Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Favorite Prepackaged Snack Bar - 2019??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Favorite Prepackaged Snack Bar - 2019??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-19, 08:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by PickleRick
As a prepackage snack bar?....sorry, no, it does not count. (would not travel well over a 60-100 mile ride)
....as a tasty mid-ride snack? Absofregginlutely! --- did you have a dos equis with it??
Nope, diet soda ridiculously enough. The burrito was way more than snack size, BTW. I got really hungry, and thought "what the hell", broke routine and had dinner during my evening ride instead of waiting until after.

Worked out well, probably do it again sometime.

I did a thread some months back about during ride meals because I routinely do century-plus rides, and love eating out during them. I started the thread mostly because there's so many people asserting that you'll get sick if you do this that I wanted to know if I was the only one. Turns out, a lot of people do the same thing without ill effect, and it's a lot of fun.
Old 05-10-19, 08:31 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I rode 12 1/2 miles, ate a burrito and rode 12 1/2 miles back last night after work, does that count? It was sort of bar shaped.
Frozen burrito removed from jersey pocket, peeled and eaten while riding? +Pro points!
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 05-10-19, 08:36 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
As alluded to above, ride far enough, and you can eat pretty much whatever you want. The stop at mile 90 of 157, a delicious BBQ chicken sammitch at The Schwack in Dana Point:

I think I was in the saddle around 9 hours that day, and ate... one Clif bar?
Old 05-10-19, 08:39 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
As a prepackage snack bar?....sorry, no, it does not count. (would not travel well over a 60-100 mile ride)
....as a tasty mid-ride snack? Absofregginlutely! --- did you have a dos equis with it??
Counterpoint: I carried two bean and potato burritos (from Taco John's -- it's a midwest thing) in my jersey pocket for a 9-hour 125-mile gravel ride a couple weeks ago and they were just fine.

I was trying out some new things for my nutrition strategy. As it turns out I didn't like the burritos mid-ride, they didn't sit that well with my stomach in the heat. But as far as keeping, they were fine.
Old 05-10-19, 10:13 AM
PickleRick

Bikes: Felt Z4, Trek Remedy 9.8, Pivot 429SL Di2, Salsa Warbird Di2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Counterpoint: I carried two bean and potato burritos (from Taco John's -- it's a midwest thing) in my jersey pocket for a 9-hour 125-mile gravel ride a couple weeks ago and they were just fine.

I was trying out some new things for my nutrition strategy. As it turns out I didn't like the burritos mid-ride, they didn't sit that well with my stomach in the heat. But as far as keeping, they were fine.
Fair-doos. Guess it depends on who wraps the thing. If I got a burrito from my local Mexican eatery it would be salsa and sour cream nightmare in my jersey in less than 9mins -- let alone 9 hours.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Nope, diet soda ridiculously enough. The burrito was way more than snack size, BTW. I got really hungry and thought "what the hell", broke routine and had dinner during my evening ride instead of waiting until after.

Worked out well, probably do it again sometime.

I did a thread some months back about during ride meals because I routinely do century-plus rides, and love eating out during them. I started the thread mostly because there's so many people asserting that you'll get sick if you do this that I wanted to know if I was the only one. Turns out, a lot of people do the same thing without ill effect, and it's a lot of fun.
Yes! I am one of those people (who gets sick while exercising). If I did eat a burrito or cheeseburger mid-ride, as some have mentioned, I'd be roadside vomiting within 20miles (a nice snack for the crows). I need to keep my intake small and persistent.
Old 05-10-19, 02:38 PM
55murray

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
Have not seen my favs yet, which are Nature Valley Sweet and Salty Nut bars. I eat one every 20 miles or so past the 50 mile mark...
Old 05-10-19, 03:14 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Fair-doos. Guess it depends on who wraps the thing. If I got a burrito from my local Mexican eatery it would be salsa and sour cream nightmare in my jersey in less than 9mins -- let alone 9 hours.
Yeah I had to be very specific with the counter guy that I didn't want any cheese/salsa/sour cream etc.

So this is outside of the scope of your initial question but my go-to fuel during a ride is a handful of pitted Medjool dates. Not exactly a bar but it's just about as hassle-free as anything prepackaged. I prefer real foods because my stomach tolerates them better, but obviously this isn't going to be something that works for everyone.
Old 05-10-19, 03:23 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Circus Peanuts.
Old 05-10-19, 07:51 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Yes! I am one of those people (who gets sick while exercising). If I did eat a burrito or cheeseburger mid-ride, as some have mentioned, I'd be roadside vomiting within 20miles (a nice snack for the crows). I need to keep my intake small and persistent.
A man's got to know his limitations.
I've actually gorged on buffets 50-70 miles into 100 mile rides. If there was an endurance riding competitive eating biathlon, I could be a contender.
Old 05-11-19, 06:30 AM
Glenn6870 

Bikes: 2022 Giant Revolt Advanced; 2017 Giant Contend SL2 Disc; 1997 Trek Singletrack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Nature's Bakery fig bars from Costco. So much better than Fig Newtons, easy to open package, not expensive, taste great on the bike without drying out your mouth.
This is all i buy, but i wish they did taste a little more like fig newtons. they are still good. My only other complaint is i wish Costco sold a box of all Raspberry! I have to hide them in the gun safe or my wife will eat all the raspberry before i can!

