Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Introduction to the Road Cycling Forum

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Introduction to the Road Cycling Forum

Old 07-24-09, 10:53 PM
garysol1 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Look for a bike with a frame size around 61cm.....
Old 07-27-09, 10:45 AM
TTU16

Bikes: Felt F-80

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ciglett
Thanks for the quick response!

The reason I don't want to shell out is that I'm trying to avoid being the guy that spends $1200 and rides 10 miles. Basically, I'm really not sure I'll enjoy long term road biking.

BUT! Since posting, I think I may have found a solution. I FINALLY found a used bike store that repairs and rebuilds all kinds of bikes. They say most bikes sell for $150-$250 and have a pretty high level of quality. I'm going tomorrow, and if I can find a really tall frame, I might be in luck!
I guess if you do enough research and know what your getting into, there is craigslist to get a decent bike cheap (maybe).
Old 07-27-09, 11:57 AM
buhemith_780

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello All Hope you can help me with this. I just bought a Trek 1000 from the year 2000 and would like to switch the fork over to a threadless type is this possible on that frame and if so what fork/headset should i be looking at. this bike is a pre carbon time and it is not an inset headset.

Also do they make caps for over the mounts for down tube shifters as i am going to be using new leaver shifters?

Thanks
Old 07-28-09, 02:45 PM
dsx724
Enthusiastic Goon

Bikes: Rolling on dubz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Noobtastic question: What are flattened chainstays on carbon fiber bikes for?
Old 07-28-09, 02:45 PM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Engineers and marketers think it increases lateral stiffness and vertical compliance.
Old 07-28-09, 06:28 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bdcheung
Engineers and marketers think it increases lateral stiffness and vertical compliance.
I thought it was so they can squeeze on narrow Q-factor cranks and because it's more aero
Old 07-28-09, 08:33 PM
iron.wren

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm pretty new to cycling, i rode on a bike as a kid but now i just picked up my first road bike, i have a mtb that i basically got from a guy who never used it and wanted to get rid of so we gave him 100. I barely rode it and rode it only on the road, so i wanted to find a road bike. I found a 2001 Trek 1400 that was around my size and bought it for 400. I want to get riding but what should i shoot for when starting out. I'm guessing consistency of days of just riding and not going for a certain amount of time or mileage. Just riding and enjoying being on a bike. I have what i need for right now. The bike came with clipless pedals and shoes only worn about 3x which were my size. I swithced the pedals to toe clips so i could get comfortable on a bike and shifting. Any other suggestions to a beginner. I take it to take it easy and get used to a bike and get riding. When is the best time to ride when first starting out? I live in a town of about 5,000.

Last edited by iron.wren; 07-29-09 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-29-09, 03:35 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
^

just ride and enjoy.

as far when is the best time - some people like mornings, some the afternoon, some the evening - that's pretty much up to you.
Old 07-29-09, 11:38 AM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
rush hour can get interesting, avoid those hours if possible.
Old 07-29-09, 04:58 PM
Diesel-CAAD9

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to cycling and picked up a CAAD9-7 about 10 days ago. My question is should I have spent the extra $400-500 for the 5...? Are the components on the 5 that much better...?

Also when shifting is there a proper technique...? Seems alot of times I have to hit the lever twice to get it to change gear. Should I hold the lever until the gear change is achieved or what?

I'm having buyers remorse cause I feel I should have gone with a bike with better components. Hopefully the comps on the 7 are ok though. Like I said I'm new so I don't know the differences at this point.

I really like riding though and have done about 30 miles over the last 3 days and feel this will stick.
Old 07-29-09, 05:06 PM
Diesel-CAAD9

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The saddles that come on the CAAD9 seem pretty hard to. Is that typical...? It's not "uncomfortable" but the longest I've gone was 11.5 miles so far.

Is there a consensus on the best saddle for comfort and performance...? I'm going in to fine tune my setup and would like to pick up a saddle beforehand if the San Marco is a ho hum piece.

I'm 6' 210 lbs at this point but am not "fat". Just a big guy that lifts weights.
Old 07-30-09, 10:55 AM
sicou2
Enjoys that "feeling"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Medium Size Frame means what?

I have tried searching google and have had no luck, but what does a "Medium" size frame equate to? I think I have found the bike I have been looking for but... this "medium" size is really throwing me. Thanks!
Old 07-30-09, 11:00 AM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It depends on the manufacturer and model.

