Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Seeking your opinion

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Seeking your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-19, 09:57 AM
Swanee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seeking your opinion

to sum up....I’ve been road biking for 6 years and enjoy it. Also have a custom hybrid which I haven’t really used. I’m thinking of trading it for a mountain bike. I’m 56, post cancer from 6 yrs ago and am carrying unwanted pounds let’s just say but would like to do something different. I’m still quite athletic, a bit nervous about falling post bilateral knee replacements 3 yrs ago. Thoughts? I’m thinking I would love it and should go for it.
Old 07-12-19, 11:04 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 255 Posts
I'm 51 and just started with a Trek 820. I've also lost 145 lbs in one year this August. I'm just saying I know a little about being a little older, major change and desires. My best advice would be to fulfill your dreams to the best of your ability while still using some good sense. What I mean is that I would trade the bike or just buy what I wanted and start slow enough not to hurt myself.

One thin to consider however is how far you can go on your current hybrid and why it won't work for what you want now. In your situation I think I would make sure my current bike wouldn't meet my needs or I would at least know exactly why it wouldn't meet my needs. Personally,I want to do some cool Mountain bike stuff but won't be launching my 51 year old self down hill and over jumps at 25 year old speeds,so I wouldn't necessarily need the same capability in a mountain bike as someone else,and a hybrid might do 99% of what I need.
Old 07-12-19, 11:55 AM
Swanee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you!

im looking to ride trails without all the acrobatics. I’m realistic about ability and want to get in shape. Congrats on the weight loss. Wow! I got hurled into menopause after cancer and the meds are keeping me plump!
Old 07-12-19, 12:03 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
you're asking a bunch of addicts if you should get another bike?

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-19-19 at 08:00 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 07-12-19, 03:10 PM
RH Clark

What do you not like about your hybrid? I would take it to some trails and see what I could do with it.
Old 07-12-19, 10:29 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Got back into road riding about 15 years ago after realizing I didn't have the time or surplus income to play golf regularly. Usually rode solo and the roads got a bit boring so gave mtbs a try about five years ago. Loved it from the first day. So much more excitement in an hour or two vs rarely on the road. It also cut down my pedaling time which was good for the marriage. We ski and snowboard all winter so keeping the knees healthy are always a priority for me. Make sure whichever bike you ride is lubed and shifting correctly. You can take strain off your knees by having a wider range of gears. They now even have cassettes with over 50 teeth in the rear. Also wear the right knee protection.

Congrats on beating cancer, that's awesome!
Old 07-13-19, 12:09 PM
Swanee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all!

going to rent a mountain bike. Put in 25 on the road bike today after a long dry spell + and injury. It was great but I’m beat. Appreciate all the feedback!
Old 07-13-19, 12:42 PM
RH Clark

Good going man. I hate what happened to you. I do however have huge faith in the human spirit to accomplish anything imaginable. Go out and live my friend, to the best of your ability and keep believing it will only get better.
Old 07-13-19, 02:39 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
Do a bit of research as the styles of mt. bike trails in your area. You would want to start out on the easy and non-technical stuff and that’s dependent on the local terrain.

Also so do some research as to a local bike club that does beginner rides. That’s a great way to learn the skills needed. Mt. biking is like downhill skiing in that some tips and lessons from those more experienced keeps you from getting hurt.

In in my experience, mt. biking is more anaerobic intensive then road riding due to the need to put out intense bursts of effort to maintain momentum and get thru obstacles and up short hills. Thus a 10 mile mt. bike ride (in my area) feels effort wise, like a 25-30 mile road ride.

