Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

*Negative* Effects of Loosing Weight

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

*Negative* Effects of Loosing Weight

Old 08-03-18, 01:10 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock71
Large McDonalds strawberry shake= 800 Calories
So, that's nothing, there are 2,000 calories in a large Sonic Triple Chocolate Blast. If you want to be amazed at high calorie contents, just look at all of Sonic's shake and ice cream menu.

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 08-03-18 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-03-18, 02:01 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
You should see some of the calorie counts at the Cheesecake Factory.
Old 08-03-18, 02:30 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
I was in cardiac rehab last spring, and a half dozen of us were glued to the tube while we did our workouts -- tuned to the food network. We were all drooling over a couple of delicious-looking dishes. Then near the end of the show they mentioned the first one was 2,700 calories, and the second almost 3,500 calories.

The cardiac patients revolted. They never had the Food Network on again while I was there.
Old 08-03-18, 06:29 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
You should see some of the calorie counts at the Cheesecake Factory.
That's because like Starbuck's coffee the Cheesecake Factory add in everything but the kitchen sink. Your basic cheesecake alone is surprisingly not that bad.

Old 08-19-18, 08:28 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by raria
Thanks for the advice, but to me and probably others this idea of rewarding oneself with food due to a i) a promotion, ii) big day in the saddle, iii) some other success is what leads you to put on weight.

Some one on this forum has a great saying (I think its @Lazyass) with words to the effect "don't eat you spent calories as a reward". It's of course much more piffy than that but its a great message.
On the contrary, those special occasions or events don't happen everyday; and its not like a celebration is an automatic excuse to gorge yourself. Besides, if you can't take that once in a while special time to reward yourself with a treat, then when?
Old 08-20-18, 06:34 PM
bikingbill

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 26, Brompton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I dropped about 12lbs over the last month or so. Started with my first flu since 2001.

That took 7lbs off fast.

Since then, I've cut way back because I'd like to get to a 36" or 34" waist and break 200lbs.

I lost almost all that weight from my middle. Which is good.
Old 08-20-18, 09:28 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by bikingbill
I dropped about 12lbs over the last month or so. Started with my first flu since 2001.

That took 7lbs off fast.

Since then, I've cut way back because I'd like to get to a 36" or 34" waist and break 200lbs.

I lost almost all that weight from my middle. Which is good.
Weight loss after the flu will rebound in no time flat. If you want that to be a start you will really have to focus on your diet. Sicknesses also burn valuable muscle, so its not all fat.
Old 08-21-18, 02:34 PM
bikingbill

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Weight loss after the flu will rebound in no time flat. If you want that to be a start you will really have to focus on your diet. Sicknesses also burn valuable muscle, so its not all fat.
... and I have.

Took advantage of the "shrunk stomach" and cut daily intake to 1000-1500 calories a day. Most of the 5" off my waist came after the flu.

Going to stay with this as long as it takes.
Old 08-24-18, 01:56 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
I agree about eating out, just don't do it as often if you do it a lot. I used to eat out at places like olive garden or carraba's every lunch and then go to a nicer dinner most nights. That put a huge amount of weight on quickly and I had to really cut back on how much I ate at lunch and how often I went to dinner as I got older and did not have the same metabolism.
I am finding it better to go with a large lunch, an after work workout and a lighter dinner. No food after dinner; that when all my bad choices seem to happen.
Old 08-24-18, 01:59 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
I skimmed a few pages so maybe someone mentioned this: I lost weight off my ass before my stomach. Now my pants keep falling down no matter how tight my belt.
Old 08-24-18, 03:09 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by starkmojo
I skimmed a few pages so maybe someone mentioned this: I lost weight off my ass before my stomach. Now my pants keep falling down no matter how tight my belt.
I have that problem too. I went down a couple pants sizes, so my 42" shorts and pants keep falling down if I don't have a belt on. I really need to go clothes shopping some time.
Old 09-12-18, 01:55 PM
Middleagedspred

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pros and Cons

Pros
  1. I feel fitter. Thanks to commuter cycling, I never completely lost aerobic fitness, but I'm definitely getting fitter and faster.
  2. I can run again. I stopped running because it hurt, partly as a result of weight gain, and partly because I was running too hard. Now some of the weight has come off I'm tentatively starting running at a much lower pace, and so far, so good.
  3. I dropped most sport and fitness activity as I gained weight. Now I'm playing hockey (really badly) again, and loving it.
  4. I took part in a triathlon. Okay it was only a sprint triathlon, but it's inspired me to do more. Now something really ambitious feels achievable.
  5. I'm swimming faster. Which is a surprise, because when I started gaining weight (about eight years ago) I actually improved as a swimmer, in part due to improved buoyancy.
  6. I look better, which is nice for my spouse, and nice for my self esteem.
  7. I don't seem to need as much food as I did.
  8. I have rediscovered old (sports /fitness) goals and a purpose that I had unjustifiably given up on.

Cons
  1. I need a new wardrobe. I have half a dozen suits, a blazer and smart trousers that I wore for work, but even with belts they are all now hanging off of me. I've also put all my jeans and shorts into storage. Shirts are a bit more forgiving, but I'm going to have to use money for new clothes that should be paying for N+1 ;-)
  2. I'm conscious of the calorific content of everything I eat.
  3. I don't get to eat everything I want, and I have to skip the treats. I miss some foods.
  4. I feel the cold. I'm really noticing the cold more than I did, and I'm a bit apprehensive about this coming winter for my bike commute.
  5. The diet and lifestyle changes can require a focus bordering on obsession (at least from my wife's P.O.V.).
Is it worth it? I'd say so. The diet changes are what has really helped, but the lifestyle changes will help me to sustain it.
Old 09-13-18, 10:32 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by Middleagedspred
Cons
I'm conscious of the calorific content of everything I eat.
That's not really a bad thing. If more people were more conscious of how many calories they were eating, we wouldn't have an obesity epidemic in this country.

