Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Giant Fastroad SL Questions

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 07-17-19, 10:45 AM
WarrenC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I am thinking of getting one of these bikes as a replacement for my 2013 Trek 8.4 DS. I find the reach on the Trek too far for me (17"), causing hand numbing and neck/shoulder soreness, and these are spec'd out at 15.3 ". The Giant is also more geared for road, which I've discovered over the last 6 years, I spend 90% of my time on. The DS I feel leans more toward offroad. Unfortunately, none of the bike shops near me carry this model, so I was hoping someonce can give me their take on the bike. How comfortable is the bike, are your sitting on a fairly upright position? Would it be ok for the occasional dirt/gravel trail? How does it work for city use, fairly agile? I'd appreciate any and all comments. Also, they have two different models that vary in price of about $400cdn. I don't understand the differences in components, so what are you getting for extra cash? Thank you.
Old 07-20-19, 06:54 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
The 2020 models are here in some markets, and I would recommend them over the 2919 models.

The 2020 top model has a carbon seatpost for added comfort as well as Shimano 105 with a nice Praxis crankset.

The 2020 lower model has an alloy seatpost with Sora components and an FSA crankset.

If you are outside of North America you could also look at the Merida Speeder. The Speeder 500 is a couple of hundrd dollars more than the top Fastroad model, but featues a round seatpost instead of the Giant D shaped post and Ultegra components.

Both of them are designed for paved paths and roads. Unless it is very smooth fine gravel in dry conditions, you may struggle offroad.
Old 07-24-19, 05:50 PM
WarrenC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
the 2020 is not available yet in Canada
Old 07-24-19, 05:56 PM
PDKL45

Here's the Australian site:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/bikes/on-road/fitness

They just went up on the South Korean site and I was interested to see that they've got the same colorways (the alloy versions; the higher carbon model is different) in both markets, Korea and Australia, when they commonly have different colors in the upper level bike. The new models shouldn't be far away in Canada, they're being rolled out around the world this month.

I'm also thinking very hard about either the Giant Fastroad SL 1, the gray bike with red lettering, or a Merida Speeder 500 (or 900). The big selling point for me with the Giant is the Praxis crankset, which you could quickly and easily switch to a 38, 40 or 42t 1x chainring set up. Add to that a Sunrace 11-42 or even an 11-46, if you're not obsessed with cadence and you would have a good climbing gear. It has the D-shaped seatpost, though, which can only be replaced through Giant (Fastroad SL 1 has a carbon post, while the SL 2 has an alloy post; the carbon model would be much more preferable for reduced road chatter impacting your spine).

The Merida Speeder 500 is about US $200 more expensive, but comes with Ultegra components (and an FSA crankset...) as well as a round 31.6 mm carbon seatpost that is readily replaceble with any round seatpost.

I'm vaguely considering the Specialized Sirrus Elite Carbon, which has a carbon frame for about the same price as the Merida 500, but there's something about it that just doesn't work for me. Maybe it's the Tiagra stuff? I have a fairly irrational dislike of Tiagra 4700.

A dark horse would be the Sonder Camino Al frameset or Apex 1 model, but that would require shipping, customs duties etc.

We'll see I guess. I still have to commit to selling my current bike before I can get a replacement.

Last edited by PDKL45; 07-24-19 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-25-19, 06:45 AM
Rick53

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by PDKL45
Here's the Australian site:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/bikes/on-road/fitness

They just went up on the South Korean site and I was interested to see that they've got the same colorways (the alloy versions; the higher carbon model is different) in both markets, Korea and Australia, when they commonly have different colors in the upper level bike. The new models shouldn't be far away in Canada, they're being rolled out around the world this month.

I'm also thinking very hard about either the Giant Fastroad SL 1, the gray bike with red lettering, or a Merida Speeder 500 (or 900). The big selling point for me with the Giant is the Praxis crankset, which you could quickly and easily switch to a 38, 40 or 42t 1x chainring set up. Add to that a Sunrace 11-42 or even an 11-46, if you're not obsessed with cadence and you would have a good climbing gear. It has the D-shaped seatpost, though, which can only be replaced through Giant (Fastroad SL 1 has a carbon post, while the SL 2 has an alloy post; the carbon model would be much more preferable for reduced road chatter impacting your spine).

The Merida Speeder 500 is about US $200 more expensive, but comes with Ultegra components (and an FSA crankset...) as well as a round 31.6 mm carbon seatpost that is readily replaceble with any round seatpost.

I'm vaguely considering the Specialized Sirrus Elite Carbon, which has a carbon frame for about the same price as the Merida 500, but there's something about it that just doesn't work for me. Maybe it's the Tiagra stuff? I have a fairly irrational dislike of Tiagra 4700.

A dark horse would be the Sonder Camino Al frameset or Apex 1 model, but that would require shipping, customs duties etc.

