Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Jamis Renegade owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-18, 09:42 AM
5teve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by D.zo
Lots of good information on this thread. I was in between two bikes and I think I am going to go with the 2018 Renegade Exploit.

Anything I should know before committing? I haven't been able to test ride the bike as none of the shops near me have one available.

Any arguments for going up from the exploit to the escapade?

The differences I see are:

-WTB i23 Frequency Team i23 disc rims vs. WTB i23 STS disc rims
-Ultegra vs. 105,
-Saddles are different
-Overall weight is almost 2 lbs lighter on the escapade.
One thing you should try if you can is to see how the brake levers feel to you. The hoods on the exploit and escapade have very different shapes! I didn't care for the exploit levers and upgraded to the escapade-the lighter weight is just a bonus.
Old 03-29-18, 06:17 AM
D.zo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 5teve
One thing you should try if you can is to see how the brake levers feel to you.
Unfortunately the shop didn't have either model on hand so I couldn't try them. I ended up ordering the exploit... I guess if it is a real problem I can always just upgrade that piece.
Old 03-29-18, 07:06 AM
5teve

Unfortunately the shop didn't have either model on hand so I couldn't try them. I ended up ordering the exploit... I guess if it is a real problem I can always just upgrade that piece.
It'll probably be fine-I'm fussy about such stuff but I'll bet even I could've adjusted to it. I got the Escapade mostly 'cause I wanted to. Rationalizations are fun, eh? They pack a lot of value and performance into this bike at all component levels-hope you enjoy yours!
Old 03-29-18, 08:08 PM
Danny01

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lots of good information on this thread. I was in between two bikes and I think I am going to go with the 2018 Renegade Exploit.

Anything I should know before committing? I haven't been able to test ride the bike as none of the shops near me have one available.

Any arguments for going up from the exploit to the escapade?

The differences I see are:

-WTB i23 Frequency Team i23 disc rims vs. WTB i23 STS disc rims
-Ultegra vs. 105,
-Saddles are different
-Overall weight is almost 2 lbs lighter on the escapade.
I actually think the Escapade is the better value. The shifters on the exploit aren't the greatest. They're kind of like Shimano's beta test, hence the lack of 105 label. Just the shifters alone are worth the $500. 2lb for $500 is a bargain . IMO the paint job is the prettiest too.
Old 03-29-18, 08:45 PM
megaclyde

Bikes: Kona Sutra, Surly Ogre, Kona Rove ST, Trek Stache 5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I picked up a Renegade Expert today, sort of by accident, to primarily use as a road bike. I couldn't stand the Claris package or bargain basement brakes on my Marin Nicasio commuter anymore so I went to my LBS to see about upgrading the hardware. The Jamis caught my eye, it was the right size frame and they offered me a nice discount. Next thing I know I'm having some 700X28 Continentals put on the Jamis and I retired my Fuji Sportif and robbed the 105 groupset and Avid brakes for the Marin. With the right tires I think the Jamis makes a pretty nice road ride for someone my size. I'm trying to fall asleep but I'm too excited thinking about my morning commute. Instead of clanking along on my Claris equipped Marin (which is still undergoing surgery) I'll be putting the first miles on the Renegade. :-)
Old 03-31-18, 05:28 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by megaclyde
I'm trying to fall asleep but I'm too excited
I was trying to sleep, and the alarm went off dam iT!. And I am not excited.
Old 04-02-18, 07:40 AM
D.zo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Danny01
Just the shifters alone are worth the $500

Sure. $500 for shifters-- that's a steal.
Old 04-02-18, 08:36 AM
Danny01

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sure. $500 for shifters-- that's a steal.
If you've ridden both the 1st gen shimano road hydro shifters and the new Ultegra/Dura ace hydro models, you would know that the new ones are a significant improvement and now in line with the quality and performance of the rest of the 105/Ultegra/DA branded stuff. Considering what the Ultegra 8020 shifters cost, yeah, the $500 is worth it. You also get the new R8000 stuff everything else including rotors which cost significantly more the 5800. When considering the price jump from the Tiagra level Expat to the 105 level Exploit is $1,000, $500 looks like a bargain.
Old 04-02-18, 09:09 AM
D.zo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Danny01
If you've ridden both the 1st gen shimano road hydro shifters and the new Ultegra/Dura ace hydro models, you would know that the new ones are a significant improvement and now in line with the quality and performance of the rest of the 105/Ultegra/DA branded stuff. Considering what the Ultegra 8020 shifters cost, yeah, the $500 is worth it. You also get the new R8000 stuff everything else including rotors which cost significantly more the 5800. When considering the price jump from the Tiagra level Expat to the 105 level Exploit is $1,000, $500 looks like a bargain.
good point.

