Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Backpack design for commuters

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-11, 09:19 AM
sparkybob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello fellow commuters,

I am a design student from Sheffield, England and I am wanting to design a backpack specifically for commuting cyclists. I am doing some research into what people actually want from a commuting backpack and what features are most important to them. Therefore, If you have a minute and wouldn't mind sharing your backpack experiences, have a look at the questions below...

Do you use a backpack on your commute at the moment? why?

If yes, which backpack do you use?

Do you carry a laptop in your backpack? If yes, do you find that this hinders the performance of you backpack?

Do you carry clothes and/or shoes in your backpack? if yes, how often do you do this, i.e once a week/every day

Do you carry things to get washed/showered once you arrive at your destination?

Do you take lunch with you? If yes, do you take this in a separate 'lunchbox' or do you just use a compartment in the backpack?

Does your backpack have a feature that improves back ventilation? if yes, how effective do you find it?

What are the key features you would look for in a commuting backpack?

Have you ever had a really bad or really good experience with a commuting backpack? If yes, why was it so good/bad?

If you have other points that you think may be worth considering, please feel free to expand below...

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experiences.

sparkybob
Old 10-16-11, 09:46 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
I carry a change of clothes, lunch, wallet, keys, repair tool, phone and a flashlight. What I look for in a bag is good stitching, especially on the shoulder straps, and good zipper/velcro. I like a high visibility color or reflective pack. Always thought a built in flashy would be nice.
Old 10-16-11, 09:49 AM
Don Gwinn
Giant-Riding Ogre

Bikes: 2005 Giant OCR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right now I use a Chrome messenger bag. It was the first thing I found at a local bike shop when I needed something better to carry a laptop and some papers. It's not a two-strap backpack, but it is designed to ride with the weight on my back for the most part, has a wide, padded strap to go over my right shoulder and a narrower nylon strap that goes around under my left arm so that the bag can't shift too far up into my head if I stop suddenly or go off the bike.

I do carry a small laptop, a 15.6", and it doesn't cause any problem. I purchased the bag specifically for the computer; everything else basically fits on my rear rack and panniers, but I wanted the computer to be somewhat insulated from the shocks and vibrations that the rear of the bike suffers daily. This bag is sized in such a way that I figure it was probably designed around standard laptops and legal-size papers and folders.

I have not needed to carry clothes or shoes; those go on my rack or into my panniers.

No showers, so I don't carry shower supplies. I have a lot of storage at my work (my own classroom) so I would leave shower supplies there if I needed them. I do have baby wipes at work so I can do a sort of FOB Shower if I need it.

I don't take lunch very often . . . right now, I walk at lunch and usually just have a meal replacement shake. If I need to bring a sandwich and an apple sometime, I have enough pannier space for it, but I believe it would fit in my bag anyway.

No specific ventilation features. I do sweat under the bag on hot days; luckily it's waterproof.

This is the first bag I've used that was designed for cyclists. The main thing that caused me trouble with the backpack I used for a few days as a stopgap was that it was an old shapeless nylon school backpack and the straps came together at the top. That meant that there was no way to adjust the straps that wasn't cutting into my shoulders. Wide-set straps to allow the shoulders to go forward naturally would be my number one concern with a backpack. Part of the reason I went with this messenger bag instead of a dedicated laptop backpack was that I hadn't seen any, even online, that looked like they were designed that way.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Old 10-16-11, 10:03 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I use a Banjo Brothers (L) backpack currently. It's big, waterproof, durable, but lacks any real organization. I carry primarily clothes (shoes I leave at work), lights that aren't left on the bike, batteries for said lights, lunch/snacks, and my helmet when I'm not wearing it.

'Must have' would be reflective bits- even on the shoulder straps and a sternum strap (preferably adjustable).

