Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

planet in peril...really?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

planet in peril...really?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-07, 12:18 AM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Actually Marx had a pretty good handle on the problem--it was his attempt at a solution that sucked. Anyhoo, thank goodness that there are still a few of you old Cold Warriors around fighting communism. Thank you for your service, sir.
If pointing out that Marxism doesn't work makes one a "Cold Warrior" then I think you just posted your way into the club, mate.
Old 12-31-07, 12:52 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Six jours
If pointing out that Marxism doesn't work makes one a "Cold Warrior" then I think you just posted your way into the club, mate.
Except that I'm far from thinking that capitalism, as practiced in today's global economy, works any better.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-31-07, 01:23 AM
El Julioso
Bikes are good

Bikes: 2000 Schwinn Moab 1, heavily modified

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So it's not the civilized white people who are causing overpopulation, it's all the icky yellow, brown, and black people. Got it.
Uh... right. Actually, I advocate spreading wealth-generating infrastructure and education to impoverished nations so that their reproductive rates (and other problems) are likewise brought under control... a concept which someone else already explained in this thread. Somehow, I get the impression that you don't follow that philosophy. But apparently I'm the racist one... a man who is only partially white... with lots of black and asian friends.

No, they materialized just fine. Then a bunch of people died, and rational folks realized that Marxism might not be such a great idea after all. I understand, btw, that Marx is making something of a comeback among the young, earnest white folks on this continent. I guess I've now joined the generation that wonders what this world is coming to.
So now I'm not only racist, but a Marxist to boot! Oh my, I'd better revoke my liberal party membership immediately! Who needs that when I can go out and join the communist party?

The top 1% of wage earners in the U.S. (which conveniently averages right around one million dollars per year) pay about 35% of the total income taxes each year. So those evil rich guys are contributing $350,000 -- each -- to building hospitals, bridges, and guns with which to kill those icky foreigners you mentioned earlier.
1) Let me guess: no sources to support this?
2) As Roody pointed out, even if this is the case, the contribution of 35% of total income tax by a demographic which owns far more than 35% of the wealth doesn't mean a lot.
3) But you've dodged the question. The question wasn't who contributes the most federal income tax - in fact income tax wasn't even mentioned - the question related to Leisesturm's original assertion that the rich exploit the poor. I'll ask again, in simpler terms: if you don't believe that the work of the poor both enriches and maintains the riches of the wealthy, then how do the wealthy get wealthy and stay that way?

And so far you've contributed...?
You should ask yourself that question. I don't feel the need to resort to ad hominem, unsupportable assertions and mockery in every single post I make - in fact I've never read one post from you which didn't contain one or all of the above.
Old 12-31-07, 01:25 AM
El Julioso
Bikes are good

Bikes: 2000 Schwinn Moab 1, heavily modified

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Except that I'm far from thinking that capitalism, as practiced in today's global economy, works any better.
Cheers to that. It just takes longer for the majority of people to realize its shortcomings...
Old 12-31-07, 02:53 AM
tpreitzel

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If planet, Earth, is in peril, it's NOT due to man's activities. The primary cause of current warming is solar activity which isn't fully understood. Yes, man's activities impact the earth, but that impact is negligible compared to other factors such as the sun. Don't be a patsy for the hype. If man is doomed, man is doomed. Even with the technological extensions available to humanity, man doesn't have nearly the control that he thinks he does.
Old 12-31-07, 07:36 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by tpreitzel
If planet, Earth, is in peril, it's NOT due to man's activities. The primary cause of current warming is solar activity which isn't fully understood. Yes, man's activities impact the earth, but that impact is negligible compared to other factors such as the sun. Don't be a patsy for the hype. If man is doomed, man is doomed. Even with the technological extensions available to humanity, man doesn't have nearly the control that he thinks he does.
Oh, please. Where do do you get your information, anyways? The debate is over, and the climate scientists are virtually unanimous in stating that man's activities are changing the climate.
Old 12-31-07, 10:49 AM
riverrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To quote Instapundit Glenn Reynolds..."I'll believe it's a crisis when the people who say it's a crisis start acting like it's a crisis."
Old 12-31-07, 10:50 AM
riverrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are not knowledgeable about the subject if you think the debate is over. It's not.
Old 12-31-07, 10:58 AM
Doug5150

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by acorn54
i don't understand if we need to save the planet by less auto use and it is common knowledge why do 98% of people in this country still drive cars? is it that they don't care if the planet dies?
It's because most bicycle parts are made in China--which is now the biggest polluter in the world, even though most people there don't own cars.

