Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Allez Sprint Headtube

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Allez Sprint Headtube

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-22, 10:35 PM
bmeans7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Allez Sprint Headtube

I recently bought a new Specialized Allez Sprint and I noticed this strange mark on the head tube. I'm worried this might be a fold in the metal that could weaken it. I know the new Allez Sprint's have a head tube that is made from a flat piece of aluminum. Could this just be a mark from the tool that formed the head tube, or does anyone have any other ideas. Thanks for any input.
Old 12-19-22, 11:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
I am not seeing anything particularly alarming. You could take it back to the dealer and have them evaluate it which will be easier because they can see and feel it more easily.

Specialized does have a lifetime warranty on their frames for the original owner so keep an eye on it if it doesn't bother too much and if things change have them warranty it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-20-22, 10:36 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
I wouldn't be worried about it. Might be just a sign that the person cleaning the weld wasn't paying attention. Nothing that's going to affect the safety and integrity of the head tube.

Certainly nothing I'm going to notice while I'm passing you on the bike.
Old 12-20-22, 11:08 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
The whole design has been a bit controversial, but I doubt that what you're seeing is a "fold" in the metal; it looks more like file marks to me. As for its construction, I assumed that the head tube was hydroformed, but Specialized only says that "it's the most complex alloy headtube we've ever made."

Regardless, I'd probably go ahead and ride it as is, unless/until it shows some sign of weakness.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 12-20-22, 12:27 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
This is bf example #196 of why I don't examine my bikes very carefully. It gets in the way of just enjoying them.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-26-22, 11:55 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
As for its construction, I assumed that the head tube was hydroformed, but Specialized only says that "it's the most complex alloy headtube we've ever made."
If you look down the headtube with the fork removed, you can see the headtube and the extensions of the top tube and down tube are all a single piece of hydroformed aluminium. There's what appears to be a longitudinal weld seam along the bottom of the headtube/down tube junction, but it has been ground smooth. Specialized says that they designed the headtube assembly to move the welds away from areas of highest stress which is why it looks the way it does. It's definitely a bit weird looking. I also wonder why Specialized didn't grind all of the welds down as so many other brands do. The welds on these frames are particularly chunky, to the degree that it looks deliberate. Perhaps Specialized determined the additional welding material was necessary to strengthen the frame? Maybe it was a cost-saving measure (on an already high-priced aluminum frame)?

One other neat bit of engineering on this frame: the downtube and entire bottom bracket shell are all one piece of hydroformed aluminum. The forming is super complex on this tube. It's a shame this is in largely hidden area because it's actually the coolest looking part of the frame.
Old 12-29-22, 06:26 PM
bmeans7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the input everyone, I really appriciate it. I took a video as well to get it to show up better. If any one has any other insights I would appreciate it.