Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Ultimate (hopefully) Raleigh Grand Prix thread.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Ultimate (hopefully) Raleigh Grand Prix thread.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-10, 11:05 AM
StabbageCycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got a Raleigh Record for cheap. I'm using its front wheel to replace the taco'd wheel on my Grand Prix.

I see that it also has a Suntour GT rear derailleur. Is it worth replacing the GP's Simplex derailleur with it?
Old 07-12-10, 05:32 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by StabbageCycle
I see that it also has a Suntour GT rear derailleur. Is it worth replacing the GP's Simplex derailleur with it?
Refer to Disraeli Gears for a write-up on the GT - and consider too that the Simplex shift quality is actually pretty good -

Their MAIN problem with reliability has to do more with breaking pulleys than anything. I have been told that you can install some Suntour or Bullseye pulleys on your Simplex, and obviate even that issue.
Old 07-16-10, 09:13 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
For all you grand prix lovers, here is one on Ebay, you might be interested..
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220636702499

Old 07-16-10, 09:40 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
This one just wandered in to WHWR (Wahoonc's Home for Wayward Raleighs) It appears to be an early to mid 80's Canadian built model, sold from a bike shop in Ottawa, ON. Byshe Roe?

Any ideas on the actual year?

A bit of the back story; it had sat at the local bicycle charity for 2-3 years and no one wanted it, a youngster at the LBS got it with the idea of converting it to a fixie, but was turned off by the rust on the lugs. I was in the LBS yesterday picking up a bunch of parts I had ordered in for other projects, and the shop manager comes out with it and hands it over. He knows I like old bikes in general and British bikes in particular, that is the third one in the past year or so. If I don't rescue them they will be tossed in the dumpster.

Not sure what I am going to do with it, for now it will get hung in the back of the shed.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon

Last edited by wahoonc; 07-16-10 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-30-10, 07:07 PM
lineskinner

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Grand Prix, Santa Cruz Heckler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey rdrk, I have the same bike. I know it's a 1986 Raleigh USA Grand Prix 12 speed manufactured in Taiwan with Shimano components. That's all I know. Would you have more information on which Shimano components, size ETC.? I'm new to the forum and just started riding the other day. I've been searching the net, I see pictures of it, but no information. My Serial is 6CN066 M. I don't know what the M stands for. I don't think it's for Malaysia. Mine has a sticker that says Manufactured in Taiwan. I did some research on the components on the 1986 team USA Grand Prix and they are Shimano 105 Golden Arrow.

Last edited by lineskinner; 08-01-10 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-30-10, 08:27 PM
kh6idf

Bikes: Cervelo RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode a blue Grand Prix (1972-1973?) during high school and college. Never let me down and it was a nice riding bike. I eventually replaced the steel rims and crankset with aluminum as well as changing to a smaller sprocket with a tighter gear range. Those Weinmann brakes were pretty good too.
Old 07-31-10, 07:00 AM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
Sauze - condolences from all your C&V pals on the theft of your bikes.

Aside, here is an offering on eBay. It is the first truly NOS item I’ve seen.
- From 1979,,,,

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

NOS LATE 70'S RALEIGH SUPER GRAND PRIX RACING BICYCLE
Starting bid:US $9.99

New Old Stock! been in the box since 1979! Rare color "Super Grand Prix" made by "Raleigh in England"!! Still in the original wrapper with owners manual still attached! Oh yes in mint condition! do not see any nicks or scratches or damage! Just needs some light cleaning (that will be fun!) and assembly and you will have one of the nicest road bikes in the world! Comes with orig box too! I was told this is a high end bike with hand made frame and very collectible. I am not an expert on these so I posted lots of large pictures! ----- Starting out low with NO RESERVE! so bid to win! Where else can you get a brand new over 30 yr. old Raleigh bicycle made in "Birmingham"? ----- Email with any Q's ----- Very careful packing of the original box put into another box USA will be $75.00 fedex ground oversized rate on east coast and $95.00 west coast. ---- We will ship to Canada and UK in two boxes, priority air mail, email for rate. ---- Be sure to check out our other auctions and 100% feedback too!
This is the bike my Wife bought for me as a birthday present. I showed her the ebay listing and mentioned how nice it would be to have an NOS bike. She's great....wife is too.

