Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

LOOK!! This is why Basso,Ulrich Out Of Tour:Drugs!!

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

LOOK!! This is why Basso,Ulrich Out Of Tour:Drugs!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-06, 01:56 PM
PedalMasher
214/13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Astana-Würth leaves the Tour

Dutch television's sports anchorman Mart Smeets has just reported that the Astana-Würth team has left the Tour de France. The team had five of its Tour riders officially named in the Operacion Puerto affair (Sergio Paulinho, Isidro Nozal, Allan Davis, Alberto Contador, Joseba Beloki), as well as several others (Michele Scarponi, Marcos Serrano, David Etxebarria, Angel Vicioso, Unai Osa, Jörg Jaksche), and of course ex-team manager Manolo Saiz. The team therefore wouldn't have had enough riders to start.

In an official statement, Active Bay, the team's management company, confirmed the news. "In view of the content of the dossier sent to Spanish authorities, Active Bay has decided, in accordance with the Ethical Code signed between the UCI ProTour's teams, to withdraw from the Tour de France those riders that appear in the above-mentioned dossier.

"This decision is adopted without prejudice of the respect to the right to the presumption of innocence of these riders and of that Active Bay will exercise the actions for the defence of its rights and those of its workers. This measure does not concern the team's riders of the Tour de France that are not included in the dossier: Alexander Vinokourov, Andrey Kashechkin, Carlos Barredo and Luis León Sanchez. Nevertheless, the withdrawal of the riders that appear in the above-mentioned dossier implies that the Tour of France team will not have the minimum number of riders demanded by the UCI rules, which means the team will not be able to take the start tomorrow morning in the Tour de France."

The organisers of the Tour, ASO, were already determined to refuse to allow Astana-Würth to start, despite a ruling from the Court of Arbitration for Sport that said it could.

Poor Vino, he does his part and doesn't get caught yet still can't ride!

Last edited by PedalMasher; 06-30-06 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-30-06, 01:59 PM
fruitless
In Transition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ggusta
how could I possibly resist the urge to be bitter, disenchanted, angry, hateful and cycnical. Sign me up!

Truth is, been where you mind is at (not in cycling, of course, just in general)

Frankly, it didn't work for me like it seems to be working for you. Takes a lot of work and I was always having to ramp it up another notch. Eventually, I made peace with all that

I'm sorry I stumbled into your world, obviously "inclusiveness" on this thread ends when someone doesn't agree with the dominant paradigm. I have been successfully run off the thread.

Good job. Your work is done here.

PS: and who has tested positive in the wake of this recent scandal? I am still waiting to hear that just for my own edification.

https://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/PAFA.html
Old 06-30-06, 02:02 PM
gurana
Tête de Limace

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Nevada City; ~1987 Peugeot US Express; ~1985 Panasonic Sport 500

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've been reading this stuff all day now, and there's a point that was kind of left by the wayside a little bit ago:

Someone asked earlier about the rider's presumption of guilt in this case; that all it takes is an implication and you can be banned from the TdF. This is ostensibly done in the name of taking a hard stance against doping. That is both the Tour coordinators' and the individual team's choice. The philosophy hinges on the idea that it is better to err on the side punishing a not-guilty party by mistake than it is to let a cheater race because there's not enough evidence to support an allegation. I have no truck with this decision other than it opens the whole process up to sabotage. Seriously, if all someone has to do is muster up enough 'evidence' at a key moment in time to get key people out of the loop, then that makes the whole process that much more simple. It's the professional cycling version of the Salem Witch trials (maybe I missed it, but I'm surprised no one has referenced that yet)

Please don't confuse my questioning of this point as questioning of whether or not these people were rightly kicked out. I do not know what the decisions were based on; articles up to this point vary from "their names were simply on the list" to "there was substantial evidence supporting the allegations". If the former is true, then perhaps they need to be a little more restrictive in what they use as the threshold for kicking people out. If it's the latter, then it seems to me like the system is working.

I did find interesting the ESPN piece on this:
Originally Posted by espn
T-Mobile received information implicating Ullrich, Sevilla and Pevenage from Tour organizers, including documents from the Spanish government, team spokesman Luuc Eisenga said.

"The only thing I can tell you is that the information is clear enough and didn't leave any doubt," he said.

Another T-Mobile spokesman, Stefan Wagner, told Germany's n-tv television that the team was acting on information indicating "that there was contact between the two riders and Rudi Pevenage and the Spanish doctor ... who is at the center of this doping story."

Asked whether T-Mobile would consider cutting ties with Ullrich completely, he replied "certainly ... we are now demanding evidence of his innocence."