'Like to have' would be a blinky tab and helmet keeper.
Old 10-16-11, 10:03 AM
BridgeNotTunnel
TortoiseNotHare

Bikes: Giant Escape 2 Hybrid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yes, i like carrying weight on my back as opposed to on my bike and using a backpack is simple.

I have a high capacity, standard quality, Jansport I found cheap, 40$.

Do you carry a laptop in your backpack? If yes, do you find that this hinders the performance of you backpack?

I do not carry a laptop.

Do you carry clothes and/or shoes in your backpack? if yes, how often do you do this, i.e once a week/every day

I carry a full change of clothes (business casual attire) everyday. I have a travelon brand single outfit organizer that slips nicely into my largest compartment.

No.

Do you take lunch with you? If yes, do you take this in a separate 'lunchbox' or do you just use a compartment in the backpack?

I currently do not carry lunch but I have often considered doing so. I would likely pack my lunch inside the backpack.

Does your backpack have a feature that improves back ventilation? if yes, how effective do you find it?

This backpack does have a groove in the foam on the back to facilitate airflow, but for this model backpack I don not believe the groove is deep enough for the kind of airflow cycling demands. (There was a lower capacity backpack which was more expensive and had a deeper airflow groove in the same store where i bought my current backpack but i opted for more storage.)

Capacity, versatility, many zippered pockets (solid and mesh), a good place for my large smart phone, durability, water resistance/proofing, price, ulock storage, mini pump and spare tube storage.

Have you ever had a really bad or really good experience with a commuting backpack? If yes, why was it so good/bad?

I would say the use of this backpack and the smaller Jansport I used prior has been satisfactory. Though I don't think they are specifically designed for commuting.

Other notes:

I would probably buy a Rickshaw bag commuter backpack if I was willing to pay $200 for a backpack. There was another brand, less expensive (under $100), also waterproof, that someone linked me to on this forum that I thought looked good.... Edit: no1mad had recommended Banjo Bros.
Old 10-16-11, 01:21 PM
WestonP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After shopping around for months and buying 2 other cycling packs I've fallen in love with the Timbuk2 Bender, their newest commuter focused model. You can't beat the price, the durability is great and it just looks like a normal backpack.

It comfortably holds my textbooks, binders, laptop (in a special protected area), protein shake mixer (my lunch), plus a change of clothes, small towel, glasses case, bike gloves, sun screen, deodorant, a pouch for snacks and a pencil/pen organizer. There is a ulock pocket on the side and my helmet attaches securely on the outside via the top strap in the back. The bottom strap also comes in handy as a drying rack for my bike/gym gear during the day.

I have commuting to school down to a science.
Old 10-16-11, 01:33 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
There already are some on the market with a mesh tensioned fabric , sub-frame
leaves air flow under the carried load.
Old 10-16-11, 01:48 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Axiom had a model a couple of years back that was kinda cool. You wore it like a backpack off the bike, but the compression straps doubled as a mounting system so it rode on the rack like a trunk bag.
Old 10-16-11, 02:55 PM
crazy_lazy_bear

Bikes: 2009 Trek 7.3 Hybrid, 2010 Specialized Secteur Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, I use a backpack on my commute. I use it because I prefer a backpack instead of a messenger bag or panniers to carry a laptop.

Thule Crossover TCBP-217 Backpack for 17-Inch Ultrabooks/Macbook/Pro/Air Laptop and iPad (Black)

Yes, I carry a laptop. No, I do not feel that this hinders the performance of the backpack.

I carry clothes in my backpack everyday. I do not carry shoes. (They go in my panniers.)

I carry WetOnes and deodorant only when the supply at work runs out.

Sometimes I put my lunch in my panniers; sometimes I put it in my backpack.

No, my backpack does not have a feature that improves back ventilation.

Laptop compartment, water-resistant material, and chest strap.

When I first started bicycle commuting, I was using a hiking backpack I bought 15 years ago from EMS. It has a chest strap but is not water-resistant, nor does it have a laptop compartment. I switched to a Swiss Army backpack. It has a laptop compartment, but is not water-resistant, nor does it have a chest strap. I am having good experiences with the backpack I have now. I bought it because it was the only one I could find that has all the features listed above.

