Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Clif Shots Discontinued

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Clif Shots Discontinued

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-23, 08:43 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
Should still be ok as long as the package has not been opened

Old 04-14-23, 09:24 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
How about the Cadbury eggs, my kids liked them.
The inside is a gel consistency and they will give you that fast sugar rush, but the crash after downing a 4pack is rough.

From my limited experience, I've only tried three brands and about 8 flavours, the difference for me always came down to taste, they all seemed a similar consistency but the taste determined which were buying again. Gu has a raspberry that I've liked the best of the ones I've had but their plain, unflavoured was also the absolutely more disgusting gel of them all.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 04-14-23, 09:53 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

I have a buddy that likes to use gummies...

Old 04-14-23, 10:00 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I have a buddy that likes to use gummies...
Brownies, too, or just gummies? 😉
Old 04-14-23, 10:02 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
Based on the amount of traction he's gained in the responses, this last point is debatable.
Good traction…but lousy rolling resistance.
Old 04-15-23, 05:53 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Should still be ok as long as the package has not been opened
I picked up another just in case.
Note that at thefeed.com you can order individual packets if you want to mix and match.
Old 04-15-23, 06:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
For the scientific minded... how long past the 'expiration date' can a Clif Shot be eaten safely? I do have a box of the Mochas still in a closet, but the sell-by date was May 2022.

For non-perishable goods like hermetically sealed packets of syrup, the expiration date is probably meaningless. Expiration dates are at least as likely to be determined by the marketing department as they are anything scientific.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-15-23, 07:24 AM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by Eric F
Brownies, too, or just gummies? 😉

Well, I've never seen him with brownies, but I wouldn't rule it out

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-15-23, 12:46 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Have you tried the Cliff Shot Blocks? Once I discovered the shot blocks I have never looked back on the Cliff Shots. The only problem I have with the shot blocks is that in cold weather they turn into little frozen rocks and can take some time to chew through. If I am thinking I will put the shot blocks in my glove to warm them up before hand.
Old 04-15-23, 01:03 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I'm another Hammer Gel user. Their 6 oz. squeeze bottle is just the thing. Refill it out of the pint bottle. The only garbage is the pint container, which it takes a while to go through. It's easier to drink from the squeeze bottle than mess with some plastic packaging while trying to ride a bike. I think their gel is decent in the mouth. Normally I use a bottle of homebrew carb on the bike, but sometimes I get behind and need a little boost.

A racer I used to ride with told me how much energy Hammer Gel gave her, so I asked what flavor she like best. "Oh, the Espresso." She didn't realize it wasn't just espresso flavor.
Old 04-15-23, 02:31 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
For non-perishable goods like hermetically sealed packets of syrup, the expiration date is probably meaningless. Expiration dates are at least as likely to be determined by the marketing department as they are anything scientific.
Yes. Sterile is pretty much an absolute - if it wasn't sterile when it went into the packaging, it would have exploded long ago. Expiration dates are put on things because an expiration date is required. They are often meaningless like an expiration date on a sealed bottle of sterile distilled water.

Bobcat Goldthwaite used to have a joke about Twinkies, that they had a shelf life of 20 years. He said, "So if you ate a Twinkie that was 20 years and one day old, would you say, 'Yuck - is there something wrong with this Twinkie?'"

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-15-23, 03:55 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
They are often meaningless like an expiration date on a sealed bottle of sterile distilled water.
Yeah.. Heck in that vein I've wondered why the bottle of 99% Rubbing alcohol I have has an expiration date (which has passed quite a while ago now)?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 04-15-23, 04:27 PM
jaxgtr

That is like Honey, the dude I get it from bottles his own from his bees, has to put an best by date, but as long as you don't get water in the container, honey will never go bad.

Old 04-15-23, 04:46 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I'm another Hammer Gel user. Their 6 oz. squeeze bottle is just the thing. Refill it out of the pint bottle.
The squeeze bottle is perfect for racing. Much easier than carrying a whole bunch of gels and then getting your hands (and your handlebar and the insides of your jersey pockets) all sticky.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-15-23, 05:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Yeah.. Heck in that vein I've wondered why the bottle of 99% Rubbing alcohol I have has an expiration date (which has passed quite a while ago now)?
If it gets too old, it might rub you the wrong way.
Old 04-16-23, 08:50 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I love clif shots, but I do hate how messy they are.
I always end up with sticky fingers and sticky jersey pockets.
This thread has me thinking about switching to clif blocks.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-16-23, 09:00 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I'm another Hammer Gel user. Their 6 oz. squeeze bottle is just the thing. Refill it out of the pint bottle. The only garbage is the pint container, which it takes a while to go through. It's easier to drink from the squeeze bottle than mess with some plastic packaging while trying to ride a bike. I think their gel is decent in the mouth. Normally I use a bottle of homebrew carb on the bike, but sometimes I get behind and need a little boost.