I feel the cold. I'm really noticing the cold more than I did, and I'm a bit apprehensive about this coming winter for my bike commute..
Yes, one of the first things I noticed with weight loss is getting colder a lot easier. I still think it's freezing in the house, then look at the thermostat and it says 73 degrees. Then the times my wife thinks the house will cool off faster if she puts the thermostat down to 65, then forgets about it and lets it run until the house is at 70 degrees, I really freeze.
Old 09-13-18, 01:47 PM
Middleagedspred

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
That's not really a bad thing. If more people were more conscious of how many calories they were eating, we wouldn't have an obesity epidemic in this country..
You're right, but it does tend to take the shine off of enjoying your food.

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Yes, one of the first things I noticed with weight loss is getting colder a lot easier. I still think it's freezing in the house, then look at the thermostat and it says 73 degrees. Then the times my wife thinks the house will cool off faster if she puts the thermostat down to 65, then forgets about it and lets it run until the house is at 70 degrees, I really freeze.
I try to live by the philosophy of "There’s no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes", especially when winter commuting, but when I'm wearing two more layers of clothes than the wife and kids and I'm still feeling chilly, maybe I need to eat a bit more?
Old 09-19-18, 08:05 AM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How do you now view other big people now?.

This is controversial, but yesterday i was in a room of quite large people and I found myself not reacting well.

Normally size doesn't matter to me, its a persons character. But i could not help feel a bit annoyed, sad and frustrated at these people.
Old 09-19-18, 09:36 AM
KraneXL

Only when it encroaches into my sphere or when they complain about weight and you see them eat. Otherwise, I'm ambivalent. When larger people ask me how I manage to stay so lean and I begin to tell them about fasting, and they turn and walk away. Most of them see it as insanity.
Old 09-19-18, 09:54 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 2,510 Posts
This is controversial, but yesterday i was in a room of quite large people and I found myself not reacting well.

Normally size doesn't matter to me, its a persons character. But i could not help feel a bit annoyed, sad and frustrated at these people.
I totally get that. There's a kid at my work ('kid', he's probably like 25), I've seen him add probably 40-50 pounds over the last year. Every time I see him I want to take him aside and give him friendly advice about getting control of his weight while he's still young. At best I could win a grateful friend for life, but at worst I could get in trouble with HR, so I keep my mouth shut.
Old 09-19-18, 10:19 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by RubeRad
I totally get that. There's a kid at my work ('kid', he's probably like 25), I've seen him add probably 40-50 pounds over the last year. Every time I see him I want to take him aside and give him friendly advice about getting control of his weight while he's still young. At best I could win a grateful friend for life, but at worst I could get in trouble with HR, so I keep my mouth shut.
Good decision. At least when you're on the job.
Old 09-19-18, 11:02 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Good decision. At least when you're on the job.
Yeah, we don't work directly together, and we don't even really know each other (besides seeing each other in the halls and maybe knowing each others' names). If we get thrown on a project together we may become more friendly, which could be the basis for a conversation like that.
Old 09-19-18, 11:22 AM
Milton Keynes

It doesn't bother me, unless someone's complaining in some way about being heavy without making efforts to change. Everyone has the ability, they just have to really want it. Unfortunately it seems like most people want to take the easy way and not put in the hard work. When it comes to weight loss, there is no easy way, you have to change your diet and get some exercise.

Though I admit to occasionally watching videos on morbid obesity on Youtube as kind of a motivation to not gain all the weight I lost back. But I can understand the sadness and frustration at people who are morbidly obese to the point of not being able to take care of themselves but they won't quit eating. But that's the life they've chosen and they'll continue on that path unless they finally wake up and make changes. You can only help someone to a certain extent, but if they don't want to change there's no use in trying to help them.
Old 09-19-18, 11:48 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
"Cons
  1. I need a new wardrobe. I have half a dozen suits, a blazer and smart trousers that I wore for work, but even with belts they are all now hanging off of me. I've also put all my jeans and shorts into storage. "
I strongly recommend against keeping your old "fat clothes". They make a very poor safety net. When I became a "serious" cyclist 5 years ago, I dropped 60 lbs in 18 months (starting at 228 lbs. and a 40" waist, down to 168 lbs and a 32-33" waist). After that, I learned how much weight my new cycling lifestyle could "reasonably" maintain in the long run (meaning 10 lbs. of the loss gained back), all the pants > 34", and all the XL shirts were donated to GoodWill. The cost of buying all new fat clothes again is an additional deterrent to gaining all that weight back.
Old 09-19-18, 07:44 PM
KraneXL

Always, include height with weight otherwise it doesn't tell much. At 5'7 200 lbs (overweight), is a lot different than 200 lbs. at 6'2 (average weight).
Old 09-19-18, 08:21 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
As a guy that's 6'2" and 200lbs, I could definitely stand to be about 10lbs lighter. I'm overweight and I know it.
Old 09-19-18, 09:25 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
As a guy that's 6'2" and 200lbs, I could definitely stand to be about 10lbs lighter. I'm overweight and I know it.
Its definitely possible for you to be over-fat, but @ 6'2 you're hardly overweight. Charts vary since some divide into frame size, etc., but generally speaking you're right on the mark.

Old 09-20-18, 04:41 PM
bikingbill

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Today Pic: Still dropping weight after the 'kickstart' of that flu a few months ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.