Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

DS2 vs Crosstrail Disc

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

DS2 vs Crosstrail Disc

Old 07-21-19, 06:10 PM
DSJ13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DS2 vs Crosstrail Disc

Anyone compare these 2 bikes while shopping? Any comments on one vs the other? Similarly priced for 2019.
Old 07-22-19, 06:43 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Which one fits you better and feels better riding?

Get that one.

If they both fit and ride about the same....

Which one comes in a better color?

Get that one.
Old 07-22-19, 08:23 AM
DSJ13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Which one fits you better and feels better riding?

Get that one.

If they both fit and ride about the same....

Which one comes in a better color?

Get that one.
Point taken, just wasn't sure if there was any meaningful difference in components. Thanks
Old 07-22-19, 09:19 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by DSJ13
Point taken, just wasn't sure if there was any meaningful difference in components. Thanks
If you're looking at the models in the $600's then no.

They are comparable bikes designed to be competitors to each other at a similar price point.

The fit and feel may be different, and a bike that fits comfortably and is properly sized to your body is FAR more important than slightly better components on one or the other. Odds are you'll have to replace some of the stock components in the first 2000 miles anyway. Lower end parts go bad. That's not a knock on either. It's a good way to get an affordable bike up front that you can upgrade slightly when the stock parts blow out.

I have a 2017 Crosstrail. I've replaced the cassette, crank, chain, and bottom bracket FAR sooner than I should have needed to. But oh well. I replaced them all with higher quality parts that should last much longer. And I'm happy with the bike. So this is not to discourage you from getting either one. Either one is good entry level hybrid that gives you a nice platform to build on.

So go ride both. Pick the one that fits and feels better. The value of the fit and feel is better than the a bottom bracket that will last an extra 500 miles on the other one.

And if you can't tell the difference in the ride quality and overall comfort...favorite color and overall look of the bike is next on the list of what's important. If the bike looks cool and you love the color and how it looks, you'll be happier. (Assuming it fits well)
Old 07-22-19, 10:13 AM
DSJ13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Makes sense to me thanks.
Old 07-22-19, 08:23 PM
DSJ13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're looking at the models in the $600's then no.

They are comparable bikes designed to be competitors to each other at a similar price point.

The fit and feel may be different, and a bike that fits comfortably and is properly sized to your body is FAR more important than slightly better components on one or the other. Odds are you'll have to replace some of the stock components in the first 2000 miles anyway. Lower end parts go bad. That's not a knock on either. It's a good way to get an affordable bike up front that you can upgrade slightly when the stock parts blow out.

I have a 2017 Crosstrail. I've replaced the cassette, crank, chain, and bottom bracket FAR sooner than I should have needed to. But oh well. I replaced them all with higher quality parts that should last much longer. And I'm happy with the bike. So this is not to discourage you from getting either one. Either one is good entry level hybrid that gives you a nice platform to build on.

So go ride both. Pick the one that fits and feels better. The value of the fit and feel is better than the a bottom bracket that will last an extra 500 miles on the other one.

And if you can't tell the difference in the ride quality and overall comfort...favorite color and overall look of the bike is next on the list of what's important. If the bike looks cool and you love the color and how it looks, you'll be happier. (Assuming it fits well)
Any thoughts on the 'Brain fork' which has no lockout vs the suspension fork on the Trek which locks out?
Old 07-23-19, 08:09 AM
Skipjacks

Any thoughts on the 'Brain fork' which has no lockout vs the suspension fork on the Trek which locks out?
Mine was supposed to have it per the website description but didn't. Just came with the manual lockout. At first I was peeved.

After the first year I ride with it locked out about 98% of the time anyway and only unlock it on the rare occasion when I'm about to ride over some rocky short cut.

If you're going to be riding on pavement most of the time, the lockout is fine. You do not need suspension on half decent pavement. If your riding will be on bumpy poorly maintained pavement the suspension will help take the jarring impact off your hands a little. But it's not a high quality suspension fork on either bike. It's a mild shock absorber, not a "keep me in contact with the root filled dirt road" high end suspension fork.

The brain system is some doohicky in the fork that doesn't move with a mild impact but moves quickly with a hard sudden impact. So basically if you hit a crack in the sidewalk it's not enough force to let the suspension travel. If you hit a curb at 15 mph that impact is hard enough to move the fork and let it do it's suspension thing. The idea is that you don't want the fork to move if you are riding on level ground. It will absorb your pedaling power and be a big energy suck. By locking the fork out you are transferring more energy to the rear wheel which means you go faster.

To me the brain technology feels like something else that's likely to break. And it no longer seems work it to me. I ended up being happy the website was wrong and the 2017 Crosstail Disc didn't come with it.

In double hindsight, for riding paved roads which I do 98% of the time with this bike I would have opted for the Specialized Sirrus, which is a very similar bike to the Crosstrail but with a rigid front fork. It's lighter, won't break, and I don't use the suspension fork anyway. In fact, I've been trying to convince myself to spend $100 on a rigid replacement fork and remove the suspension fork altogether.