"If this evidence can be provided, then we have a completely new situation," he said. "If it cannot be provided, nothing will change about this situation."
Even though, as far as I have read, none of this evidence has been made public, we can speculate that it would have to be pretty solid. These guys, at least T-Mobile, are essentially leaving their riders to the lions. It's rare when a team doesn't advocate for their players, when there's any chance of innocence... Unless of course, they knew about the doping and now they're hoping to cleanse themselves by burning sinners (or those which were caught anyhow).
Old 06-30-06, 02:02 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cooker
Take a sample of blood in a slender glass test tube. Spin it in a centrifuge so all the red cells sink to the bottom and the clear plasma rises to the top. The red cells should take up less than 50% of the tube. That percentage is the hematocrit. If the cells take up more than 50% of the tube, that is strong evidence of EPO usage. It means the person's blood can carry more oxygen, which helps them output power at a higher and longer level, but it also means that the blood is thick andy syrupy and might clog up the narrow coronary arteries, causing a heart attack.
Best explanation I ever heard. Thanks.
Old 06-30-06, 02:03 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Which includes the risk of being outed and banned.
Yup. I think they should be kicked out. But they knowingly add something dangerous to their body; arguing that 'they might die, and need to be protected from themselves' is ludicrous, in my opinion.
Old 06-30-06, 02:06 PM
gurana
Tête de Limace

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Nevada City; ~1987 Peugeot US Express; ~1985 Panasonic Sport 500

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalMasher
Astana-Würth leaves the Tour

Dutch television's sports anchorman Mart Smeets has just reported that the Astana-Würth team has left the Tour de France. The team had five of its Tour riders officially named in the Operacion Puerto affair (Sergio Paulinho, Isidro Nozal, Allan Davis, Alberto Contador, Joseba Beloki), as well as several others (Michele Scarponi, Marcos Serrano, David Etxebarria, Angel Vicioso, Unai Osa, Jörg Jaksche), and of course ex-team manager Manolo Saiz. The team therefore wouldn't have had enough riders to start.

In an official statement, Active Bay, the team's management company, confirmed the news. "In view of the content of the dossier sent to Spanish authorities, Active Bay has decided, in accordance with the Ethical Code signed between the UCI ProTour's teams, to withdraw from the Tour de France those riders that appear in the above-mentioned dossier.

"This decision is adopted without prejudice of the respect to the right to the presumption of innocence of these riders and of that Active Bay will exercise the actions for the defence of its rights and those of its workers. This measure does not concern the team's riders of the Tour de France that are not included in the dossier: Alexander Vinokourov, Andrey Kashechkin, Carlos Barredo and Luis León Sanchez. Nevertheless, the withdrawal of the riders that appear in the above-mentioned dossier implies that the Tour of France team will not have the minimum number of riders demanded by the UCI rules, which means the team will not be able to take the start tomorrow morning in the Tour de France."

The organisers of the Tour, ASO, were already determined to refuse to allow Astana-Würth to start, despite a ruling from the Court of Arbitration for Sport that said it could.

Poor Vino, he does his part and doesn't get caught yet still can't ride!
Yea, he got screwed... we can argue about wether or not this was just his Kharma, but this certainly sucks for him... Maybe next year, he'll find another team to lead. Any chance that he'll be 'drafted' by one of the other teams... considering that they start tomorrow?
Old 06-30-06, 02:07 PM
Contra Fixie
Cubicle warfare

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No way to ever clean up any competition - see game theory's "Prisoner's Dilemma":

https://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/PRISDIL.html
Old 06-30-06, 02:08 PM
JT52

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PSV-10, '00 Schwinn Moab 2, '01 Airborne Valkyrie, '04 Surly Cross-Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If all those guys doped...there is no way armstrong didn't.
Armstrong is NOT a doper until proven so. Period. Anyone who thinks differently obviously doesn't believe in "innocent until proven guilty". And there simply is no proof. Anecdotal evidence is BS.
Old 06-30-06, 02:10 PM
Devil
Since Ever Since

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuter
Who cares as long as I'm entertained. Ride for me monkeys! Ride!
LOL!
Old 06-30-06, 02:11 PM
Devil
Since Ever Since

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TYB069
Hopefully one of these riders is going to say "Screw this, I'm not taking the fall by myself, I'm taking everyone down with me."
That's what I'm waiting for too. Think Simeoni but on a much larger scale.
Old 06-30-06, 02:12 PM
TYB069

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Contra Fixie
No way to ever clean up any competition - see game theory's "Prisoner's Dilemma":

https://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/PRISDIL.html
Man, I hated econ so I didn't pay much attention. But from what I remember, you are correct about that.
Old 06-30-06, 02:15 PM
Ibikeowa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Armstrong made a point of vigorously defending the whole sport of cycling, not just himself. He was either way out of the loop (unlikely) or was lying.
Old 06-30-06, 02:16 PM
daytonian
elitist jerk

Bikes: CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would imagine the teams were not only provided with text documentation of rider relationship with Fuentes but also video or cd's of their riders entering this guys office. I would bet most are on tape with time and date visible.
Old 06-30-06, 02:19 PM
Devil
Since Ever Since

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's get something straight. Obviously, Lance has never taken a performance enhancing drug. He has always been 100% clean. How do I know? Because he's my hero!

