Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Advice for hybrid choice: Trek FX Sport 5 or Specialized Crosstrail Elite Carbon?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Advice for hybrid choice: Trek FX Sport 5 or Specialized Crosstrail Elite Carbon?

Old 07-14-19, 03:40 PM
therhythm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had the same bike for 20 years: a 1998 GT Timberline. I love that bike. Have brought it on light trails (some small rocks, roots, dirt) but ride 75% paved (eg commuting, waterfront trails). I'm in my late 30s and looking for a modern upgrade -- something that'll also last me 15-20 years. But there's plenty I need to understand and catch up on. I read plenty of websites, visited some stores and got advice. I've landed on two options:

Specialized Crosstrail Elite Carbon (I had looked also at the Sirrus Elite Carbon, but wanted more choice to sometimes take an off-road path)

Trek FX Sport 5

I'd be grateful for any thoughts on these bikes, choosing between them, or options I should consider.
Old 07-15-19, 01:33 AM
harveya

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm also looking to buy a flat bar road bike with a carbon frame. I'd welcome feedback on the Trek FX Sport 5, the Specialized Crosstrail Elite Carbon, the Sirrus Elite Carbon, or other similar bikes.

I just turned 60 years old; I regularly go on 20-30 mile rides on somewhat hilly roads; I occasionally take 50 mile rides. I want flat handle bars for comfortable seating -- I'm more concerned about comfort than speed (my average speed is around 12 MPH).

What bike(s) would you recommend? Why?

Thanks!
Old 07-15-19, 12:26 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
For both of you, are you limiting it to the Trek FX Sport 5 because it's currently on sale at $1500 (i.e. that's how much you'd like to spend)?

I ask because when I was in the market two months ago it was MSRP $1899 and the FX S6 was $2099 and the Shimano 105 drove me to the FX S6 (and the fact that it was Memorial Day sale for $200 off and no tax at my LBS). The 105 is much closer to the Ultegra line than the lower lines (I can say that because I also just bought a 2018 Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra Di2 and the 105 feels remarkably close in terms of shifting performance--minus the electronic aspect). So when there's only a $200 or less difference I always recommend the S6 over the S5 for the 105 groupset.

But if you're both in the $1500 range, then there's now a huge price gap between the S5 and S6, so I'd recommend going with the S5.

Actually, depending on your size, I'd check out Canyon's Roadlite CF 7.0 which is on their July sale for $1299 and has the full 105 transmission. The only problem is that they only have limited sizes in stock now due to the sale.

I went to Carlsbad, CA in June and rode Canyons and they are legitimately very well made. I rode their Grail, Aeroad and Ultimate. All three bikes rode fantastically. And right now they have free shipping.
Old 07-15-19, 02:39 PM
harveya

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CarloM -- Thanks!
Old 07-15-19, 03:32 PM
therhythm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!

I could probably push the price to the FX S6. The Crosstrail Elite Carbon and FX S5 are the same price at my local shops (within $50) so I was looking at them as equivalent competition for what I am looking for in a hybrid.

Originally Posted by CarloM
For both of you, are you limiting it to the Trek FX Sport 5 because it's currently on sale at $1500 (i.e. that's how much you'd like to spend)?

I ask because when I was in the market two months ago it was MSRP $1899 and the FX S6 was $2099 and the Shimano 105 drove me to the FX S6 (and the fact that it was Memorial Day sale for $200 off and no tax at my LBS). The 105 is much closer to the Ultegra line than the lower lines (I can say that because I also just bought a 2018 Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra Di2 and the 105 feels remarkably close in terms of shifting performance--minus the electronic aspect). So when there's only a $200 or less difference I always recommend the S6 over the S5 for the 105 groupset.

But if you're both in the $1500 range, then there's now a huge price gap between the S5 and S6, so I'd recommend going with the S5.

Actually, depending on your size, I'd check out Canyon's Roadlite CF 7.0 which is on their July sale for $1299 and has the full 105 transmission. The only problem is that they only have limited sizes in stock now due to the sale.

I went to Carlsbad, CA in June and rode Canyons and they are legitimately very well made. I rode their Grail, Aeroad and Ultimate. All three bikes rode fantastically. And right now they have free shipping.
Old 07-15-19, 03:34 PM
therhythm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I initially was looking at the Specialized Sirrus Elite Carbon also, but decided to look at the Crosstrail because it seemed to be slightly more geared towards those times where I want to go off onto an unpaved path.
Old 07-15-19, 04:12 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by therhythm
Thanks!

I could probably push the price to the FX S6. The Crosstrail Elite Carbon and FX S5 are the same price at my local shops (within $50) so I was looking at them as equivalent competition for what I am looking for in a hybrid.
Honestly, when the price was much closer ($1899 on sale with LBS covering tax for Memorial Day for the S6 and $1499 normally for the Canyon Roadlite CF 7.0 + CA tax) I chose to buy the S6 to establish a relationship with my LBS (who also provided one year free adjustments from date of purchase).

If I were making the decision now ($2099+CA tax on S6 vs. $1299+CA tax free shipping Roadlite CF 7.0)...I'd probably buy the Roadlite. Keep in mind I very much like my S6. But riding Canyons in person really convinced me that they make great bikes at a lower price point due to being internet direct. The downside is that your LBS is unlikely to ever give you a break on maintenance/repair/upgrade costs. But at $800 difference...that's too much to ignore. And the Canyon has a full Shimano transmission including Shimano disc brakes, vs the Tektro that come with the S6.