Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Compass tire rolling resistance

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-18, 07:55 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

Compass has been independently tested for rolling resistance: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...-jon-pass-2018

I have the Compass 700x32 Stampede Pass on a vintage Cyclocross bike. This bike gets used on chipseal and limestone paths and the tire is reliable. I'll be the first to admit, it's on this bike for aesthetics. It's natural tan sidewall is perfect on a lugged Italian bike with Campagnolo. But it's not a rugged tire for any kind of gravel and my vintage Cyclocross bike doesn't get abused. Several other of my vintage bikes use the tanwall Vittoria Corsa G in either the the 700x25 or 700x28. This is my favorite tire for vintage road bikes.

I have several tires that are faster rolling on chipseal & gravel that are more rugged than the Compass tires. The Vittoria Hyper is a great all-around tire for 50/50 road/gravel. Like the Hyper, the slick Panaracer Gravelking is both rugged and fast rolling. I also use the 700x28 Continental 4000 S II, this tire measures 32mm wide on a 24mm wide rim. The 4000 S II is more rugged than the Compass tire, but like the Compass tire, it's not ideal for challenging gravel. It has incredibly low rolling resistance, however.

The 700x38 Hutchinson Override is fast rolling and is rugged enough for almost any gravel. You can have it all, if your willing to use a tubeless tire that is nearly a slick.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 03-30-18 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-30-18, 08:51 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
The Bon Jon would be a great tire to use if you wanted to validate the rank order accuracy of these drum tests. It performed abysmally on Tom Anhalt's drum as well.
Meanwhile, these results don't seem to square with Tour's test apparatus, which on a good surface had the Bon Jon at 6bar seeing lower rolling losses than the GP4000SII at 7bar (Jarno's data has the reverse by about 3 watts).
BQ's own measurements suggest that the drum tests are perhaps inaccurate in how they capture the crr effects of tread compound, and that they significantly overemphasize it.

It's all a big mess. Makes me want to get a power meter, really.

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
But it's not a rugged tire for any kind of gravel
Unprotected tires on rough/loose surfaces need to be wide enough to not have lots of sidewall exposure. I haven't had any trouble offroad with my Rat Traps, but they're also enormous and so rarely need to be run at very extreme drop.

I think Stampede Pass would be one of the more difficult Compass tires to ride on its namesake, if that road is still the way it was last summer.

Last edited by HTupolev; 03-30-18 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-30-18, 09:01 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
But how does it fare on the suppleometer?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-30-18, 09:05 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Can be a good tire if you don't care about puncture resistance.
This is what puts me off squandering my life savings.
Old 03-30-18, 09:06 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
I have to wonder if the differences seen on these rolling resistance tests are actually noticeable on the road or just bragging rights. Kind of like which hub spins the longest. Do you really notice a difference?

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 03-30-18, 09:17 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by CV-6
I have to wonder if the differences seen on these rolling resistance tests are actually noticeable on the road or just bragging rights. Kind of like which hub spins the longest. Do you really notice a difference?
Tire style and quality has a significantly larger performance impact than most other sorts of components choices on a bike. Whether it's actually significant is a matter of opinion. My gravel bike sped up by about 1mph when I switched to Rat Trap Pass ELs from the previous slicks that were on it, which had a basic 30TPI casing and used a puncture-protection belt under the tread. I considered that a very large performance difference.

Bearings are much less significant... a different order of magnitude in their effect.
Old 03-30-18, 09:39 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 273 Posts
I’ve been using Compass Extra Lights for a few years now with two flats over that time; one pinch flat I caused when I first got these tires by going too low on air for the conditions while testing tire pressures, the other due to glass on the road that’d get most any good performance tire. Neither was a surprise. And now that I’ve said that I’ll get a flat tomorrow...

Tire pressure matters for longevity on gravel, especially the larger jagged variety. Mind the sidewalls. I’ve found I need less pressure than originality thought for good performance on the road and off. Lower pressure allows the tire to better conform to surface irregularities rather than fighting against them. To a point, of course, and that needs to be balanced to road miles for a given route, etc.