So to answer your question....no. I don't think the brain tech is worth it. I don't think the suspension fork in general is worth it.
Old 07-23-19, 08:39 AM
DSJ13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine was supposed to have it per the website description but didn't. Just came with the manual lockout. At first I was peeved.

After the first year I ride with it locked out about 98% of the time anyway and only unlock it on the rare occasion when I'm about to ride over some rocky short cut.

If you're going to be riding on pavement most of the time, the lockout is fine. You do not need suspension on half decent pavement. If your riding will be on bumpy poorly maintained pavement the suspension will help take the jarring impact off your hands a little. But it's not a high quality suspension fork on either bike. It's a mild shock absorber, not a "keep me in contact with the root filled dirt road" high end suspension fork.

The brain system is some doohicky in the fork that doesn't move with a mild impact but moves quickly with a hard sudden impact. So basically if you hit a crack in the sidewalk it's not enough force to let the suspension travel. If you hit a curb at 15 mph that impact is hard enough to move the fork and let it do it's suspension thing. The idea is that you don't want the fork to move if you are riding on level ground. It will absorb your pedaling power and be a big energy suck. By locking the fork out you are transferring more energy to the rear wheel which means you go faster.

To me the brain technology feels like something else that's likely to break. And it no longer seems work it to me. I ended up being happy the website was wrong and the 2017 Crosstail Disc didn't come with it.

In double hindsight, for riding paved roads which I do 98% of the time with this bike I would have opted for the Specialized Sirrus, which is a very similar bike to the Crosstrail but with a rigid front fork. It's lighter, won't break, and I don't use the suspension fork anyway. In fact, I've been trying to convince myself to spend $100 on a rigid replacement fork and remove the suspension fork altogether.

So to answer your question....no. I don't think the brain tech is worth it. I don't think the suspension fork in general is worth it.
Yea I have been riding the crosstrail with brain fork and noticed when pedaling standing up the suspension will compress. I guess it thinks it’s hitting larger bumps in the pavement.

Perhaps a sirrus with fatter tires tires is a better option.
Old 07-23-19, 09:17 AM
Skipjacks

Perhaps a sirrus with fatter tires tires is a better option.
In hindsight I wish I would have done exactly that. Gone with the Sirrus and put fatter tires on it. (Though the Sirrus didn't come in any colors I liked that year....everything looked like an old bike with a 70's paint scheme......and my gunmetal grey Crosstraill with the red accents looks awesome...so that's a fair trade off)

The Sirrus comes with 35mm tires I think. The Crosstrail comes with tires marked 38mm (though the Trigger Sport tires the Crosstrail comes with inflate to something close to 41mm after some break in) Now I run a tire that inflates to an honest 39mm now and am very happy with that for a commuter on pavement.

But it depends on how you want to ride this bike. If you want to do a fire trail or anything that's rough and bumpy, even a low end suspension fork can be useful for taking the vibrations off your hands and wrists a little bit. Just don't try to run a true off road adventure trail where you need a good suspension to keep you in contact with the ground as a cheap spring suspension fork will be massively under powered. If you want to do that kind of riding a hybrid just isn't the right bike. If you want to ride around town and maybe take a dirt path across a field once in a while a hybrid is a great low cost option.

As for the brain fork....if it's compressing when you are standing on the pedals, that's bad. If you are standing on the pedals it's because you need extra power to the wheels. Usually when going up hill. That's the last time you want power being absorbed by the suspension fork. That is counter productive.

Last edited by Skipjacks; 07-23-19 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-24-19, 12:39 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
I test-rode a Crosstrail before buying my Roam, and I didn't like how the Brain fork worked. I wanted a manual lockout, and I have my suspension fork set with pretty low preload. So when the fork is unlocked, it provides a pretty compliant ride. When it's locked, it's obviously locked and not moving. I estimate that I ride locked/unlocked 50/50. And I have 650B wheels on it with 47mm tires (labeled...50mm actual). Even larger, supple tires are not a substitute for suspension on some surfaces, at least for my preference. I appreciate the ability to keep it locked when I want, and unlock it for a soft ride when I want that.

If I bought a rigid bike (like a Sirrus), I'd probably look closely at one with a carbon fork. The lower-end ones will have an aluminum fork, which will ride very stiff, and transmit a lot of road buzz into the handlebar, even with larger tires.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 07-24-19, 01:53 PM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I test-rode a Crosstrail before buying my Roam, and I didn't like how the Brain fork worked. I wanted a manual lockout, and I have my suspension fork set with pretty low preload. So when the fork is unlocked, it provides a pretty compliant ride. When it's locked, it's obviously locked and not moving. I estimate that I ride locked/unlocked 50/50. And I have 650B wheels on it with 47mm tires (labeled...50mm actual). Even larger, supple tires are not a substitute for suspension on some surfaces, at least for my preference. I appreciate the ability to keep it locked when I want, and unlock it for a soft ride when I want that.

If I bought a rigid bike (like a Sirrus), I'd probably look closely at one with a carbon fork. The lower-end ones will have an aluminum fork, which will ride very stiff, and transmit a lot of road buzz into the handlebar, even with larger tires.
What he said.