Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

A cool idea for a folding bike trailer...

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 11-03-07, 08:08 AM
pengyou

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

that will double as a transporter for the folded ebike itself. My idea is to make a trailer with (probably smaller - 12") wheels that can be toted behind the folding bike. The interior dimensions of the trailer will be such that when the bike is folded it will fit exactly into the trailer. The hitch will compress a bit but will serve as the handle to tote the folded bike along through the airport, train station, bus station, etc. The trailer may even compress a bit itself (become much less narrow) so that when it is being used as a trailer it can hold more goods.
Old 11-03-07, 08:59 AM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Something like this, but bigger?

https://www.rad-innovations.com/Carry...y_freedom.html

--sam
Old 11-03-07, 09:12 AM
Pine Cone

Bikes: 2-many...2 road bikes, 2 fixed wheels, 3 tandems, 2 recumbents, 2 cyclecross, 3 mtb, 4 folders

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
It's a great idea, but Bike Friday beat you to it

I couldn't find a picture on their current website, but they are using a Samsonite F'Lite with a bolt-on frame and wheel assembly that looks to be using 12" wheels. They use air-hose couplings to attach the trailer to the bike.
Old 11-03-07, 11:30 AM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Do you mean this?

https://www.bikefriday.com/newtravelsystem

--sam
Old 11-03-07, 01:24 PM
cmcanulty

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I made a setup from trash parts, cost me all of $3.00 mainly as the suitcase was $2 at a thrift shop, then less than a buck for washers and clip pins. It wouldn't do for a long tour but fine for airport to town or short rides. To make it good for long trips just buy 2 small wheels with bearings or take a kids bike from junk and use those wheels. My suitcase that had the folding bike in it bungees to wheel setup, I put my other suitcase in the bike suitcase and go. Email me for pics, I'm away from home now so can't send pics
Old 11-03-07, 06:52 PM
pengyou

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sigh...too late..the story of my life
Old 11-03-07, 09:44 PM
Pine Cone

Bikes: 2-many...2 road bikes, 2 fixed wheels, 3 tandems, 2 recumbents, 2 cyclecross, 3 mtb, 4 folders

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pengyou
Sigh...too late..the story of my life
Yeah, but the good news is you now KNOW you had a really good idea!
Old 11-04-07, 04:58 AM
EvilV
Bicycling Gnome

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pine Cone
Yeah, but the good news is you now KNOW you had a really good idea!
And you can still build your trailer. The fact that someone else has made one doesn't affect yours at all. You can still make one for very little cash and have the satistaction of doing it.
Old 11-06-07, 01:43 PM
stevegor

Bikes: lots... even a Raleigh twenty !!!

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My wife just bought our 16 yr old son a pipe bender set and I bought him a mig welder....NOW he can make any damn trailer he wants
Probably make one very similar to my BoB Ibex for our MTB camping adventures....and even downsize one for a R20.

Last edited by stevegor; 11-06-07 at 01:47 PM. Reason: incomplete post
Old 11-07-07, 01:21 AM
ppyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As part of my investigation of a new touring bike i have considered the Bike Firday NWT among others and recently seen a Pocket Rocket with the Samsonite trailer setup. I found the trailer was quite heavy, not something i would like to lug around on top of luggage load. Im not a big fan of double wheel trailers and would prefer a single wheel design, ie Bob or Extrawheel. I was thinking if one could make a foldable/collapsable case that could fit the folded bike, incorporate a trailer frame and be single wheeled? Is this asking too much?

A folding bike...why not a folding trailer to boot!
Old 11-07-07, 08:49 PM
pm124
Car free since 1995

Bikes: M5 Carbon High Racer, Trek Emonda SL6

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I use the same trailer Bike Friday uses (https://www.bikerev.com/). I bought a reconditioned trailer for $100 on eBay. I then just drilled the holes in my Samsonite Oyster, and viola! You have to make sure to use the right frame attachment clip. For my Birdy, the C-clamp works well.

This is a very high quality trailer. The wheels roll better than my Chris King hubs. They contain two sealed cartridges and spin for quite a while.

You know the trailer is back there, especially when it is full. I was carrying about 50 pounds on my 10 mile commute to work today into a headwind and was fine, though it cost me about 20% of my journey to work time. On the way home, I was back up to normal with a nice tailwind and an empty suitcase.

There are two problems. First, you must mount it horizontally. Thus, you really need an orange flag if you want cars to see it. It would be a mess if a car bumped it because it's firmly attached to your frame. Second, you can't squeeze through tight spaces as well.

However, it was fine with potholes and rough surfaces. The tires a Kenda 40PSI. I love it.
Old 08-02-20, 04:38 AM
Bfreesun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do a google search for rolling folded eBike .

im not allowed to post a link but I found a solution for rolling my Fiido D2s. Carbo I think but there are lots of videos
Old 08-02-20, 06:29 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Thirteen year old thread.