Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What are the biggest wastes of time in bike maintenance?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What are the biggest wastes of time in bike maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-23, 04:58 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Biggest waste of time in bike maintenance? That varies by rider.

Some riders like to keep their bike impeccably clean, others don't. Some riders meticulously torque every fastener at every maintenance routine, others don't. Some riders clean and lube their chain regularly, others don't. I know of one rider long ago that re-wrapped his handlebar tape at least once a month whether it needed it or not. Whatever rolls yer socks. Live and let live.

What's the biggest waste of time in bike maintenance? There isn't one. People do what they enjoy. Go ride.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 04-09-23, 05:04 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

I turned the bars a couple degrees and it was AWFUL! Everything felt bad, and it made me doubt how much I loved the bike, till I turned them back to the original angle and suddenly it was Nirvana again.
It's amazing, that. Same for me but it's saddle adjustment. Once I get it where I love it, I mark the seat post and the seat rails with Blue Sharpie. Last summer I noticed that my bike started to not feel the same, it was sluggish, slower, couldn't corner right, etc. I didn't know what it was but it was a gradual thing. Finally I decided to get to the bottom of it.

When I loosened the seat my blue Sharpie mark was about 1/4" below the top of the seat tube. I thought the line had just rubbed off. Got the seat post where it was supposed to be tightened the bolt and PRESTO!! My old bike was back!
Old 04-09-23, 06:49 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
When I loosened the seat my blue Sharpie mark was about 1/4" below the top of the seat tube. I thought the line had just rubbed off. Got the seat post where it was supposed to be tightened the bolt and PRESTO!! My old bike was back!
Vinyl tape on one side of seat post flush with top of seat tube to mark position, tape ~1/8” above the top to see if post has slipped.
Old 04-09-23, 07:27 PM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Changing out chains, cables, pads, tires before their time

And, yes, I've done all of them

Ya buying more new tires so that you can purposely puncture the current ones to see how big of a hole the sealant can plug. Then of course Cos of the supply shortage before, hoarding more new tires when you find some.
Old 04-09-23, 08:48 PM
drlogik 

"... hoarding more new tires when you find some.
​​​​​​​Or keeping the old ones, you know, just in case...(who, me?)
Old 04-10-23, 07:39 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
Vinyl tape on one side of seat post flush with top of seat tube to mark position, tape ~1/8” above the top to see if post has slipped.
Bright (red or yellow) tape. Early warning system. Visually sticks out a little, but when you see a wrinkle, it's really noticeable.
Old 04-16-23, 07:28 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
For me, by far the biggest waste of time is waxing my chain.

I have to turn on the crock pot to melt it. That takes over 0.2 sec.

Then I have to put the chain in when it has melted. That also takes over That takes over 0.2 sec.

Then I have to stir it around for 10 seconds.

Finally, I have to pull it out, which again takes over 0.2 sec.

That is more than 10.6 seconds of my life I will never get back.
I ran waxed three chain rotations on three bikes for about two years a few years ago. I agree that waxing is not more time-consuming than wet lubes, but every single waxed chain I've used ended up rusting quickly. That's a total deal-killer for me as rusting basically kills a chain and once it starts to rust you'll never be able to stop it from rusting further. This was especially irritating for me as I take very good care of my bikes. I don't ride in rain ever. I don't ride in mud ever. I store my bikes indoors in a dedicated bike storage room with a dehumidifier. I do sweat heavily, I suspect that's the culprit. Still, I was careful to wipe down my chain after every ride. I have never had rusting issues with wet lubes (forget about dry lubes) in 35 years of riding.

