Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Damn dogs..!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Damn dogs..!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-06, 02:25 PM
Mavericks House

Bikes: C'Dale R1000....may be going Trek Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn dogs..!

I'm gonna' kill em...! Finally got the courage to leave our 16 month English Setter home alone and out of his crate. Big Mistake....! Thought we had everything put away......but the white bast!@# found my Nikes down the hall..!!! Not much left of the right shoe, but a cleat was salvaged on the Left.

Anyways, it's been two years since I bought a pair......any recommendations on a middle of the road pair....? I'm running Ultegra SPD-SLs on my R1000......
Old 07-07-06, 02:41 PM
Mo'Phat
Scum, Freezebag!

Bikes: 2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want Nike again, the Poggio is pretty nice...Carbon soles are pretty hard to chew through.
Old 07-07-06, 02:46 PM
bsyptak
Luggite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll have to add that benefit to my already long list of reasons not to have a pet. The spiders that live indoors are sufficient.
Old 07-07-06, 02:53 PM
nova
hill hater

Location: norton ohio 5.5 miles from center road tow path trail head

Bikes: cannondale t400 1987 model and a raleigh gran prix from 1973

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont know why people are so intent to " crate train" dogs. Ive had in my life half a dozen dogs both inside and out and none were prone to chewing up shoes etc and none were ever put n a crate. Yet many of my friends and neighbors sware by it and at the same time are in constant fear their dog will chew up another pair of shoes or socks or the legs on a coffee table.
Little tip on the dog shoot it... j/k well sort of. What you want to do is catch the dog in the act of chewing somethign he should not be. Go to the local 5 and dime/dolar store buy a pair of cheap shoes any will do and leave them where you pooch can find them. Wait for him to begine enjoying his new chew toy. Get a nice rubber band and some note book papper. Make a little folded dart out of the papper roll it up then fold over want about 2 inches of paper. now shoot him square in the rear with it. Make sure he dont see you.
Rinse and repeat untill he gives those shoes alot of space when he walks by them. Watch him for a few days with other shoes. If he or she starts in on another pair shoot in butt again.

Could also use a good airsoft gun as well but those damn plastic bbs end up every where and a real pain to sweep up wih the vacume out of carpet.
What this is is adversion training. You basically inducing a irational fear of the shoes in the dog. It also works with the road. Got a dog that wants to head for the road put them on a leash get a nice switch and walk them take them to the road and smack them on the butt with the switch. Dont need to do it hard. Walk some more walk towards the road if they resist keep pulling them a bit to try and make them go on the road. The dog will adventualy go again switch on bottom. walk some more to the road etc. When the dog realy starts to refuse to go praise them.

Keep doing this adventualy you wont be able to drag the dog to the road they will litterly pull you away. In the end what you will have is a well behaved dog that all you need for a leash is a little switch that all you ever do with it is point.

Whats realy funny is i did this with our mini pin (that i still dont trust to go out by her self ) is she sees the switch and knows shes going out side. She hops up and down and acts like a total goof. I can just tap her on the side ito get her to go where i want. Best thing to do with the switch you use is play with them with it so its not somethign they are afraid of. Slapthem gently on the but and just generaly get em riled up.

And oh yeh ditch that damn useless crate your just makeing your life harder when it comes to you and your dog.

Now as for the shoes ive not bought any in god knows how long.
Old 07-07-06, 02:53 PM
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my dog has never chewed on things that don't belong to her. well..except when i my ex and i lived together.

it's all in how you teach them.

btw, if you're looking for a very good, inexpensive shoe, try lake. they rock.
Old 07-07-06, 02:56 PM
nova
hill hater

Location: norton ohio 5.5 miles from center road tow path trail head

Bikes: cannondale t400 1987 model and a raleigh gran prix from 1973

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dog hair
my dog has never chewed on things that don't belong to her. well..except when i my ex and i lived together.

it's all in how you teach them.

btw, if you're looking for a very good, inexpensive shoe, try lake. they rock.
i bought some lakes years and years ago. Non clipless shoe but had a very very stiff sole. I ended up having both shoes snap the sole inhalf about 4 years after i bought them. I glued the crack back togather with epoxy and they lasted another 4 .

I love the damn things they looked realy good were very confrotable and just lasted for freakign ever.
Old 07-07-06, 08:08 PM
Mavericks House

Bikes: C'Dale R1000....may be going Trek Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dog Experts

Guess I opened myself up to this......

This isn't my first dog, I know how to train them, I will keep my crate and continue to use one. This dog is a Field Trial bred setter.....they have energy. I'm dealing with it properly. No, won't kill him.

Back to shoes.....anybody own Nike Altea 11 Plus...? Any issues with the ratchet buckle? Why a Carbon Sole?
Old 07-07-06, 08:56 PM
Silverexpress

Bikes: Commuter(s), MTB(s), bent(s), folder(s) and a road.

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What's a switch?
Old 07-07-06, 09:37 PM
Pedal Wench

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about instead of shooting stuff and hitting the dog, you just shake an empty soda can filled with some pennies. The noise startles the dog, giving the same effect as hitting him, without hitting him.
Old 07-07-06, 10:11 PM
TYB069

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pedal Wench
How about instead of shooting stuff and hitting the dog, you just shake an empty soda can filled with some pennies. The noise startles the dog, giving the same effect as hitting him, without hitting him.
My girlfriend insisted on doing that rather than using the swift kick method. It worked for a while but eventually he just ignored it.

As far as shoes, no one has mentioned Specialized yet. They make some decent mid-range shoes.
Old 07-07-06, 10:20 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never worried about dogs when I was riding my hard-shelled recumbent. Not a lot of dogs around here.