now I am second guessing my decision.
Old 04-02-18, 09:37 AM
5teve

I picked up my new Escapade late last week and got in a couple of good shakedown rides this weekend! I like this bike, with a few parts swaps it fits and suits me well, and I like the way it rides and handles. It's not particularly light but it'll do for my purposes. I think it's a keeper!
Old 04-03-18, 05:24 AM
D.zo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up my new Escapade late last week and got in a couple of good shakedown rides this weekend! I like this bike, with a few parts swaps it fits and suits me well, and I like the way it rides and handles. It's not particularly light but it'll do for my purposes. I think it's a keeper!
Very nice. Are those the tires that it came with?
Old 04-03-18, 07:24 AM
5teve

Very nice. Are those the tires that it came with?
Nope, they're Compass BonJon Pass, standard casing. They roll really nicely!
Old 04-11-18, 04:39 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 281 Posts
Need some advice... Planning on selling my 2017 Exploit with less than 5 miles on it. What should I ask for it? Thanks in advance...
Old 04-11-18, 04:40 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 281 Posts
Sweet! Love those tires!

Old 04-11-18, 05:28 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
Need some advice... Planning on selling my 2017 Exploit with less than 5 miles on it. What should I ask for it? Thanks in advance...
Start with 50% of retail and adjust if no takers. That there is a newer 105 out may work against you.
Old 04-12-18, 07:43 AM
5teve

Originally Posted by Caliwild
Sweet! Love those tires!
They roll even better than they look!
Old 04-16-18, 06:43 AM
D.zo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's the new bike

Added some new tires - WTB Rambler 42mm barely fit in the rear (had to sand the tread down just a little bit.) I'll probably go with 40s next time. She rides great though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0048.jpg (165.7 KB, 957 views)
Old 04-16-18, 06:52 AM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Here's the new bike

Added some new tires - WTB Rambler 42mm barely fit in the rear (had to sand the tread down just a little bit.) I'll probably go with 40s next time. She rides great though.
Great looking bike!
Old 04-16-18, 07:02 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Nice
Old 04-20-18, 04:26 PM
hnasir

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not as fancy as the higher end models, this is my first road bike (had a hybrid before), and I absolutely love it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3329.JPG (255.2 KB, 903 views)
Old 04-23-18, 12:47 PM
hammb

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hnasir
Not as fancy as the higher end models, this is my first road bike (had a hybrid before), and I absolutely love it!
Downtown Cleveland! NICE!

I got the Expat, not one of the fancier high end ones talked about here either. Absolutely loving it, going for rides that I never could have imagined on my old Mountain Bike.
Old 04-23-18, 12:58 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
great looking bike nonetheless. I like it!

Here's the new bike

I think that is sweet looking. I want one so bad.
Old 04-23-18, 05:32 PM
Derekve

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Base, 2018 Jamis Renegade Expat

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As quoted above...still a very nice bike and most importantly you love it!
What rack did you put on it?
Old 04-23-18, 05:42 PM
Junkbeast

Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane SL 5 Gen 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
BKL seems to be a fairly popular destination to fly into from my area.

A lot of people discussing the Expat...did you pick Exile purely from a budget decision or did you want to limit your exposure for your first road style bike? I too am coming from a hybrid and was looking at the Expat or Jari 2.1. An Exile or Jari 2.5 would save a few hundred dollars and if I didn't really like the bike I'm not out as much.
Old 04-24-18, 09:31 AM
hammb

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkbeast
BKL seems to be a fairly popular destination to fly into from my area.

A lot of people discussing the Expat...did you pick Exile purely from a budget decision or did you want to limit your exposure for your first road style bike? I too am coming from a hybrid and was looking at the Expat or Jari 2.1. An Exile or Jari 2.5 would save a few hundred dollars and if I didn't really like the bike I'm not out as much.

I test rode both of them when I was shopping a few months back. However, I test rode the Exploit first (which was nowhere near my price range) due to it being already on the floor in my size and ready to roll. I went from the Exploit -> Exile -> Expat.

I ended up on the Expat because it felt (to me) nearly identical to the much pricier Exploit. I felt the Exile was a noticeable drop down in ease of shifting and braking performance. I would have been happy with the Exile as well, though, the deciding factor for me was the LBS willing to take a good percentage off of MSRP because they were the '17 models still in stock.

Best advice I can give is to go out and ride them and see how you feel. I went in expecting to buy an Exile, but for me, I could justify the extra few hundred bucks for the difference in how they felt for me. IT is my first drop bar bike as well, but I also lived with my crappy Diamondback mountain bike for 15 years, so I'm confident I'll get 15+ years out of this bike as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.