By the way, if you’ve only ever bought them at Costco, do you know they make a Lemon flavor? I’ve only seen them at the supermarket at the checkout lane. Not as good as i was hoping they would be, but still good.
Old 05-11-19, 03:43 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I just got some ThinkThin Protein Bites and they're different from the ThinkThin bars. No maltitol or other sugar alcohols, just cane sugar and "brown rice syrup" as sweeteners. Combo of soy and whey proteins, 3g per bite. Not bad tasting -- I tried the white chocolate covered lemon and chocolate covered caramel. Good texture. It might pass for candy if your idea of candy was classic 1914 era Mary Janes.
Old 05-13-19, 12:02 PM
foothillbilly

Bikes: Ancheer folding e-bike, ancient Trek (24" wheels, modified for my back problem), Zizzo trailer, homemade trailer

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I'm a Type 2 diabetic, so this is a serious thing for me. I like chocolate and I need something that won't melt, but only in warm weather. I use the "dipped" granola bars (whatever brand is cheap) in cool weather and Nature's Bakery brownies when the chocolate coating would melt.
Old 05-13-19, 12:21 PM
VK_Rides84
NooBie

Bikes: Giant - Roam3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Macrobars

Macrobars are great for protein with limited sugar.

They taste good and have but free options since I have Crohn’s disease the buts don’t agree with me.

i like the peanut butter/chocolate chip the best.
Old 05-13-19, 12:47 PM
Snowflake6
Sprockets away!

Bikes: 2021 Prior Prime 105 Disc, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc, 1996 Brodie Quantum, 1984 Norco Monterey (SRAM automatix two-speed), 198x Cramerotti Campagnolo Chorus (restored)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Clif Builder's Bars are my current favorite. Chocolate Mint because the Chocolate ones are too chocolatey and I can't stand the taste of the other flavours i've found.

I used to love Lara Bars but got turned off by the cost and the lack of variety available in my area. The Apple ones are great, but getting them by the box for a reasonable price is hard.
Old 05-13-19, 02:43 PM
rondi

Bikes: Scott CR1 Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paydays (small ones @ Wally) and Fig Newtons--neither get your hands messy on a hot day, AND don't cause an upset gut.
Old 05-13-19, 05:27 PM
drbarney1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Quest bars at bodybuilding.com and GNC have plenty of protein and no added sugar. Choose the flavors which are sweetened with stevia instead of sucrolose. Legionathletics.com has protein bars with a few more calories and they too are better than the commercial brands made bu General Mills and the like. Stay away from G bars. They have more added sugar such as HFCS that protein because they are made by Gatorade which is owned by Pepsi.
Old 05-15-19, 05:54 AM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Had

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Man Card revoked!
He had one?
Old 05-15-19, 06:01 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
I definitely go for fig bars when touring, especially when I am camping far from any town. They are light to carry and make a good, easy breakfast. Strawberry Newtons are also good.
Old 05-15-19, 06:52 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

It's most interesting that many people seem to have conditioned themselves in such as way as to be incapable of riding after taking in a meal-sized portion of food mid-ride. My first ever century featured carne asada fries at mile 70. Several times a month I ride 30-50 miles (depending on route) to my wife's workplace for lunch, then ride ~30 miles home-- and the last 30 are generally the fastest miles.
Old 05-15-19, 08:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
It's most interesting that many people seem to have conditioned themselves in such as way as to be incapable of riding after taking in a meal-sized portion of food mid-ride. My first ever century featured carne asada fries at mile 70. Several times a month I ride 30-50 miles (depending on route) to my wife's workplace for lunch, then ride ~30 miles home-- and the last 30 are generally the fastest miles.
I'm like you in that regard, but I don't think not being able to eat like that and ride is likely a matter of conditioning so much as it is probably genetics. People's stomach sizes and digestion/metabolic patterns vary a lot, and I suspect there are probably even more subtle physical differences between people that may account for this. Whenever this topic comes up, there's a tendency to discuss things in "this works for me, so your way is wrong" terms, and I just think people need to figure out what does or doesn't work for them.
Old 05-15-19, 09:03 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

I think in my case it's just that I forget that 140lb people exist. I haven't been below 200lbs for more than a few minutes since the mid-90s. I take in-- on average-- 3,500kcal a day.

So I'm not saying anyone's way is wrong, it's just interesting that people can you know... not eat. Like, be incapable of eating. I just ate and I could eat right now. Small folks are a trip, man.
Old 05-15-19, 09:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I think in my case it's just that I forget that 140lb people exist. I haven't been below 200lbs for more than a few minutes since the mid-90s. I take in-- on average-- 3,500kcal a day.

So I'm not saying anyone's way is wrong, it's just interesting that people can you know... not eat. Like, be incapable of eating. I just ate and I could eat right now. Small folks are a trip, man.
From what I've seen, what we're talking about isn't confined to small people--they can eat, just not in the midst of strenuous activity. I know skinny people who can do this, and fat people who can't. I think it's something of an independent variable.
Old 05-15-19, 09:27 AM
PickleRick

Bikes: Felt Z4, Trek Remedy 9.8, Pivot 429SL Di2, Salsa Warbird Di2

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
For me, it's been a limitation that I've had since I was a wee lad. I learned very quickly that eating lunch before running around with friends at school meant that lunch would end up on the playground.
It's happened 3 times in my "adult-stage." Twice while weightlifting (luckily I made it to the parking lot both times -whew!) and last time, grad school (years ago) doing a 20K run. I'm not a huge guy, but I'm not small either, 5ft 10in, 172lb. I've just always assumed i have smaller stomach than most folks.
I no longer tempt the Gods of Chunder and simply don't eat large meals immediately before, or during, exercise.