Mike
Old 09-21-10, 01:23 AM
funkflex
"Shake n Bake!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picked this 86 Grand Prix up yesterday. It was set up for triathlons but has some cool bits.

-Sakae Litage Fx fork
-Cinelli stem
-Cinelli Bars
-Suntour Superbe Pro Cranks
-Mks Ole Pedals
-Campy seat post
-Shimano 105 derailleurs
-Wolber Super Champion Alpine rims

Last edited by funkflex; 09-21-10 at 01:36 AM.
Old 09-21-10, 09:09 AM
sauze

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That's a damn fine Grand Prix, didn't realize any of them were that well equipped (wish mine was 531 ) now that I've got the fenders and everything on my SGP I'm going to give it a big clean / polish and finally take some decent pictures.
Old 09-21-10, 09:56 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I like it, too. That's from the mid-80's era of Raleigh USA (not England) sold by Huffy and made in either Taiwan or Japan. They were good bikes but not related to the English bikes. They were actually better but don't evoke the same sentimentality. The only thing in common was the model names.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-21-10, 10:05 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I like it, too. That's from the mid-80's era of Raleigh USA (not England) sold by Huffy and made in either Taiwan or Japan. They were good bikes but not related to the English bikes. They were actually better but don't evoke the same sentimentality. The only thing in common was the model names.
Kurt would know, but I think that bike was actually made in Washington state, USA. Right?
Old 09-21-10, 11:38 AM
funkflex
"Shake n Bake!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
Kurt would know, but I think that bike was actually made in Washington state, USA. Right?
Correct. Looking at the 1986 Raleigh catalog on The Headbadge, it says that the company moved to Seattle, Washington that year to continue the production of bikes in the USA.
Old 09-21-10, 11:46 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Wow, impressive. How long did that last? I can't imagine there's been much mass production of bikes in the US since then.

Tom

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-13-10, 01:31 PM
Uri Avihay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi All,

I am thinking of getting the following bike:

https://www.yad2.co.il/Yad2/ViewImage...&SalesCatID=14

https://www.yad2.co.il/Yad2/ViewImage...CatID=14&Pic=1

Does anybody know whether the silver model (1977) was made in Nottingham or also other locations?

Thanks a lot,

Uri
Old 11-13-10, 05:34 PM
greengage

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Timely resurrection of this thread--I just bought a Grand Prix last week and am pretty smitten. It's a ladies' model, white lugged frame, has a sticker on it that says something like 1970-71 World Champion Sprint, so I'm guessing it's a '71. It's newly tuned up, nice old Wrights saddle on it, rides beautifully and compared to my beloved old steel three speeds, it feels as light as a feather. I'll post some pics when I have them.
Old 11-14-10, 07:52 AM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by Uri Avihay
Hi All,

I am thinking of getting the following bike:

https://www.yad2.co.il/Yad2/ViewImage...&SalesCatID=14

https://www.yad2.co.il/Yad2/ViewImage...CatID=14&Pic=1

Does anybody know whether the silver model (1977) was made in Nottingham or also other locations?

Thanks a lot,

Uri
Hi Uri - And welcome to C&V. I don't know the answer to your question but probably someone here does. All I know is that prior to 77, GP's were made in both Holland and Nottingham. The Dutch bikes carry a sticker saying where they were made. By 77 Raleigh went to a cotterless crank and a Raleigh branded Suntour DR - so this could be considered a plus on this bike. The pictures you link to are pretty poor though, so I can't say much more.
Old 11-14-10, 12:53 PM
Uri Avihay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Uri - And welcome to C&V. I don't know the answer to your question but probably someone here does. All I know is that prior to 77, GP's were made in both Holland and Nottingham. The Dutch bikes carry a sticker saying where they were made. By 77 Raleigh went to a cotterless crank and a Raleigh branded Suntour DR - so this could be considered a plus on this bike. The pictures you link to are pretty poor though, so I can't say much more.
Hello and thanks a lot,

Please see some pics, what do u think of the bike?

does it worth 250 USD ? , I do not know the prices range for the bike.

https://img219.imageshack.us/img219/2328/12130517.jpg

https://img691.imageshack.us/img691/7074/12060784.jpg

https://img201.imageshack.us/img201/7105/84304694.jpg

https://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8053/79195569.jpg
Old 11-14-10, 01:31 PM
auchencrow

... what do u think of the bike?

does it worth 250 USD ? , I do not know the prices range for the bike.

