Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do higher end rotors brake better?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-23, 08:01 PM
Jon_g2 

Bikes: Cannondale caad10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 22 Posts

I was told higher end rotors dissipate heat better is this true? I guess my real question would be if ultegra is better than 105 which is what I would be upgrading to. If I'm not mistaking there isn't necessarily a "105" or "ultegra" rotor but I do have part numbers written down. I would be going from SLX-RT70 to CL800.

I love to climb because it only means I get to fly downhill on my way back home and if I can get better braking performance I definitely see the value in upgrading to high end rotors. If this is true, would dura ace then be better than ultegra performance wise? All info is highly appreciated.
Old 12-21-23, 08:15 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Some rotor designs are better at dissipating heat than others, but my understanding is the pads have much more to do with stopping power. I -prefer organic as they have less tendency to squeal. With that said, a 180 rotor will probably be better at stopping than a 160. I've only had 160 rotors on my bikes and I found the stopping power enough to lock up the tires. Anything more than that is kinda unnecessary really

Last edited by SpedFast; 12-22-23 at 10:52 AM. Reason: inches--millimeters It was late
Old 12-21-23, 09:21 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Have you had problems with braking on descents? If so, please describe them, and people can offer helpful suggestions.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-21-23, 09:31 PM
Jon_g2 

Originally Posted by Koyote
Have you had problems with braking on descents? If so, please describe them, and people can offer helpful suggestions.
My bike can in yesterday with shimano 105 and it's my first bike with disc brakes and I wanted to see what components I can upgrade for better performance. I started doing research and this guy from a bike shop told me he'd upgrade the rotors because ultegra provides better heat dessipation. Now he's not a technician so I didn't know if to believe him lol.

No but seriously, it's not that I didn't believe him, but I'm just getting different people's thoughts in the matter.
Old 12-21-23, 09:33 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Jon_g2
My bike can in yesterday with shimano 105 and it's my first bike with disc brakes and I wanted to see what components I can upgrade for better performance. I started doing research and this guy from a bike shop told me he'd upgrade the rotors because ultegra provides better heat dessipation. Now he's not a technician so I didn't know if to believe him lol.

No but seriously, it's not that I didn't believe him, but I'm just getting different people's thoughts in the matter.
My thought: you should probably ride the bike before deciding that some component is not good enough for you.
Old 12-21-23, 09:37 PM
Jon_g2 

My thought: you should probably ride the bike before deciding that some component is not good enough for you.
Yes you pose a good point. But I don't want to find out on a descend that the cheapest rotors that shimano provides aren't very good at desisipating heat lol
Old 12-21-23, 10:08 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
It is not uncommon for bike manufacturers to cheap out on rotor quality. I would use IceTech XT/Ultegra finned rotors. I also don't recommend cheaping out on the pads. At the absolute worst, you are spending a few dollars more than you need to.

If the cheap rotors discolor, they are over-heating.
Old 12-21-23, 10:54 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
I've had cheap rotors with organic pads and they worked fine, and I've done some super downhills.
The pads wore out quickly is about the only downside.
I say keep what you have for now, wait until they wear out before looking at replacements
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 12-21-23, 11:08 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
I've downgraded rotors becasue while the Ultegra (CL800) are supposed to cool better, and I accept they probably do, I found them hard to true. They use a sandwich of steel and aluminum and my limited experience with them is they changed shaped, warped would be too strong a term, after very mild use and would rub. Never could get them to not rub for any length of time. Went with next step down, all steel rotor, and no more issue with rubbing. Others have definitely NOT had this issue with them, so I'm not saying all of these are bad.

In my case, I don't have any problem that more cooling solves. So, the less expensive rotors work fine for me.

Unless you're really pushing the brakes to their limit, I doubt you'd notice any sort of improvement in braking by upgrading the rotors.

I'm with the others, solve a problem if you have a problem.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 12-21-23, 11:12 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
If you are worried about heat buildup, you might want to consider finned pads.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-21-23, 11:42 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Based on reports from friends who either live in the mountains or ride aggressively on mountain bikes or both, pad choice is the number One factor in braking. Grippy pads might not last as long, but they will not fail under load .... Not saying your bike-shop mechanic is out to make a buck, but pads are chap and new rotors at retail price plus installation is probably good for his shop if not so much better for your braking distances.

Also as an early poster mentioned, most brakes will outperform the tires. Modulation and control are key, more than swept area. Bigger brakes won't necessarily stop you faster, but since you will be able to get the same wheel *********** with less pressure (same pressure over greater area) modulation would be easier. But it seems the pros manage with 160 mm rotors when racing down mountainsides so ... who knows?

While I have no data to back up the statement, I strongly doubt that upgrading from 105 to Ultegra would be the difference between life and death ... unless you ride so close to the edge that a mosquito or gnat could knock you over, or a butterfly cause you to crash with its wing-pressure. And if you really push to the absolute limit ... sooner or later, odds are, you will push too far no matter what gear you ride.

My actual answer is, "Sorry, I haven't a clue" but my desperate need for attention made me type all that stuff.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 12-22-23, 01:12 AM
Jon_g2 

All really, really great answers which is why I come here to ask for help. I think the general consensus is to go with better pads instead of upgrading rotors then which is what I will do. I am aware that organic pads wear out faster but do brake better which is probably what I'm gonna go with. If I'm not mistaking I read that organic pads don't like to get wet much buy I don't do much riding in wet weather. My local shop doesn't carry swisstop so I'll look only as they seem to be the best there is unless you guys recommend others.