I’ll need to replace my second pair due to high mileage rather than some failure on the road/trail unless I’ve jinxed myself here (I probably have). YMMV, but I’ve had a good experience with them. The cost spread over the mileage has worked out, especially considering I very much enjoy their ride feel. I also coast faster downhill than my riding buddies.

FWIW, the friend I ride with the most has been using Soma Cazaderos for about the same time I’ve been using Compass ELs and has had many more flats over that time. There’s more at play than just tire construction in my opinion.

Last edited by Sir_Name; 03-30-18 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-30-18, 10:18 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Meh. I'm skeptical about some of these laboratory results.

Recently, the German magazine TOUR published a table showing the five fastest tires in the world. We are excited to see our Compass Bon Jon Pass 700C x 35 mm tires on this list, in the company of the fastest racing tires. A 35 mm-wide tire on a list that otherwise includes only tires between 23 and 26 mm wide!
So, is it a just OK rolling touring tire, or one of the five fastest tires in the world?
Old 03-30-18, 10:26 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
They'll measure 20 watts or so lost on the drum, but what about the hundreds of watts that might be dissipated in the rider's body on bumpy roads?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-31-18, 12:13 AM
Scottybigs 

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur SP | Sekine SHS-271 | Wabi Special

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
...yeaaaa, putting "compass tires" and "rolling resistance" in the same sentence effectively ignores the point of Jan Heine's existence.

If you want a comfortable, fast tire with decent puncture resistance - you'll love Compass tires.

If you want your tires to roll at x watts +/- 8finity bar demon pressure - you may never find happiness.
Old 03-31-18, 09:18 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 97 Posts
Yes. The Compass tires weaned me off sewups. Great, great clincher tires.
Old 03-31-18, 09:20 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Unprotected tires on rough/loose surfaces need to be wide enough to not have lots of sidewall exposure. I haven't had any trouble offroad with my Rat Traps, but they're also enormous and so rarely need to be run at very extreme drop.

I think Stampede Pass would be one of the more difficult Compass tires to ride on its namesake, if that road is still the way it was last summer.
Yes, the 700x32 Compass Stampede Pass is useful as a chipseal and crushed limestone tire but I would not recommend it for rural gravel roads unless those roads are perfectly constructed and maintained. Strada Bianchi, si! Rural Ozarks, no.

A 32mm wide tire is a good size for the kind of C&V bike ideally being used at L'Eroica events. These include the Peugeot PX10 or Motobecane Grand Record. These models with centerpull brakes and indented chainstays can fit a 32mm wide tires in many cases. Larger gravel tires are usually impossible to fit on most C&V bikes.

For rural gravel roads on a modern gravel or Cyclocross bike, the tubeless 700x36 Donnelly MSO is a good choice. I currently use the 700x38 tubeless Hutchinson Override and the 700x40 Vittoria Terreno dry.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 04-03-18 at 05:15 AM.
Old 03-31-18, 10:00 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
I considered that a very large performance difference.
So over the course of a 6-hour ride, you can ride an additional 6 miles.

Why don't you start your ride with those 6 miles?
Old 03-31-18, 10:16 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
What I wonder is how Compass tires compare to the other half dozen or so boutique re-branded Panaracer tires currently being sold. I'd assume most of them or about the same if not identical. Comparing weights probably gives a good idea of what casing was used.
Old 03-31-18, 10:36 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
But how does it fare on the suppleometer?
You need a special suppleometer that goes up to eleven.
Old 03-31-18, 12:34 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I would much rather have a 4000 s2 in 32mm than the compass tire tested. The 4000 rolls with far less resistance and is far better than Compass tires for resisting punctures. Compass tires are essentially old tech compared to the 4000 s2. S2 is a much better compound. I have tried compass tires and was completely unimpressed. Better tires are available for ess money. For awhile the compass tires were the only offering in the bigger tire for touring but in the last couple years they have been outclassed.

Last edited by Chrome Molly; 03-31-18 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-31-18, 12:53 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,841 Times in 2,232 Posts
Do these tire widths and terrain generalizations on the tires discussed - also apply to their tubulars???

