Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

👨*🌾 Gardening 2019

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

👨*🌾 Gardening 2019

Old 03-03-19, 08:48 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Pruned the blueberries, added a small bit of acidic fertilizer. This is their 2nd year (transplants). Pruning means removing old/questionable canes, opening up bush for growth, give new canes room.

Old 03-04-19, 04:40 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2921 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
Lots of fish emulsion in those peppers, then stress them.

Pepper X? Puckerbutt says he has a new one in the works....

Some of Mrs. LAJ's crop.

Ready to dehydrate.
Wow, did your wife, order a ready pack of the hottest peppers? I see habaneros, but not sure if the other are Chocolate, Scorpion, Reapers? Either way that's quite a fiery haul. I'd like to try Pepper X this season but can't find a legitimate supplier. Burpee doesn't sell them.
Originally Posted by Jseis View Post
Pruned the blueberries, added a small bit of acidic fertilizer. This is their 2nd year (transplants). Pruning means removing old/questionable canes, opening up bush for growth, give new canes room.

Aren't you suppose to prune them all the way down? ?With my peppers. I cut it to the base stem and they're thriving (except one), even with last season's soil.
Old 03-04-19, 07:40 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
Wow, did your wife, order a ready pack of the hottest peppers? I see habaneros, but not sure if the other are Chocolate, Scorpion, Reapers? Either way that's quite a fiery haul. I'd like to try Pepper X this season but can't find a legitimate supplier. Burpee doesn't sell them. Aren't you suppose to prune them all the way down? ?With my peppers. I cut it to the base stem and they're thriving (except one), even with last season's soil.
if the canes are healthy you can leave them. If new canes appear, then yes.
Old 03-05-19, 01:44 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Wow, did your wife, order a ready pack of the hottest peppers? I see habaneros, but not sure if the other are Chocolate, Scorpion, Reapers? Either way that's quite a fiery haul. I'd like to try Pepper X this season but can't find a legitimate supplier. Burpee doesn't sell them.
She just knows all the hitters in the Super Hot world. She has seeds from all over the world, and I'm pretty sure she can grow anything, anywhere. Puckerbutt/Ed Curry is the Pepper X guy, and it doesn't look like seeds are available yet. I do know his Reaper keeps getting hotter, though I have no way of knowing. The closest I come to Super Hots is some dried flakes in my bread and butter pickles.
Old 03-08-19, 09:58 AM
colorider
smorenivore

Bikes: '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Just started my tomato and pepper seeds this week. The garden won't be that big this year since we just moved into a new house but there will be some at least.
Old 03-08-19, 02:41 PM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Just started my tomato and pepper seeds this week. The garden won't be that big this year since we just moved into a new house but there will be some at least.
Nice. Even with little room, you can do amazing things in planters and pots. Mrs. LAJ grows flowers in the garden, and all her veggies in 20 (?) gallon pots.
Old 03-11-19, 08:34 AM
colorider
smorenivore

Bikes: '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Nice. Even with little room, you can do amazing things in planters and pots. Mrs. LAJ grows flowers in the garden, and all her veggies in 20 (?) gallon pots.
Yep. I'll be using pots plus a nice sunny strip on the side of the house that should be perfect for the tomatoes and peppers.
Old 03-11-19, 07:22 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Yep. I'll be using pots plus a nice sunny strip on the side of the house that should be perfect for the tomatoes and peppers.
Last season I planed beefsteak tomatoes and got salad tomatoes instead. Thing is, I'm not sure if that was due to limited direct sunlight on my balcony or mispackaging? I did get a nice bounty from my peppers regardless. Maybe I'll just grow several varieties of peppers and leave it at that? I wish now I had chosen a south facing apartment.

Anyway, do be sure and keep a photo/video log of your grow season. We'd like to see where your humble beginnings. Good luck.
Old 03-12-19, 05:38 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2186 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
20 gallon pots? I wouldn't want to have to move those around. I just gave away all my 10 gallon pots for 7 gallon ones just for that reason.
Old 03-12-19, 08:40 PM
KraneXL

I have to draw the line at 5 gal due to the size constraints of my small balcony. I think I have one 7 gal pot that I re-purposed.

BTW, the rat came back and attacked my peppers. I guess since he already ravaged my greens he's getting desperate? No since in planting any new crops until I get rid of it.

