Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Carbo Loading XXXIX

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-18, 12:15 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
My bikes in current rotation have tires sizes/fitting all over the place

singlespeed roadie has 23s
Pinarello has 25f/28r
Fuji CX rig has 38c high roller knobbies
Santa Cruz Chameleon has 275+ 2.8 INCH tires, run 15f/17r psi on those grippy pillows
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 07-12-18, 06:01 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Well after more than 2500 miles I have replaced and upgraded the bottom bracket from the 105 threaded to the Ultegra threaded. Bottom bracket was creaking, and it felt a little "gritty"
Old 07-12-18, 08:31 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I seem to get around 6000 miles on the BBR60 bottom brackets. They start having play and making noise around 5000 based on my last couple.
Old 07-12-18, 10:16 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by expatbrit
I ran Schwalbe One and Pro One tubeless, and just gave up. Too many flats, and everything covered in sealant. And changing remounting was HUGELY messy.

Very depressing.
Do not judge tubeless, or any tire for that matter, on the behavior of Schwalbe Ones. They are pure race tires, and nothing more. Zero flat protection. The Giant Gavia SL and AC1 tires I've been putting thousands of miles on are much better suited to actual road use.

Originally Posted by jimincalif
I seem to get around 6000 miles on the BBR60 bottom brackets. They start having play and making noise around 5000 based on my last couple.
I think my sole BBR60 is now past 15,000 miles.
Old 07-13-18, 12:43 PM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Do not judge tubeless, or any tire for that matter, on the behavior of Schwalbe Ones. They are pure race tires, and nothing more. Zero flat protection. The Giant Gavia SL and AC1 tires I've been putting thousands of miles on are much better suited to actual road use.
Good to know. I will admit that it wouldn't MATTER what the tyre was for some of my punctures. I did hope they'd stop goatsheads (which are pure evil) but not even that.
Old 07-13-18, 06:36 PM
dagray

I use Maxxis Padrone 700x25 tubeless and love them. The Scwalbe Ones I ran didn't work well at all for me.
Old 07-14-18, 05:03 PM
dagray

got 11 miles ridden in today's heat. I wish there were shade out here. 97 degrees with very low humidity https://www.strava.com/activities/1702948650/overview

New bottom bracket feels nice.
Old 07-14-18, 06:39 PM
expatbrit

Ugh.

I went out for a gentle flat spin to sort out my hip. I’m bad at gentle — I picked the river valley, so one out of two wasn’t too bad.

I have either pushed my geo too far and too fast (getting off the MTB and onto the Defy) or I’ve done something else to my back. Feels like I have popped a rib, so breathing is fun. And I did too much standing climbing a couple of days ago on my busted hip.

Still. The hip feels better after the spin, even if I cranked the speed up higher than I should and did a bit too far. And now Vitamin I, ice, and a beer to try and sort out my back/ribs.
Old 07-17-18, 12:15 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

don't watch too much comedy shows with that bad rib but I'm sure you figured that out by now

flip you stem and wait for the body to adjust before you get to aggressive on the fitting
Old 07-17-18, 10:10 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Flew up to Boise today. It's hot here too. Actually, felt a lot like I was flying into Palmdale, CA... hot, dry, brown with hills in the background.
Old 07-17-18, 11:15 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

rode to the beach today at lunch, it was only 25 degrees cooler than at work...sucked riding back into the heat and humidity but those few miles hiding in the marine layer was sooooo soooo nice.

how are the potatoes in Boise, hopefully not deal either
Old 07-17-18, 11:29 PM
jimincalif

My son, daughter in law and grandson live in the Boise area (Meridian). And my son has recently taken up cycling, I follow him on Strava. My wife wants to move there, but it's freakin' cold in the winter, I'd go crazy.
Old 07-18-18, 07:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
4:15 a.m. alarm today. Bike-train-bike commute to the NJ office. About 8.5 miles of riding. Arrived at 6:54 a.m. Going to be doing this two or three times/week like I did back in the day.
Old 07-18-18, 10:26 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

@indyfabz I wish I could wake up that early to ride a bike, I'm a night owl and hard to change ol habits. What time do you get out of work and do you do extra credit miles? AKA the longer way home
Old 07-18-18, 10:57 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
@indyfabz I wish I could wake up that early to ride a bike, I'm a night owl and hard to change ol habits. What time do you get out of work and do you do extra credit miles? AKA the longer way home
I will start changing at 3:30 and hit the road by 3:45. I only have to be in this office 2 or 3 days/week, so it's not every day. Yesterday I drive because horrible storms were predicted for the afternoon, and they did hit.

This part of NJ is really developed, and there is only one bikeable bridge across the river in this area. Traffic is bad and I would have to ride through the hell hole that is Camden to get to it. As such, I simply ride back to the train. Used to do this commute years ago. I did ride all the way home one afternoon. Not pleasant, and picked a day with a strong headwind.
Old 07-18-18, 03:33 PM
expatbrit

I'm totally there with you. Getting up early would be clever, in the summer. I do not do it.

In other news, I found why the Giant rode sort of trucky -- thorn-proof reinforced inner tubes. Of course, I found these getting a flat, and then as I installed my spare tube, it spat out the valve core. FUN TIMES.

Now, helpfully, I've got Giant wheels, Specialized tubes, and Bontrager tyres. All the stuff that was sitting around from before I crashed.
Old 07-19-18, 10:17 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
So ... Wahoo got me.

