Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Kona Rove ST 2019 650B - anybody ride one yet?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 09-19-18, 10:05 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts

This is on my shortlist for next bike. Just curious if anyone has ridden one yet and has any ride impressions to report. Currently riding a Cross Check and looking for a more relaxed/upright position in my next bike, and also considering 650B. I ride off-road a lot, and, I'm short Looks pretty darn good for $1600....
https://www.konaworld.com/rove_st.cfm

Last edited by pbass; 09-19-18 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-19-18, 11:15 PM
D-Fuzz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
I haven’t ridden that specific one but I am currently test riding the 2019 Rove NRB and I owned a Rove ST with 700c wheels previously. The 650 wheels/tires are really nice for gravel riding, much easier to ride in deep gravel or washboard than a 700 set up. Personally, I think the steel Rove with the 650 would be awesome, a bit more compliant than the aluminum NRB.
Old 09-20-18, 01:50 AM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Builds like those are what frustrate me with manufacturers. They could have easily put Apex drivetrain and hydro brakes but instead they opt for Rival and mech disc. Now if you want hydro you have to spend a pretty penny for new brifters as well.
Likes For gus6464:
Old 09-20-18, 09:00 AM
pbass

Originally Posted by gus6464
Builds like those are what frustrate me with manufacturers. They could have easily put Apex drivetrain and hydro brakes but instead they opt for Rival and mech disc. Now if you want hydro you have to spend a pretty penny for new brifters as well.
I'm OK with the mechs on that - I have a Unit and have been quite happy with the BB7s it came with. Considering my current gravel bike has V-brakes, I expect the mech discs on the Rove will suit me OK!
The bike ticks all the boxes for me as far as I can tell without riding one---will have to try and find one to test...
Old 09-20-18, 12:04 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
TRP Spyre are nice mech brakes! Way better than bb7 or hayes CX !
Old 09-20-18, 08:22 PM
D-Fuzz

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
The NRB I am testing has Apex with mech brakes. I also tested a Sutra LTD that had Rival with hydros. From a shifting standpoint, there was very little difference between Apex and Rival. As far as the brakes are concerned, the hydros are likely better but it’s pretty flat where I live, so the mechanical brakes did just fine.
Old 09-23-18, 04:38 AM
bobslee

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had a 2019 Kona Rove ST for about a month now. I absolutely LOVE it.

I have always had (single speed) road bikes, so this is a big change for me, but I will never go back to those.
This has become my do-it-all bike. It's super comfy, sturdy like a rock, but still light enough and quite speedy.

I would 100% recommend.
Old 09-23-18, 08:47 AM
pbass

Originally Posted by bobslee
I have had a 2019 Kona Rove ST for about a month now. I absolutely LOVE it.

I have always had (single speed) road bikes, so this is a big change for me, but I will never go back to those.
This has become my do-it-all bike. It's super comfy, sturdy like a rock, but still light enough and quite speedy.

I would 100% recommend.
Nice! How do you like going to the 650B compared to your other road bikes? And I assume the Rove is a more relaxed/upright position than your road machines? That's something I'm interested in too, coming from the Cross Check.
Old 09-23-18, 10:58 AM
Metieval

wrong thread.. whoops.
Old 09-23-18, 05:00 PM
pbass

Well, that didn't take long Only a brief ride so far but I'm lovin' it....
Old 09-23-18, 11:00 PM
Metieval

^ so much more appealing that their web page. why is it that Every single amateur online photo of bikes looks like the bike in person. yet ever single Professional web page photo, Kona, cannondale, trek specialize, raleigh, Niner, etc on and on cant get a TRUE color?
Old 09-24-18, 07:22 AM
McMitchell

Bikes: Focus Mares CX, Rocky Moutain Sherpa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am interested in how similar this bike is to the bike I have been working on. The components are similar.

I have been modifying a Focus Mares CX “cyclocross” bike for the gravel I ride on. The frames appear to be similar. The brakes on mine are TRP HY/RD. I put a 1X Eagle GX, crank, cassette & CR on. I put a WTB Volt, narrow saddle on mine as I found the one on my MTN bike worked for me.

The riding position is very similar. I used a 35 degree x 110mm stem to get my riser handlebars in a similar position. The “inner” bars I am using on my riser handlebar, function sort of like drop bar hoods in practically the same position. I was having issues with the drop bars that came with mine due to spinal injuries.

I am finding the riding position to be similarly attractive. I put Profile Design “Brief” end bars as “inner” bars on my riser bar, so I have multiple hand positions, that keep my hands within reach of the brakes in either hand position. I have Ergon GP2 gripshift grips & bar tape for the Profile Design bars on the way. I have issues with hand and arm numbness, also neck flexability, that I am hoping the handlebar mods will help with.

Last edited by McMitchell; 09-24-18 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-24-18, 08:38 AM
pbass

Originally Posted by McMitchell
The riding position is very similar. I used a 35 degree x 110mm stem to get my riser handlebars in a similar position. The “inner” bars I am using on my riser handlebar, function sort of like drop bar hoods in practically the same position. I was having issues with the drop bars that came with mine due to spinal injuries.

