Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Quadricep Tendinitis - Anyone Recover?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-19, 10:24 AM
panthersnw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm having a bad time with my knees and quadricep tendinitis/jumpers knee. Anyone actually recover from this? I noticed a few members have posted in the past about having the condition but it's rare to find someone healed.
Any advice?
Old 06-06-19, 11:41 AM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
I had forearm tendinitis that took 2.5 years to recover from, and that was being super diligent not to stress it. I can't imagine riding of any significance and ever getting rid of your condition as you may be creating more (and perhaps permanent?) problems with each and every pedal stroke. Connective tissue takes a long time to heal, at the least take it very easy for a good long time. When I was just starting out with toe clips and straps (age 18) I tore my patella tendon a bit (just a bit) by pushing over the top of a pedal stroke way too hard in too big of a gear. I was done riding hard for over three months.
Old 06-06-19, 07:56 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by panthersnw
I'm having a bad time with my knees and quadricep tendinitis/jumpers knee. Anyone actually recover from this? I noticed a few members have posted in the past about having the condition but it's rare to find someone healed.
Any advice?
I recovered.

I was off the bicycle for a few weeks, then when I returned to cycling, I eased into it ... light spinning.
Likes For Machka:
Old 06-07-19, 04:45 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Try compression tights or compression sleeves. All sorts of athletes use compression, sleeves, shorts or tights for injuries and to promote circulation.
Old 06-07-19, 02:24 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Tendon injuries and recoveries are so individual.

Yes, I’ve recovered from:

Torn (partial) right proximal quadriceps tendon.
Left Achilles insertional tendonitis.
Left Achilles avulsion rupture (surgery, then wound complication) on Labor Day.

The first two barely kept me off my bike. (I actually rode to my doctor’s appointments and PT appointments, biking was part of my PT.)

The last was waiting for the wound to heal. But I was approved to get back on the bike in January (banned from out of the saddle and from the hills though). That was when I was still struggling with walking.

I’ve only recently been able to stand up on my tippy toes, and have just started SHORT slow runs (less than a K, not much faster than walking), but I’m now biking whenever and wherever I please.

But here’s the thing.

Our injuries (even the exact same diagnosis) are all different and our paths to recovery are all different.

Listen to your doctors and your physical therapists. What’s the tagline? We know a thing or two because we’ve seen a thing or two.

All I can reassure you is you do not need to fear that nobody has ever gotten better. We have gotten better.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 06-07-19 at 02:31 PM.
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 06-07-19, 05:19 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by panthersnw
Any advice?
It depends in part upon what or why you got it. If it is just acute tendonitis caused by an ordinary strain as in pushing too hard of a gear up a hill, ice and rest will normally take care of it. In the same how or why you got it scenario a corticosteroid injection by someone that knows how to do it plus a weeks rest and you are cured. Unfortunately, there are few people skilled in injections around these days.

If other things are causing it you will often not get rid of it till you identify what creating the strain and correct it.
Old 06-10-19, 08:04 AM
panthersnw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks mr_bill those are encouraging words. I initially injured it doing a strenuous squatting routine trying to ramp up my fitness for motocross. I haven't ran or rode bike in 10 weeks. The pain is finally starting to go a bit down but it's a very depressing injury (especially as the weather is getting nicer and nicer). Just sucks! I'll make sure to update this thread if I ever heal.

Currently I am wearing a knee brace for normal day-to-day activities. I have weak glutes and hips so I've been doing hip bridges every other day and stretching/foam rolling every day. I take supplements (a multi vitamin and glucasomine/chondrotin) and I'm not really sure those are helping but it's worth the try. I tried riding a bike a week ago but the knee was popping and cracking and somewhat uncomfortable so I won't be trying that for at least another month.