Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What keeps you engaged to cycling as an activity?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-19, 01:31 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

I'm absolutely convinced that cycling is compatible with my personality. It combines several elements that keep me engaged. It helps me avoid periods of inactivity. It takes me outdoors. It provides an element of adventure and exploration. It has a techi element. It gives me a chance to use my hands to maintain, repair and upgrade. The list goes on. Ultimately, it's about maintaining and improving my health, but it's more than that.

What keeps you engaged?
Old 02-23-19, 01:55 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
I put on too much weight and feel lousy when I don't ride regularly. I suppose I could do other activities that give me a good cardio workout, but cycling is the one I know I enjoy and can be done at my whim.
Old 02-23-19, 02:41 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
All of the above plus the social element. I almost always ride with a small group of friends (sometimes only two of us). It gives me a chance to have some protracted conversations with those folks, unwind, share stories, etc.
Old 02-23-19, 03:47 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Being able to always find a parking space at my destination. Allowing me to not drive my car on salted roads.
Old 02-23-19, 05:50 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I enjoy kinetic sports: cycling, skiing, running, hiking, that sort of thing. I like being outdoors. I like working my body hard. That feels good. The techie stuff is OK, but I don't love it. I don't really care much what my bike looks like as long as it will go for me. I like getting up the road, up the trail, up the mountain, down the slope, movement.

I also enjoy the cycling community. I say that one speaks with one's bike. You don't really know someone until you've ridden with them. it all comes out. I enjoy riding with people who will come in and have a beer and yak after the ride.
Old 02-23-19, 05:55 PM
rayooo

Bikes: Superfly-9.6, Domane-4.5 Emonda-SLR 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
There's not much I enjoy more than a nice long ride on a warm day. Good hard exercise that I enjoy doing immensely. It's a win win for me. If I only lived somewhere without winter!
Old 02-23-19, 06:02 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I'm absolutely convinced that cycling is compatible with my personality. It combines several elements that keep me engaged. It helps me avoid periods of inactivity. It takes me outdoors. It provides an element of adventure and exploration. It has a techi element. It gives me a chance to use my hands to maintain, repair and upgrade. The list goes on. Ultimately, it's about maintaining and improving my health, but it's more than that.

What keeps you engaged?
Bingo on all counts!
Old 02-23-19, 06:16 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
I live three blocks from a paved MUP trail that goes from the foothills to the edge of San Francisco Bay. 11 miles each way and the last two miles to the bay are on a levee. It's inspiring, beautiful and there are no cars/crazed drivers to contend with. Often, there's a tail wind on the way back from the bay that works really well with my LWB recumbent. What could be better than that for a 70 y/o guy? bk
Old 02-23-19, 06:22 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Pretty much exactly what you said (minus the techie part -- no computers, no phones, just a 1980s-vintage Timex Ironman watch). All of that. ^^^

I always feel better after a ride, and I feel like crap when I go too long without. And I see it as life-stage-appropriate (for me) adventuring. All my life I've been questing, exploring, whitewater kayaking, two-week-long hikes, stuff like that. Biking lets me do local adventures that don't require weeks off of work.

ETA: Forgot, I do carry an MP3 player/FM radio.

Last edited by rseeker; 02-23-19 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-23-19, 06:48 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,228 Posts
Having a bunch around always keeps a worthy project possible, a ride in most locations/conditions do-able, and serves as motivation for more ‘saddle time’. Variety makes overly familiar rides, more unique/interesting.

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-23-19 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-23-19, 07:20 PM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 105 Posts
What Barrett said plus it is just fun. Outside of a few charity rides I usually ride alone, prefer it that way. Gives me a chance to focus on the ride and put everything else going on in my life on pause. I have not found any other activity that has the same positive physical and mental effects on my life as cycling.
Old 02-23-19, 08:09 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 943 Posts
Like most of you, multiple reasons. I need the endorphin buzz of exercise and always have + I have an irregular heartbeat and regular exercise seems to keep it more steady. I love the outdoors and cannot stay inside too long w/o feeling the need to be outside. Luckily I live where I can ride year-round. I love bikes, especially older bikes with horizontal top tubes and chrome fittings. I have a bad case of personification and feel attachments to inanimate objects like bikes I've had experiences with. It makes it hard to get rid of any of them, so in a way bikes are like family. I also get shoppers high from getting a really good deal and luckily I can be just as happy with entry level gas pipe bikes as a grail bike with an historic pedigree. I enjoy bringing old bikes that have been neglected for years back to life with cleaning and new parts where necessary. I love the quietness of a well maintained bike purring along at a good pace with hardly any noise which leads to uninterrupted time to think.

As far as the ride itself I enjoy the demanding club ride that pushes me harder than I normally push myself because I know that does me the most good for exercise, but I wouldn't enjoy that all the time. My most enjoyable rides are solo or with a friend or family member at a steady pace, talking and taking in nature.