Uri - I take it you're not located in the States, so my extrapolating a price for your market would be without any merit whatsoever.

I can tell you that most people consider the GP to be a decent entry level road bike: Around here, I would say they get about $75 for the usual 1970's example (needing tires cables etc), and up to $175 for a clean, ready to ride specimen.

Personally, I consider the Grand Prix to be a good intermediate level bike - provided that you upgrade to alloy wheels. With that, I like the ride ( I was out on mine this morning) and I like their classic styling as well, so this is a bike I'd recommend to anyone.

Good luck shopping to you !
Old 11-14-10, 01:47 PM
auchencrow

I just realized I never posted my White Gazelle-made '73 Grand Prix: I bought it as a raw frame and assembled it, mostly from parts I already had. (The fork was an unoriginal all-chrome job, so I painted it to match.)

Old 11-15-10, 03:20 AM
Uri Avihay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uri - I take it you're not located in the States, so my extrapolating a price for your market would be without any merit whatsoever.

I can tell you that most people consider the GP to be a decent entry level road bike: Around here, I would say they get about $75 for the usual 1970's example (needing tires cables etc), and up to $175 for a clean, ready to ride specimen.

Personally, I consider the Grand Prix to be a good intermediate level bike - provided that you upgrade to alloy wheels. With that, I like the ride ( I was out on mine this morning) and I like their classic styling as well, so this is a bike I'd recommend to anyone.

Good luck shopping to you !

Thanks again,

However, how much these bikes running in the US? considering the bikes are well maintained and looks good.

250-300 USD sounds pretty expensive nope?
Old 11-15-10, 06:55 AM
auchencrow

Thanks again,

However, how much these bikes running in the US? considering the bikes are well maintained and looks good.

250-300 USD sounds pretty expensive nope?
Yes, $250 is too expensive for the US.
$175 would be about the top price, unless you live in some crazy local market. On the other hand, with a little patience and persistence, you can happen upon a decent one for a mere $75 or so, in need of some freshening.
- And if you are really lucky, you might even find a nice one at some garage sale for a song. (There were a lot of these sold here during the bike boom, and I think this is part of the reason why some people don't regard them so highly.)
Old 11-15-10, 08:22 AM
gbalke

Bikes: (3) 1970's Raleigh Sports, (1) 1968 Robin Hood 3 speed, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1969 Peugeot UO-18, 1971 Peugeot UO-08, 1980 Giant road bike, 1954 Humber, 1940ish Hercules Popular, 1963 Dunelt, 2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I was able to find my '74 Grand Prix through the local Craigslist ad, being sold by the original owner. I paid $50 for the bike, which only needed a light cleaning before I took it for my first ride. I consider myself lucky to fing such a sweet ride for a small amount of money; but anything over $100 her would be too much IMO.

Old 11-15-10, 08:45 AM
GrantH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First post here, but this is my newly acquired "Super Grand Prix". It's not my size, but it works for campus. I'm trying to find a trade for this, i'd love a mixte. Anyways, now you guys know what i'm riding. I did 5 miles 2 days ago and my hands were killin' me with the lack of bar tape and i'm sure it wasn't the best setup for me.
Old 11-17-10, 04:38 PM
rar83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
photo (1)..jpg

This is my 1977 Grand Prix. It was my Dad's bike in college, very well used at that time but then sat in the garage for 25 years.

Even though I have a much more modern aluminum road bike I still use this one for my short commute and to get around town.

I would probably convert it to a fixed gear/SS if I had the knowledge. It will probably never be restored, every part is really worn. Looks pretty nice in the picture for some reason.
Old 11-17-10, 04:59 PM
brockd15 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
I sold this one a couple months ago for $150, which seemed pretty fair. And Auchen, great job on matching the fork...are you going to line the lugs to match the headtube?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.