Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

To Tandem.. or to wait

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

To Tandem.. or to wait

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-16, 10:39 PM
mccreadym

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To Tandem.. or to wait

Hello,

So growing up I quite enjoyed cycling. I have not done much riding the last few years (besides short commutes). Unfortunately my bicycle was stolen last year (not a huge loss it was a fairly cheap mtn bike).

Since being married my wife and I have gone on exactly two rides even with me being completely out of shape I will put it we have different paces. Growing up my family had two tandems so I rode one every blue moon or so. I have not had a lot of experience being captain (just a few quick rides with my mother as a teenager).

I am looking at getting a new cycle and getting back into the sport. It has occurred to me that perhaps instead of getting a single cycle I should look into a tandem. My wife really likes the idea. She did used to be a very active runner and would perhaps enjoy cycling, but a tandem might be an easier transition to my pace of riding. A few years ago my wife was hit by a car running a red (she was a pedestrian) and suffered a serious head injury. I think she would feel significantly more comfortable with me in control of the bike and observing traffic. We just moved back to Minnesota (a good location for cycling during the 3 months of goodness )

To complicate it though we just got an 18th floor apartment in Downtown St. Paul (moving next month). The building does have "bike storage" in the garage, but I am not sure how safe it is or if it is tandem friendly. We will have a 780 sq ft apartment with a 10x4 balcony. I could see fitting a single cycle or two in the apartment. (there is large closet by the door) but I am having trouble picturing a tandem. There is a hallway that might be long enough to hang one (which would be in the way a little, but might work). How does a tandem fit in an elevator? The apartment also has nice carpet (ie not the most dirt and grease friendly). The balcony is at the far side of the apartment (so I would have to lift it over the living room furniture). I do not like the idea of storing it outdoors and losing the balcony space, but it is an option. In the winter I could probably store the bike in my parents garage (45 min away).

There is a good bike trail that is a few blocks from our apartment. I feel a little apprehensive about riding a long tandem downtown and not crashing into anything/one.

My dad has a Santana that I like. I rode it with my wife tonight briefly so she could experience a tandem. I know Santana makes bikes that fold, but they are pretty pricey bicycles. A folding one could fit easily in our apartment closet. I would assume that would have to be custom ordered as there are probably not a lot floating around used. My dad does have an old T Parsons tandem that my wife and I may be able to borrow.

Has anyone managed to store a tandem in an apartment (if so how)? What other brands make a good folding tandem? How easy is it to fold and unfold a tandem (I know it probably depends on the model)? Is riding a tandem downtown difficult?

Any tips would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Matt
Old 08-25-16, 10:54 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Elevators are not usually very tandem friendly. Santana and Co-Motion make tandems fitted with S&S couplers that break apart, but this is not the same as folding. The only folding tandems, to my knowledge, are the Bike Friday tandems. Those might be an option for you. Humping a full size tandem around a 780sq./ft. apartment doesn't sound practical, I think the basement storage is your second best bet, after a folding one. After some practice and experience a tandem captain can ride a tandem anywhere anyone else rides any other kind of bicycle. Good luck.
Old 08-25-16, 11:09 PM
mccreadym

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the reply. I suppose break apart would be what I mean (vs folding). Sorry for the confusion. How easy it is to break apart a tandem?

I think the initial hallway in the apartment may have room for a mounted tandem (that would still mean an elevator ride or 18 flights of stairs ). I think the basement storage would have the room. It is one of the safest/best parking garages in the city. While I have not yet seen the bike storage I got the idea that it was not enclosed. I know many places have a locked room or fenced area in where you can lock your bike. Next time I am in the area I will try to check it out and gauge things. My previous bike getting stolen was more sentimentally frustrating as opposed to financially.

Anyways I like the idea of break apart better. I never quite completed a century growing up (a good goal for next summer). What cycles would be good for the road, but would handle ok in the city?

Thanks for the advice should I get a tandem I will certainly spend some time riding solo around town on the tandem till I feel comfortable.

Thanks again!
Matt
Old 08-25-16, 11:16 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've taken our tandem in elevators occasionally. It usually won't fit when horizontal, but many elevators are tall enough that I can hold it vertically while rolling it just on the rear wheel. The S&S coupled tandems (and even the Bike Friday "Two'sDay" folding one) are mainly intended for taking them on trips where the time spent in disassembly/reassembly isn't as big a factor. I'd think it would get to be enough of an issue that it would severely limit how often you'd want to go for a ride.

Seems like it might be best to start with a single bike to see how the garage storage arrangement works in practice and also to check out the riding conditions in the area.
Old 08-26-16, 04:55 AM
mccreadym

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I will be going down to the are with my wife this morning so I shall attempt to find the racks.

I suppose I could always bring a tandem down and see how it works, The parking garage exits onto a one way that is going towards the less busy sides of the city which is fairly destitute of cars even during the day so I could just ride that way to the trail and I think it would be fairly devoid of the clutter.