Oh, wait..... what was the question?
~
Old 12-31-07, 11:00 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Originally Posted by riverrider
You are not knowledgeable about the subject if you think the debate is over. It's not.
OK, among climate scientists, the debate is over and among political pundits it is not. I assume that this is what you meant .
Old 12-31-07, 11:04 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by ericy
Oh, please. Where do do you get your information, anyways? The debate is over, and the climate scientists are virtually unanimous in stating that man's activities are changing the climate.
Like I said earlier, it's time to ignore these last few hopeless holdouts. They have missed the Reality Express, so just smile and wave back at them as the train pulls out from the station.

Every presidential candidate from both parties (AFAIK) concedes that anthropogenic warming is a fact. And of course the scientists have known this theoretically since 1849, and with increasing empirical evidence since 1959, when atmospheric monitoring began at the observatory in Mauna Loa.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-31-07, 11:18 AM
riverrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have the time to look up all of the links to climate scientist who say that man is not causing global warming all by himself but if you bother, there are many. Not nearly all climate scientist agree. The best and most likely reason is the sun is getting hotter, which is not a disputable fact. The sun goes through cycles and this is one of the hot ones. I am by far not a cliimate scientist but if one believes in global warming as caused by man and is not willing to consider opposing facts then that is very closed minded. Have you seen the figures on the CO2 released by countries that have signed the Kyoto treaty and the US (which has not and will not ratify this so-called treaty)? Again, I don't have the links, but the US is releasing CO2 at a increasing rate but at a much slower increasing rate than the countries that HAVE signed the treaty.
Old 12-31-07, 12:24 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by riverrider
I don't have the time to look up all of the links to climate scientist who say that man is not causing global warming all by himself but if you bother, there are many. Not nearly all climate scientist agree. The best and most likely reason is the sun is getting hotter, which is not a disputable fact. The sun goes through cycles and this is one of the hot ones. I am by far not a cliimate scientist but if one believes in global warming as caused by man and is not willing to consider opposing facts then that is very closed minded. Have you seen the figures on the CO2 released by countries that have signed the Kyoto treaty and the US (which has not and will not ratify this so-called treaty)? Again, I don't have the links, but the US is releasing CO2 at a increasing rate but at a much slower increasing rate than the countries that HAVE signed the treaty.
Everything you said here is wrong, but I didn't have time to look up the links.

You can start with realclimate.org, the IPCC or the Federal government to learn what real climate scientists (as opposed to your fictional ones) have to say on the topic.

Or you can live on in blissful ignorance. I really don't care. The train has left the station, and you ain't on it.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-31-07, 02:36 PM
andmalc

Bikes: Wabi Classic fixed, Raleigh Sojourn, Xootr Swift folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Various studies of C02 concentration in ice pack show levels at their highest in 600-800,000 years. Furthermore, the amount of the increase in the last 17 years has taken no less than a thousand years during any previous period.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/5314592.stm

Some people like the poster above believe the cause of warming is solar activity. Are they saying this just happened to occur during an unprecedented period of global industrialization?
Old 12-31-07, 03:34 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by andmalc
Some people like the poster above believe the cause of warming is solar activity. Are they saying this just happened to occur during an unprecedented period of global industrialization?
No, they're saying it's the other way around. The solar flares caused the industrial activity, especially when the sun is in Aquarius and Mercury's aligned with Mars.

Of course, it actually is true that solar activity causes changes in the earth's climate, and even more, irregularities in Earth's orbit change our climate also. It's a little scary to think about the consequences if these factors cause warming at the same time that CO2 is increasing. Triple whammy warming?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-31-07, 04:52 PM
Six jours

I don't have the time to look up all of the links to climate scientist who say that man is not causing global warming all by himself but if you bother, there are many.
It's already been done, and it was soundly ignored by the true believers. As anyone who's argued Darwinism with a born-again can tell you, faith is a bulletproof defense against fact.
Old 12-31-07, 05:40 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

It's already been done, and it was soundly ignored by the true believers. As anyone who's argued Darwinism with a born-again can tell you, faith is a bulletproof defense against fact.
Of course, to date nobody has cited an empirical study refuting anthropogenic warming, apparently because no such studies exist.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-01-08, 01:36 AM
heywood

Bikes: 2013 Brodie Section 8 , 2014 Easy Motion Neo City e-bike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey, wasn't the hole in the Ozone layer supposed to kill us all by now?