P.S. Jose Canseco is my second hero. I would also like to be a member of the 40-40 club.
Old 06-30-06, 02:20 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer
How to clean the sport though? I really couldn't give a rat's ass about Lance, he's one guy in a sport dominated by cheating. Besides Lance STILL hasn't been paid his Tour bonuses, THAT'S what he's been fightin' for. Now he may never get the dough.
This is where I fall in. Out of the hundreds of UCI pros there are maybe 10 that have a snowball's chance in Hell of getting on the podium. Those ten or so guys are in a league of their own within the pro peleton but when fighting amongst themselves they're in a position where 1-3% can mean the difference between 1st and 5th.
I say with or without drugs those same ten guys are still were they are...the order they place just changes depending who is on what.
Old 06-30-06, 02:22 PM
waltergodefroot
Retired Pro Rider/DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuter
Who cares as long as I'm entertained. Ride for me monkeys! Ride!
Spoken like a fan and not a competitive cyclist.
Old 06-30-06, 02:23 PM
PedalMasher
214/13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dial_tone
This is where I fall in. Out of the hundreds of UCI pros there are maybe 10 that have a snowball's chance in Hell of getting on the podium. Those ten or so guys are in a league of their own within the pro peleton but when fighting amongst themselves they're in a position where 1-3% can mean the difference between 1st and 5th.
I say with or without drugs those same ten guys are still were they are...the order they place just changes depending who is on what.
A massive generalization, but a good point. There are two competing camps on Lance now.

Those who think he's a genetic freak and beat everyone fair and square. The other contenders were forced to dope to try to compete with him.

He doped just like the rest of them.

I'm still in the first camp. This is getting so big that I think someone may in fact blow the whistle and I'm reserving judgment until that moment.
Old 06-30-06, 02:26 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
Wow there is some serious carnage in the fallout. AG2R has a serious GC contender now? ha
Its all a French conspiracy to get Moreau and Voekler on the podium.
Old 06-30-06, 02:28 PM
Warped

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
George Bush is my Hero - what's he been smokin' - Richard Nixon?
Old 06-30-06, 02:29 PM
Moochers_Dad
a blend of wit and charm

Bikes: Serotta Fierte and a 1989 Centurian Prestige (plus, various others)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer
How to clean the sport though? I really couldn't give a rat's ass about Lance, he's one guy in a sport dominated by cheating. Besides Lance STILL hasn't been paid his Tour bonuses, THAT'S what he's been fightin' for. Now he may never get the dough.

He did get paid. He won the lawsuit against the insurance company, SCA and got an additional 2.5 million dollars. The total payout was $7.5 million.
Old 06-30-06, 02:30 PM
TYB069

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Its all a French conspiracy to get Moreau and Voekler on the podium.
Funny but I think Moreau seriously has a really good chance right now. As for Voekler, after watching him in 2004, I think it would be great to see that kid win.
Old 06-30-06, 02:32 PM
superstator
Man about town

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR1, '85 Team Fuji

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zabriskie. He is being a psycho robot, remember? And robots don't have hematocrit to f with.
Old 06-30-06, 02:43 PM
jjmolyet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by galen_52657
Just like the computer hackers are always ahead of the computer defenders. The dopers are ahead of the dope detectors.
Think bigger, testing has time on its side, and little viles of evidence they can test forever! Dopers can be ahead but testing will catch up.
2008 Gary Fisher X-Caliber 29er
.........that's how I Roll.
Old 06-30-06, 02:47 PM
Pizza Man
Racing iS my Training

Bikes: 07 Bianchi San Jose, 08 Tarmac SL2, 05 Cervelo P3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A massive generalization, but a good point. There are two competing camps on Lance now.

Those who think he's a genetic freak and beat everyone fair and square. The other contenders were forced to dope to try to compete with him.

He doped just like the rest of them.

I'm still in the first camp. This is getting so big that I think someone may in fact blow the whistle and I'm reserving judgment until that moment.
+1

I still plan to enjoy watching the tour, and I really don't think I'll notice if it's 1 MPH slower.
Old 06-30-06, 02:47 PM
GGDub
Dog is my copilot.

Bikes: Lemond Maillot Jaune, Specialized Stumpjumper, Kona Jake the Snake, Single-Speed Rigid Rocky Mtn Equipe, Soon-to-be fixed Bianchi Brava

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jjmolyet
Think bigger, testing has time on its side, and little viles of evidence they can test forever! Dopers can be ahead but testing will catch up.
The problem is EPO and traces of EPO don't stay in the blood forever, but its effects stick around, that's why its still can be used with little (relative to other PED's) risk. David Millar should sell his story of how he did it to the press so he can buy back his apt. in Biarritz.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.