Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I found it!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-16, 07:35 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,543 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by mccreadym
Who ships bikes the cheapest? To note I am not worried about it getting dinged up as that seems to be helpful.... I just don't want it going missing again transit

MM

bikeflights.com is a discount broker for FedEx bike shipments. I have purchased shipping through them on three occasions and it's been cheap compared to what I would have paid had I bought directly from FedEx. Back in June I shipped my large, heavy LHT from Philly to Missoula, MT for around $50 with something like $1,400 in insurance.

You will, of course, have to have the bike boxed and the entire package measured and weighed to calculate shipping. If you buy from bikeflights, they email you a FedEx shipping label. You could have a LBS box, etc., the bike, buy from bikeflights and then forward the shipping label email to the LBS.
Old 09-23-16, 09:55 AM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
That's a crazy story. Congrats!
Old 09-23-16, 10:09 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Wow, congrats! Awesome story and ending, especially after so long!
Old 09-23-16, 10:59 AM
shafter

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations!!! I was afraid you would never get your bike back. One reads a lot of stories like yours, and few end as well.
Old 09-23-16, 11:15 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
I think I used bikeflights.com for a hybrid, and for a smaller "trick" bike with 20" wheels. Worked ok, iirc. Make sure that the bike shop takes some pics of this AS they pack it, and of the box before it leaves. And when you get the box, take a pic of the package, intact, and also as you unwrap it. Turns out you need these to make a claim if there's damage.
Old 09-23-16, 04:03 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,644 Times in 950 Posts
Good to hear. Congrats.
Old 09-24-16, 09:44 AM
mccreadym

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks! I am super stoked to get it back!

Haha should be easy to throw a new waterbottle cage on... and to be honest the speedometer hadn't worked in over a year anyways so I needed to grab a new one anyways.

Thanks for the bikeflight recommendation. It looks like it will be about $60-70. I think I will have a friend drop it off at the bike shop I trust in the area and have them pack it up and ship it out.

--
MM
Old 09-27-16, 12:45 PM
mccreadym

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is now in police custody. Just need to get it picked up and shipped out.

It seems I shall perhaps do some winter riding after all (it handles the snow well).

MM
Old 09-27-16, 04:10 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
I think you should pay the guy something for it...if he has a receipt from the Pawn Shop. He bought it legally, they sold it legally since they would have checked the serial number and since you (likely) reported the wrong number when stolen, they were legit in their actions.
Old 09-28-16, 09:30 AM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Can you reveal the bike shop you bought it from? Sounds like a solid place.
Old 09-28-16, 11:42 AM
mccreadym

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 02Giant
I think you should pay the guy something for it...if he has a receipt from the Pawn Shop. He bought it legally, they sold it legally since they would have checked the serial number and since you (likely) reported the wrong number when stolen, they were legit in their actions.
I asked the detective about this last week. He said since it was stolen the guy should get his money back from the pawn shop. He said that was between the guy and the pawnshop. I got the impression the detective may not have fully believed the story.

Yes, I did give the wrong serial #, but I was given the wrong one. If I had known the correct one last year I would have gotten the bike back before I had moved (if it was really at a pawn shop). Unfortunate all around as now I have to pay to ship it.

Suffice to say having it picked up, packed, and shipped in cost is probably not that far off of the cost of what the bike should go for used. It is an 11 year old bike and the only reason it is worth the trouble is it has a lot of memories for me. My wife and I are moving this week so finances are VERY tight. I have been thinking of sending a small gift card or something as a way of thanks to the seller for cooperating with the police... but I am unsure as I have not had direct contact and it may be better to leave well enough alone. Thoughts?

MM
Old 09-28-16, 11:43 AM
mccreadym

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yendor72
Can you reveal the bike shop you bought it from? Sounds like a solid place.

Erik's bike shop
Old 09-28-16, 12:03 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,579 Times in 1,430 Posts
Why should the OP owe the guy anything? It was HIS stolen bike, regardless of how someone ended up with it. That's not to say the current "owner" did anything, but he does have recourse to the pawn shop, who in turn has recourse to wherever they got it. If anyone can't recover his loss from whomever, then it's his loss.

It's kind of like a fraudulent check. Imagine, you're balancing your checking a/c and find a fraudulent check that you never wrote. You call,it to the attention of your bank and they restore the dough to your a/c, and send it back to where it came from, and it's up to those people to get their money back until it finally comes to the person who took it from the criminal and eats the loss.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-28-16, 01:11 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
The guy who bought it from the pawn shop could be a super-nice guy who thought he got a crazy good deal on a decent bike ... or he could be the thief's third cousin, and the guy who sold the bike to the pawn shop could be his brother-in-law, and the guy who owns the pawn shop is his other sister's father-in-law.

Everybody loses out in this case ... but the OP at least gets to (essentially) buy his bike back for probably what the pawn shop sold it for.
Old 09-28-16, 05:36 PM
02Giant 

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Why should the OP owe the guy anything? It was HIS stolen bike, regardless of how someone ended up with it. That's not to say the current "owner" did anything, but he does have recourse to the pawn shop, who in turn has recourse to wherever they got it. If anyone can't recover his loss from whomever, then it's his loss.

It's kind of like a fraudulent check. Imagine, you're balancing your checking a/c and find a fraudulent check that you never wrote. You call,it to the attention of your bank and they restore the dough to your a/c, and send it back to where it came from, and it's up to those people to get their money back until it finally comes to the person who took it from the criminal and eats the loss.
Had the OP provided the correct serial number to the police when the bike was stolen, it would have never been sold by the pawn shop in the first place and the OP would have had the bike returned to him 11 years ago(or whenever it was taken to the pawn shop). The OP created the mess by providing the incorrect information.
Old 09-28-16, 06:07 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,579 Times in 1,430 Posts
.... The OP created the mess by providing the incorrect information.
No, the thief created the mess. All that follows flows from that. The current owner has recourse to the pawn shop, which is obligated to refund his money, since the transaction was illegal. If the pawn shop refuses, their customer should prevail in small claims court.

