Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Sweat management

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-18, 07:16 PM
jfoobar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Bought one of these for $7:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Used it on a very hot half-century today and I thought it worked quite well.
Old 07-15-18, 12:39 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Thank you for the recommendation of the Halo II sweat bands. I took one and used it on a 10 mile ride at 97 degree average temps, and no sweat got in my eyes.
Old 07-16-18, 07:52 AM
love2pedal.com

Bikes: Colnago C50

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
On medium to warm days I use a Halo headband and it works well.

On super hot, humid days my sweat output overwhelms even the Halo headband and sweat will start running into my eyes.

The thing that works the best for me on the hottest days is the Sweat Gutr. It is a rubbery band with a 'gutter' that channels water away from the front of your face. Works really well and I get substantially less sweat in my eyes than when using a Halo
Old 07-16-18, 07:57 AM
love2pedal.com

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have also ordered these but haven't tried them yet. VEO strip. Work along the lines of a Sweat Gutr, but stick directly to your forehead. Don't know if they will work for me or not but worth a try.

Old 07-18-18, 09:01 AM
love2pedal.com

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I got my VEO sweat strips and tried them out on a hot humid 1.5 hour ride.

Conclusion: I like them a lot and will continue using them

Pluses:
1) They really do greatly reduce the amount of sweat rolling into eyes. As good as my Sweat Gutr (which was my go-to sweatband before this)
2) They stick to your forehead with an adhesive strip and it held securely the whole ride.
3) Doesn't block air flow to skin like a wide sweatband does. So keeps head a little cooler than a fabric sweatband
4) No part of the Veo strip goes under your helmet (altering the fit of your helmet)

Cons:
1) One time use then you toss but they are not that pricey for the benefit they provide.

Last edited by love2pedal.com; 07-22-18 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-18-18, 09:10 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
related: while we are on the topic. for anyone with hyperhidrosis, like me. just heard about this website & thought I'd share it

https://www.checkyoursweat.com/?gcli...FYyDswodQUkFeg
Old 08-02-18, 10:56 PM
bergerkjh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let’s get to the root of the problem why is your sweet toxic and blinding? Excessive salt, you are either not properly hydrated to start your ride or not getting enough liquids in you throughout. Reducing Salt intake will also dilute it.

Sweat should not burn your eyes, in fact some use it as a guide to judge their hydration levels. Don’t exercise until your pee pee is clear.
Old 08-03-18, 10:08 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by bergerkjh
Don’t exercise until your pee pee is clear.
I keep seeing this, and it's completely wrong. Clear urine means too much water in the system. Sweat with no salt in it means too much water in the system-- and yes, if you ride 4-5 hours in high heat and have no salt deposits whatsoever, you are more than likely going to pay for that error later. Electrolyte balance is every bit as important as hydration level. You can have a belly full of water and still get heat exhaustion.

Source: me, a guy who routinely rides 4-5 hours in high heat
Old 08-03-18, 12:30 PM
ChuckD6421 

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 5.2; 1986 Cannondale R800

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I keep seeing this, and it's completely wrong. Clear urine means too much water in the system. Sweat with no salt in it means too much water in the system-- and yes, if you ride 4-5 hours in high heat and have no salt deposits whatsoever, you are more than likely going to pay for that error later. Electrolyte balance is every bit as important as hydration level. You can have a belly full of water and still get heat exhaustion.

Source: me, a guy who routinely rides 4-5 hours in high heat
Going back 30 or so years to when I raced Cat. 2 Road I've always had salty sweat that would nearly blind me if not washed out, and a lot of it. Back then I didn't understand electrolyte usage and, in retrospect can trace calf and quad cramping to that. But in the past couple years I've discovered that drinking an electrolyte while exercising has eliminated, full stop, any cramping (unless I rode into distances that I wasn't trained for, then all bets are off). I'm a Big Fan of Skratch Labs Hydration mix and every ride now I carry one bottle of half-strength and another of just fresh water. The fresh water is because I continue to sweat really salty, mineral-rich sweat and 40 minutes into a hot ride I'll need to spray my face and under my helmet. So I also take issue with the theory that stinging sweat is indicative of a water or salt imbalance that I'm somehow responsible for. It's just how I am.