If you have other points that you think may be worth considering, please feel free to expand below...

The only "feature" of my current backpack I dislike is the open compression compartment. I think it was designed to be able to quickly throw in and take out newspapers, magazines, etc. I dislike it because in a heavy rain, because the material is water resistant (not waterproof), the water will collect in the open compression compartment and penetrate the material inside. The contents of the adjoining compartment will be damp, not soaking. If I throw a towel over the contents or first put the contents in a plastic bag, everything stays dry. Other than the compression compartment, I think the price was a little steep, but for me, it was worth the price.
Old 10-16-11, 03:00 PM
1242Vintage

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Camelback Blowfiish in the Summer and North Face Recon in the Winter. Winter temps in the early morning can get down into the 30s and afternoon temps are much warmer. Bigger bag needed in Winter to carry jacket and underlayer along with work clothes home. I have luggage that can be expanded by unzipping a section depending on the need .... perhaps a commuter backpack could have the same option?

Good shoulder and chest straps and back ventilation are a must. Waterproof fabric on the bottom is good.

Other features; light color for visibility, washable, reflective accents, hook on back to attach blinkie, mesh compartment(s) on the outside (which I use to carry gloves and hat), different and easily accessed compartments to keep clothes separate from other stuff (like spare tube, batteries, spare light, tools, wallet/keys/phone), buckle to secure helmet to bag when I get to work.

I keep supplies to clean up and shower in my locker at work so that helps keep the weight down. I also leave my work shoes in the locker too. I never pack in my lunch and do not take my laptop home (work stays at work!!!)

Worst experience was with a backpack (a hand-me-down from my kids) that only had one large compartment. That allowed all the heavier items (multi-tool, phone, spare batteries, etc.) to collect at the bottom, which became annoying on the ride. This backpack also had nice leather on the bottom, which took forever to dry out after a rainy ride home.
Old 10-16-11, 03:34 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Other features I'd like to see have to do with the straps and also organization.

The straps I'd like to be longer. I want the pack to sit lower to not only be more comfortable, but also aid in looking over the shoulder to check traffic. And to keep the back of my helmet from rubbing/hitting the top of the pack when I get into a more aggressive/aero position.

I'd like to see a couple of dedicated areas- one for bike related tools/flat kit/pump/CO2 inflator (kinda like Lezyne does on their rack and trunk Caddys) and another one for pens/phone/wallet/keys/mp3 player*.

*I don't listen to music while on the bike, but I do while on the bus.
Old 10-16-11, 06:39 PM
MK313

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I currently use a Mountain Hardwear Scrambler Ultralight pack. I carry a change of clothes (no shoes) and some assorted small stuff (phone/ wallet, etc). Some days, I:'ll also bring in some food, ipad or other items, but on most days it's just the clothes & the small stuff.

The perfect commuter backpack for me would include an easy way to attach it to the top of a rear rack. I don't like panniers for lots of reasons, but don't always want to carry the pack on my back. It there were a quick easy way to strap the pack to the top of a rack, you'd have a winner. (Arkel has a bag that works like this, but it works with a proprietary seatpost rack, not a traditional rear rack & it only holds 11 pounds.) part of this would be a way to keep the backpack straps secured on top of the pack & out of the spokes. For reference, right now I use surly Junk Straps to hold my bag on the rack. They are the best solution that I've found, but far from perfect.

Other things that I find necessary in a bag are waterproofness (or a rain cover) & a few smaller pockets for the little stuff, but at least two, possibly three-one for my phone, etc, one for the bike tools that get grimy & a third one for something else I might want to carry but keep separate like a wet shirt or something). I also like bags that are small & compact (When not in use, I can fold up my MH bag into one of it's pockets. I can fit this in a water bottle cage. Reflective highlights are a must & a place to attach a rear blinkie. And a way to tighten down the bag (my MH bag has an external bungie cord with cord locks to pull it down tight if need be) to accomodate smaller loads, while still allowing larger loads when I need to pick stuff up from the store).