What bike are you looking at?
Old 07-30-09, 11:07 AM
sicou2
Enjoys that "feeling"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is an '08 Fuji Newest 3.0. Thanks again.
Old 07-30-09, 11:09 AM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1) Google "2008 fuji bikes" -> https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...q=f&oq=&aqi=g1
2) Click first link -> https://www.fujibikes.com/News-Reviews/News/2008.aspx
3) Navigate to Newest 3.0 -> https://www.fujibikes.com/Road/Sport/Newest30.aspx
4) Look at geometry chart
5) Medium = 50cm seat tube, 54.5cm top tube.
Old 07-30-09, 11:12 AM
sicou2
Enjoys that "feeling"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful! Thanks for dashing my hopes again! Way to small.
Old 07-30-09, 06:40 PM
peddlinski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and new to road bikes but I've done quite a bit of mtn biking in the past. I just bought this bike(https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...ad/2266/32193/) because it's all I can afford right now. I kind of wanted something with better components but I couldn't wait to raise up the extra cash to buy a better equipped bike. Basically I wanted to start riding asap so I bought a cheaper bike so I could start riding sooner. I have used the search function here to find related threads but there are ALOT of threads here and it gets confusing. My question is what should be my firsts upgrades? Wheels(I weigh 200 pounds), rear derealler, shiflers? I was thinking I might upgrade my entire group this winter. What are some safe online places to buy the parts I need? I see some good deals on ebay but I'm not sure whats safe and whats not. I'm loving my new bike btw!

Thanks,

Gregg

Last edited by peddlinski; 07-30-09 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-30-09, 06:58 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Just ride and let breakage dictate your upgrades for the first year.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 07-30-09, 11:11 PM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chipcom
just ride and let breakage dictate your upgrades for the first year.
+1000
Old 08-03-09, 08:17 AM
rrooster

Bikes: Motobecane Messenger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm pretty new to road cycling- so new in fact that I don't have a bike yet, I've been riding ssfg and posting there for about a year. I tried searching the forum, but I couldn't find any mention of it, so here's my query:

one of the shops here in Philly has a 2008 Giant TCR C2 in my size, and I've kind of got my eyes on it as a graduation/birthday/hanukkah present. Anyone here ride one or can give me any info, or comparison to my other two choices should someone else buy it first?

The other two bikes I'm contemplating if it gets sold before the money's available: Trek 2.3 and Specialized Allez Elite (or Comp for 2010, since its the same model apparently), any comparisons/thoughts worth taking into account besides the dominant frame material and difference in groupo? I'm 6'4" and ride a 61-63 depending on manufacture, and I weigh between 190-195.

Edit: also looking at the Felt F-75.

Last edited by rrooster; 08-03-09 at 09:02 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 08-04-09, 06:28 AM
terminal 37

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I am looking at buying my first serious road bike, and have about 1200 $ to spend. What are the common suggestions for bikes in this price range?
Thanks

Old 08-04-09, 06:42 AM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by terminal 37
I am looking at buying my first serious road bike, and have about 1200 $ to spend. What are the common suggestions for bikes in this price range?
Thanks

At that price range you will be looking at very similar bikes from all of the big manufactures. They will be aluminum frame with a carbon fork. At that price make sure what ever bike your looking at has 105 shifters and deraileurs. Not knowing exactly what you want to do with the bike makes recommending a particular model is impossible. Find a good local shop and tell the sales person what you have to spend and what you want the bike to do and they should be able to point you in the correct direction. Also make sure the store will include a fit with the bike to insure that you are as comfortable as possible. Keep in mind accessory's as well when looking at your budget......Shoes and pedals, computer, water bottles and cages....
Old 08-04-09, 02:05 PM
FlatSix911

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by terminal 37
Thanks
Have you considered buying a bike on-line?

For the same price of a basic Aluminum frame you can order a full Carbon frame with a nice component group. Go to your local bike shop and get your proper fit and frame size, then place your order for a bike on-line. Let the LBS know that you will be buying all of your accessories and tune ups from them - you may even want to have them assemble the bike for you.

Here are a few suggestions in the $1.200 price range:

Good luck

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._08_carbon.htm

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._08_carbon.htm

Old 08-06-09, 12:57 PM
tombailey
awaiting uci approval

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix RC 06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=FlatSix911;9419330]Have you considered buying a bike on-line?

I'm not too anti-BD, but the only time it is almost certainly a bad option is for your first bike.
Old 08-06-09, 05:48 PM
terminal 37

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Thanks for the info garysol1.

Flatsix, thanks for the info - but after paying shipping, tax, duty, etc. it might end up costing me a lot more (I forgot to mention I'm from Canada). I will still consider it though.

And yes this is my first road bike; might go to a Specialized dealer tomorrow and see what the have to offer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.