Getting distracted by the side issue of the serial number missis the point. Consider what law would apply to provably stolen items that don't have serial numbers, or were transferred to places where the serial number wouldn't be registered either way.

I understand that the current owner probably acted in good faith, but he wouldn't be the first person who was acting in good faith and still lost out. And as I said, he has recourse, so if the OP gives him any compensation, he'd actually be compensating the pawn shop, for whom this is simply the cost of doing business.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-28-16, 09:32 PM
mccreadym

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Had the OP provided the correct serial number to the police when the bike was stolen, it would have never been sold by the pawn shop in the first place and the OP would have had the bike returned to him 11 years ago(or whenever it was taken to the pawn shop). The OP created the mess by providing the incorrect information.
If you will read the posts I bought the bike 11 years ago and it was stolen last year. I was provided the incorrect information by the bike store I bought it from (it happens). Yes I know I should have had the serial # written down. Had I been given the correct serial # last year that would have made things a lot easier for me I wouldn't have to pay over $130 for the bike to be packed and shipped... Anyways maybe I should be blamed for locking my bike too.... Really buggered that one didn't I

MM
Old 09-29-16, 03:17 AM
02Giant 

If you will read the posts I bought the bike 11 years ago and it was stolen last year. I was provided the incorrect information by the bike store I bought it from (it happens). Yes I know I should have had the serial # written down. Had I been given the correct serial # last year that would have made things a lot easier for me I wouldn't have to pay over $130 for the bike to be packed and shipped... Anyways maybe I should be blamed for locking my bike too.... Really buggered that one didn't I

MM
My mistake in the timeline relation, it doesn't matter. You caused the mess and continue to do so. You "have to pay over $130" because you choose to.
Again, if you provided the correct serial number to the police, the pawn shop would not have sold the bike.

I get it...through your eyes, your the only victim and with no responsibility.

Save
Save
Old 09-29-16, 06:55 AM
shafter

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My mistake in the timeline relation, it doesn't matter. You caused the mess and continue to do so. You "have to pay over $130" because you choose to.
Again, if you provided the correct serial number to the police, the pawn shop would not have sold the bike.

I get it...through your eyes, your the only victim and with no responsibility.

Save
Save
Harsh! I'm glad the guy got his bike, and i don't think it matters whose "fault" it was.
Old 09-29-16, 07:06 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I agree with 02Giant: The OP should go to jail for the bike shop messing up the serial number, and also have to give the bike back to the guy who purchased the stolen bike ... and reimburse the thief for calling him a "thief." Maybe he honestly mistook the OP's bike for his own.

When I read stories like this I am so outraged ... I may have to run for office so I can write and promote laws which properly protect the poor victimized thieves and painfully punish the people who enable thieves buy buying things which thieves can steal.

It is obviously entirely the OP's fault---if he hadn't bought a bike in the first place, he could never have been robbed. Obviously the OP caused the whole problem.

Stories like this just burn me up. I hate it when thieves cannot make a profit, and hate it even more when people get robbed and then think they have a right to get their stuff back.

The OP actually thinks he is the "victim" of a "crime"???? Hah. Obviously he is responsible for the theft because of what he did after the theft. He is also culpable for even owning a bike, which makes him doubly guilty. How can people not see how that makes perfect sense?
Old 09-29-16, 07:16 AM
mccreadym

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I agree with 02Giant: The OP should go to jail for the bike shop messing up the serial number, and also have to give the bike back to the guy who purchased the stolen bike ... and reimburse the thief for calling him a "thief." Maybe he honestly mistook the OP's bike for his own.

When I read stories like this I am so outraged ... I may have to run for office so I can write and promote laws which properly protect the poor victimized thieves and painfully punish the people who enable thieves buy buying things which thieves can steal.

It is obviously entirely the OP's fault---if he hadn't bought a bike in the first place, he could never have been robbed. Obviously the OP caused the whole problem.

Stories like this just burn me up. I hate it when thieves cannot make a profit, and hate it even more when people get robbed and then think they have a right to get their stuff back.

The OP actually thinks he is the "victim" of a "crime"???? Hah. Obviously he is responsible for the theft because of what he did after the theft. He is also culpable for even owning a bike, which makes him doubly guilty. How can people not see how that makes perfect sense?

but seriously who pissed in O2giants coffee this morning?
Ohhhh thats right I must have

MM
Old 09-29-16, 07:31 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,543 Times in 7,329 Posts
I wish I could say that I am surprised at the turn this thread has taken. Sadly, though, I am not surprised.

With apologies to whoever wrote the script for "Chinatown": Forget it, Mccreadym, it's Bikeforums.
Old 09-29-16, 09:54 AM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Erik's bike shop
Thanks for the info. That's where I bought my Masi.
Old 09-29-16, 11:16 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
When I owned the bike shop, my point of sale system was set up to record the serial number of each bike sold with the customer's contact info.
At least twice that I can remember, I was able to reunite rightful owners with their bicycles thanks to people who had found the bikes abandoned, and thanks to the decal affixed near the bottom bracket with my store name and phone number.
Old 09-29-16, 12:05 PM
mccreadym

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yendor72
Thanks for the info. That's where I bought my Masi.
They are a great chain. I have also heard good things about NOW bikes and fitness.
I will be checking out the lowertown bike shop next week. Any other shops you like around the cities? (I may be getting road bike and/or tandem in the next year or so.

MM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.