Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Beginner Biker. Maryland Routes?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-14, 03:04 PM
swamp1
Swamp

Bikes: Schwinn Prelude 700c

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just got a new road bike and I am looking to ride the Baltimore Annapolis trail but I don't know how difficult it will be. I think it's something like 13.3 miles (one way) and I would like to do the whole thing. I'm in pretty good shape as a young adult but I don't know what the average mph would be/ how long this would take/is this fairly easy to do?

Also, if anyone knows any other good riding areas in Annapolis or even further north in Baltimore/Harford County?

Thank you
Old 02-18-14, 03:23 PM
Consularrider

Bikes: Surly Pugsley, Jamis Renegade, Kona Rove, Salsa Pistola, Raleigh M60, Raleigh Sport Touring Team USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Baltimore Annapolis Trail is dead easy, with very light grade changes. Just take care with runners and pedestrians and watch the street crossings. The BWI trail has more elevation change, but is also relatively easy.
Old 02-19-14, 11:59 AM
maxine

Bikes: Airborne Carpe Diem; Trek 520

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're correct, the B&A is about 13 miles long, and as Consularrider notes, it's pretty flat. As far as average mph, goes -- the speed limit on the trail is 15 mph. Very, very early in the morning you'll find bike shop riders routinely blowing that limit by lots. Later on, you will find it nearly impossible to average 15 mph, even if you're physically capable, unless you're going to be one of THOSE CYCLISTS who are insufferably rude to joggers, dog walkers, rollerbladers, baby stroller pushers, little kids on little bikes, etc. (It's not a "bike trail," it's a "multi-use path," and cyclists, being the fastest and most maneuver-capable users, have to defer to just about everyone else.) The BWI Trail, a 10.5 mile loop around the airport, and which links up to the B&A, gets a lot less non-adult-cyclist traffic than the B&A.

There is a lot of nice riding south of Annapolis, and nice-and-hilly riding in Baltimore County. The Baltimore Bicycling Club does regular rides in the Baltimore area. https://www.baltobikeclub.org/

Another good site for info on routes and trails is Bike Washington -- https://bikewashington.org/index.htm
Old 02-20-14, 01:22 PM
vw2.0driver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
B&A is a great trail. My own real complaint is that there is a lot of stopping and starting (at least to me, cause I actually stop at the signs unlike a number of the riders I see). The B&A trail crosses a lot of side streets in Glen Burnie, but once you get near Marley Station you have a pretty good ride with few stops until you get near Severna park when you hit a lot stops again for neighborhoods and the downtown severna park area. After that there are a few more stops for side streets but not many. Be sure to stop because there are a few spots that have blind spots for the trail and traffic on the side roads tends to fly faster than the speed limit.

If you want to stretch the legs of the bike, after you cross the bridge over route 100 from marley station there is a really nice straightaway, slightly uphill heading south towards annapolis, that you can sprint on. I only do that when there really isn't anyone around.

BWI trail is also very nice, I regularly ride that as it is a short ride from my house to it.
Old 03-19-14, 03:42 PM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A short ways from BWI is the Patapsco River. Very pretty riding along the trail and River Road. Relatively easy between BWI and Ellicot City.