I went back to using carefully-applied Silca Synergetic (one drip per roller). I degrease every couple hundred miles with WD40 (which has the added benefit of displacing any moisture) and then re-lube with the Silca stuff. This routine takes maybe ten minutes every 200-250 miles and results in a very quiet, clean running drivetrain that will never rust.
Old 04-16-23, 08:43 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I ran waxed three chain rotations on three bikes for about two years a few years ago. I agree that waxing is not more time-consuming than wet lubes, but every single waxed chain I've used ended up rusting quickly. That's a total deal-killer for me as rusting basically kills a chain and once it starts to rust you'll never be able to stop it from rusting further. This was especially irritating for me as I take very good care of my bikes. I don't ride in rain ever. I don't ride in mud ever. I store my bikes indoors in a dedicated bike storage room with a dehumidifier. I do sweat heavily, I suspect that's the culprit. Still, I was careful to wipe down my chain after every ride. I have never had rusting issues with wet lubes (forget about dry lubes) in 35 years of riding.
Eventually. But just using a chain also kills it eventually. I consider rust as a cosmetic these days. With a good wax rust doesn't really migrate inside the chain where it matters.

Our rusting issues are much improved after turning to waxing. Wet lubes just couldn't cut it in winter time.
Old 04-16-23, 09:17 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
I've never had rust. We have had over 70" of rain in the last few months, and I keep the bikes in a cold, probably damp, garage. (I don't ride in the rain.)

What kind of wax did you use the first time around?
Old 04-16-23, 09:47 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
I consider rust as a cosmetic these days.
Rust can stiffen links. If a stiff link can't be worked loose, you have to replace the chain or it will cause skipping.
Old 04-16-23, 10:08 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
I went back to using carefully-applied Silca Synergetic (one drip per roller). I degrease every couple hundred miles with WD40 (which has the added benefit of displacing any moisture) and then re-lube with the Silca stuff. This routine takes maybe ten minutes every 200-250 miles and results in a very quiet, clean running drivetrain that will never rust.
WD-40 doesn't displace moisture from surfaces. If you think it removes water from metal surfaces, congratulations. You've been taken in by marketing hype.

On a dry surface, WD-40 leaves a thin layer of very light oil, which will make it slightly harder for water to reach the surface. On a wet surface, it just lies there.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 04-16-23, 10:52 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Rust can stiffen links. If a stiff link can't be worked loose, you have to replace the chain or it will cause skipping.
That's true if you leave a chain untreated for too long and leave it to rust for too long. However a good wax (paraffin or better) shields the inside portions of a chain as long as the treatment lasts. The durability of the wax treatment varies but we've gotten around 200km or two weeks worth in wet salty winter conditions. The bikes are kept in an unheated garage and are not dried or cleaned between uses.

the end result is that the chains look pretty gnarly on the outside but are pristine on the inside. I've taken chains apart to verify this.
Old 04-18-23, 06:08 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
WD-40 doesn't displace moisture from surfaces. If you think it removes water from metal surfaces, congratulations. You've been taken in by marketing hype.

On a dry surface, WD-40 leaves a thin layer of very light oil, which will make it slightly harder for water to reach the surface. On a wet surface, it just lies there.
This uniquely irritating combination of smugness, bizarrely misplaced aggression, patronizing arrogance, assumption that everyone else is a moron, dismissiveness, seeing any declarative statement as a challenge and neckbeard-style "acktuwally" is very on-brand for this forum. It's bike chains people, relax.
Old 04-18-23, 08:06 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
This uniquely irritating combination of smugness, bizarrely misplaced aggression, patronizing arrogance, assumption that everyone else is a moron, dismissiveness, seeing any declarative statement as a challenge and neckbeard-style "acktuwally" is very on-brand for this forum.
He is not wrong. WD-40 is a mixture of chemicals that are hydrophobic. It does not, nor cannot, displace water. If you are going to degrease, you should just use the solvent that is in the WD-40 without the oil. Mineral spirits are readily available at hardware stores and cost less.

It's bike chains people, relax.
I agree but people want some complicated cleaning procedure so that is seems like they are “doing something”. Bikes shouldn’t need to be degreased and cleaned every 200 miles. After all, “it’s bike chains”.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-18-23, 08:33 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

This uniquely irritating combination of smugness, bizarrely misplaced aggression, patronizing arrogance, assumption that everyone else is a moron, dismissiveness, seeing any declarative statement as a challenge and neckbeard-style "acktuwally" is very on-brand for this forum. It's bike chains people, relax.
It appears that I may have hurt your feelings. Did I hurt your feelings?

