Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter Cycling with Kids (on Big Dummy)

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-11, 07:36 AM
davidmcowan
Live Deliberately.

Bikes: CETMA Cargo, Surly Big Dummy, Surly Straggler, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hoping some of you have some insight. I'd like to make my Big Dummy snow proof and workable with kiddo. So, I'm thinking tires and some kind of winter protection for a thinned skinned 2 year old.

On tires:
I'm in Denver, so snow isn't horrible, but I don't want to be held back. I'm considering:
1) COntinental snow tires (no studs but apparently very grippy)
2) Just an all out mountain bike tire with tons of knobbies (is this better than conti-snow?)
3) Going with studded tires even though Denver has only about 2 weeks a winter where there is actually snow on the ground.
Am I missing anything? Do you have any additional suggestions or observations?

For a cover I'm looking to max her out with nice winter gear, put her in a car seat "cozy", and perhaps build a wind shield type contraption with a rain/winter stroller cover and some supports.

Any thoughts? Your expertise is appreciated!
Old 09-18-11, 02:54 PM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
IMHO, the added security provided by studded tires far outweighs any penalty in rolling resistance. As for winter commuting with child in tow, I'll leave any opinions to those with experience. My son has been riding with me since he was a year old, but only in fair weather.
Old 09-18-11, 03:17 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
FYI, the studs are not for snow, they are for ice. There is no such thing as a "Grippy" rubber tire on ice when studded tires are in the same sentence.
Old 09-18-11, 04:12 PM
davidmcowan
Live Deliberately.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Electrik, I found your comments to be utterly useless. Go look down your nose at people in another thread.

irclean, I'd be interested in knowing why you have personally decided against riding in winter with the little one. We are thinking of dropping a car and rides to day care are only a little under a mile on side streets, which is the only reason I'm looking to figure a way to stay "operational" most of the winter. I've done a dozen or so winters on my own, its the kid that makes trickier.
Old 09-18-11, 06:04 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by davidmcowan
Electrik, I found your comments to be utterly useless. Go look down your nose at people in another thread.
David,

Get over yourself. You are asking for people with experience to give you free advice.

If people get what they pay for you're still way ahead.

Good luck and don't act like the snob you tell other people they are.
Old 09-18-11, 09:15 PM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by davidmcowan
irclean, I'd be interested in knowing why you have personally decided against riding in winter with the little one. We are thinking of dropping a car and rides to day care are only a little under a mile on side streets, which is the only reason I'm looking to figure a way to stay "operational" most of the winter. I've done a dozen or so winters on my own, its the kid that makes trickier.
Usually the only riding that I do with my son is recreational. Sometimes we run errands together, sure, but mostly just joyriding. OTOH, most of my winter riding is commuting back and forth to work which I do solo. Now that my son has graduated to a Trail-a-Bike I would need to buy a 20" studded tire and a fender if I wanted to take him riding in the winter.
Old 09-22-11, 01:51 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by electrik
FYI, the studs are not for snow, they are for ice. There is no such thing as a "Grippy" rubber tire on ice when studded tires are in the same sentence.
I was thinking the same thing, then I read this post. Sage advice in my opinion. Can't figure out whey the OP is so offended.
Old 09-22-11, 07:00 AM
davidmcowan
Live Deliberately.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
I was thinking the same thing, then I read this post. Sage advice in my opinion. Can't figure out whey the OP is so offended.
I was hoping to let it die, but sure let's revisit. Tone is definitely hard to read on the internet, I'll give you that, but I'm talking about winter riding. Where I live, ice comes from snow. In fact it usually sits under it, if it doesn't melt away inside the first day. I'm trying to decide if it is worth going studded or just sticking with a snow tire based on our snow fall. So rather than a recommendation I get what appears to be a distinction between studded and non-studded tires, it what appeared to be a very gruff tone.

That's why I was offended by the comment.
Old 09-22-11, 08:11 AM
nubcake

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Giant Trance, Felt Breed, Marin SS MTB, Felt Pyre BMX bike, oldschool GT trials bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
x2, this was actually good advise and relevant to the topic. Any tire without studs is worthless on ice regardless of tread or rubber compound. If you never have to deal with ice than a more aggressive tread tire for a mountain bike will get you through the snow just fine. But again if you come across ice and want to be able to ride regardless of conditions give in and get studs.

As to what style studded tires it depends on if you get a lot of deep ice ruts then more studs on the sides would be needed to help you climb out of the ruts, if your just wanting a little extra security for black ice you wouldn't need nearly as many studs on the side, just depends on the type of Ice you get in Denver.

This is probably the most helpful website on studded tires I have found so far Peter White Cycles
Old 09-28-11, 02:04 AM
clivan78

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra and a Trek 3700 hardtail.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
David in Denver, Im living in Northern Sweden and I take my son to day care everyday by bike. During the summer months I used a child seat on the bike and had smooth (ish) tyres on my bike. I have changed over to use a child trailer or whatever you want to call it as I thought the bike seat may be too dangerous in the snow and ice. I have also changed the tyres to studded tyres for the first time. They make so much difference although one piece of advice is to ride them with a little less pressure in them so you dont get the feeling of riding on ball bearings. Another thing to note about winter tyres is that they are said to be made of a type of rubber that doesnt get hard when they freeze, this helps with the grip on the ice. This could be a problem with knobbly regular mountain bike tyres. You can also use studded tyres on the roads without ice or snow for traction, but do keep the pressure down as I said...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0113.jpg (79.1 KB, 16 views)