Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Creating an advertising name plate

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-11, 10:44 PM
owenfinn

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29er, Yuba Mundo, Dahon Boardwalk D7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

I occasionally see some old-fashioned workbikes around here with an advertising nameplate on the bike like this:

I want to make something like this for my business and put it on the Yuba Mundo. I guess I could make something out of poster board and find a shoddy way to fix it to the frame, but does anyone have any suggestions for how to make it look good?
Old 06-18-11, 08:36 AM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by owenfinn
I occasionally see some old-fashioned workbikes around here with an advertising nameplate on the bike like this:

I want to make something like this for my business and put it on the Yuba Mundo. I guess I could make something out of poster board and find a shoddy way to fix it to the frame, but does anyone have any suggestions for how to make it look good?
You can probably find a dozen local places, not to mention hundreds online, that make "corrugated plastic" ( or CoroPlast ) custom signs, with your own graphics, etc for less than $50.

If you're not familiar with it, it's the sort of material that looks like, well, corrugated cardboard, but in plastic. :-) Lay one out and you can cut it with a utility knife to whatever shape you want. It should be more than durable enough to last a couple of seasons of outdoor use on a bike.
Old 06-19-11, 08:02 AM
soappedaler

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been thinking about putting an advertisement on my cargo big, a Dummy, but more of something that would go on the back or side of the cargo. There's a lot of bike rental stores in my area and they all put tiny license plates behind the seats. I have one on my bike just because my favorite bike stores treats me special.
Old 06-19-11, 07:49 PM
owenfinn

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29er, Yuba Mundo, Dahon Boardwalk D7

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mulveyr
You can probably find a dozen local places, not to mention hundreds online, that make "corrugated plastic" ( or CoroPlast ) custom signs, with your own graphics, etc for less than $50.

If you're not familiar with it, it's the sort of material that looks like, well, corrugated cardboard, but in plastic. :-) Lay one out and you can cut it with a utility knife to whatever shape you want. It should be more than durable enough to last a couple of seasons of outdoor use on a bike.
Thanks. I haven`t seen that stuff around here - just foam poster board which probably wouldn`t be as good since it isn`t waterproof. I`ll look into it. Maybe I can find it online.

Ideally, I would like to be able to advertise upcoming group rides and tours with frequently changing, where, when and how much type info, so a sign that I can easily update would be ideal. I was thinking maybe I could sandwich signs between thin transparent plexiglass somehow(screw the plexiglass together) and hang that under the toptube space.