Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Tire help - Cross bike on technical single track

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-23, 04:39 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts

Been riding the local MTB trails with my son - roots, rocks, mud, 10-15% up, 10-15% down with little in-between.

My Pathfinder Pro 33mm are just not cutting it. My front end has washed out more than I like.

Giant TCX, 45mm clearance.

Looking to go tubeless, something better on singletrack, but still OK on gravel and even paved trails.
Old 12-18-23, 04:51 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
I'm not sure how they are in mud, but for the loose-over-hard conditions that are common in my area, the Pirelli Cinturato Gravel M is an excellent tire - grippy and predictable. My confidence level (speed) on singletrack is much improved over the Challenge Getaway Pros I was running before. I'm currently* using the Pirelli M on the front and the H in the rear for a balance of hard conditions rolling speed and cornering grip. I don't expect the H will do well in the mud at all, and I do battle tire spin on steep kickers when the conditions are a bit loose.

* I will be trying a Tufo Thundero/Swampero combination starting this week.
Old 12-19-23, 07:18 AM
Dino_Sore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Get a mountain bike?

But seriously, I've always felt that I could ride just about anything on any gravel tire if I rode slowly and carefully. I used to use 32mm Gravelking slicks for mixed-terrain rides that always seemed to turn into mountain bike rides. However, if you are washing out you're front tire while chasing your kid on a mountain bike, you need tires with meaty knobs when you lean over. I'd suggest something along the lines of a Maxxis Ravager. I use a 40mm Kenda Flintridge for my heavy gravel rides. That's a great all-around gravel tire that can take on some pretty tough terrain, but I don't know how it would be if you pushed it hard in turns. (I never go that fast).

But, get a mountain bike. We all need more bikes.
Likes For Dino_Sore:
Old 12-19-23, 09:27 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
I know... I need an MTB. I'm already at my limits taking care of 8 bikes for 3 riders... my son is 12 and rough on his equipment.

And like everything else, farking MTB's are $$$$$.
Old 12-19-23, 09:49 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
You need to pick the tire you want for the riding you want to do. If you want to stick with cross sizing I'd go with the Challenge Grifo if there's a good mix of mud or the kenda small block 8 for drier, why neither comes in a 38c or 42c idk but they should, especially the kenda which comes in an actual mtb size. For wider and more general use I'd look at the vittoria Mezkal, its a popular endurance gravel tire for its mix of mtb capability without giving up a lot on the road.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 12-21-23, 12:46 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I would mostly just put on the biggest tire I could fit. I don't think I have ever washed out a gravelking SK 43mm, and they are big enough to go over most roots without bottoming out.
I used to ride them with really low pressures, they get a little scary during hard cornering on pavement at low pressure though.

I have to admit I don't push my tires on singletrack though. There is a trail system near here that would be nice to be able to ride on my gravel bike, but it takes me 2x as long on my gravel bike as my mtb.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 12-21-23, 02:28 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
I'm with unterhausen and advise towards getting more tire volume. The 32mm tire is probably way too skinny for that riding and just volume alone goes a long way to increasing the capability.

Personally my Pathfinder Pro's in a 38mm have been great for rocky, rooty, singletrack but I am going to bump them up to 42's which I just bought. The caveat being that the trails I ride are mostly dry and the tight spacing of the PP knobs are probably not great for muddy or wet trails.

I'd get the widest tire you can find with some decently tall knobs spaced out enough to shed the mud. I guess it depends on just how muddy your trails are.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 12-23-23, 05:29 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
All I can say is go big.
Old 12-24-23, 05:13 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 129 Posts
First time on my local mixed surface trails, which includes sector single track, I used a cx bike with 32mm, hated it, sold the bike and didn’t get a cx/gravel bike for a couple years…fast forward to years later and 40’s were quite good, 47mm really good, and now 55mm is so fun.
Old 12-30-23, 11:24 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Dino_Sore
Get a mountain bike
But, get a mountain bike. We all need more bikes.
Moved to the Sierra Nevada foothills. Finding trails are much steeper and looser then my coastal trail. Tried a nice loop. Had fun, but needed more tx. Wheel spin on uphills! My Surly Cross Check was little under gunned for the ride. Came home, and found a real mt bike that'll work for me. Gotta love CL! Almost done with the rebuild.......

blessCL
Old 01-01-24, 02:43 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed

Looking to go tubeless, something better on singletrack, but still OK on gravel and even paved trails.
WTB Raddler 700 x 44 is surprisingly good on singletrack, not optimal but pretty good if you know how to ride.
Old 01-01-24, 06:19 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
Been riding the local MTB trails with my son - roots, rocks, mud, 10-15% up, 10-15% down with little in-between.

My Pathfinder Pro 33mm are just not cutting it. My front end has washed out more than I like.

Giant TCX, 45mm clearance.

If you have the coin I'd go ReneHerse knobby front and rear for that riding mix.

Have run a 38mm rear (steeper climbing grip across looser stuff), with 42mm front at times.
Plenty of grip. Rolling speed across paved isn't too bad.
May want to go with at minimum the Endurance casing if ploughing across things.

If you're a heavier rider, perhaps the 42mm rear. 45mm front.