Than maybe borrow a bike to try out whether you like it.
Old 07-13-19, 06:54 PM
rob214

Bikes: 2017 giant TCR, 2019 Santa Cruz tallboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Mtb is fun, you don't have to ride trails that would contribute to you falling, Mtb is no more dangerous than road biking. for me Mtb is like doing a road bike but out in a forest. I love it and I've been contemplating a new Mtb instead of a new road bike. I just returned from southern Colorado where I spent 18 days hiking and Mtb riding my longest day was 5.5 hours for 20 miles it was absolutely incredible. can't wait to go back.
I love riding any style of riding but I also sold my hybrid as I just found that I never rode it really. I only Mtb once or twice a month and I do about 250 to 500 per month on my road bike. Mtb miles are completely different short miles equal tough workouts. road biking you get into a rhythm and can go as far I want to. Mtb riding can be about lots of things but it's really great to be out in nature.
Old 07-13-19, 07:35 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
As thought, it’s sometimes easier to mt. bike in the colder months than road bike. If we don’t get snow, I’ll mt. bike all fall, winter and spring on days when I cannot motivate to road bike. Temps down to 20F or so are easier to tolerate on a mt. bike due to generally slower speed not causing as much wind chill, it’s usually warmer in wooded areas where it’s sheltered from the wind, plus an hour or 1-1/2 on the mt. bike is a great workout.
Old 07-14-19, 08:01 PM
Swanee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you!

Thanks for all the feedback. Going to rent one to start and see how it goes! Great feedback!
Old 07-16-19, 07:32 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Originally Posted by Swanee
Thanks for all the feedback. Going to rent one to start and see how it goes! Great feedback!
There are so many options now it's tough to pick a mountain bike unless you really know what you want. I'm 65 and over 200# so when I upgraded my mtb last year I chose an "enduro" style bike with long travel and 27.5 plus tires. It's not the easiest bike to climb with but the big tires and suspension helps with my lack of ability on rough descents. I think it's great fun.

If you're a small woman you will probably enjoy something as light as you can afford, especially if you aren't doing anything technical. I think fitting on a mountain bike is just as important as it is on a road bike. One of the women I ride with lucked into a super deal on a used bike (Stumpjumper) which came with carbon fiber wheels and other blingy parts and it fits her like a glove.

Please tell us about the rental bike experience.
Old 07-17-19, 07:00 AM
mikebelliott

Bikes: 2018 Norco Storm

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you have the opportunity, check out some local shops and see if they have any demo days or anything coming up. That way you can try a bike out and see what best suits you for your needs on trails.

If you're not looking at doing any of the jumps or anything, I'd suggest just taking your hybrid out on some flat, easier trails just to get a feel for trail riding. That way you'll also know if it's something that you're going to like or not.

My father made the switch from road biking to mountain biking at 56, and although he finds it different, he is having an all around blast riding some of the trails with me.

Happy peddling, pal!
Old 07-17-19, 08:27 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
I upgraded to a full suspension MTB this year because I wanted it and I had the cash...that said, my old MTB was perfectly good (gave it to my grandson) and my hybrid with a set of wider tires would have sufficed (in fact the Frankenscwhinn with 38 tires was what I started Trail riding on)...one fellow in our group rides his folder/hybrid with 28 tires. If you stay off the more advanced/technical trails, you may find your current bike is up to the task...at least until you see if you like it.

Obtw, the shops around here RENT MTBs...if your LBSs do as well, it is a great way to try out different models over a day or a weekend. I rented a high end road bike when I was trying to decide on a new one a couple of years ago. A great way to get one out and get away from the salesperson.
Old 07-17-19, 10:29 AM
Swanee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too hot this week

Go to rent a mountain bike next weekend. Going to be 97 Saturday so holding off but still looking forward to it
Old 07-17-19, 06:58 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I ride a lot of asphalt, gravel, and trails and I am always on the same bike. It's a MTB with fenders, lights, panniers and a rack. I average 12 miles a day unless it's raining. I'm not about looking good or trying to outdo anyone, I just like riding a bike and feeling the endorphins kick in. I'm pushing 70. To me a MTB is the most all purpose bike you can buy and they stand up better on trails than a road bike (that's a joke-I'm sure there are road bikes out there that are just as dependable as MTB on trails- Schwinn comes to mind haa) Good luck