Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

The other downside of losing that 3.5 mm audio jack...

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

The other downside of losing that 3.5 mm audio jack...

Old 04-01-19, 10:38 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8262 Post(s)
Liked 360 Times in 215 Posts
What's wrong with all the phones that have 3.5 mm jacks? You have a world of choices.

You bold the word buy and laugh, was your phone free?
Old 04-02-19, 03:15 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6552 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
What's wrong with all the phones that have 3.5 mm jacks? You have a world of choices.

You bold the word buy and laugh, was your phone free?
Vastly less than $1000.

I use a Samsung Galaxy S5. Its is waterproof to IP67 standard (3 feet, 30 min), has removable battery, SIM and microSD card (128G); 3.3mm headphone jack, and USB 3.0; and supports the following connectivies: WiFi: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac HT80, MIMO(2x2), Bluetooth: 4.0 BLE / ANT+, NFC, IR Remote, and of course: LTE Cat.4 (150/50Mbps).

I still use the wired earbuds that came in the box. I also use a set of sound deadening wired earbuds when flying and mowing the lawn; and for really long calls (like 2 hours... ), I wear a wired over the ears headset with boom mike... the last two items totalling about $50, and never require recharging, and are hard to lose, as they are "teathered."

But, someday, I will upgrade my phone... no time soon, as it still works wonderfully... but the stupid trend I see, based on Apple, Samsung, and Moto flagship phones, is the loss of a very effective and simple 3.5mm audio jack.

That is NOT a trend I support (obviously) and I feel it is simply a dumb marketing decision, that drives folks into expensive and easy to lose, battery limited, earbuds.

I honestly see no technical reason to remove that jack... so it is simply due to a "marketing style" decision. The wireless feature has long been available, as exemplified by BT in my "old" phone.

And the "buy" aspect... covered in the OP... regarding the limited life of the tiny batteries in wireless earbuds.

Have a nice day.
Old 04-02-19, 07:54 AM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
Old 04-02-19, 12:39 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by genec View Post
But, someday, I will upgrade my phone... no time soon, as it still works wonderfully... but the stupid trend I see, based on Apple, Samsung, and Moto flagship phones, is the loss of a very effective and simple 3.5mm audio jack.

The Samsung Galaxy S10 keeps the headphone jack alive

You may be interested if you’ve sworn to live a dongle-less life

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/20/1...one-jack-phone

Haven't all of Samsung's phones always had a headphone jack?

​​​​​​Also, is Motorola still making phones?
Old 04-03-19, 02:27 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1577 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 73 Posts
I'm not sure I'd want my dongle removed, I've so much to live for.

Oh wait, I have cassette decks.

Marcia Brady rode a ROLLFAST!
Old 04-03-19, 03:09 AM
genec
genec

The Samsung Galaxy S10 keeps the headphone jack alive

You may be interested if you’ve sworn to live a dongle-less life

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/20/1...one-jack-phone

Haven't all of Samsung's phones always had a headphone jack?

​​​​​​Also, is Motorola still making phones?
Sombody, named Motorola, sure is...
https://www.motorola.com/us/compare-smartphones

And, you are correct about Samsung... I must have heard a false rumor on that one. Thanks for the reality check.

Samsung remains one of the few major smartphone manufacturers to keep the standard headphone jack on its flagship smartphones. Apple famously parted ways with the headphone jack starting with the iPhone 7 in 2016, which predictably caused a stir. Google's newest Pixel smartphones also lack a headphone jack, as does Motorola's Moto Z3 and the OnePlus 6T. Many of these smartphone makers include a dongle that plugs into the device's USB C port for those who wish to connect wired headphones. LG joins Samsung as being one of the few handset makers that refuses to get rid of the standard headphone jack.
https://www.businessinsider.com/sams...k-specs-2019-2

Well, at least "somebody" is paying attention.
Old 04-03-19, 09:56 AM
Seattle Forrest

Somebody is issuing attention, but it's not the guy ranting at a cloud about headphones.
Old 04-03-19, 09:57 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
I'm not sure I'd want my dongle removed, I've so much to live for.

Oh wait, I have cassette decks.
l felt bad taking the tapedeck out of our 2002 VW but the stereo didn't even have an audio jack to plug my phone in so I switched to a cd player w/ bluetooth. At least, I think there's a cd player, w/ bluetooth so I can play off my phone I don't really get into optical media anymore...
Old 04-03-19, 10:01 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

I was predisposed to not miss the 3.5 jack on my phone because I stopped using onboard audio on my computer in favor of USB DAC/amp before the phone jacks ever went away. Once they did I was already preferring music through usb c anyway.
Old 04-03-19, 12:09 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2914 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post
l felt bad taking the tapedeck out of our 2002 VW but the stereo didn't even have an audio jack to plug my phone in so I switched to a cd player w/ bluetooth. At least, I think there's a cd player, w/ bluetooth so I can play off my phone <font size="+2"><span style="color:brown;">I don't really get into optical media anymore...</span></font>
Don't feel too bad, most of the population has abandoned optical media in favor of the more convenient steaming solution. A direction those providers are more than happy to fulfill since it guarantees them a steady stream of unending profit.

Thing is, most people deserted optical media use with the excuse that they have to continuously update their libraries every time a new standard comes out, when all the while not realizing that they are paying continuously for each viewing of a lower quality content that they cannot control? The logic of the masses? Go figure.

Last edited by KraneXL; 04-03-19 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-03-19, 12:12 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
Don't feel too bad, most of the population has abandoned optical media in favor of the more convenient steaming solution. A direction those providers are more than happy to fulfill since it guarantees them a steady stream of undending profit.

