Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Specialized Sequioa Elite Thoughts

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-18, 04:55 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts

I've been considering one of these but most of the reviews seem to say they're heavy with a lot of the weight coming from the wheels which could be changed (more cost from the outset) but what possibly concerns me more is a couple of reviews on the Specialized suggest say they're prone to rust ... here in the UK and where I ride there's almost always some puddles throughout the winter ... our bikes get absolutely caked on the gravel sections.

https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/se...elite/p/129126

Anyone any thoughts or experience of one of these be interested to hear??
Old 11-03-18, 10:52 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
I've been considering one of these but most of the reviews seem to say they're heavy with a lot of the weight coming from the wheels which could be changed (more cost from the outset) but what possibly concerns me more is a couple of reviews on the Specialized suggest say they're prone to rust ... here in the UK and where I ride there's almost always some puddles throughout the winter ... our bikes get absolutely caked on the gravel sections.

https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/se...elite/p/129126

Anyone any thoughts or experience of one of these be interested to hear??
Nice looking bike, but the rust reports are ludicrous, what on Earth is Specialized doing(or not doing) here?
Old 11-03-18, 05:08 PM
Witterings

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Nice looking bike, but the rust reports are ludicrous, what on Earth is Specialized doing(or not doing) here?
Must admit I had a decision to make and whilst the rust reports were of concern I searched and found quite a few other reviews and virtually without exception every one of them referred to it as a tank and I'm looking to buy a bike rather then pedaling a heavily armored vehicle so decided to pass on it.

A real shame, they had the small (my size) on offer for £1198 with another 10% off for a trade in bike reduced from £1850 and it seemed like a steel : ... sorry couldn't resist the cheap pun ... at that price.

It offered an amasing gear range as most 105's are restricted to 32T on the back ... everything worked on this bike except the weight for me.
Old 11-03-18, 06:20 PM
D-Fuzz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
What kind of weight are you looking for? I was at my LBS today as I am looking at a Sequoia Elite. I had been test riding the owners Sequoia Merz Special Edition (beautiful bike) and I was wondering what difference there was between the two as far as weight. The Merz Sequoia with a SRAM Force 1x, carbon crank and tubeless Cruzero wheels was just over 24lbs. The stock 2018 Sequoia Elite with tubes was 26.5lbs. Going tubeless might knock a half pound off, but basically I think the difference between the two lies mostly in the wheels. By comparison, we also weighed one of the employee’s tricked-out Kona Rove LTD. It came in at 24lbs. Both the Kona and the Merz Sequoia are significantly more expensive so I’d expect them to be lighter.
Old 11-08-18, 03:28 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by D-Fuzz
What kind of weight are you looking for? I was at my LBS today as I am looking at a Sequoia Elite. I had been test riding the owners Sequoia Merz Special Edition (beautiful bike) and I was wondering what difference there was between the two as far as weight. The Merz Sequoia with a SRAM Force 1x, carbon crank and tubeless Cruzero wheels was just over 24lbs. The stock 2018 Sequoia Elite with tubes was 26.5lbs. Going tubeless might knock a half pound off, but basically I think the difference between the two lies mostly in the wheels. By comparison, we also weighed one of the employee’s tricked-out Kona Rove LTD. It came in at 24lbs. Both the Kona and the Merz Sequoia are significantly more expensive so I’d expect them to be lighter.
That's insane for a bike of that level. My $700 Tamland weighs that and its wheels are something like 2100g.
Old 11-08-18, 04:21 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by D-Fuzz
How is that even possible? My Cannondale Slate weighs much less than that with the much heavier lefty Oliver fork and super porky Mavic wheels.
Old 11-16-18, 10:04 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
This a horrible bike. We own a bike shop and were shocked when two folks came in riding these on a cross-country tour. They weigh a ton and have a very sluggish ride. Over priced too. There are SOO many good touring and adventure bikes I would recommend over tisi one. Shop around and compare to the Sales Marakesh, Surly LHT, Fuji Touring, Jamis Aurora, etc. Even a Trek 520. As an avid tourer and owner of a gravel bike shop I can say this is a bike that is near the bottom of just about any list I can think of. Compare it to anything and you will buy the other thing.
Old 11-17-18, 04:42 AM
Witterings

Originally Posted by dwmckee
This a horrible bike. We own a bike shop and were shocked when two folks came in riding these on a cross-country tour. They weigh a ton and have a very sluggish ride. Over priced too. There are SOO many good touring and adventure bikes I would recommend over tisi one. Shop around and compare to the Sales Marakesh, Surly LHT, Fuji Touring, Jamis Aurora, etc. Even a Trek 520. As an avid tourer and owner of a gravel bike shop I can say this is a bike that is near the bottom of just about any list I can think of. Compare it to anything and you will buy the other thing.
Must admit with time I'm very relieved I didn't buy it as all the subsequent reviews I've found say exactly the same ... I'd even got my credit card out and given them a deposit which they very willingly re-funded without making me feel guilty and because of that has probably made it my go to shop for when I need bits so at least they'll get some benefit from it.
Old 11-17-18, 04:54 AM
Witterings

Originally Posted by dwmckee
Shop around and compare to the Sales Marakesh, Surly LHT, Fuji Touring, Jamis Aurora, etc. Even a Trek 520. As an avid tourer and owner of a gravel bike shop I can say this is a bike that is near the bottom of just about any list I can think of. Compare it to anything and you will buy the other thing.
I've just had a look at the other bikes you mention and the other conclusion I came to is it was more of a touring than a gravel bike per se ... I'm really looking for something that's more road bike orientated and can cope with gravel rather than the other way round .... if that makes sense.
Old 11-21-18, 12:23 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
I've just had a look at the other bikes you mention and the other conclusion I came to is it was more of a touring than a gravel bike per se ... I'm really looking for something that's more road bike orientated and can cope with gravel rather than the other way round .... if that makes sense.
I have a 55cm GT Grade Carbon hydro for sale that is exactly that.
Old 11-21-18, 03:51 PM
D-Fuzz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
I'm really looking for something that's more road bike orientated and can cope with gravel rather than the other way round .... if that makes sense.
I think this is an important bit of info because if this is what you are looking for, the Sequoia wouldn’t fit that bill. I have a dedicated road bike so I am looking for something that leans more toward the hardtail MTB side of the equation. The Sequoia is lighter, more nimble and more comfortable than any hardtail I’ve tried, especially in that price point. I have found the Sequoia to be a bike I can spend several hours riding over virtually any kind of terrain but I am looking more for comfort and compliance than speed. The other bike that I am considering is the Kona Sutra Ltd which is basically a drop bar rigid MTB.
Old 11-21-18, 03:59 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
The Spez you want is the Diverge.
Old 11-21-18, 04:23 PM
Witterings

Originally Posted by gus6464
The Spez you want is the Diverge.
Totally agree if it had better tyre clearance, it was this the Diverge that 1st got my interest in gravel bikes but unless you go to the full carbon which is that much more expensive you're limited to max 38c and some reports suggest that's pushing it beyond it's ideal.
Old 11-21-18, 04:46 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
A few of the UK sellers currently are discounting some bikes so I'd have a look around.
e.g. The 1x carbon Planet-X Space Chicken 650b Force1 is currently 1499.

Reading through your bike requirements I initially thought of their 2x Holdsworth Mystique carbon (threaded bb) as it has a few mounting points.