That would make the perfect bag for me.
Old 10-16-11, 07:24 PM
Lieren

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I started using a backpack when commuting while pregnant--at a certain point I couldn't get my messenger bag to sit correctly!

Banjo Brothers medium, white.

About once a week. No hindrance.

I carry clothes (but no shoes) every day. I also carry my two preschoolers' clothes (i.e., their back-up outfits, diaper bag, naptime blankets, etc.).

Nope.

Yes, and I just chuck my tupperware in--the selling feature of the BB bags IMO is the waterproof liner, so if your lunch explodes you can just remove and wash the liner. I also carry the aforementioned preschoolers' lunches in lunchbags.

I think it's supposed to...I get sweaty but not too hot, so I guess it works.

Water resistance, visibility, volume without overwhelming me--I'm 5'2" and many of the backpacks I looked at just swallowed me physically (I hear plenty of "big backpack!" with my BB but I don't feel overwhelmed and I can see over my shoulder even with a full load). I like that BB bags have no internal compartments so you can custom pack each load and that they roll shut so after I drop the kids at preschool the pack is much smaller vertically. I also liked how on BB bags you can remove the straps you don't want to use (for instance, I h.a.t.e. sternum straps, which other people love.) In an ideal world, I'd love a backpack that had a more sophisticated or arty or professional look--when I go to out of town meetings I first bike to the train station, which means I'm toting my BB all day at my meetings. It's a clean looking pack but it's still pushing the boundaries in my arty field.

Last edited by Lieren; 10-16-11 at 07:32 PM. Reason: add a tidbit
Old 10-16-11, 08:21 PM
Jamoni

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello fellow commuters,

I am a design student from Sheffield, England and I am wanting to design a backpack specifically for commuting cyclists. I am doing some research into what people actually want from a commuting backpack and what features are most important to them. Therefore, If you have a minute and wouldn't mind sharing your backpack experiences, have a look at the questions below...

-No, but I have. Currently I use a rear rack and a no-name laptop bag. Sometimes I just wear it if the load is light.

-I previously used a thrift store RollerBlade backpack. It was big and roomy, and waterproof. I also had a pretty sweet one that was like a laptop bag, only it was taller than it was wide. It had a zipper pocket with some backpack straps in it, and some top loops for attaching a strap. You could wear it as a backpack or a messenger bag. Just big enough for a laptop, my shirt and pants, and a few nick nacks. It was a pretty sweet rig, but the straps and buckles were too flimsy.

-I do carry a laptop, but just a netbook. It's no big deal.

-I usually leave the shoes and a jacket at the office, and bring everything else.

-I carry some deodorant and a wash cloth. I just take a quick sink bath after I cool down.

-I usually just bring a can of soup and some ramen packets in a pocket of the backpack.

-No.

-Not floppy, maybe some sort of cinch strap or tiebacks. Some way to avoid back-sweat. Waterproof. Reflective. Lightweight. Separate compartment for sweaty clothes. VERY solid construction: no plastic buckles or skinny little straps.

-Not really. I hate it when a bag shifts around while I'm riding.

-Some sort of way to mount it as a pannier.

