Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Help!✌🏼️💦❤️ What size tires should I get?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 10-16-16, 11:43 PM
codyloganh3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I want to buy this fixie; https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0085HT7Y0#buybox

I am really short; 4'11" and 5' with shoes on. Would the 49 centimeter size work? If I chose to change tires after I boight the Nike, what tires should I buy?
Old 10-17-16, 10:16 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 521 Posts
There are better looking, better performing, and just plain better fixies than the one you have chosen. I wouldn't buy it if you were paying for it. For one thing, if a FG/SS bike must have only one caliper brake, it should be the front one. For another, the BMX style handlebars with the level top tube and road stem just looks 'wrong'. Why would you want to change tires after purchase? Not saying you shouldn't, just curious as to why you would want to. I think I would want to be guided by the size of tire already on the bike. There probably isn't going to be much room to go much bigger (or smaller for that matter) on a Fixie type bicycle. I'm guessing the OEM tire will be around 25mm. I doubt you could go bigger than 28mm. There isn't much sold that is smaller than 25mm. I have heard of 23mm but I have never actually seen one. FWIW.
Old 10-17-16, 11:08 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
At your size, it's kinda borderline whether you should be using a bike with 700C wheels at all - even if you get the XS one. If you insist on buying this bike, you must use tires in the 700C/622 mm diameter category. How wide tires you can use depends on how much clearance there is at fork crown, brake bridge and chain stays. I can't tell from the pic.
I really dislike the way that bike is marketed.
"Spend more time riding than repairing" - that's plain ridiculous. I commute more than 6000 miles on derailer gear bikes and my main commuter gets maybe 5 minutes/week of upkeep.
There was something about "name brand parts" - sure, the names of cheap brands.
Old 10-18-16, 06:38 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
I had one of these bikes, OEM tire is 23mm. Weird thing is that its max pressure is 90psi, and the rims were drilled for schraeder valves. Nothing other than the low peak pressure wrong with the tires, and unless you're quite a bit heavier than me, it'll probably be fine as I didn't have any pinch flats on the bike - one blowout when I overinflated. I'm 165lbs, btw.

If you replace the tires, try going a little wider. I think 28mm would probably fit, but measure your bike. Mine was 58cm, and was probably a little small - I'm on the other side (but not so far as you) of the size curve. I found the bike felt very solid, but hated the upright position in the wind and put some road bars on with some old Shimano Exage brake levers - added a second brake as well.