A racer I used to ride with told me how much energy Hammer Gel gave her, so I asked what flavor she like best. "Oh, the Espresso." She didn't realize it wasn't just espresso flavor.
This was one aspect of these I really hated while still doing group rides. So many folks would tear open with teeth, consume, and throw the wrapper to the ground. The whole route was littered with these from YEARS of people doing the same thing. I advocated for people to stick them back in their jersey and often got looked at like I had a cat stapled to my forehead or something. They were more often apt to litter than have some sticky trash in a jersey they had to wash anyway.
Old 04-16-23, 10:10 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by Juan Foote
This was one aspect of these I really hated while still doing group rides. So many folks would tear open with teeth, consume, and throw the wrapper to the ground. The whole route was littered with these from YEARS of people doing the same thing. I advocated for people to stick them back in their jersey and often got looked at like I had a cat stapled to my forehead or something. They were more often apt to litter than have some sticky trash in a jersey they had to wash anyway.
Very interesting. That must be a cultural thing. Around here . . . I don't think I've ever seen a gel wrapper on the road. Maybe Washington State is a hippie paradise or something. I do see banana peels sometimes though and for sure those are from cyclists. But those are organic, right? Nasty though - they're ugly and slippery. I was on a group snowshoe with my droogs* one time and a guy just threw his banana peel into the woods. My wife made him go get it. We really were hippies back in the day.

*droogs - from A Clockwork Orange, an anglicized version of the Russian word for comrades
Old 04-16-23, 03:12 PM
jaxgtr

Very interesting. That must be a cultural thing. Around here . . . I don't think I've ever seen a gel wrapper on the road. Maybe Washington State is a hippie paradise or something. I do see banana peels sometimes though and for sure those are from cyclists. But those are organic, right? Nasty though - they're ugly and slippery. I was on a group snowshoe with my droogs* one time and a guy just threw his banana peel into the woods. My wife made him go get it. We really were hippies back in the day.

*droogs - from A Clockwork Orange, an anglicized version of the Russian word for comrades
Yea I would agree, I live in Florida, so not a hippy paradise, but I can say, I've never seen a gel package on the ground, cigarette butts and edger blades, completely different story. I don't understand why people have to throw their cig butts out on the ground, and I once counted about 9 edger blades on the side of the road over a 50 mile route.

Old 04-16-23, 04:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts

I don't see a lot of gel or other snack wrappers hereabouts, certainly not enough to suggest that hordes of cyclists are tossing them on ground. BUT I have had the experience of getting home, going through my jersey pockets, and failing to find the gel wrapper I KNOW I put there. I felt really guilty! Thereafter I am careful to jam the wrapper all the way down in the pocket, so now my housekeys are a little sticky, but at least I didn't litter!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-16-23, 04:26 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12194 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse

Got any recommendations for other decent gels?
Gu.

Esp. the Chocolate Outrage. I even wrote a love song to it

It had to be Gu,
Impossible Gu,

I wandered around a finally found a snack that was true

(you get the idea).

They have a ton of new flavors now, but as one of the worlds top chocholics, all I care about is the chocolate.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DKIKX0DER&th=1

Last edited by late; 04-16-23 at 04:31 PM.
Likes For late:
Old 04-16-23, 05:45 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
SIS works well and is easy to get down. Maurten is also good but really expensive.

I've mostly given up on gels as you need a ton of them to properly carb up at 60-90g/hour, that's 3-4 gels an hour which is ridiculous. I make my own carb drink mix:
100 parts maltodextrin
80 parts fructose
3 parts salt
1 part sodium alginate

You can find all of the above in bulk easily online. I add one True lime or orange packet per bottle and about 70g of the above. This costs about $0.65/bottle. I make 2kg of it at a time. This stuff will not bother your stomach and absolutely keeps you going. Carbing properly has changed how I train.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 04-16-23, 06:35 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by Hiro11
SIS works well and is easy to get down. Maurten is also good but really expensive.

I've mostly given up on gels as you need a ton of them to properly carb up at 60-90g/hour, that's 3-4 gels an hour which is ridiculous. I make my own carb drink mix:
100 parts maltodextrin
80 parts fructose
3 parts salt
1 part sodium alginate

You can find all of the above in bulk easily online. I add one True lime or orange packet per bottle and about 70g of the above. This costs about $0.65/bottle. I make 2kg of it at a time. This stuff will not bother your stomach and absolutely keeps you going. Carbing properly has changed how I train.
By weight?
Old 04-18-23, 05:53 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
By weight?
Yes. I use a kitchen scale and a large mixing bowl to measure everything out.
Old 04-18-23, 06:14 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Tuck the empty gel packet under the leg hem of your bibs. Won't get the other stuff in your pocket sticky.
Likes For shelbyfv:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.