Last edited by Jamoni; 10-16-11 at 08:22 PM. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 10-16-11, 09:06 PM
Mult47

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Osprey Momentum in which I put a change of clothes. No shoes or toiletries. Shoes at the office and toiletries at the gym close to the office. Lunch, usually small items packed loose in the backpack. Sometimes a laptop and/or books. I'm a university prof and carting books around is an occupational hazard. I like the Osprey's design with lots of pockets, built in plastic rain cover that can be tucked away when not needed, waist and chest straps to keep it from moving around, a hook for a blinkie, a strap for my helmet and a rigid, curved back that allows air flow across my back. I still sweat, but not as much as I would if it rode on my back.
Old 10-17-11, 10:36 AM
matimeo

Bikes: It's the motor, not the bike, right?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
I don't use a backpack because I don't like having the weight up high like that (feels less stable), puts more strain on my back, sit bones and shoulders, and because of sweat issues. If you could somehow overcome those three problems (good luck), you might convince me to use a backpack, but for now panniers are a much more elegant solution for commuting to work.

I suppose that the only thing that might be a buying point for me is if it could double as panniers and then be removed and worn as a backpack. When I was in college that probably would have really appealed to me when I had to have a backpack with me anyway. Now not so much.

To answer some of you original questions, I take to work clothing, food and very rarely my laptop or other work items.
Old 10-17-11, 10:54 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts

i bike commute 28 miles nearly every workday with a backpack. i like the backpack
for the following reasons:

1. aesthetic purity - none of my bikes need to have a cumbersome rack attached to them. this is especially important for my titanium road bike.

2. i'm gonna sweat no matter what - my daily commute is 14 miles each way; there's no casual cruising at 15mph for me, i like to hit it hard, so i'm dripping with sweat when i get to work whether i'm wearing a back pack or not.

3. handling - i prefer having the extra weight on me as opposed to on the bike. it just feels more natural to me to have the weight on my back, it makes the bike feel zippier and more maneuverable, especially when out of the saddle.

4. comfort - i tried a lot of packs, but eventually settled on an REI pack with multitudes of micro-adjustment straps that allow me to cinch the pack down in all the right places to get that perfect feel where the pack simply becomes an extension of my body rather than something i'm wearing. waist and sternum straps are absolutely essential in my opinion for a bike commuting backpack.

5. the backpack always follows me - when i get off my bike, my backpack is already attached to me, so it goes wherever i go without me ever having to think about it.

6. psychology - in my mind, i feel faster/less draggy with a pack on my back than elsewhere on my bike. that notion might not have much basis in reality (if any at all), but it's still there in my head and hard to ignore.

7. simplicity - i try to travel as light as possible. all of my bikes have a small saddle bag for a spare tube, levers, multi-tool and CO2 pump, so the only things that i'm actually carrying with me in my backpack on my daily commute are a change of clothes, a thin folder for any necessary work papers, wallet, phone, flash drive, and keys. that's it. i don't do the laptop thing because a tiny little flash drive weighs 100's of times less than a laptop and allows me to easily transfer any necessary files between home and office. i don't usually carry a lock because i store my bike inside my office. i eat out for lunch everyday, so i don't have food to carry along either. and i leave my work shoes at the office so that i'm not needlessly shuttling them back and forth everyday.

i use an REI Venturi 40 back pack that i purchased 3 years ago.

No, i don't carry a laptop with me on my commutes.

i ride with a clean change of clothes in my pack everyday. my work shoes live at the office.

No, i do not carry any toiletries with me, i leave that stuff at the office.

No, i almost never bring a prepared lunch with me. i get take out for lunch as a general rule.

Yes, my pack has a suspended mesh panel on a metal frame that lifts the pack off of my bask by a couple of inches and allows airflow between between the two. it's somewhat effective, but i still get sweat spots where the pads of the pack lean against my back. and on a hot summer day, i'm a big giant heaping mess of sweat anyway, whether i wear a backpack or not. point being, i'm generally just a very sweaty person.

