Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Basic Cadence Meter?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Basic Cadence Meter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-23, 05:30 PM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Basic Cadence Meter?

I'd like to get a basic and reliable cadence meter and odometer for my road bike.

It should cost less than $50, be easy to install & operate as well reliable in all kinds of weather including cold & rain. I ride off the grid periodically so it shouldn't be dependent on cellphone networks.

If it will track data on my phone great but it's not a requirement.

Any recommendations?
Old 10-23-23, 06:12 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
You may need to go above $50, especially if you want wireless with smartphone or Garmin integration.
Google "bike computers with cadence".
If you are willing to buy used and don't mind wired and not "smart", used Cateye Astrale 8 can be found on E-bay for well under $50, I am sure there are others but this is what I have used.
Old 10-23-23, 08:03 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
You can get Magene sensors for under $35 from Amazon. They work with phone apps. You don't need cell coverage to use the sensors. They communicate with your phone over the Bluetooth interface.

I run "Cyclemeter" on my phone. Costs $10 per year and does exactly what I want.

I use a bar mount to hold my phone. Mine is made of aluminum and came off of eBay. They are cheap. Just be sure that the mount you get has long enough fingers to hold your phone or your phone case.

All told, it should run you about $60.00 for sensors, mount for phone, and software.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 10-23-23, 10:06 PM
Paul_P

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
I have a Cateye Strada Cadence on my bike. Simple, wired.

Might be just a bit more than the 50$ you're aiming for.
Old 10-24-23, 09:40 AM
kyleputzier

Bikes: Trek FX Sport 4, sixthreezero grocery getter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
I use a Coospo BC107 ($40) and their cadence sensor ($17). Does all the usual metrics.

Kyle
Old 10-24-23, 09:55 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
XOSS speed and cadence sensors cost me under 20 US for the pair on ebay and a free phone app called SuperCycle. I already had the RAM mount for my phone since I was already using it for a bike computer with the GPS function. I found the sensors to be much more reliable but still use the GPS function simultaneously for mapping my rides. Magene are almost the same as XOSS-Blue tooth connectivity. HTH
Old 10-24-23, 10:00 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,304 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by BROOKLINEBIKER
Any recommendations?
You can always just count your pedal strokes for 15 seconds and then multiply that number by 4 to get your cadence. After you've done that for a while, you'll probably be able to estimate your cadence pretty accurately without counting.
Old 10-24-23, 10:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Both Wahoo and Garmin make a cadence sensor that is both Ant+ and Bluetooth enabled for < $40. With either of those and a app on your smart phone you can connect to it and record your cadence along with the app using your phones GPS to record your track, speed and distance so you can look at it later. Or even while cycling if your phone shows well enough in the bright sun and you don't mind the extra battery drain.

The Ant+ or Bluetooth will allow you to use that sensor with most any of the common GPS/Cyclometer makers should you later decide to pony up the money for a decent head unit. IE. Garmin or Wahoo.

Some of your more inexpensive wireless sensors might depend on a proprietary standard that limits you to always using that particular brand. Which being the inexpensive brand might break or quit in a year or two. So buying better quality can be the difference between 12 or more years of use vs just a couple years of use before it breaks.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-24-23, 01:02 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
The Garmin cadence meter used to be right at $50, and installation involves two rubber bands. Easy, reliable, affordable.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 10-25-23, 01:41 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
Check out the sub-forum https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...hting-gadgets/. You might see other answers to your question there.
Old 10-27-23, 06:54 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I'd like to get a basic and reliable cadence meter and odometer for my road bike.

It should cost less than $50, be easy to install & operate as well reliable in all kinds of weather including cold & rain. I ride off the grid periodically so it shouldn't be dependent on cellphone networks.

Any recommendations?
Assuming you have a wristwatch, the most basic method is to note a time on your wristwatch, touch your pulse and start counting, riding one-handed. When you have to stop, notice the time and the nynber you counted to, and write them down. Next step up, go digital, but see what Walgreen's, Osco Drugs or Cosco sell. All of these wll be cheaper, though less capable than an Oura.
Old 10-27-23, 06:57 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts

Any recommendations?
Assuming you have a wristwatch, the most basic method is to note a time on your wristwatch, touch your pulse and start counting, riding one-handed. When you have to stop, notice the time and the nynber you counted to, and write them down. Next step up, go digital, but see what Walgreen's, Osco Drugs or Cosco sell. All of these wll be cheaper, though less capable than an Oura.
Old 10-30-23, 08:21 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul_P
I have a Cateye Strada Cadence on my bike. Simple, wired.

Might be just a bit more than the 50$ you're aiming for.
Used one for years, but it seems to be out of production (or at least darned hard to find) now.
Old 10-30-23, 12:17 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Both Wahoo and Garmin make a cadence sensor that is both Ant+ and Bluetooth enabled for < $40. With either of those and a app on your smart phone you can connect to it and record your cadence along with the app using your phones GPS to record your track, speed and distance so you can look at it later. Or even while cycling if your phone shows well enough in the bright sun and you don't mind the extra battery drain.

The Ant+ or Bluetooth will allow you to use that sensor with most any of the common GPS/Cyclometer makers should you later decide to pony up the money for a decent head unit. IE. Garmin or Wahoo.
This. I use a set of Wahoo speed and cadence sensors with the Wahoo smartphone app via Bluetooth. Both work well indepedent of the weather (at least where I ride). The cadence sensor comes with a rubber case that covers the sensor and attaches to the crank arm. Very easy to install.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)