Originally Posted by prathmann
The S&S coupled tandems (and even the Bike Friday "Two'sDay" folding one) are mainly intended for taking them on trips where the time spent in disassembly/reassembly isn't as big a factor. I'd think it would get to be enough of an issue that it would severely limit how often you'd want to go for a ride.

Hmmm.. that is what I suspected. On the other hand that could be useful as my wife and I currently drive a Honda civic.

Anyways onwards with the quest and thanks for the replies!

Matt
Old 08-26-16, 05:05 AM
marciero

Bikes: 2005 CoMotion Speedster, 2014 Cannondale T2, various single bikes

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree that it's not practical to disassemble a coupled tandem simply for daily storage. As far storing in an apartment, I think the stairs/elevator are more an issue. Is the basement really not viable? Can it be locked/secured?
Regarding riding single-these bikes handle completely differently with a stoker on the back, so you really need to practice with both of you on it.
Regarding waiting-last year at this time my girlfriend wanted to wait until next season to buy ours. I am so glad we did not wait as we would have missed out on thousands of wonderful fall and even winter miles.
Old 08-26-16, 08:59 AM
jethro00

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
If you can borrow a tandem from your dad and see how the logistics work in your building and see how you and your wife take to it, that might be the way to start out. That said, is your dad's tandem set up for beginning riders? Does it have 2" wide tires? Does it have straight or downturn handlebars? If there is a bike shop nearby, it might be worth it to pay the bike shop to adjust a borrowed bike to you and your wife. Being comfortable on the bike will have a lot to do with whether you enjoy it.

Based on your description of you and your wife, trying a tandem seems like a reasonable idea.
Old 08-26-16, 10:12 AM
mccreadym

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by marciero
. As far storing in an apartment, I think the stairs/elevator are more an issue. Is the basement really not viable? Can it be locked/secured?
Well I visited the parking garage today. It has two entrances. Both have large closing steel doors. On the apartment side they are always closed (and only open for residents). On the other side one door is always open for vehicles payin to enter. It would be hard to walk into through the doors. Through the building (public access on 1st and 2nd floor anyone can access). The bike storage ended up being some flimsy racks. One of the racks many of the parts were broken (stolen bikes?). I can post a picture. One of the other racks had maybe 10-15 bikes, but they were not nice. I would not at all feel comfortable even leaving a $400 bike down there much less one costing $1000+. So I think that is a no go.

I did find this
Now open: Secure bike parking at the Union Depot - St. Paul Smart Trips

It is controlled access bike storage. Supposedly they have a room to work on bikes too. It is only a few blocks away and right on the trails. Now I just need to find out if they have storage large enough for a tandem and how much that would be a month.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 08-26-16, 10:20 AM
mccreadym

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jethro00
If you can borrow a tandem from your dad and see how the logistics work in your building and see how you and your wife take to it, that might be the way to start out. That said, is your dad's tandem set up for beginning riders? Does it have 2" wide tires? Does it have straight or downturn handlebars? If there is a bike shop nearby, it might be worth it to pay the bike shop to adjust a borrowed bike to you and your wife. Being comfortable on the bike will have a lot to do with whether you enjoy it.

Based on your description of you and your wife, trying a tandem seems like a reasonable idea.
I think my wife and I are going to take my dads Santana out for ride later. The handles on both tandems are downturn. They have fairly thin tires (nothing crazy). I remember it not being fun to ride on non paved roads with them. I feel comfortable riding with the tire width, but as to the handles I will need to get used to them.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 08-26-16, 01:13 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I think taking our tandem on elevators is quite easy. Can't have a rear fender on is all. Stand it on the rear wheel as you roll it in. Low headroom elevators will require you to turn the front wheel 90°. Coupled tandems don't come apart or go back together quickly. Basement storage sounds good. Lock it securely. You can leave the locks behind.

A nice clean tandem makes decent wall art. I know several people who hang their bikes in their living space.
Old 08-26-16, 01:43 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by jethro00
Is it possible you have a bias here?. How is the DaVinci working out? Belated congratulations two you.
Old 08-26-16, 01:53 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I think taking our tandem on elevators is quite easy. Can't have a rear fender on is all. Stand it on the rear wheel as you roll it in. Low headroom elevators will require you to turn the front wheel 90°. Coupled tandems don't come apart or go back together quickly. Basement storage sounds good. Lock it securely. You can leave the locks behind.

A nice clean tandem makes decent wall art. I know several people who hang their bikes in their living space.
Tandems are forbidden on the MAX trains here. Bikes hang from a hook by their front wheels. I have taken our (fendered) tandem and stood it straight up on its back wheel with the front turned 90*. I think all rear fenders are cut higher than front fenders for just this reason. The security enforcer started to say something then just shook his head and walked away.
Old 08-26-16, 01:56 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by mccreadym
I did find this
Now open: Secure bike parking at the Union Depot - St. Paul Smart Trips

It is controlled access bike storage. Supposedly they have a room to work on bikes too. It is only a few blocks away and right on the trails. Now I just need to find out if they have storagrge enough for a tandem and how much that would be a month.