To bring this back to the original post, I just picked up another kind of sweat band that I really like; the French Fitness Revolution which sports a CoolMax certification (not sure what all that means, but I also like CoolMax). Been on a couple rides with it. It's thin so fits under the helmet easily, and even with my blessed full head of hair I still feel coolness and my face stays free of rivers of sweat.
Old 08-05-18, 06:31 AM
bergerkjh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the forum is content placing a bandaid on the issue, literally and figuratively please try the sham wow, I’d get 4 and wrap your head in it turban style.

your sweat should not be blinding in a healthy balanced body.
Old 08-05-18, 07:35 AM
breadbin

Bikes: Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by love2pedal.com
I got my VEO sweat strips and tried them out on a hot humid 1.5 hour ride.

Conclusion: I like them a lot and will continue using them

Pluses:
1) They really do greatly reduce the amount of sweat rolling into eyes. As good as my Sweat Gutr (which was my go-to sweatband before this)
2) They stick to your forehead with an adhesive strip and it held securely the whole ride.
3) Doesn't block air flow to skin like a wide sweatband does. So keeps head a little cooler than a fabric sweatband
4) No part of the Veo strip goes under your helmet (altering the fit of your helmet)

Cons:
1) One time use then you toss but they are not that pricey for the benefit they provide.

I could have used this today, it looks interesting. I also sweat a lot. I went for a spin today and it wasn't sunny but was quite humid and I was cycling (freewheeling) down a hill on the way home. My eyes were stinging, the left one more so and I could barely keep it open. I was enjoying the rest period going downhill so I just struggled on until I came to the bottom and wiped my eyes then. Not very safety conscious I have to admit
Old 08-06-18, 09:41 AM
ChuckD6421 

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bergerkjh
If the forum is content placing a bandaid on the issue, literally and figuratively please try the sham wow, I’d get 4 and wrap your head in it turban style.

your sweat should not be blinding in a healthy balanced body.
I would note that it appears you've just joined this forum and claim to be a NYC fixie rider. Nothing against fixie riders in general but I haven't met any that had a whole lot of experience with cycling or exercise. FWIW, I was a "fixie rider" decades before it was cool.

So, putting aside your rather snide comment, maybe you could enlighten us as to why we're so unhealthy and unbalanced?
Old 08-07-18, 09:03 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Clear urine means
this article below reminded me of your reply. over-hydration can be a problem too "hyponatremia"

article excerpt:
With August football practice fast approaching, every coach's favorite cheer will be to "stay hydrated" and "keep urine clear" during the summer heat.

With August football practice fast approaching, every coach's favorite cheer will be to "stay hydrated" and "keep urine clear" during the summer heat.

In 2017, a University of Texas football coach created a urine-based "Longhorn Football Hydration Chart," which labeled players with yellow urine as "selfish teammates" and those with brown urine as "bad guys." This "hydration shaming" practice has permeated high school sports, thereby encouraging a sporting culture which equates superior performance with superior hydration.

Overzealous obedience to this hydration advice has uncovered a dark underbelly to superior hydration practices: overhydration. When high school football player Walker Wilbanks died in Mississippi in August 2014 from overhydration, the doctor said that the cause of death was an "unpredictable freak occurrence."

Two weeks prior, another high school football player from Georgia drank "two gallons of water and two gallons of Gatorade" after football practice to prevent muscle cramps and then died. Thus, over the last four years, two high school football players have died during August football practice from overhydrating -- a medical condition known as exercise-associated hyponatremia.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/07/healt...ner/index.html
Old 08-07-18, 10:25 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Old 08-08-18, 01:21 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by ChuckD6421
I would note that it appears you've just joined this forum and claim to be a NYC fixie rider. Nothing against fixie riders in general but I haven't met any that had a whole lot of experience with cycling or exercise. FWIW, I was a "fixie rider" decades before it was cool.