Sitting here working, with the Tour on in the home office, and my email pings and there's a special offer from Wahoo. Buy an Elemnt Bolt, get a Wahoo Tickr HRM for free.

Told myself last year, when I hit 25 pounds lost I'd spring for a Bolt. And I hit it last year, but rather than buying a Bolt I waited and instead bought a Wahoo Kickr Snap for last off season.

Yesterday my weight loss hit 38 pounds ... so I felt no guilt for buying it today. And after today's ride I'll be over 1,400 miles (virtual and real) for the year. I don't want to jinx it, but I'm having an amazing season.

And while waiting Wahoo added a red and a yellow Bolt, so I opted for the red to match my bike. I threw in the speed and cadence sensors too ... I'm TOTALLY geeked for it to arrive.
Old 07-19-18, 10:31 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Oh yeah ... I forgot, got back from my ride yesterday and got slammed with work and family stuff, so I didn't even really have time to review my ride til later ...

Didn't know it, but there's a segment on one of the new roads I've been enjoying lately, and went back to check it and it showed I was 1/15 ... and I was like, "I knew I was getting after it, but no way ..."

So I clicked on the segment ... turns out I got the KOM by 2 seconds ... LAST week, not yesterday ... and I had no idea.

My first KOM and I didn't even know it. LOL
Old 07-19-18, 10:59 AM
jimincalif

Originally Posted by ill.clyde

My first KOM and I didn't even know it. LOL
Congrats. I had a couple of KOMs when a new road opened - because I created the segments for it each way!

Had the KOMs about a week, now I'm 12/185 one way and 41/434 in the other direction.
Old 07-19-18, 11:12 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

actually woke up early and did the Swamis A ride, first group ride in over 2 months. fun n fast!! I didn't set the pace but got to the front a couple times in rotation. I was at 290 NP watts before we got to the hills were I got dropped. Hopefully I can make this a habit every Thursday

Old 07-19-18, 11:39 AM
expatbrit

don't watch too much comedy shows with that bad rib but I'm sure you figured that out by now

flip you stem and wait for the body to adjust before you get to aggressive on the fitting
Luckily, I can't laugh with all the damage to my throat. I'm saved!!
Old 07-19-18, 12:13 PM
expatbrit

Well.

Congrats to @ill.clyde on his gadgets and KOM. Great feeling, that one, though my only one ever as far as I know was along a bike path, and that's a dodgy one since it was crossing a few roads.

I love my Wahoo cadence meter and wouldn't be without one, though I'm all Garmin all the way with computers. 520 and then the Vivoactive 3. One of the huge pleasures for me is watching my RHR drop since the accident -- it spiked up while I was in the hospital to the low 80s, and has been working it's way back down to the low 50s (with actual periods where it's well into the mid-low 40s). Especially when I get down to sea-level, it tends to freak out the surgery nurses as they check me in, but I'm not as bad as my little sis who was SO low that they couldn't set sensors on the machines to NOT alarm when she was under...

Got the Defy out and up the Crest last night; first time I've done that road on rim brakes. The top is about 10,500', the base about 7,300' -- there's one small stretch around the base of the ski area that isn't a solid climb up/descent down, but it's about 4,000' of actual climbing on a 27 mile jaunt.. I was pretty happy with how well the new 5800 brakes performed on the way down, and it was nice to get into the drops. I have blatantly ignored the sage and smart advice from @jsigone about re-flipping my stem and the back seems to be doing OK anyway Sadly, I wasn't a lot (2m) quicker on the way up than I was on the MTB, so I can no longer blame the bike -- it's all about the engine. Maybe it's the uber-heavy wheels********** (Need an excuse so it's not me!)

Nice ride, though. Hell of a view from the top, and a nice cafe for a refreshing adult beverage and a mole chicken enchilada with the crew for afterwards.

Tale of the tape here:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1712196087/
Old 07-21-18, 05:16 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Through some sleuthing on Google Maps and creative route plotting inside Strava, I reckon I managed to find (at least nearly) the flattest possible route from my house to the Pacific Ocean. Just 877ft in 73.8 miles. I'm genuinely proud of that. Covered that distance in just a hair under 4 hours on my CX bike, spent the day at the beach with the family (who drove down) and got to ride home in the car. The best kind of ride: one way. Tacked on another 9 miles riding up and down the nearly abandoned boardwalk for half an hour, even set a handful of PRs on PCH.

This morning I did another one-way to meet my wife at the hairdresser's and go out to lunch-- after 75 brisk miles Wednesday, a short, hot 20 on Thursday, and the 82 on Friday, I can't get my HR above 133bpm. I'm tired on the inside.
Old 07-21-18, 07:33 PM
dagray

Went out for a nice 17.8 miles today in 82 degree temps https://www.strava.com/activities/1718837941/overview. It would have been 20 or so but I put a cut in my rear tire. As I was inspecting the rear tire my wife drove by so I hitched a ride.

Any riding tomorrow will have to be on the trainer as I have a trainer tire mounted to a spare wheel.

Now to buy another Maxxis tubeless tire Monday after work (I might buy two so I have a spare.

I could have thrown a tube in and ridden home, but I think I cut the cords in the tire somehow as well as the rubber skin.
Old 07-21-18, 08:18 PM
jimincalif

Yes I always have at least one brand new spare for each bike, plus a few used ones that would be gudenuf in a pinch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.