I have some issues as a result of body imbalances that seem to be exacerbated by riding in a more aggressive position. This photo makes it look a bit more upright than it really is for some reason, but yeah, it's way more comfortable right outta the gate than my Cross Check is, which I have been fiddling with for a year to get comfortable on(very different geo than this Kona of course). And, part of the problem is I'm aways a bit in between sizes, and I've decided my CC is a bit big for me, and I've hit the wall with how much I can close up the cockpit/raise the bars. With this new Rove I finally sized down for a change and I'm certain it's gonna be better, especially considering the more relaxed geometry. I can go to a bigger stem if I need to, the saddle has room to experiment with fore/aft, and as I say it already feels better right out of the shop. Looking forward to dialing this in.

Last edited by pbass; 09-24-18 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-24-18, 09:07 AM
McMitchell

Bikes: Focus Mares CX, Rocky Moutain Sherpa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally Posted by pbass
I have some issues as a result of body imbalances that seem to be exacerbated by riding in a more aggressive position. This photo makes it look a bit more upright than it really is for some reason, but yeah, it's way more comfortable right outta the gate than my Cross Check is, which I have been fiddling with for a year to get comfortable on(very different geo than this Kona). And, part of the problem is I'm aways a bit in between sizes, and I've decided my CC is a bit big for me. With this new Rove I finally sized down for a change and I'm certain it's gonna be better as a result, especially considering the more relaxed geometry.
Interesting Pbass,

I am around 5’ 8-9” in 5/10 biking shoes. My inseam is short at around 30-31”. My 5’3” wife fits the same frames, which is convenient. I have to be careful dismounting the Small Focus frame. Our MTN bikes are mediums, which we all know means nothing, regarding frame sizing. The first guy who fit me said I needed a 52-54 frame, which I guess puts me between frame sizes too.

I got in the habit of riding my MTN bike, with 27.5+ tires, on our gravel roads simply because it was more comfortable and geared better for the steep hills here in North, GA. I finally decided to outfit the Focus bike more like the MTN bike, so I could ride the lighter bike on our paved/gravel roads. The MTN bike was over kill on the tight steep roads.

Last edited by McMitchell; 09-24-18 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-24-18, 11:04 AM
pbass

Originally Posted by McMitchell
I finally decided to outfit the Focus bike more like the MTN bike, so I could ride the lighter bike on our paved/gravel roads. The MTN bike was over kill on the tight steep roads.
I think that's the thing for me too--the way I ride, I don't really have a need to be very aero, I ride off-road a lot, perhaps 60% of the time. I ride my gravel bike everywhere I used to mountain bike. So I'm pretty stoked about a rig like this.
Old 09-25-18, 05:45 AM
bobslee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice! How do you like going to the 650B compared to your other road bikes? And I assume the Rove is a more relaxed/upright position than your road machines? That's something I'm interested in too, coming from the Cross Check.
I really had to get used to riding 650B, but that's mainly just because it's different from what I was used to. Now, I really like it. It allows me to have less tire pressure. I sometimes have to pinch my arm how comfortable it is. Especially on tarmac. That magic carpet ride feeling really comes into play here.

You do lose a bit of speed, though. For me that is not a problem at all. I always drive by myself and without a smartphone, so I am not competing with anyone or setting any times on Strava.

I am 5'11. I decided on a size 54. I could have easily gone for a 52 as I am a bit stretched out. I might swap the standard 80mm stem for 70mm stem soon.
Old 09-25-18, 08:36 AM
pbass

Originally Posted by bobslee
I really had to get used to riding 650B, but that's mainly just because it's different from what I was used to. Now, I really like it. It allows me to have less tire pressure. I sometimes have to pinch my arm how comfortable it is. Especially on tarmac. That magic carpet ride feeling really comes into play here.

You do lose a bit of speed, though. For me that is not a problem at all. I always drive by myself and without a smartphone, so I am not competing with anyone or setting any times on Strava.

I am 5'11. I decided on a size 54. I could have easily gone for a 52 as I am a bit stretched out. I might swap the standard 80mm stem for 70mm stem soon.
Yeah it's a pretty cush ride on the pavement! I have a 29'r rigid mountain bike that I run low pressures on so I was prepared for something similar, but maybe it's just 'cause now I'm on a drop bar bike that is more "road-ish" it's surprising at first how it feels!
I'm 5'7" on the nose and went with a 50, though the 52 felt pretty good too, I've always gone up in size and this time I went down. Mine came with a 70mm stem. I've been running a 70mm stem(with lots of rise) on my Cross Check and never felt that the handling suffered.
Old 09-25-18, 10:24 AM
bobslee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For anyone interested,I have an album with some really nice pictures of my bike.

I cannot post a link yet, because I haven't made 10 posts yet, so send me a PM if you're interested.
Old 09-26-18, 12:23 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Nice looking bike PBass! I love that shade of green.

