Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Stages power meter for Shimano 105 r7000

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-19, 08:00 PM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts

What is your guys' thoughts? The product seems pretty new so I haven't been able to find any review material. I narrowed it down to this PM because I want to retain the use of my SPD-SL pedals.
Old 07-21-19, 09:48 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Nothing wrong with Stages. One of the most popular meters out there, I'm sure in part due to pricepoint. The r7000 enjoys being yet another Hollowtech II crank, so if you run fast and loose with your aesthetics, you can fit any Stages-equipped Shimano NDS arm of the same length as your DS and it will fit. I ran an NDS DuraAce 7900 Stages arm on a CX70 cross crankset for over a year. The only person who noticed was me.

Pretty much ignore anyone who says anything like "get double sided power or don't bother." I've had double-side meters on both bikes for years, and all I've learned is that my left leg does 2-3% more work than my right. No other benefit. Single sided is fine.
Old 07-21-19, 11:21 PM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have two, an 6800 arm and a more recent 8000 arm. Both work great and I personally have never had either one drop signal to my Edge 520. In fact each arm pairs right up depending on which bike, no fiddling. Battery is super easy to change and mine last approx a year. Can’t imagine the 7000 is any different. Same meter just milled into the different arms and shimano is pretty consistent. I am really amazed at how close each is to the other arm. I like the fact the actual meter is about the same size as the magnet less sensors Garmin has for cadence and had those prior.
I’m nobody, don’t race or anything just looking to ride better and faster so works great for me. Also use a HR meter so I’m kind of a data junkie.
Old 07-22-19, 12:27 AM
smarkinson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Don't get dual sided Shimano (although I don't think the Stages r7000 comes in dual sided). The asymetry of the drive side crank apparently makes it near impossible to produce a crank based power meter that gives useful data.

Old 07-22-19, 02:30 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,131 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Pretty much ignore anyone who says anything like "get double sided power or don't bother." I've had double-side meters on both bikes for years, and all I've learned is that my left leg does 2-3% more work than my right. No other benefit. Single sided is fine.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...-meters-330322
Old 07-22-19, 09:47 PM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Nothing wrong with Stages. One of the most popular meters out there, I'm sure in part due to pricepoint. The r7000 enjoys being yet another Hollowtech II crank, so if you run fast and loose with your aesthetics, you can fit any Stages-equipped Shimano NDS arm of the same length as your DS and it will fit. I ran an NDS DuraAce 7900 Stages arm on a CX70 cross crankset for over a year. The only person who noticed was me.

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling any "hollowtech ii" crank arm would work. Does that mean I can use the older generation 5800 arm too? I noticed that model is on clearance, but the reviews have been less than positive...then again, reviews on most PMs aren't positive.