Thanks,
Matt
Looks good. If they have space for recumbents you should be good to go. I'm so spoiled to have garage space right downstairs. Four blocks to get to any of my bikes would seem like a real burden.
Old 08-26-16, 03:21 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by mccreadym
I think my wife and I are going to take my dads Santana out for ride later. The handles on both tandems are downturn. They have fairly thin tires (nothing crazy). I remember it not being fun to ride on non paved roads with them. I feel comfortable riding with the tire width, but as to the handles I will need to get used to them.

Thanks,
Matt
You probably mean that both positions have drop bars. Have a look here: Lovely Bicycle!: Drop Bar Hand Positions: an Introduction
Old 08-26-16, 03:34 PM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
The Union Depot looks like an interesting option. I think you would probably be ok with the basement storage with good locks and maybe a bike cover too. We have taken our tandem up to many hotel rooms so you would probably be ok with that and making it "art" in the hallway would be urban cool! :-)
Old 08-26-16, 05:28 PM
mccreadym

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good to know about the elevator.

As to the garage with bike storage I have attached a picture I took earlier... you may see why I feel uncomfortable with the prospect.

I always do love the look of a good cycle.

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Looks good. If they have space for recumbents you should be good to go. I'm so spoiled to have garage space right downstairs. Four blocks to get to any of my bikes would seem like a real burden.
I talked to the bike shop that rents secured storage. I was told that they were not meant for tandems. That being stated I was informed that there was currently a recumbent being stored there and in the past someone had stored a tandem there. Apparently there are few ends where they can be stored (if available). I know it would be a few blocks, but that is not a bad walk and the bicycle would be stored where there is direct access to a nice trail (no downtown madness) and there would be bike shop in the same building for the occasional tune up (as my mechanical prowess is lacking).

You probably mean that both positions have drop bars. Have a look here: Lovely Bicycle!: Drop Bar Hand Positions: an Introduction
Thanks for the correction and that link is helpful.

Originally Posted by Paul J
We have taken our tandem up to many hotel rooms so you would probably be ok with that and making it "art" in the hallway would be urban cool! :-)
That is my other though. I am kicking myself too. Yesterday morning my wife and I went to the apartment to get measurements for everything. I got every measurement except the hallway... because of course I would not need that!
However if the blueprint I have is too scale considering my other measurements I think it could be done

Hmmmm... anyways either ways when we move we can see about the elevator logistics and if not I think I could store it at the union Depot for a small fee.

Any direction on what I should hunt for? (I will look for some threads as to this and if there any that come to mind feel free to post links). I don't imagine we would be going off the trail too much. One of those tandems that breaks apart might come in handy as my wife and I currently cruising a small honda civic. Price is negotiable as I know a good cycle with proper care lasts a long time and lots of riding. Perhaps I can take a look at my fathers T Parsons (I know it needs a little work to be ship shape), but it is a pretty solid bike. If I remember correctly it was my grandparents (my grandfather had several bikeshops out in CA). Perhaps we could even buy that or borrow it while we are on the hunt.

Thanks for all the replies it has been most helpful.
Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20160826_073426.jpg (93.7 KB, 81 views)
Old 08-27-16, 02:11 AM
djedgar

Bikes: Ventana ECDM, Santana Beyond, Cannondale Mtn tandem, Double Vision Recumbent, Specialized Epic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check the size of the elevator. We were in Seattle area and couldn't fit the tandem (Cannondale Mtn) in the elevator. It was signed for bikes to use the elevator, but the captain carried it up several flights of stairs (but nowhere close to 18 floors). We were able to stand it on the rear wheel as others described in the train, but had to hold it as the spacing wasn't right to hang it like the single bikes would fit. We haven't found any buses that would allow us to put the tandem on the bike racks, so check your transit service if you want to use the bus to get you to areas to ride. When in Denali Nat. Park, we asked if we could put it in the storage area they had on some routes, but answer was still no.
All just minor inconveniences. Hope your storage solution works out, riding twogether is wonderful.
:-)
Old 08-27-16, 04:40 PM
mccreadym

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by djedgar
Check the size of the elevator. We were in Seattle area and couldn't fit the tandem (Cannondale Mtn) in the elevator. It was signed for bikes to use the elevator, but the captain carried it up several flights of stairs (but nowhere close to 18 floors). We were able to stand it on the rear wheel as others described in the train, but had to hold it as the spacing wasn't right to hang it like the single bikes would fit. We haven't found any buses that would allow us to put the tandem on the bike racks, so check your transit service if you want to use the bus to get you to areas to ride. When in Denali Nat. Park, we asked if we could put it in the storage area they had on some routes, but answer was still no.
All just minor inconveniences. Hope your storage solution works out, riding twogether is wonderful.
:-)
I will have to see about the elevator, but I am not too worried... I would think they would fit in the train here, but I don't really see the need. There are LOTS of bike trails in the area (which should keep us busy) if we ride with my parents out of the city I believe my dad can fit two tandems on/in his SUV.

Thanks,
Matt