My landlord came by and put out glue traps which it completely ignored. Wonder if there's any capsaicin in those pepper leaves? It would please me greatly to see him having a fit.
Old 03-14-19, 10:52 AM
LAJ
So it is

I'm guessing 20 gallon, but I very well may be wrong. Not much moving around when dirt is in them, but off season, they're stacked and put out of the way. The dirt is stored in Rubbermaid style trash bins for the next go-round.

Here's her peppers and tomatoes in their infancy.

Old 03-22-19, 01:11 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike View Post
This story is a little old, but apparently it's still going on...these kind of stories infuriates me

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...189273944.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIZAiclnZtk
There is some good news from this story. After the couple lost in the courts and the Florida Supreme court would not take the case, a few state senators decided to attempt to pass a law prohibiting ordinances from restricting front yard gardens.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/florid...ts-green-light

On Thursday, Bradley described local-government efforts to prevent homeowners from growing vegetables and fruit as a “vast overreach.”

But Sen. Bobby Powell, a West Palm Beach Democrat who opposed the bill, suggested it was an overreach by the state to prevent local governments throughout Florida from having such regulations.

Other opponents of the bill were Sen. Lori Berman, D-Lantana; Sen. Randolph Bracy, D-Orlando; Sen. Gary Farmer, D-Fort Lauderdale; and Sen. Perry Thurston, D-Fort Lauderdale.

A House version of the bill (HB 145), filed by Rep. Elizabeth Fetterhoff, R-DeLand, has been approved by one committee.
Old 04-01-19, 01:54 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Well my friend's grand dad gave me a 4' long LED light with a mixture of 80% red and 20% blue bulbs. So I replaced the 4x4' T5 florescent with it and we'll see how it does and hopefully saves some on the electrical bill.

I guess the red and blue bulbs are supposed to replicate sunrays somehow from what very little I read on it.
Old 04-03-19, 01:42 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
Well my friend's grand dad gave me a 4' long LED light with a mixture of 80% red and 20% blue bulbs. So I replaced the 4x4' T5 florescent with it and we'll see how it does and hopefully saves some on the electrical bill.

I guess the red and blue bulbs are supposed to replicate sunrays somehow from what very little I read on it.
Well aren't you the lucky thing. If you get it setup be sure and update. I'd like to increase my yield, but don't know if the investment will be worth it since I've been plagued with bad luck of pests from every direction.

Just when I thought my peppers were immune, when i checked on them the other day one of the plants was covered in aphids. Thankfully, I caught it soon enough and my homemade solution of insecticidal soap seem to clean that problem right up. The reason I garden is to help me relax, not to increase my tension.

Last edited by KraneXL; 04-03-19 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-03-19, 10:49 AM
BenzFanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well aren't you the lucky thing. If you get it setup be sure an update. I'd like to increase my yield, but don't now it the investment will be worth it since I've been plagued with bad luck of pests from every direction.

Just when I thought my peppers were immune, when i checked on them the other day one of the plants was covered in aphids. Thankfully, I caught it soon enough and my homemade solution of insecticidal soap seem to clean that problem right up. The reason I garden is to help me relax, not to increase my tension.
The likely reason you are getting so many pests is because there's nothing to prey on the things that will almost inherently come with your plants, in the soil, or will seek out your plants. Have you looked into beneficial insects at all? Even a lot of large greenhouse operations these days are almost exclusively using beneficials for pests.
Old 04-03-19, 12:18 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by BenzFanatic View Post
The likely reason you are getting so many pests is because there's nothing to prey on the things that will almost inherently come with your plants, in the soil, or will seek out your plants. Have you looked into beneficial insects at all? Even a lot of large greenhouse operations these days are almost exclusively using beneficials for pests.
Its just a small balcony garden, and that could get expensive very quick. Besides, you never know what they'll do. If there's not sufficient food source present at the time they could just fly or crawl away.
Old 04-03-19, 02:28 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 8310 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 222 Posts
I bought 20 cubic feet of potting soil, in those 1 CF bags. Had to carry them up the stairs, through the building, and out to the garden. I think I've used 18 so far. I'm going to need more.

If I wanted an excuse not to go to the gym, this is a pretty solid one. But I'm gonna be s good boy.
Old 04-03-19, 02:29 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 8310 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 222 Posts
Its just a small balcony garden, and that could get expensive very quick. Besides, you never know what they'll do. If there's not sufficient food source present at the time they could just fly or crawl away.
I sing to the aphids and they're in a hurry to leave.
Old 04-04-19, 09:47 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Well aren't you the lucky thing. If you get it setup be sure and update. I'd like to increase my yield, but don't know if the investment will be worth it since I've been plagued with bad luck of pests from every direction.

