Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Backpack recommendation for a student

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-13, 12:52 AM
Chaltierx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I've decided that I'll be commuting to school by bike come fall semester rather than take public transit. The commute will only be 3 miles each way. I've been using a Jansport Big Student backpack for the past couple of years and I think it's about time for a replacement (flops around too much when I ride with it). I'm looking for something that is waterproof and will stay in place when I ride. I would prefer something that would keep my back from getting too sweaty, if possible. I know that panniers would be best for that but I need something that I can carry from class to class. I'll be carrying school supplies (textbooks, stationaries, laptop, etc.) as well as a change of clothes from time to time (during the warmer months) in case I get too sweaty. Some bags I've been looking at are the Ortlieb Velocity, Timbuk2 Phoenix, Chrome District, and the Banjo Brothers Commuter. Does any one have any experience with these bags? I'm open to any recommendations but I would prefer to keep the price under $130. Thanks for reading.
Old 05-16-13, 02:51 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I had a large Banjo Brothers- waterproof, but lacked organization and that Cordura shell will make your back sweat. It lacks a laptop compartment as well, so you'll have to put yours in a sleeve or wrap it in a towel (what I did, until I discovered flash drives and Google Docs). I found one way to minimize the sweat issue, but the handling of the bike was impacted:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
10171623..jpg (96.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg
10171627..jpg (96.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 05-16-13, 05:55 AM
LyzurJane

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh LTD-3, 1989 Schwinn Traveler

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have this Osprey bag. It's got tons of features that I love, including little pockets on the straps in front for my cell phone and keys, and a strap where you can clip on a blinky light. It has a rain cover built into the lid, but I've found that the material is waterproof enough that I've never even used it. The best feature is probably the helmet lock thingy, so you can strap your helmet to it. There are also other Osprey bags with the helmet lock that have better ventilation in back so your back wouldn't get as sweaty. I've found that the 35 liter bag has plenty of room for books and the laptop.
Old 05-16-13, 07:37 AM
tjspiel

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
I had a large Banjo Brothers- waterproof, but lacked organization and that Cordura shell will make your back sweat. It lacks a laptop compartment as well, so you'll have to put yours in a sleeve or wrap it in a towel (what I did, until I discovered flash drives and Google Docs). I found one way to minimize the sweat issue, but the handling of the bike was impacted:
I also have the Banjo Brothers bag but I actually like it.

I got it because a nagging shoulder injury prevented me from comfortably using a messenger bag. Since I was used to having one cavernous compartment for my stuff, the lack of organization really wasn't a downside for me. In fact I prefer it that way. Having the bag divided up into smaller compartments would limit its versatility.

So for carrying a laptop, I put it inside a minimal case from Incase. It's really not much more than a sleeve with a shoulder strap and a few pockets. The nice thing about this approach is that I don't need the whole backpack if I just want to take the laptop somewhere.

Since the Banjo Brothers bag is just one large compartment (aside from a few pockets and pencil holders), how you pack it is important, just like it is with a messenger bag. So from that standpoint it's not as convenient.

The sweaty back thing, well that's going to be a problem with this backpack. It doesn't bother me because I expect to get sweaty anyway. There are some pads on it that are supposed to help with ventilation but it's safe to say that they're pretty much ineffective. Maybe they've made some improvements. It was more important to me to not have to deal with a rain cover.

There's a couple complaints that I do have. The material doesn't seem to be as durable as my old Timbuktu messenger bag. There's a small hole from where I've snagged it on something. The design doesn't depend on the outer shell for waterproofness. There's a replaceable inner liner. After about 5 years now I think I need a new one. They're not expensive but it would be great not to have to worry about that. The other thing is that they have a nice handy pocket on the side that's accessible while you're wearing the backpack. Why isn't there one on the other side?
Old 05-16-13, 12:01 PM
Chaltierx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I think I'll cross off the Banjo Brothers one from my list of choices because of the ventilation issue. Right now I'm leaning towards the Ortlieb Velocity. It looks pretty roomy but I'm not sure about the practicality of it. Is having a rolltop practical when I have to open and close the bag often? The lack of pockets also puts me off somewhat but the padding on the back seems pretty good. I've also been looking at messenger bags. Is there any reason to prefer a messenger bag over a backpack for my use?
Old 05-16-13, 12:32 PM
tjspiel

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Chaltierx
Thanks for the comments. I think I'll cross off the Banjo Brothers one from my list of choices because of the ventilation issue. Right now I'm leaning towards the Ortlieb Velocity. It looks pretty roomy but I'm not sure about the practicality of it. Is having a rolltop practical when I have to open and close the bag often? The lack of pockets also puts me off somewhat but the padding on the back seems pretty good. I've also been looking at messenger bags. Is there any reason to prefer a messenger bag over a backpack for my use?
I looked at this bag before choosing the Banjo Brothers. The pads are probably more effective at ventilating your back than what you get with the Banjo Brothers bag but I'm guessing there's still going to be some issues there. In any case that's not something I cared about. What bothered me about this bag is that the roll top creates these wings that limit visibility to the rear. The banjo Bros roll top works more like a lunch bag and the wing effect isn't as pronounced.

Rolltops are easier to waterproof than zippers and they also shrink the bag a bit without a bunch of buckles. You can argue about which is more likely to fail over time. Zippers break and the creases created by rolling the top will probably wear through the material at some point but I've had mine for several years and use it constantly.

The one big advantage to a messenger bag is access to the contents without having to take it off along with the larger opening.
Old 05-16-13, 01:49 PM
Chaltierx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been looking around some more and came across the Ortlieb Vario. It's a bit over my budget but I'd be willing to go a bit over if necessary. I like how it is both a backpack and a pannier. However, I can't seem to find much about it. Does anyone have a Vario that could comment on it? What I'm most curious about is how secure the QL3 system is as well as the backpack attachment.
Old 05-16-13, 02:13 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
One of the things I did like about my BB 'pack was the strap and buckle closure- a lot quieter than ripping velcro or zippers while in class or the library. Half of the time while walking around campus, I didn't even bother securing the outer flap. Plus you can overstuff a roll-top without worrying about it too much- like stuff a jacket under the flap. Or shove a guitar in the bag with the neck sticking out one side and fold/roll/buckle and it will stay put- the zipper(s) on a tear drop shaped backpack would unzip themselves over time.

If I was in the market for a (relatively) inexpensive waterproof backpack again, I'd be giving the All City Cycles Captain Phil a strong look- as it is an improved version of the Banjo Brothers.