Old 04-18-23, 10:25 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
He is not wrong. WD-40 is a mixture of chemicals that are hydrophobic. It does not, nor cannot, displace water. If you are going to degrease, you should just use the solvent that is in the WD-40 without the oil. Mineral spirits are readily available at hardware stores and cost less.
WD actually stands for Water Displacement. But most people misunderstand what that means. That means if there is WD-40 already on a surface, it will repel water. That does not mean you can spray WD-40 on a wet surface and water will magically go away or "be displaced". Rather the water that is already there will actually repel the WD-40. Not sure what type of proprietary chemicals are in the substance, but I wouldn't be surprised if WD-40 is mostly a mixture of oil and mineral spirits with a few other chemicals.

See how marketing works?
Old 04-18-23, 11:00 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts

I agree but people want some complicated cleaning procedure so that is seems like they are “doing something”. Bikes shouldn’t need to be degreased and cleaned every 200 miles. After all, “it’s bike chains”.

You forgot, wiped down after every ride. Unless every ride is through mud and rain.

Old 04-18-23, 12:13 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

I wouldn't be surprised if WD-40 is mostly a mixture of oil and mineral spirits with a few other chemicals.
You guessed it. WD-40 is mostly mineral spirits, with just a dash of 10W oil (if my memory hasn't failed).

It was originally formulated to spray over ICBMs to prevent corrosion.

Old 04-18-23, 01:46 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
You guessed it. WD-40 is mostly mineral spirits, with just a dash of 10W oil (if my memory hasn't failed).

Any serious nuclear power waxes their missiles.
Old 04-18-23, 03:39 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

WD actually stands for Water Displacement. But most people misunderstand what that means. That means if there is WD-40 already on a surface, it will repel water. That does not mean you can spray WD-40 on a wet surface and water will magically go away or "be displaced". Rather the water that is already there will actually repel the WD-40. Not sure what type of proprietary chemicals are in the substance, but I wouldn't be surprised if WD-40 is mostly a mixture of oil and mineral spirits with a few other chemicals.

See how marketing works?
I would seriously question if WD-40 actually stays on the metal when water is present. Water is nonpolar and heavier than oil. Metals have more of an affinity of water than it does for the nonpolar oil in the WD-40. That’s partly why we have to keep adding oil to chains and why we really shouldn’t say that oil stands up to water while riding. The action of riding is going to mix the oil and water into an emulsion which will break when pedaling stops and the oil will float on the water with most of the water clinging to the metal.

Other than the chemical used for scent, there isn’t much that is proprietary in in WD-40. It’s mineral spirits and a light oil in a 75/25% split.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-18-23, 03:42 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by rsbob
You forgot, wiped down after every ride. Unless every ride is through mud and rain.
I probably won’t even wipe down after mud and rain. I think I still have cow crap on my dual suspension bike from a ride I did in 2018.

Old 04-18-23, 04:49 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

I use WD-40 to remove tree sap from my hands or whatever, clean up grease on car parts. Sounds like plain mineral spirits might work better, but isn’t as convenient as a quick spray.

Old 04-18-23, 04:51 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

I probably won’t even wipe down after mud and rain. I think I still have cow crap on my dual suspension bike from a ride I did in 2018.
I sure don’t do it. Only when things look pretty grimy- the pulleys usually indicate when things need to be cleaned.

Old 04-18-23, 04:54 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4956 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Any serious nuclear power waxes their missiles.
Safety tip: Missile waxing may damage visual acuity.
Old 04-18-23, 05:02 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4956 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
I prefer to start rides on a clean bike. This was my bike on Sunday afternoon after a 78 mile gravel event. When I got home yesterday, I hosed off the dirt and wiped it down before I put it away in my garage. Before I ride it again, it will get a fresh coat of drip wax on the chain.

My gravel bike and MTBs generally get a hose and wipe after every ride. Maybe not the same day, but at some point before I ride that bike again. My road bike doesn't always get wiped down after every ride because it generally sees much less harsh conditions. I would guess it averages about every 3-4 rides (approx. 120-150mi).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.