So, putting aside your rather snide comment, maybe you could enlighten us as to why we're so unhealthy and unbalanced?

Not enough PBR
Old 08-08-18, 02:32 PM
ChuckD6421 

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by growlerdinky
Not enough PBR
Peanut butter and relly?
Ruh roh.
Old 08-09-18, 12:06 PM
bergerkjh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChuckD6421

so I am being stalked. Super. Yes I’m a fixie rider, 10 years so maybe I beat it before it was cool too, 1 thing is for sure is that you are not. Also hipsters don’t ride fixed they always have a free wheel. Your Midwest knowledge Has failed you.

But back to the main point. When did you last see a real athlete being blinded by his own sweat? Come on. It’s simple and if you did just a touch of research from a non forum you’ll see it’s the salty American diet. Potassium deficiencies will also throw the natural balance off. But it’s generally safe to say too much salt and not enough water in you. Drink as you exercise, load up before and you can let the sweat just drip down your face, it’s rather invigorating
Old 08-09-18, 01:23 PM
maletero

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The problem is not so much the composition as it is the volume. I think it's probably the same for most of us who have posed to this thread. Sure, sometimes the sweat stings my eyes, but much, much more often the problem is that there's just too much sweat. It's in my eyes, and, yes, dripping down my face. It's everywhere. I don't find it invigorating.

The reason I started this thread is that with all that sweat, it gets into my eyes, and onto the inside of my glasses. That's where it can cause real problems vis a vis vision. It can be like looking through a swimming pool. The solutions presented here have helped.
Old 08-09-18, 01:36 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
the other thing to consider if you have lost a lot of hair is, sunburn on the top of your head. Halo makes a summer skull cap that should address both problems.
I got a ball cap with the logo of the onion packer whose late founder was a nice guy but couldn't drive well and nearly hit me twice, once on foot at the corner...

In his memory of course. He was a huge part of our local economy.
Old 08-09-18, 01:37 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
How did the color of my pee get into this?
Old 08-15-18, 10:24 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
I sweat a ton and I have had an intolerance to heat since I was a kid. Lately it's been getting worse and worse. As it got worse it started affecting my job as it gets up to 115° regularly in the summer and 99% humidity. I was finding every excuse I could to stay in the office and not go out on the production floor where I should be. After an hour, I had to come back in the office and sit with my fan blowing on me and freeze everyone else out turning the AC down so I could cool down and dry off. Within seconds of walking out of my air conditioned office or the equipment control room, I looked like I just took a shower with my clothes on.

Since I'm broke, I started looking into heat intolerance on the net instead of going to the doctor. Was looking at hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid which affects your body's temperature regulation) and I read a lot about being vitamin B deficient to be a problem with hyperthyroidism.

I started taking a B Complex vitamin and the following week when the plant was well over 100° Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday and 90's the rest of the week, I never broke a sweat once. It was still hot as 100° is still hot, but my tolerance for it improved tremendously. That was just a few weeks ago. I have yet to really break a sweat at work and I am far more comfortable in the 100° plus heat and extreme humidity.

Last bike ride I took was suppose to be 4 nights camping in WV riding the North Bend trail and another trail. I rode 20 miles, the trail sucked bad so 2 of us turned around to go get the car and meet the other 2 we were riding with at the camp ground. I made it an additional 15 miles back and stopped at a Dairy Queen while my buddy continued and brought the car back to get me. I went into Dairy Queen, got a glass of ice water and an ice cream. Ate and drank that and passed out for 20 minutes. When I woke back up, I grabbed something to eat and my buddy finally came to pick me up.

I haven't gone on a 90° or warmer bike ride (or a bike ride in any weather actually) since starting taking the B Complex, but I should fair much better than I have been these past few years. I may get out to ride this weekend for a 60-80 mile all day ride. Heck, we would start out in the spring at 50° and once I was moving and my body started heating up, I was sweating like a pig. I'm anxious to see how I will handle riding now.
Old 08-15-18, 11:11 AM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wear a cycling cap at all times, I really don't sweat much during the ride, its after I'm off and done that the torrential down pour comes.