Some of those commercial products need to be properly diluted as per their instructions. Some of that stuff gets outlawed simultaneously in the states where some growing of formerly illegal stuff is legalized. I'm assuming that's in anticipation of new wannabe farmers that don't read instructions. I'm indoors but I can still get critters. Emptying and sterilizing the room, hanging "Shell No-Pest Strips" for a few days and starting over works for awhile for me.

The LED light lights and that's all I can tell about it for now. I also have left a single 4' T5 florescent on the wall and hung another from just under the ceiling on the other side of the long LED.

Last edited by Zinger; 04-04-19 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-04-19, 10:44 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
I sing to the aphids and they're in a hurry to leave.
Our garage band was strictly instrumental. Fortunately we were never recorded. I'm assuming Beethoven instrumentals as counterproductive. So I'd hafta find me a singer.

This memorable piece comes to mind. It works on me at least.

Last edited by Zinger; 04-04-19 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-01-19, 01:31 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Here are some shots of the garden in good spring form.

A super-dwarf banana plant, supposed to stay less than 3 feet tall, though it has been growing very fast:

A "Shrektus", or Ogre's Ear succulent plant:

4th generation pineapple plant:

Dwarf Barbados cherry tree:

Dwarf guava:

more...
Old 05-01-19, 01:35 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
(continued)...calmondin oranges, which are like a cross between orange and limes:

A fig tree, watched over by the garden gator:

Coffee plant, brand new, with a new pot:

"Merckx" just chilling:

Last edited by chewybrian; 05-01-19 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-02-19, 03:48 AM
KraneXL

Such an ornate gardener you are. All my container are recycled. Anyway, such a strange citrus combination I didn't know about. But I'm sure there are many, many more. I always wanted to draft a 3 citrus plant but never got around to it when I had yard space. There are so many things that attack citrus but yours looks very healthy.

I had many of the dwarf bananas too (plant them once and they return) but after Hurricane Andrew they never came back for some reason. I lost all my bonsai in that storm as well. Really don't know what to tell you about that pineapple though??
Old 05-04-19, 07:45 AM
KraneXL

Pesky rat is back. Believe it or not, the vermin won't leave my garden alone. My greens came back from when he ravaged them earlier this year after I moved them to the top of the planters and out of its reach. Or so I thought.

To tell you the truth I don't even know why I still have them growing since they're past the season and starting to bloom. I guess I just wanted to prove I couldn't be outsmarted by a rat, and let him see them growing but be just out of its reach.

Well low and behold somehow he was able to climb the 1/5 " thin rail of the planter an munch on the few remaining plants in the smaller planter. The bigger pot, has a larger pot inverted over the planter which was untouched (if he gets to that one he's smarter than me). Diabolically clever these vermin are.

My complex is surrounded by foliage but he knows how to find and select my tender garden greens. No wonder these things are the scourge of mankind.

I really should just dump the planters anyway now that the season is over, but I'm afraid he may just attack my peppers (which are unguarded) just for spite. He chewed on them the last time after he finished the greens, but only once. I'm guessing something in them didn't agree with him (is there any capsaicin in a pepper's leaves?)

Maybe I should make a paste from last season's dried peppers and spray it on the leave of the green then leave them out for him? Yeah, I think I just may do that.

Would love to get video of his reaction from that. But it would teach him a lesson even if I don't get to see the results. 👺
Old 05-10-19, 08:31 AM
KraneXL

🐀 Out smarted by a rat?

OK I admit it, he outsmarted me. But I'm in good company (the experts in NY subways can't get rid of them either) so I don't feel too bad. I moved my green to the center-point of my balcony and placed it on an inverted pot then put that on top of my planter.

When I checked it yesterday I notice some of the greens had been munched on. Apparently, the varmint leaped from the rail to the planter (I didn't know they could do that) where he was able to much on a few of the lower leave of the plants. Completely flabbergasted I decided to throw in the towel, but go down fighting.

Last night, I gathered up a dozen or so of last season's peppers and cooked up a nice batch of fiery hot sauce. I added some liquid detergent and oil so it could stick and sprayed it on all the leave of every plant. If the vermin wants to dine on my garden let him. But he will find there are consequences to his actions. I only wish I could see him when the hot sauce hits his system.

I put a drop of the pepper base on my tongue to test and wept like an infant. I also had sneezing and runny noise for several minutes just from a few droplets of the back spray. This stuff is caliente! At least I know now how to make my own pepper spray.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.