I run:
Schwalbe 30mm (no knobs) for reasonably maintained, hardpack off-road;
32/33mm (with knobs) for lesser maintained off-road or anything off-road with twisty descent.
A mountain bike (clinchers) for anything tougher, choosing either rigid or front suspension, depending.

edit: I'm in the camp that says these rolling resistance figures that everyone worships are nebulous at best, misunderstood by many. Fine for laboratory analysis, mostly useless on the road (unless you are racing at a highly competitive level).

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-31-18 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-31-18, 02:15 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
What I wonder is how Compass tires compare to the other half dozen or so boutique re-branded Panaracer tires currently being sold. I'd assume most of them or about the same if not identical. Comparing weights probably gives a good idea of what casing was used.
Yeah, the appeal of Compass-style tires for me isn't that any part of their construction is all that special, but the combination of features: folding beads and file treads on a light-ish casing with no anti-puncture belts. Paselas tick a couple of those boxes, but you can't get the folding bead without the Kevlar belt. And the decorative sipes in the tread just invite small sharp things to get wedged in and cause punctures.

Panaracer Pari-Motos tick all the boxes without extreme prices, so I am pretty content on the 650B front.

I was interested in the "Fairweather for Traveler" 700C tires at first, but their prices keep inching up toward Compass's.

I scored a good deal on a pair of Compass Naches Pass tires last fall -- gonna try those on my 26" bike soon. If I get addicted to those, I may have to buy a few extras as there doesn't seem to be much like them for that wheel size.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-31-18, 02:37 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I was interested in the "Fairweather for Traveler" 700C tires at first, but their prices keep inching up toward Compass's.
That's kind of my point. It seems like people expect other 'brands' like Fairweather to be cheaper than Compass, because they aren't the real thing. But they are all made by Panaracer anyway. It looks to me like the Fairweathers are the exact same tire as a Chinook Pass with a different label.

FWIW I ran Fairweather Travelers pretty much all of last year. Nice tires, and they are clearly a step up from Panaracer Paselas. Very smooth ride. Surprisingly good off road. I got some Gravel Kings recently. I'm kinda thinking they're the same tire. We shall see. They don't come in gum wall like the Compass and Fairweather tires though.
Old 03-31-18, 02:57 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
I have 2 sets of Bon Jon Pass tires that I really like.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 03-31-18, 02:58 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
While the Compass tires are made by Panaracer, they are not re-branded Panaracer tires. The design is from Compass, unique to their tires. Panaracer is the contractor who makes them for Compass.
Old 03-31-18, 04:33 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
I love the ride and performance of my 28 & 32mm Compass tires, and recently reached 3000 miles on my first pair! (with only one flat) I have no reason to try any others, and at that mileage, not even cost is a consideration. YMMV... I'm a lightweight and always default to the clean part of the travel lane.

I have not tried their "extra lights" as the standard casing is plenty fast (and light) enough for me.
Old 04-01-18, 08:18 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I love the ride and performance of my 28 & 32mm Compass tires, and recently reached 3000 miles on my first pair! (with only one flat) I have no reason to try any others, and at that mileage, not even cost is a consideration. YMMV... I'm a lightweight and always default to the clean part of the travel lane.

I have not tried their "extra lights" as the standard casing is plenty fast (and light) enough for me.
Someone here posted that there was a BIG difference in ride quality between the standard and EL versions. I can't say myself, but it might be worth considering since you already notice and appreciate their qualities.
Old 04-01-18, 03:16 PM
palincss

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
That is quite an assumption.
Old 04-02-18, 08:49 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I think this is one of those things where what you feel is not necessarily accurate. A 23 mm tire pumped up to 130 psi or some ungodly pressure will definitely feel faster than a 32 mm tire at 65 psi. You will really notice a difference. The point, however, is that though the narrow tire at high psi feels faster, it isn't really faster.

I have the Compass Rat Trap Pass (2.3") tires on one bike, and I must admit they feel slow. It is really hard to get over that "oh these tires feel so slow!" feeling. I know, I know, according to tests they are no slower than narrower tires. But they sure feel slow.

Dynamo hubs are the same; if you turn the axle with your fingers, you feel a lot of resistance. If you put them on your bike and ride, you feel this vibration. When you feel these things, you conclude this thing you're feeling must be slowing you down. Tests show that it doesn't slow you down much at all; but it's very hard to believe it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.