We'll see I guess. I still have to commit to selling my current bike before I can get a replacement.
Are thee more of a Value then the Trek Line? Here in the states they aren't even listed : The DS reach is good for me
Old 07-25-19, 07:33 AM
PDKL45

The Trek FX Sport 4 looks okay, but it's about 1 kilogram heavier than the Merida 500, comes with Tiagra vs. Ultegra and is only $100 cheaper. I don't think you guys in the US can get Merida bikes, they own 49% of Specialized and make Specialized frames in Taiwan, so I guess there's a non-compete clause. They're designed in Germany and their main market is Europe; like Giant they offer a lot of bike for the money.
Old 07-25-19, 07:39 AM
Rick53

The Trek FX Sport 4 looks okay, but it's about 1 kilogram heavier than the Merida 500, comes with Tiagra vs. Ultegra and is only $100 cheaper. I don't think you guys in the US can get Merida bikes, they own 49% of Specialized and make Specialized frames in Taiwan, so I guess there's a non-compete clause. They're designed in Germany and their main market is Europe; like Giant they offer a lot of bike for the money.
Are you saying a Giant for 1400.00 (for example) is more Bike per $$$ then a Trek in the same Price range? I've always been under teh impression that biking is far more prevalent in Eastern Nations then it is in the West : Over here maybe 20% bike But 95% own and Shoot their Guns : Plus not all But a vast Majority of America's Youth are getting Fat and Lazy. Despite the Trump Surge the country is in Trouble :
Old 07-25-19, 08:13 AM
PDKL45

I don't know that the Giant is always better value, but in my opinion, the 2020 Giant Fastroad SL 1 offers better value than the 2020 Trek FX 4 at the $1,400 point right now.

It has an upgrade to Shimano 105 with a nice Praxis crankset and a decent looking wheelset. I would have to look at the Trek's wheelset again, but the 2020 Fastroad SL 1 is particularly nice. Giant have upgraded it to 105 from the Tiagra of the 2019 model for a tiny price increase that's in line with normal inflation.
Old 07-25-19, 09:13 AM
Rick53

I don't know that the Giant is always better value, but in my opinion, the 2020 Giant Fastroad SL 1 offers better value than the 2020 Trek FX 4 at the $1,400 point right now.

It has an upgrade to Shimano 105 with a nice Praxis crankset and a decent looking wheelset. I would have to look at the Trek's wheelset again, but the 2020 Fastroad SL 1 is particularly nice. Giant have upgraded it to 105 from the Tiagra of the 2019 model for a tiny price increase that's in line with normal inflation.
The Giiant isn't available in the USA at the moment : The Trek FX 4 is $1199.00 here Fastroad SL 1 is $1049.00 here : Wonder when we'll see it here?

Old 07-25-19, 10:55 AM
Rick53

Guess I have to take the time to do a bit more research. I see videos that say 3 Sprocket drives at the crank are better Others say 2 > Guess it depends what I'm going to do riding wise. I purchased a Dual Sport 2 Strictly on Looks : Like it but can see it's not the best for the level of rides I've already done. Plus the thing seems to loose adjustment quick.
Old 07-25-19, 11:05 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick53
Guess I have to take the time to do a bit more research. I see videos that say 3 Sprocket drives at the crank are better Others say 2 > Guess it depends what I'm going to do riding wise.
I think it's dependent upon a number of factors, including where you're riding and personal preference. Both systems have pros and cons. I like and use 3x systems myself, but neither is inherently right or wrong, or better or worse.
Old 07-25-19, 11:20 AM
Rick53

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I think it's dependent upon a number of factors, including where you're riding and personal preference. Both systems have pros and cons. I like and use 3x systems myself, but neither is inherently right or wrong, or better or worse.
Well as stated I have a 2019 Dual Sport 2 That I am finding is slower then the FX my friends are riding : Plus anywhere I would go the Shock isn't needed. I've done the 40 years of Dirt Biking : I should have bought the FX or something on that order to begin with : Since the 2020's aren't even readily available yet : It might be wise to just throw some smaller tires on the DS 2 and see if My speed increases : That option gives me some time to research and buy what will suit me next time I buy. That's the frugal approach. LOL
Old 07-25-19, 05:47 PM
PDKL45

The 2020 Giant Fastroad Advanced is up on the US website now, and the SL should be up in a week or so, they've been rolling their 2020 range out gradually around the world. I have actually paid attention to it this year, so it's interesting to see how they roll out certain models first in certain markets. Australia had 2020 models up first, but a lot of companies use Australia as a testing ground before they put the product on the US market. If you're really keen on a Giant Fastroad, they should be hitting shops very soon and shop staff will probably know the approximate date.

The compare feature on the Giant Website is really useful to show you how the bike's changed:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/co...gc@1293-gc@730

Last edited by PDKL45; 07-26-19 at 12:04 AM.