Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Frame/component color (neon?)

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 06-27-19, 05:37 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts

Just idea gathering. Thinking on a winter bike idea, including frame/component color.

Would you consider something purposely bright, even garish, to contrast from possible snow or increased hours of darkness?

I'd be building from scratch (well, from a frame I like, I mean), changing quite a few parts and hopefully repainting the frame. Might as well keep it mind as I build. Thanks for any thought on it.
Old 06-28-19, 07:13 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
There are reflective paints now available for the consumer. Take any bike down to its frame and DIY it. If that's what you're thinking to do...
Old 06-28-19, 11:59 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Halo is a powder coat that is reflective , but In daylight Its probably grey .

so you could over spray it in a transparent color ,

essentially non silver reflective tape .. is a color layer over the background..

Old 07-01-19, 12:44 PM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Philphine
Just idea gathering. Thinking on a winter bike idea, including frame/component color.

Would you consider something purposely bright, even garish, to contrast from possible snow or increased hours of darkness?

I'd be building from scratch (well, from a frame I like, I mean), changing quite a few parts and hopefully repainting the frame. Might as well keep it mind as I build. Thanks for any thought on it.
It couldn't hurt, but are bike lights like Monkeyelectric cheaper / faster to install?
Old 07-04-19, 01:49 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Don't get me wrong - I think neon bikes are rad!

In terms of visibility, my impression is that a neon frame is only marginally helpful. Hi-visibility and reflective clothing as well as good lighting systems are going to be much more effective ways to promote visibility.
Old 07-04-19, 02:09 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Neon is for daytime, it works by being fluorescent which requires the UV component of sunlight. And neon clothes are a much bigger patch than bike parts.

Blinky lights and reflective for night.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-08-19, 02:49 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 254 Posts
RUST-OLEUM Professional High Performance ENAMEL 15oz(425g) spray paint can COLOR CODE 7544 SAFETY YELLOW
The UPC CODE 0 2006675438 9 RUSTOLEUM tel number 1-800-481-4785

Color: 7544 SAFETY YELLOW

I came about using this color because I acquired a 1972 Collegiate women's-step through in KOOL LEMON (heck, that's what Schwinn called it).
In an effort to find the color that most closely matched the best portion of the now forty year old Schwinn five speed, I rolled the '72 Collegiate into both my local Home Depot and my local LOWES, as they are across the street from each other. I rolled the bike into the paint section and proceeded to examine the OFF THE SHELF spray paint colors. The folks working in the store loved seeing the bike and a couple of people insisted on riding it inside the store this was around the end of Jan which is traditionally the only COLD part of Winter here, (lows in the 20's F)....we never get snow....maybe a dusting every seven years......
..........Anyway after spending about a half an hour in each store, comparing off the shelf paints, I chose this 7544 SAFETY YELLOW.
We didn't choose this color blindly.................I say we because the fellows in the store were glad to help.................spraying the paint on to scrap materials like boxes and old containers to see the actual color when sprayed. We determined that this 7544 SAFETY YELLOW is both extremely bright and very pleasant to look at, or so we thought, would look great on a bicycle frame, forks, and chain guard. The 7544 SAFETY YELLOW did match certain large portions of the now forty year old 1972 Schwinn but heck I couldn't say exactly that it would perfectly match the paint as done in the factory in 1972.
THE PAINT PROJECT OF THE COLLEGIATE TURNED OUT GREAT, THE COLOR EXCEEDED ALL EXPECTATIONS, ESPECIALLY FROM SOMETHING SO INEXPENSIVE. Yes, I know that I could have had the auto paint store shoot the chainguard or lower bottom bracket with the computer scanner for a custom match.............HD & Lowes can do the same thing for house paint and they probably could for an oil base paint too. The thing is that I didn't want to spend $100 or more to paint it.
Anyway after many years, the 7544 SAFETY YELLOW paint looks incredibly vibrant...............think of that 1970's era smiley face thingy that was everywhere.

One of my fellow riders, even painted an old road bike this exact color because it is bright but still very pleasant when on an older steel framed road bike. I can't say how it might look on something with enormous frame tubing because I haven't seen it but I imagine it might overwhelm some folks.

I'm not 100% sure but I think that same 7544 SAFETY YELLOW paint color might be available in an off the shelf GALLON sized can from RUST-OLEUM, available at Home Depot/LOWES..............................but I don't know the specifics that you'd have to follow to thin it to use it in something like one of those Electric Airless paint sprayers from the likes of Harbour Freight etc..................................The RATTLE CANs worked well enough for me but it was an old Collegiate, and you may be dealing with a much higher-end bicycle.
THIS IS A GOOD COLOR TO MAKE THE BICYCLE FRAME MOST VISIBLE TO AUTOMOBILES FROM A SIGNIFICANT DISTANCE AWAY.
Other riders commented on that and generally liked the color, bright but not obnoxious.
When I said it makes it visible to automobiles...............think bicycle rider at top of the capital letter T going west and the automobile driver at the bottom of the capital letter T going north bound.......................this YELLOW is great....................what you don't want is anything that will blend into the road and or background

Some type of high visibility ORANGE color ( think something like the Clemson Tigers football helmet color....) would be excellent too.

A high gloss Orange-ish RED..................less like StopSIGN / Coca-Cola Red and more of a lighter brighter orangy RED!! That should be excellent too.