I have a buddy who is almost ready for a drop-bar gravel bike. He's probably more 60-70% pavement, and riding for fun and fitness. Originally interested in a Norco Search XR (steel frame/carbon fork), he was piqued by the steel Niner RLT. But now seems highly attracted to an all-steel Kona. At the moment he's leaning towards the Kona Sutra LTD, steel frame and fork, and would build it up with the components he prefers.

MY understanding is 700c is a bit nicer for more pavement riding, whereas 650b offers better/nicer gravel/off-road experiences. I called attention to the Kona Rove ST to consider along with the Kona Sutra LTD, both available as frameset/fork. Geometry is a bit different, both are longer wheelbases than the Norco Search. The Search has shorter top tube length. Neither is available to test ride within 200 miles, so he might have to find a dealer in san francisco or LA that has both to test ride.

My main question.... the Sutra comes with 700c. The Rove is 650b. The Norco Search is listed as both 650b and 700c compliant. Does anyone have any experience with running the opposite factory spec-wheel sizes for the Konas? 700c on the Kona Rove, 650b on the Kona Sutra? Kona's web site doesn't mention that but it seems like it could be done.

Thanks!

eric/fresno, ca.
Old 09-26-18, 02:18 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by ericzamora
Nice looking bike PBass!
My main question.... the Sutra comes with 700c. The Rove is 650b. The Norco Search is listed as both 650b and 700c compliant. Does anyone have any experience with running the opposite factory spec-wheel sizes for the Konas? 700c on the Kona Rove, 650b on the Kona Sutra? Kona's web site doesn't mention that but it seems like it could be done.
Not sure about the 2019 Rove ST like mine running a 700c. However, the 2018 Rove ST comes 700c, and I was told by Kona that you can run a 650B 47c tire on it. They said they tested it with the wheels/tires from an NRB and it fit fine. You can get the 2018 Rove ST for a great price right now. I was seriously considering that before I happened upon the 2019 in my size and just jumped on it.

https://www.konaworld.com/2018/rove_st.cfm

As for the pavement vs gravel factor, I dunno man, I've only been on a few rides with it but I'm lovin' the "road plus" thing on every surface I encounter. Been going out of my way to hit a lot of variety, from fast winding road descents to rocky singletrack. I'm coming from riding a gravel bike with 700x41c on it, everywhere--from road to trails. I have a feeling I'm sticking with this 650B thing for the foreseeable future!

Last edited by pbass; 09-26-18 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-26-18, 02:36 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Not sure about the 2019 Rove ST like mine running a 700c. However, the 2018 Rove ST comes 700c, and I was told by Kona that you can run a 650B 47c tire on it. They said they tested it with the wheels/tires from an NRB and it fit fine. You can get the 2018 Rove ST for a great price right now. I was seriously considering that before I happened upon the 2019 in my size and just jumped on it.

KONA BIKES | ROAD | ROVE | Rove ST

As for the pavement vs gravel factor, I dunno man, I've only been on a few rides with it but I'm lovin' the "road plus" thing on every surface I encounter. Been going out of my way to hit a lot of variety, from fast winding road descents to rocky singletrack. I'm coming from riding a gravel bike with 700x41c on it, everywhere--from road to trails. I have a feeling I'm sticking with this 650B thing for the foreseeable future!

Nice. I just checked the specs for the Sutra LTD, both 2018 and 2019 models. they appear to have the same frame geometry specs. 2018 Sutra LTD came with 700c wheels, 2019 comes with 650b wheels. It appears it's the same frame, different color, and can take either size wheel.
Old 09-26-18, 02:46 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by ericzamora
Nice. I just checked the specs for the Sutra LTD, both 2018 and 2019 models. they appear to have the same frame geometry specs. 2018 Sutra LTD came with 700c wheels, 2019 comes with 650b wheels. It appears it's the same frame, different color, and can take either size wheel.
I see the 2019 Sutra as coming with 700c wheels: KONA BIKES | ROAD | SUTRA | Sutra LTD
But anyhow, would fit 650B just fine. Great review of it on bikepacking.com: Kona Sutra LTD Review, The Last Adventure Bike - BIKEPACKING.com
I feel the stock Rove ST is essentially a more "budget friendly" Sutra LTD, sorta....
Old 09-26-18, 08:15 PM
Metieval

I am more curious to how much room you have to spare on that 650x47 ?
As in will it fit a 650 x 50 ? MSO , Maxxis Refuse ... I forget all the 650x50 options out there.
Old 10-02-18, 11:51 AM
pbass

Originally Posted by Metieval
I am more curious to how much room you have to spare on that 650x47 ?
As in will it fit a 650 x 50 ? MSO , Maxxis Refuse ... I forget all the 650x50 options out there.
Here's how the 47 looks in there.
Old 10-02-18, 01:31 PM
Metieval

cool! Thanks for the picture. I like that color the accents with those tires!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.