Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Origin of Colnago's Ace of clubs logo

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-16, 12:01 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts

Stumbled upon this link, nothing to confirm the story but found it interesting.
Courtesy of CycleEXIF

Dancelli Lo-Pro | Cycle EXIF

The story of the Italian racing bicycle is convoluted and incestuous, with enough twists and turns to make the Stelvio Pass look like a Roman road in comparison. Michele Dancelli is an Italian racer who is at the center of a fascinating chapter: the origin of Colnago’s ‘Ace of Clubs’ logo.

There are numerous versions of the story, but each mention Dancelli and his 1970 Milan—San Remo victory aboard a Colnago. The win broke a drought for Italy and Ernesto was roused to immortalize the occasion by establishing a new logo for his business.

However, whether he was inspired by the springtime flowers of San Remo, the Dancelli family crest (which bears a clover), or the Gazzetta dello Sport reporter Bruno Raschi and his colorful dissertation of the event, is another discussion.

Logos and brands aside, the strength of these marques is the name of the man behind them. Dancelli frames may be lesser-known, but they are equally as fascinating as a Colnago, if not more.

(Also, dig the Gipiemme Crono parts. By chance if anyone has junk or parts of these pedals, I need a toe clip cage and right side axle shaft cover.)
Old 05-18-16, 12:31 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 272 Posts
I remember finding a similar account a few years back while doing a bit of research on the brand, though I didn't find that site. Plenty to look at on the Dancelli, the seatstay construction is interesting (in a good way).
Old 05-18-16, 03:57 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
Ah, yes. I owned a Dancelli for a while couple of years ago, in Columbus Max. Great looking, pink, nice rider.
Old 05-18-16, 04:55 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I always thought it was because Ernesto was a hawkwind fan embittered about the success of lemmy's ace of spades. He repped the club as opposition.
Old 05-18-16, 06:04 PM
Spaghetti Legs 

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked 3,089 Times in 911 Posts
I read somewhere that it was chosen because it was an easy logo to make. 3 circles and a triangle.
Old 05-18-16, 06:23 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Hmmm, that can only be part of the story.

I have one of the circle of holes Colnago Super bikes (1968 or 1969?).

Mine came with clover stencils (no decals, as far as I can tell). But, I didn't buy it until 1982, and I don't have the history of the bike before I purchased it, or if I was told, I don't remember. So, there is some question whether it might have had a factory repaint. Bike purchased used in Parma, Italy.

Anyway, while it had the circle of holes on the bottom bracket, it also has clovers on the main lugs.

So, while Colnago may have chosen to redesign their stencils and decals after 1970, the clover on the lugs would have pre-dated that redesign.
Old 05-18-16, 06:37 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Hmmm, that can only be part of the story.

I have one of the circle of holes Colnago Super bikes (1968 or 1969?).

Mine came with clover stencils (no decals, as far as I can tell). But, I didn't buy it until 1982, and I don't have the history of the bike before I purchased it, or if I was told, I don't remember. So, there is some question whether it might have had a factory repaint. Bike purchased used in Parma, Italy.

Anyway, while it had the circle of holes on the bottom bracket, it also has clovers on the main lugs.

So, while Colnago may have chosen to redesign their stencils and decals after 1970, the clover on the lugs would have pre-dated that redesign.
I too have one of the bikes prior to the Club cutout in the bottom bracket, the "ring of holes" with a center hole of the same size. Most likely from '68-'69… but it does have in each lug a club like cutout.
The shape of the down tube lug club is different than say a '72 and onward as the lug set is different, less surface area to work with. With this example and others I have seen, there must be more to the story than just the Milan-San Remo victory. The graphics package was soon to change and the club featured more prominently but they were used before.