What ever happened to bird flue? We've still got a disaster recovery procedure on that at work that we paid some high priced consultant to run up for us..talk about a waste of money..guess that's the answere, follow the money.
Old 01-01-08, 02:01 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by heywood
Hey, wasn't the hole in the Ozone layer supposed to kill us all by now?

What ever happened to bird flue? We've still got a disaster recovery procedure on that at work that we paid some high priced consultant to run up for us..talk about a waste of money..guess that's the answere, follow the money
The hole in the ozone is still there. It's stabilized because we quit using CFCs and it will start shrinking soon. And the world economy wasn't destroyed by the CFC ban as so many hayseeds who don't believe in science predicted.

Bird flu is still there too. People still die from it, and it sometimes spreads from person to person. There have been many flu pandemics in the past and it's pretty foolhardy to believe that it won't ever happen again.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-01-08, 01:13 PM
Six jours

Of course, to date nobody has cited an empirical study refuting anthropogenic warming, apparently because no such studies exist.
“The observed pattern of warming, comparing surface and atmospheric temperature trends, does not show the characteristic fingerprint associated with greenhouse warming. The inescapable conclusion is that the human contribution is not significant and that observed increases in carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases make only a negligible contribution to climate warming."

https://icecap.us/images/uploads/DOUGLASPAPER.pdf

That's just the latest such study of which I am aware. Other research and "non-consensus" opinion is widely available:

https://www.co2science.org/scripts/CO...V10/N51/C1.jsp

https://www.texaspolicy.com/pdf/2007-...ing-singer.pdf

https://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=164002

https://forecastingprinciples.com/Pub...armAudit31.pdf

https://downloads.heartland.org/21977.pdf

https://www.his.com/~sepp/Archive/New...s-Tennekes.htm

https://www.zenit.org/article-19481?l=english

https://en.rian.ru/russia/20070115/59078992.html

https://www.springerlink.com/content/t341350850360302/

https://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2006AM/fin...act_108164.htm

And so on and so forth.

BTW, I've posted most of these before, and relatively recently. They were ignored, as I fully expect them to be this time as well. I suppose I should start a pool as to how long it will take before somebody argues that "nobody has cited" any of this, again.
Old 01-01-08, 02:22 PM
ericy
Señor Member

“The observed pattern of warming, comparing surface and atmospheric temperature trends, does not show the characteristic fingerprint associated with greenhouse warming. The inescapable conclusion is that the human contribution is not significant and that observed increases in carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases make only a negligible contribution to climate warming."

That's just the latest such study of which I am aware. Other research and "non-consensus" opinion is widely available:
Most of these are trying to call into question the accuracy of the computer models, but that is only a part of the evidence for global climate change.

I looked at the first paper, and the people at realclimate are unimpressed:

https://www.realclimate.org/index.php...ends/#more-509

I glanced through some of the others - it wasn't clear if any of them were actually written by climatologists or not. Most appeared to be "not".

And for that matter, one contrarian paper doesn't suddenly mean that there isn't consensus. Consensus doesn't mean 100% agreement - there undoubtedly are a handful of deniers out there trying to prove their theories, but until they manage to convince the rest of the climatologists, you can't claim that this is a anything approaching a mainstream view.
Old 01-01-08, 03:02 PM
ChipSeal
www.chipsea.blogspot.com

Bikes: Giant OCR C0 road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ericy
Most of these are trying to call into question the accuracy of the computer models, but that is only a part of the evidence for global climate change.

https://www.realclimate.org/index.php...ends/#more-509

I glanced through some of the others - it wasn't clear if any of them were actually written by climatologists or not. Most appeared to be "not".

And for that matter, one contrarian paper doesn't suddenly mean that there isn't consensus. Consensus doesn't mean 100% agreement - there undoubtedly are a handful of deniers out there trying to prove their theories, but until they manage to convince the rest of the climatologists, you can't claim that this is a anything approaching a mainstream view.
The computer models are the ENTIRE basis for the doomsday scenarios that are so hysterically trumpeted in order to bulldoze over any resistance to the GW agenda. They are the centerpiece and substance of GW. In every way that computer models can be tested for accurately reflecting reality, they fail! If you believe that they are simply incidental to the whole GW edifice, you won't mind if we ignore modeling predictions from now on, I suppose!

Dismissing articles out of hand if they are not produced by climatologists is rich! How many of your precious consensus of scientists are climatologists? All of them? Until you only count climatologists in your "consensus" tripe don't be dismissing non-climatologist work categorically.

