Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Is it time to update the weight requirements for this forum?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-18, 01:37 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

The average American man weighs 195.7 pounds and the average American woman is 168.5 pounds, according to the CDC. Clydesdales are supposed to be above average, the big and the strong.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/body-measurements.htm
Old 08-15-18, 07:16 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Ha, I've always thought 200# was a low bar for men.

I accept I am a Clyde for life as at 6'5 I can't imagine being under 200 and will always view myself as 'big'.
But I guess in this sport/activity, 200# is high if you come at it from a competitive perspective.
Old 08-15-18, 07:41 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Over 6' and over 65, 230 is the new 190... comfort/endurance/gravel bikes with 28 tires is the industry's response.
Old 08-15-18, 08:03 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Barring a degenerative disease, I don't see my weight getting under 200lbs. Even if I keep shrinking, I think I'm gonna successfully stay above 6 foot-- I'm down to around 6'1 3/4" from a previous high of 6'2", so I'm feelin' alright about that.

My height and weight aside, as long as those genetically gifted jerks that are 5'10" and weigh 140lbs are out there hoovering up KOMs, I will continue to fall back on the fact that I am a big ol' freight train of a man, and I'll never be fast up hills.

Two hundred pounds might not be a high target for the typical inactive American, but for a cyclist, it's pretty big. Pretty damn big.
Old 08-15-18, 08:08 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
No because it also shows the average male is 5'9" (I don't think that's accurate, I think it's lower). At 195 and 5'9" by definition that is overweight and close to moderately obese.

So why update the weight on this forum?
Old 08-15-18, 08:17 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
For the same reason that 32 waist shorts are really 34", so that people can feeeeel better.

Anyone else old enough to remember "Husky" sized jeans?
Old 08-15-18, 08:36 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
WTF:

Men:
Height in inches: 69.2 (5.75 ft., or 5 ft 9")
Weight in pounds: 195.7
Waist circumference in inches: 40.0* (101.5 centimeters)
So I am pretty much spot on average for the first two, but my waist circumference is 34, and pretty much all my body fat is around my waist (the worst place, fwiw). So something is wrong with this picture.
Old 08-15-18, 08:44 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
The average American man weighs 195.7 pounds and the average American woman is 168.5 pounds, according to the CDC. Clydesdales are supposed to be above average, the big and the strong.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/body-measurements.htm
I am 6'3"

I was 212 in April. In August I'm now 194. The goal is to keep easing my way down toward the 180s as long as it feels right.

The concept is simple, and the implementation is hard but thoroughly enjoyable:
  • Step 1: Ride 4-5 days a week, 15-60 miles, targeting over 100 for the week (typically around 120 now).
  • Step 2: Eat when I'm hungry, until I'm full. Don't eat when I'm not hungry, or when I'm bored.
That's about it. The topography of my area dictates that if I leave my own neighborhood on a ride, I'm going to have 800-2000 feet of climbing, guaranteed. The hills help.

People mention the difference. I state I've been cycling. They nod as if it's a foregone conclusion that getting onto a bike here and there will shed pounds. That assumption is not recognizing that it's not a few miles here and there a couple times a week; it's a commitment to hit that 100+ and 4-5x/week threshold consistently. As for my eating, I eat whatever I want when I'm eating a full meal, and in whatever quantity I want. But I eat full meals when I need them, and stay away from other times.
Old 08-16-18, 07:12 AM
dizzah_g

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
For the same reason that 32 waist shorts are really 34", so that people can feeeeel better.

I always thought "Husky" was a brand when I was growing up.....
Old 08-16-18, 07:58 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by daoswald
I am 6'3"

I was 212 in April. In August I'm now 194. The goal is to keep easing my way down toward the 180s as long as it feels right.

• Step 1: Ride 4-5 days a week, 15-60 miles, targeting over 100 for the week (typically around 120 now).
  • Step 2: Eat when I'm hungry, until I'm full. Don't eat when I'm not hungry, or when I'm bored.
Step 2 is key, and the most difficult one (at least for me).
Old 08-16-18, 08:36 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I'm doing pretty much the same thing ... I've told my wife and friends, I'm eating JUST enough to take the edge off the hunger when I feel it.

Last few weeks I haven't been as diligent, and put on a couple of pounds, but I've just about dropped them again.

And my legs ... holy crap ... I don't think my legs have ever been this lean.
Old 08-16-18, 09:51 AM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you think the standards should be reset, look at new wheel sets and rider weight recommendations.
Old 08-16-18, 02:04 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Oh sure.... making people feel like they don't belong here is just the perfect way to treat people who might have body image issues.

"Sorry dude, you can't be here, you are not fat enough."

Old 08-16-18, 03:06 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts

Yes, and I used to wear them.
Old 08-16-18, 05:42 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Ha, I've always thought 200# was a low bar for men.
Not if you’re short like me.

Old 08-16-18, 06:22 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I am 6'3"

That's about it. The topography of my area dictates that if I leave my own neighborhood on a ride, I'm going to have 800-2000 feet of climbing, guaranteed. The hills help.