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 02-23-19 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-23-19, 08:36 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts

What keeps you engaged?
All of the above.
Old 02-23-19, 09:03 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
For me it is time alone with my machine Have been mechanically inclined my entire life and bond with any machine that I personally interact with. I also collect mechanical watches and old key wound clocks. I have found the perfect companion in my latest bike and enjoy having some interaction with it on a daily basis. I also get very attached to the machines and feel responsible for their maintenance and upkeep. I believe the phrase "responsible" is not accurate as it is a part of the total enjoyment for me to be able to ride, tune, and correct the parts of the bike that I can. The ride is always alone as it is my time for reflection and to find some inner peace. My bike has always been both my escape and my challenge.
Frank.
Old 02-23-19, 09:58 PM
Ikester

Bikes: Trek Marlin 2012, Giant Defy 1, Trek Domane 4.5, Giant Toughroad GX1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
The cost of classic cars..
Old 02-24-19, 02:23 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

I've been engaged in cycling as an activity for the past 48 years. Why would I stop now?
Old 02-24-19, 05:57 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I'm absolutely convinced that cycling is compatible with my personality. It combines several elements that keep me engaged.

It helps me avoid periods of inactivity. It takes me outdoors. It provides an element of adventure and exploration. It has a techi element. It gives me a chance to use my hands to maintain, repair and upgrade. The list goes on.

Ultimately, it's about maintaining and improving my health, but it's more than that.

What keeps you engaged?
I have described myself as a decades-long, year-round lifestyle cyclist particularly motivated for fitness. Touring was the initial hook that drew me in, and much of my early experience was with my girlfriend, now wife.

Since the 80’s nearly all my cycling has been local in Boston, mainly as a commuter, with some road cycling. Riding totally fits into my lifestyle, and indeed, enhances my reputation (link) among friends and co-workers, not as a goal, but a subsidiary value.

I won't delve further into the metaphysical benefits (link).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-24-19 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-24-19, 06:27 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
What keeps me engaged to cycling as an activity? I remain engaged to cycling because I fear commitment and am not ready to get married to cycling just yet, I would rather keep dating other activities for now. Maybe when I finish school and get a steady job, but not just yet.

That aside, I like the fresh air and sunshine, the cariovascularity, the modular nature of bikes that allows of switching parts, the history and tradition, and all the ridiculous multi-colored clothing you get to wear.
Old 02-24-19, 07:14 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by KenCT
What Barrett said plus it is just fun. Outside of a few charity rides I usually ride alone, prefer it that way. Gives me a chance to focus on the ride and put everything else going on in my life on pause. I have not found any other activity that has the same positive physical and mental effects on my life as cycling.
Me too.

Plus I have spent way too much money on my bikes, so I just have to keep riding.

Plus riding makes my legs look sexy.

Last edited by eja_ bottecchia; 02-24-19 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-24-19, 07:32 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Access to good places to ride
Old 02-24-19, 07:44 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
the groupies. almost goes without saying.
Old 02-24-19, 08:11 AM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 160 Posts
What most have said above. Three knee surgeries and a bad lower back mean cycling is really the one good activity for me. I love the ability to go out and enjoy nature (sights, sounds and smells) vs. just driving around in a vehicle all the time. As @Wildwood said, having a large stable doesn't hurt because maintaining them keeps you engaged - especially in the winter when the weather is bad. I ride alone most of the time and enjoy challenging myself to go a little harder, spin the pedals at a little higher rpm or, sometimes, just slow down and enjoy what's around me without worrying about others.

I have the classic car (and it definitely isn't cheap) but the bikes are just more fun.

Last edited by scozim; 02-24-19 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-24-19, 08:35 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Having a bunch around always keeps a worthy project possible, a ride in most locations/conditions do-able, and serves as motivation for more ‘saddle time’. Variety makes overly familiar rides, more unique/interesting.

That's my kind of collection!

I actually need to change around my cycling with a new route, a new component or sometimes a new bike! I certainly couldn't stay engaged without some old steel bike or new carbon bike to think about, build up and ride. I've started rebuilding some of the bikes in my collection, just for something to do.

​​​​​Older bike restorations and newer bike builds started as an off-season hobby, but the passion for cycling gear is ongoing. I've just finished a new bike built up with electronic shifting. I've got a Paramount and an Eddy Merckx that need a rebuild. My Serotta is getting a new drivetrain, not that it really needs one.

The other technology that helps during winter and bad weather is the direct drive smart trainer. Planning and completing workouts is actually something I look forward to.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 02-24-19 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-24-19, 08:40 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
My bike gets me to my destination, albeit sometimes drenched.
Old 02-24-19, 12:46 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
I don't give it that much thought. I just get the itch to go, so I do.

It so happens that I also enjoy working on them...Except wrapping bars.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.