​​
Old 12-22-23, 04:38 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
All really, really great answers which is why I come here to ask for help. I think the general consensus is to go with better pads instead of upgrading rotors then which is what I will do. I am aware that organic pads wear out faster but do brake better which is probably what I'm gonna go with. If I'm not mistaking I read that organic pads don't like to get wet much buy I don't do much riding in wet weather. My local shop doesn't carry swisstop so I'll look only as they seem to be the best there is unless you guys recommend others.

​​
IME standard 105 pads (organic) do not require an upgrade unless you live in the mountains with big days of high speed descending, in which case switching to sintered pads is a good option.

From what you have posted so far I would bet the standard 105 discs and pads will serve you fine. They are good brakes out of the box.
Old 12-22-23, 04:42 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
My bike can in yesterday with shimano 105 and it's my first bike with disc brakes and I wanted to see what components I can upgrade for better performance.
You just got a new bike which you haven't even ridden and you don't know how it handles and you already want to upgrade components ?...Makes no sense at all.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 12-22-23, 05:07 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 607 Times in 364 Posts
There are a lot of bikes with cheaper rotors than 105 so I wouldn't worry about it especially if they are your first set of discs.

Above that level a lot of it's about weight saving, so more expensive manufacturing, and a bit of heat dissipation. Unless you're braking hard for a long time on a steep descent on a hot day you'll probably be fine - certainly better than rim brakes.

That said, rotors aren't very expensive so there's no harm in upgrading.
Old 12-22-23, 05:38 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
For reference I’m 185#’s

I have 105 discs on my road bike and the bottom spec SRAM on my CX bike. The SRAM stuff is flimsy in comparison to the 105.

I ride some mountains with both setups. I’m a timid descender and I use the brakes a bunch.

I do a sketchy gravel climb on the CX bike, 1.5 miles, 15-20%+ grade… Im on the cheap brakes hard the entire way down. Smoking hot rotors, you can smell the pads… no failures.

The 105’s are even better, never an issue. I have 10k miles on the pads and rotors… granted I don’t climb very often, but they are holding up just fine.
Old 12-22-23, 06:03 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
My crazy friends who go downhill fast recommend Hardheaded Ram disc pads in DH blue, or I think the tandem set in gold or yellow, maybe? But these were mentioned in a thread about insane downhills with the absolute need for reliable braking, in one case on an MTB and in the other, on a loaded touring bike.

I have never used them or even researched them but you might want to .
Old 12-22-23, 07:01 AM
Koyote

I think the general consensus is to go with better pads instead of upgrading rotors then which is what I will do. I am aware that organic pads wear out faster but do brake better which is probably what I'm gonna go with.
​​
Your stock brake pads are organic.

Just ride your bike.

Last edited by Koyote; 12-22-23 at 07:11 AM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-22-23, 07:23 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I started doing research and this guy from a bike shop told me he'd upgrade the rotors because ultegra provides better heat dessipation. Now he's not a technician so I didn't know if to believe him lol.
Some guy as in customer or some guy as in employee? Because the employee has a job to sell you things whether you need it or not. Another customer may be trying to sound like a walking encyclopedia of bicycle knowledge.

Just take Koyote’s advice and ride the bike and see for yourself how they work.

Old 12-22-23, 07:27 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
For improved braking, I find going up a rotor size to be easiest and most noticable upgrade.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 12-22-23, 09:03 AM
Jon_g2 

Originally Posted by wolfchild
You just got a new bike which you haven't even ridden and you don't know how it handles and you already want to upgrade components ?...Makes no sense at all.
Lol you took the time to write a comment that doesn't help anyone. Thanks.
Old 12-22-23, 09:26 AM
Koyote

Lol you took the time to write a comment that doesn't help anyone. Thanks.
He makes a lot of sense, actually.
Old 12-22-23, 09:34 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
If there was a big enough overheating issue with rotors that come on anything less than the top tier bikes overheating, then I think we'd have many more people posting about their issues with rotors overheating and probably quite a few class action lawsuits on all the brands of bicycles being sold along with the makers of those brake components.

People go down long mountain roads everyday. You aren't the only one that likes to go down them fast.

If you are using your brakes a lot while going down those long mountain roads, then you are doing it wrong.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 12-22-23, 09:56 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
He makes a lot of sense, actually.
+1
You are looking to upgrade something that probably doesn't need upgrading. Ride the new bike and see if you have any braking issues that require an upgrade. I doubt you will as stock 105 brakes are pretty solid. If you find that you are cooking the rotors and the pads are fading badly on your descents, that's the time to start looking at upgrade options. At least wear them out first!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-22-23, 10:10 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
+1
You are looking to upgrade something that probably doesn't need upgrading. Ride the new bike and see if you have any braking issues that require an upgrade. I doubt you will as stock 105 brakes are pretty solid. If you find that you are cooking the rotors and the pads are fading badly on your descents, that's the time to start looking at upgrade options. At least wear them out first!
Frankly, if your brakes are fading on descents, it’s best to review the way the brakes are used! I live in mountains and do lots of steep downhills that are very often long as well. And I don’t hold back on speed. In 40 years of riding in Colorado (mostly), I’ve never experienced brake fade on any bike from cantilever equipped mountain bikes purpose used to heavily loaded road touring bikes to mountain bikes pulling trailers with camping gear to mountain bikes with bikepacking loads to tandems. In fact the tandem was pulling a trailer and used cantilever brakes.

Braking is more involved than clamping on the brakes at the top of a hill and keeping them clamped on until you hit the bottom. Pulse brake to give the brakes time to cool.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.