Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Alternative to a kickstand?

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Old 06-04-08, 11:44 AM
RoadRanger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm taking a 15 yo mountain bike and making a utilty out of it. I brought my first load back yesterday and the biggest problem was getting the bike to not fall over while you are loading it . The stock kickstand is pretty wimpy and unstable anyways so I was wondering what all you all are using for a stand? As I'm putting on a Wald 535 dual rear basket soon I'm thinking of cutting down a couple kickstands and mounting them torwards the outside of the two rear baskets to get a wide stance?
Old 06-04-08, 11:56 AM
Allen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
https://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1034

Pletscher Double legged kickstand

Hebie Kickstand

https://click-stand.com/

I have a Pletscher, it works quite well. The Hebie is carried in the US by a board member, and the Click-Stand is made by a board member. I also have a click-stand. You have to lock your front brake with a rubberband around the brake lever, but it is more stable than the Pletscher.
Old 06-04-08, 12:25 PM
RoadRanger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! I also found this one that might be more in line with my "cheap" concept .
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AO9Z7K
Old 06-04-08, 04:45 PM
moore.sean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good find on that pyramid center stand, although my future order from niagra just went up by $22... gee, thanks!
Old 06-04-08, 07:15 PM
vey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the Pyramid Pro. It is made from aluminum and does a pretty good job.
Old 06-04-08, 11:05 PM
RoadRanger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AllenG
The Hebie is carried in the US by a board member,
I found a reference to his website being https://www.bikefront.com but it seems to be down/gone?
Old 06-05-08, 12:31 AM
Allen

^^^
https://www.ucycle.com/
The Urbane Cyclist in Toronto carries Hebie too.
Old 06-05-08, 09:41 AM
Eli_Damon

Bikes: Miyata touring bike, Xtracycle, Montague DX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Several intersting options are discussed on the xtracycle forums (https://xtracycle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=150). However, I don't know how to get them. Permaco, the Hebie distributor, says it's out of stock and I have not found a Goldstar distributor.
Old 06-20-08, 06:31 PM
RoadRanger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just put on the Pyramid alloy double kickstand - very light and more stable than I thought it would be. Big improvement over stock. Only issue is now the front tire is off the ground and gravity swivels it around backwards. Maybe tighten the bearing up a bit? Spring load it straight somehow? When I put the front basket on I'll see if I can't come up with a "fix". Anyways two thumbs up for sure!
Old 06-20-08, 10:34 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
You may find your answer here
Old 06-21-08, 09:47 AM
RoadRanger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_E
You may find your answer here
Thanks, looks like it would be easy to fab up an "ugly" version to test it out. I was originally thinking of something similar on top but underneath out of the way makes more sense now that I've seen it! Kinda poor that nobody is being serious about selling Hebie products in North America.
Old 06-21-08, 10:10 AM
Allen

Originally Posted by RoadRanger
Kinda poor that nobody is being serious about selling Hebie products in North America.
https://ucycle.com/components/item.php?name=hebie_intro

Old 06-21-08, 06:29 PM
RoadRanger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They say: "Please check our website for further prices and more details at a later date. In the mean time, if you really must have them, please call or email us for prices and details." Been that way for a while I think? Doesn't look like they are serious about it to me .
Old 06-21-08, 07:15 PM
santiago

Bikes: 2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They say: "Please check our website for further prices and more details at a later date. In the mean time, if you really must have them, please call or email us for prices and details." Been that way for a while I think? Doesn't look like they are serious about it to me .
From what I understand they are a real LBS and not a pure online venture. For something like a Hebie product, it would be worthwhile to call them. I will likely do that soon as I need a better kickstand for my Big Dummy and would like to know if there's anything they can recommend.
Old 06-21-08, 08:10 PM
RoadRanger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, let us know how you make out! I'd be suprised if the Hebie double kickstand is any better than the Pyramid Pro (a.k.a. Kalloy?). It is light and well made - I'm happy with it. You should see if they can get that spring contraption too?
Old 06-21-08, 08:39 PM
Allen

It has been call to order for a while, but I had no problem getting a Chain Glider from them last year.
They are primarily a brick and mortar LBS, the net store is a secondary venture.
Old 06-21-08, 10:01 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
All Hebie products are from Europe. It would not surprise me if a shop doesn't want to fix prices on a website on account of the volatility of the US Dollar.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 06-22-08, 07:53 AM
RoadRanger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb
All Hebie products are from Europe. It would not surprise me if a shop doesn't want to fix prices on a website on account of the volatility of the US Dollar.
I'm sure most (all?) of the products they carry are "from" a different country - and they have prices for those. "Serious" to me means stocking and retailing on their website at least a few of the products? These guys (https://hebieusa.com/) claim to be the North and South American distributor for Hebie and also retail a few of their products on their website - but not the double kickstand or steering stabilizer unfortunately .
Old 06-22-08, 09:16 AM
dinges
General Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's one stand I haven't seen mentioned yet in this thread. It's the classic stand that can be found on older 'oma fietsen' (granny bikes).

These pictures aren't the best but are the only ones I managed to find quickly:

standaard.jpg

standaard_3.jpg

The stand is basically a U-shaped tube that rotates around the wheel. In upward position it's at the luggage rack. It can be rotated downward till it's under the wheel. ('locking' is by means of gravity, over-center lock)

These are a bit narrow but it shouldn't be too hard to build a wider one or modify one.

https://www.halfords.nl/NL/Fiets/Cata...oductId=707529

They're for sale over here, but if I wanted a stand like that for one of my bikes I'd probably build something myself, or modify a stand so it became a bit wider so as to increase stability.
Old 06-22-08, 12:44 PM
RoadRanger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Available here for $15:
https://www.bikeworldusa.com/product_...roducts_id/101
Old 06-29-08, 08:28 PM
crazybikerchick

Bikes: Devinci Caribou, Kona Dew Plus, Raleigh Twenty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in there in person looking at the Hebie kickstands and found them quite pricey - different models varied in price but IIRC most were $50-60 Cdn=approx same US.

I ended up getting a Greenfield rear stabilizer kickstand that mounts at two points - in a triangle across the chain stay/seat stay. It worked extremely well for a fully loaded touring bike. I believe it cost me $27 Cdn but looks like it is available cheaper in the US.
Old 06-20-19, 11:39 PM
Stevie Blue

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Small frame clip

My Bianchi limited had a small clip that was attached to the the bottom of the down tube. It pulled downward between the down tube and front tire. It barely weighed anything. It stabilized the front wheel to lean against anything. It worked like a charm. I can't seem to find them anywhere for my other bike. Maybe an LBS may have one.
Old 06-21-19, 08:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
You can Best prepare for mounting a Pletscher Double legged kickstand, by removing the BB

plugging the chainstays , filling the part of the chainstay where the kickstand will go, with epoxy putty ,

so the act of tightening the kickstand mounting bolt won't deform the chainstay tube.. ..