People mention the difference. I state I've been cycling. They nod as if it's a foregone conclusion that getting onto a bike here and there will shed pounds. That assumption is not recognizing that it's not a few miles here and there a couple times a week; it's a commitment to hit that 100+ and 4-5x/week threshold consistently. As for my eating, I eat whatever I want when I'm eating a full meal, and in whatever quantity I want. But I eat full meals when I need them, and stay away from other times.
Hunger, like thirst is the worst gauge. Rather, eat/drink on a schedule is the way to control your weight. Also, weight < fat percentage.

One more thing, that scale is dubious. What type of "average" does it refer to?
Old 08-16-18, 07:51 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Hunger, like thirst is the worst gauge. Rather, eat/drink on a schedule is the way to control your weight. Also, weight < fat percentage.

One more thing, that scale is dubious. What type of "average" does it refer to?
Works for me. Why does diet need to be more complicated than eat when hungary, stop when not. I'm not saying wait until you"re ravenous, then gorge irresponsibly. Just get a feel for initial hunger and nip in the bud, then stop.
Old 08-16-18, 09:31 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by gear64
Works for me. Why does diet need to be more complicated than eat when hungary, stop when not. I'm not saying wait until you"re ravenous, then gorge irresponsibly. Just get a feel for initial hunger and nip in the bud, then stop.
Morphine will kill the pain but it won't cure the disease. Sometimes things seem to work but may not always be the best solution.

The problem with hunger feeding is that it can be triggered by many things. Like Pavlov's dogs for example. And some people just see food or others eating and feel hunger. Even smells can often times trigger what we feel is hunger or the desire to eat.

Anyway, the problem for the majority of the population that rely on hunger as a feeding mechanism is the delayed response: by the time they feel satiated, they've already overeaten.
Old 08-17-18, 12:47 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Just read this in The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...rweight-people

So here’s the first big surprise: we ate more in 1976. According to government figures, we currently consume an average of 2,130 kilocalories a day, a figure that appears to include sweets and alcohol. But in 1976, we consumed 2,280 kcal excluding alcohol and sweets, or 2,590 kcal when they’re included. I have found no reason to disbelieve the figures.
Old 08-17-18, 01:34 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by wgscott
The data may be true but incomplete: There were no power chairs for individuals or in big box stores in 1976. Do I need to go on?

Also, this caught my attention.

The shift has not happened by accident. As Jacques Peretti argued in his film The Men Who Made Us Fat, food companies have invested heavily in designing products that use sugar to bypass our natural appetite control mechanisms, and in packaging and promoting these products to break down what remains of our defences, including through the use of subliminal scents.

They employ an army of food scientists and psychologists to trick us into eating more than we need, while their advertisers use the latest findings in neuroscience to overcome our resistance. The thrill of disapproval chimes disastrously with industry propaganda. We delight in blaming the victims

They hire biddable scientists and thinktanks to confuse us about the causes of obesity. Above all, just as the tobacco companies did with smoking, they promote the idea that weight is a question of “personal responsibility”. After spending billions on overriding our willpower, they blame us for failing to exercise it.

Thanks for reading.
Old 08-17-18, 06:36 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 943 Posts
Originally Posted by dizzah_g
I always thought "Husky" was a brand when I was growing up.....
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
Yes, and I used to wear them.
Yep, and I remember jeans before they were all stone washed. I'm pretty weird in a lot of ways, and one is I always loved the smell of brand new denim and I'm frugal enough to not want my jeans "pre-worn". I recently found some throwback jeans by Wrangler that are the exact style and brand of the husky sized jeans of my youth. Stiff as a board and I love 'um

Old 08-17-18, 08:50 AM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Honestly, my weight is sub-clyde now. I'm holding right around 13 stone, and have been since I gained 4-5 pounds back after losing 30+ in November in the accident

However, I'm 6'7. I think that makes me Cyldey! I have the wind resistance of HMS Victory!!
Old 08-17-18, 08:55 AM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If your 6'7" and under 200 lbs, you could be considered a race horse now!!!!
Old 08-17-18, 09:55 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I've never ... NEVER understood the mentality in this subforum of, "Your diet can't possibly be working because my diet says it shouldn't. You should be doing this and this and that instead."

If something is working for someone in terms of weight loss, why do others feel the need to interject? I know this is an open forum, but seriously ... if someone isn't ASKING for your opinion, there's no need to interject because you feel your brain is bigger.

To each their own, your mileage may vary, you do you and all that other assorted BS.

Sorry ... it touched a nerve today.
Old 08-17-18, 11:19 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ill.clyde
I've never ... NEVER understood the mentality in this subforum of, "Your diet can't possibly be working because my diet says it shouldn't. You should be doing this and this and that instead."

If something is working for someone in terms of weight loss, why do others feel the need to interject? I know this is an open forum, but seriously ... if someone isn't ASKING for your opinion, there's no need to interject because you feel your brain is bigger.

To each their own, your mileage may vary, you do you and all that other assorted BS.

Sorry ... it touched a nerve today.
Well, the first sentence and the second sentence are not mutually inclusive. I can share my diet that works with people and not claim they are doing it wrong. I am just sharing what works and they can take it for what it is worth.

Misrepresenting it as The One True Way is the problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.