Thing is, most people deserted optical media use the excuse that they have to continuously update their libraries every time a new standard comes out, when all the while not realizing that they are paying continuously for each viewing of a lower quality content that they cannot control? The logic of the masses? Go figure.
I guess I should have said I only do cd at home, one time, to EAC to flac, so I only buy cds that I can rip (and continue to own regardless of if amazon decides to take my electronic stuff away), or downloads if I can get them in flac. That is what I load to my phone to play in the car.
Old 04-03-19, 12:38 PM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 3369 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post
I guess I should have said I only do cd at home, one time, to EAC to flac, so I only buy cds that I can rip (and continue to own regardless of if amazon decides to take my electronic stuff away), or downloads if I can get them in flac. That is what I load to my phone to play in the car.
Similar. I have thousands of CDs I'll never have time to rip. I've only ripped a hundred or so to flac. I still buy CDs also.
Old 04-03-19, 02:40 PM
Seattle Forrest

Beats’ new Powerbeats Pro are AirPods with a longer battery life and better fit

Old 04-03-19, 06:55 PM
genec
genec

Beats’ new Powerbeats Pro are AirPods with a longer battery life and better fit

Wow, gee, what do these new wonders cost... and just what is the long term lifespan of those batteries?
Old 04-03-19, 07:06 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2914 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 72 Posts
Wow, gee, what do these new wonders cost... and just what is the long term lifespan of those batteries?
Retail $250! They come highly rated but that's just robbery. Typical with all Beats products.
Old 04-03-19, 10:55 PM
Seattle Forrest

Antique headphones are free? I've never bought an Apple product, but if people feel like the earbuds are worth $250 then good for them. Besides, it's not like we're talking about throwing money away buying tablets when we already have laptops.
Old 04-04-19, 02:47 AM
genec
genec

Antique headphones are free? I've never bought an Apple product, but if people feel like the earbuds are worth $250 then good for them. Besides, it's not like we're talking about throwing money away buying tablets when we already have laptops.
Beats WIRED earbuds are $50. 1/5th cost of "magic" wireless earbuds... and they have UNLIMITED play time, and come with a handy "teather" to prevent loss.
Old 04-04-19, 10:29 AM
Seattle Forrest

Holy crap, you spent $50 on headphones? And wired ones at that? You could have had wireless ones for $8. Wow, some people just don't understand the value of the dollar. $50 for headphones, what's next, $200 socks?
Old 04-04-19, 07:50 PM
genec
genec

Holy crap, you spent $50 on headphones? And wired ones at that? You could have had wireless ones for $8. Wow, some people just don't understand the value of the dollar. $50 for headphones, what's next, $200 socks?
Hell no... I'm still using my 4 year old very well working earbuds that came with my phone, and still provide me with unlimited listening time.

I merely used the internets and did a quick search. Ever hear of the internet...
Old 04-05-19, 05:10 AM
genec
genec

Well wadda ya know... someone is ADDING a 3.5mm audio jack...

Using voice chat on the Nintendo Switch is about to get a whole lot easier, thanks to a new controller from PDP. Its Faceoff Deluxe+ wired controller – slated for launch this summer -- features a 3.5mm headphone jack, so you can simply plug in your headset and play without messing around with Nintendo's mobile chat app.
https://www.engadget.com/amp/2019/04...eadphone-jack/
Old 04-05-19, 09:47 AM
Seattle Forrest

You should get one. Vote with your wallet, as they say.
Old 04-05-19, 10:50 AM
Seattle Forrest

Citing anonymous sources within the company, Gurman said the earbuds will look and function like Apple’s super-popular AirPods, but that Amazon is working on better audio quality for its version of the product. His report details specific features:

The headphones will let people use their voice to order goods, access music, weather and other information on the go. The Amazon digital assistant will be summoned by saying “Alexa.” There will be physical gesture controls, such as tapping to pick up and end calls and switch between songs, the people said. Amazon declined to comment.
The Amazon earbuds will be the first Alexa wearable and will help the company push its voice assistant into more and more daily routines — skirting the fact that it doesn’t have a naturally compatible operating system that puts it on millions of phones, as Siri does with iOS or Google Assistant does with Android.

Gurman also cites Counterpoint Research, saying that Apple sold more than 7 million pairs of AirPods in the last quarter of 2018 alone.
Old 04-05-19, 01:52 PM
genec
genec

Citing anonymous sources within the company, Gurman said the earbuds will look and function like Apple’s super-popular AirPods, but that Amazon is working on better audio quality for its version of the product. His report details specific features:

The Amazon earbuds will be the first Alexa wearable and will help the company push its voice assistant into more and more daily routines — skirting the fact that it doesn’t have a naturally compatible operating system that puts it on millions of phones, as Siri does with iOS or Google Assistant does with Android.

Gurman also cites Counterpoint Research, saying that Apple sold more than 7 million pairs of AirPods in the last quarter of 2018 alone.
"Better audio quality," kinda says it all, right there.
Old 04-05-19, 02:35 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 3774 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 202 Posts
"Better audio quality," kinda says it all, right there.

The average AirPod buyer cares so little about audio quality that Apple sold $1.1B worth of them in a single financial quarter. They effectively spent a billion dollars not to have a cord. In other "they don't care about audio quality" news, Apple also owns Beats, which does about $3B in sales annually, and their headphones are all flash and no substance. Whether it uses a 3.5 jack or not, the fact is most people simply don't care.
Old 04-05-19, 02:46 PM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 3369 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts
But some of us do...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.