Blather on about consensus all you want, and define it as you wish. The trouble is, facts are stubborn things, and truth is unaffected by consensus.
Old 01-01-08, 03:10 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
And as for claims that the wealthy aren't paying their fair share, the top 1% pay 35% of the nation's federal income tax, the top 10% pay 66%, the top 25% pay 84%, and the top 50% pay nearly the whole bill; something like 97%. So it kind of looks like the twenty-something whiners are getting a free pass on the backs of those evil capitalists they're whining about.
Please, please, stop. You are embarrassing yourself! You and I have both read of the tax returns filed by rich corporations and individuals that needed to be brought in on forklifts. Those efficient accountants you mentioned see to it that by the time the percentages are computed the Federal Government actually finds itself owing the rich!

H
Old 01-01-08, 03:12 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

[....]

And so on and so forth.

BTW, I've posted most of these before, and relatively recently. They were ignored, as I fully expect them to be this time as well. I suppose I should start a pool as to how long it will take before somebody argues that "nobody has cited" any of this, again
Thanks for reposting the links. I looked at the first one, since that's the new one. I found a rebuttal by a climate scientist online. I don't understand the science well enough to evaluate the debate, but the comments from other climate scientists were derogatory of the paper you linked to. For example:

# Richard Ordway Says:
12 December 2007 at 11:02 PM

Joe says: “Anyone want to give me a laymen version?”

Hmmmm, a short answer might look like this:

A new study (that is already full of fatal omissions and inaccuracies) has just come out in a legitimate peer-reviewed journal (Inernational Journal of climatology).

Remember, a study needs at least two things to really be important scientifically:

1. To come out in a legitimate peer-reviewed journal (this is true with this study).

2. This same study has to stand up under world-wide peer-review scrutiny for accuracy (This study has already failed this criteria).

[....]

Anyway, here are some fatal problems with the study as I understand them that invalidate this study:

1. Even if the study were right…(which it is not) mainstream scientists use *three* methods to predict a global warming trend…not just climate computer models (which stand up extremely well for general projections by the way) under world-wide scrutiny…and have for all intents and purposes already correctly predicted the future-(Hansen 1988 in front of Congress and Pinatubo).

Now the three scientific methods for predicting the general future warming trend is:

1. Paleoclimate reconstructions which show that there is a direct correlation between carbon dioxide increasing and the warming that follows.

2. Curent energy imbalance situation between the energy coming in at the top of the atmosphere (about 243 watts per square meter WM2) and fewer watts/M2 now leaving due mostly to the driving force of CO2…ergo the Earth has to heat up.

3. Thirdly, climate computer simulations that have been tested against actual records before they actually happened….and were correct.

Now, on to actual problems with the paper:

Any real scientist, ahem, includes error bars in their projections because of possible variables. The study does not include them. If it did, or they were honest enough to, they would fit the real-life records (enough to overlap the two records) and be a non issue.

Secondly, this study is dishonest and does not show all the evidence available (v1.3 and V1.4)…boing…this paper has just failed peer-review. Science is an *open* process and you just don’t cherry pick or real scienists will correctly invalidate your results.

Third, with this omitted data, the computer models agree with the actual data (enough for it to be a non-issue).

Fourthly, the study does not honestly work out the error bars for the models themselves by giving them reasonable uncertainty for accounted-for unknowns such as El Nino (Enso) and other tropical events.

Now however, there are honest unknowns with the models and how they (slightly) mismatch histoical records…but they are accounted for in the big scheme of things…more work needs to be done…but it does not invalidate what the models are saying for general warming trends…unbrella anyone?

In other words, this study is a strawman and the authors know it.
I had to omit a lot of the material, so look to the link if you're interested in context.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-01-08, 03:18 PM
Six jours

A fundamental part, to be sure.

And? If the standard is "cite an empirical study refuting anthropogenic warming that no scientists disagree with" then I'm out of luck. That isn't the way science works, though, no matter how many ideology-addled laypersons think it's like a football game or something. "54-38, anthropogenic warming wins!"

Try glancing through the roles of any climatology group, website, or research team. You'll find that they are made up of very few "climatologists" and very many physisists, mathematicians, geologists, etc. Click on "people" at the realclimate site for an example.

Aside from the point that -- again -- science isn't a democracy where a thing is automatically correct because a majority believe in it, you are moving the goalposts. My post is a response to "Of course, to date nobody has cited an empirical study refuting anthropogenic warming, apparently because no such studies exist."

Last edited by Six jours; 01-01-08 at 03:26 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.