sternum and hip straps are essential in my opinion, along with having LOTS of adjustment straps so you can tighten the pack down and get that perfect fit where the pack feels like its just an extension of your body. i also love having a zippered mesh pocket on each of the hip straps to keep things like keys and cell phone handy. i would like it if my backpack were totally waterproof, but as it is, it can only handle regular rain. if i get caught in a proper thunderstorm downpour for a mile or two, stuff inside will eventually get wet, unfortunately.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 10-17-11 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-17-11, 11:09 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Don't like the weight and restriction on ventilation on my back while cycling. So the only backpack I use on my bike is one that I modified by adding hooks to the upper corners. Now it can be used as a pannier on the bike but still works as a backpack when walking.
Old 10-17-11, 02:56 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
@Steely Dan (too lazy to quote)- your reasons are pretty much spot on. One thing that I'll add that was pointed out before by another BF member is that extra weight carried on your body (backpack or mess bag) is easier to control than the same weight on the rack (trunk or pannier) while navigating roads where traction can be sketchy due to snow or sand.
Old 10-17-11, 06:34 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sparkybob
Hello fellow commuters,

Yes. More convenient than rack/panniers. Two straps are better than one for my bad neck.

Mission Workshop Vandal

Sometimes, it doesn't hinder my backpack. The Vandal has an internal frame so I can't feel anything digging into my back. The only time i've ever really had a hard time with my backpack is when I stopped in and got a 12pack of beer (bottles) and rode home around 4 miles with it on my back, with all my commuting stuff in there too..

Every day. Pants, shirt, undies.

Towel, deodorant. I leave wet ones wipes at work and clean up in the sink.

Rarely, but when I do it's just something frozen, or in a hard box in the main compartment.

Not really..

see mission workshop vandal.. near perfect bag IMO.

I've only really used my Vandal as far as backpacks go, but I tried some on in the stores before I bought it. Some bad things with those were rear vision, uncomfortable or poorly angled straps.

sparkybob
Old 10-17-11, 07:46 PM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts

Yes

Dakine Apex

No

Change of clothes every day. No shoes

No. I keep them at work.

Yes, in a separate lunchbox, that sits in a compartment

Yes. It works well, but not as a well as a mesh back.

Tough. Good organization without added bulk. Hydration bladder compatable. Waterproof pocket. Helmet holder. Hip belt and sternum strap.

Osprey Momentum was too big and bulky, with not enough breathing room on the back. Otherwise, it had excellent features.
Old 10-17-11, 07:50 PM
fusilierdan

Bikes: Giant TCRC2 2007, Dahon MU P8 2012, GT Avalance 2011

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't use a backpack for commuting. The main reason is lack of visibility. If I was to get a backpack I would want one that was bight yellow/green and orange with 1-2inch wide reflective strips on the back and on the straps in the front. A place to hook up a light would be great also. There's a lot of good point above. I like to take my stuff with me which isn't easy to do with panniers.
Old 10-30-11, 06:45 AM
sparkybob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A massive thankyou to everyone who has posted. The insights that you have had are very interesting, and I notice a few issues keep coming up, which I will be sure to address in my design.

Many thanks,

Sparkybob
Old 10-30-11, 07:53 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts

Yep

K-Mart Generic

No, my netbook goes in a pannier (in its special case) when I bring it

Occasionally

No

No, I'm a restaurant manager

No

Room, mostly - and compartments. When I get off the bike, I take locks out of the pack and put lights and my frame pump in the pack. Then when going home, I take the lights and framer back out and put the locks back in, so I need to keep the "bicycle" stuff separate from the "Work" stuff (clothes etc). Also it needs straps etc to hang items, like my helmet

Not really

sparkybob
Old 10-30-11, 08:47 AM
Blues Frog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just used some tactical gear from Bianchi. It has the hydration bladder and moderate space. It needs to be larger but carries most of what I need. I sometimes had to fasten a duty jacket on the back. But an assault pack has multiple means for attachment. I don't carry a lap top and couldn't very well. But lunch and extras usually fit. A minimum of tools and spare tube.The reflective elements as reflective strips are good as is ANSI lime green flourescent color with a built in light. A cyclist friend said he saw my lime green shirt before my flashy from what had to be a minimum of a 1.5 mile distance across a valley in bright sunlight. Good luck with your project.