Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

which gets stolen more in NYC?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-07, 08:21 PM
pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek

Bikes: 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2005 Cannondale R1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know you should use an old beater if u lock up on the street but I get conflicting advice as to whether old school mtbs (ie, no shocks front or rear) or road bikes (down tube friction shifters, drop bars) are more of a theft magnet. I am led to believe the flat bar mtb is targeted for delivery use while a vintage road frame with horizontal dropouts may be prized by fixie fans.

This assuming both get locked up the same and are of equal brand name recognition, comparable value in terms of frame quality and component level, and level of wear and tear.......

any thoughts? I own and commute on both but am wondering whether one should stay off the street on an all-day 9-5 basis.
Old 05-22-07, 08:48 PM
TYB069

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If a professional thief were to know that their value was about equal, I'd guess their value to said theif is probably equal as well. I think some crackhead looking for 5 bucks really isn't going to care either. I think the only preference is for cheap locks or poorly locked bikes.
Old 05-23-07, 06:14 AM
Bob J

Bikes: 2007 Globe City 3.1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lock it up near someone who has a nicer bike.
Old 05-23-07, 06:16 AM
R.A.D.

Bikes: 2002 Colnago Classic

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can bring your bike in with you do so. If not lock it up tight and hope for the best. I'm not sure if there's any rhyme or reason to which bikes are stolen. If you have a nice bike then it's a target.
Old 05-23-07, 06:39 AM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've always heard that mountain bikes with shocks are the biggest target in general.
Old 05-23-07, 06:21 PM
KLW2

Bikes: 88 Schwin Voyageur, 84 Schwinn World Sport, 85 Univega Alpina Uno, 85 Fuji Espree, 09 Novara Strada, 06 Jamis Durango, 03 Specialized Expediton Sport, 09 Surly LHT, 12 Novara Gotham

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just returned from a week in Manhatten and every bike I saw, had to be hundreds, had what looked to be the NY forgetaboutit chain on it. Not sure that I saw even one bike with downtube shifters, most were either single speeds or MTBs ridden by messengers and delivery riders. watching them ride around and through traffic was amazing...not sure I'd have the nerve to try it....good luck with whatever you do!
Old 05-23-07, 06:34 PM
old and new

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As far as NOT gettin' stolen you're better-off with a scratched, somber-colored bike. A crappy looking seat's a plus too. These days : Specialized, Bianchi (less so the drab-green or greyish) are trhe stand-outs. An old DiamondBack or Centurion are plenty ugly. I'm from NYC and the area. If they want to swipe a bike,they will. Many ways, with or without a lock. Years ago,a Lotus had to be sat on to not get stolen. Panasonics would draw thieves to stake-out the bike. Get an ugly bike to use and have enough $$ left-over to get a nice one,for the park or weekend rides, spending the time ON the bike. NYC folkes like bling. When I worked at Rolls Royce dealer, many clients chose Bentleys because they were more "under-cover" Literally !! The hood orniments on a Rolls were conspicuos under the car covers.
Old 05-23-07, 07:03 PM
deputyjones
Striving for Fredness

Bikes: Old Giant Rincon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob J
lock it up near someone who has a nicer bike.
Yeah, I have never lived in NYC, but I consider bike security to be like running from a bear. You don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than your friends.
Old 05-23-07, 10:57 PM
pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek

Bikes: 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2005 Cannondale R1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is true - there are lots of nice bikes that seem to survive on my block ( a major road) and they are locked in the same place every day. This includes track bikes, mtbs and road bikes, all with more new tech bling than mine. so I am confident in that sense that a thief would choose their rides over mine.

fwiw I have a nice road bike for weekends and these two older bikes, just curious whether road or mtbs are clear winners (losers?) in the bike theft world.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.