Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-18, 07:42 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy

I just noticed the Sunshine Cycle Shop tag on the seat stay - Mike McMillan and his crew are great guys, and that shop has been around for a long, loooong time.
Old 01-08-18, 07:56 AM
microcord

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 52 Posts
That Miyata Le Mans

Originally Posted by tiredhands
Turns out there’s a bicycle junkyard here in town. It was a dangerous discovery. Mostly Huffys and American Flyers, but there are some gems in there in varying states of decay.

First haul: 1989 Cannondale SR400, 1979 Miyata Lemans Course, and a Schwinn Mesa Runner. The Miyata is neat, as far as I can tell it’s from Japan, made for the Japanese market.

That Miyata is the identical twin of a friend's bike. Hers has a serial number that dates it to 1979. It's her first old bike, and she loves it. Incidentally, Le Mans (or as it appeared on the frames, LeMANS) was a brand that Miyata used in Japan for a number of years, for anything from touring bikes to criterium bikes. (Perhaps track bikes too, for all I know.)
Old 01-08-18, 11:10 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
Crappy pic, but oh well:

'85 Cannondale ST500. All original except the seat. I have one stashed away for it.
I have no idea what's up the aero bars on an ST. They're already gone.
Old 01-10-18, 02:55 AM
oldlugs

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Not a bike but three sets of 27" wheels.
These were atop of a trash pile on my way home from work last night. Two are serated edge steel rims, one set is clearly marked Rigida, the other just says Made in France. The third set is newer, Quando hubs and Araya alloy single wall rims. All have good tires and tubes and are perfectly true. I can't figure why anyone would just throw them away. They each have string tied to them and years of dust as if they were hanging somewhere for decades. The rest of the trash pile was just junk furniture, the press board kind.

The set with the red label IRC tires are most likely from an old Peugeot UO8 or similar, the other pair of rims are older. The hubs are dated on the first pair as being 1977.

I'm glad I got them before some scrap guy happened along.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0109181642-00.jpg (228.7 KB, 447 views)
0109181642-01.jpg (222.4 KB, 446 views)
0109181643-00.jpg (228.7 KB, 452 views)
Old 01-10-18, 08:11 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by nesteel
Crappy pic, but oh well:

'85 Cannondale ST500. All original except the seat. I have one stashed away for it.
i just pulled a set of aero bars like that off a 912 miyata. anybody needs that sort of thing please contact me.
Old 01-10-18, 10:07 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by oldlugs
Not a bike but three sets of 27" wheels.
These were atop of a trash pile on my way home from work last night. Two are serated edge steel rims, one set is clearly marked Rigida, the other just says Made in France. The third set is newer, Quando hubs and Araya alloy single wall rims. All have good tires and tubes and are perfectly true. I can't figure why anyone would just throw them away. They each have string tied to them and years of dust as if they were hanging somewhere for decades. The rest of the trash pile was just junk furniture, the press board kind.

The set with the red label IRC tires are most likely from an old Peugeot UO8 or similar, the other pair of rims are older. The hubs are dated on the first pair as being 1977.

I'm glad I got them before some scrap guy happened along.
Nice save! What are the hub sets? Are the spokes SS? Even if you don't use them on builds they will make good rolling project wheels.
Old 01-10-18, 12:38 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 1,005 Times in 514 Posts
Originally Posted by nesteel
Crappy pic, but oh well:

Back in the 1980s, when triathlons started getting popular, there weren't tri-specific bikes. Most of the athletes were runners first, so they didn't know the differences between touring, sport touring, and race bikes. They just used whatever bike they had available. Anything with drop handlebars was a "racing bike". When manufacturers started offering triathlon bikes, they were often just entry-level race bikes with "triathlon" in the name.
Old 01-10-18, 04:26 PM
oldlugs

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Nice save! What are the hub sets? Are the spokes SS? Even if you don't use them on builds they will make good rolling project wheels.
The steel wheelsets both have matching Normandy hubs, the aluminum set has sealed bearing Quando hubs. I was surprised to see the Quando hubs had actual sealed bearings, the rear hub has two 6200-2RS sealed bearings, I didn't pull the front apart but I assume its the same type hub. They appear to be a matching set.
I never ran across anything Quando before, I assume its a newer brand? I thought the rims were Araya but I found a Weinmann stamping on them after cleaning off the layers of dust. My guess is they're a stock replacement set someone bought at some point not so much a pair taken off any particular bike.

I have at least one French frame in my size I can build up with one pair of the Rigida rims.
Old 01-10-18, 04:40 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
That a win all around.
Old 01-10-18, 04:49 PM
mathstudent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
Grabbed this pretty cool tabletop model for $5. Working pedals,cranks,and wheels. lol
That is insanely cool. Looks pretty decent sized as well.
Old 01-10-18, 04:50 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
Grabbed this pretty cool tabletop model for $5. Working pedals,cranks,and wheels. lol

IMG_3215 by 2cam16, on Flickr

IMG_3216 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Really nice! Dig those pedals.

And the great thing about these is that they don't take up nearly as much room as one in my size. I mean, if you're going to buy a bike that's too small to ride, you might as well go really small.

As a matter of fact I've joined that trend recently. 30 cents I think I paid for it. Even the brake adjusters work better than on my big bikes.

Old 01-10-18, 05:52 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by mathstudent
That is insanely cool. Looks pretty decent sized as well.
Thanks and yeah, it's about 10 inches across.
Old 01-10-18, 05:52 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie

And the great thing about these is that they don't take up nearly as much room as one in my size. I mean, if you're going to buy a bike that's too small to ride, you might as well go really small.

As a matter of fact I've joined that trend recently. 30 cents I think I paid for it. Even the brake adjusters work better than on my big bikes.

That's pretty cool with the brakes!!
Old 01-11-18, 03:13 AM
oldlugs

I drove by the same place I found all those wheels the other day, (second trash day of the week), and found more wheels, this time I went and knocked on the door. It was earlier and the lights were on so I took the chance.
The guy said he used to have sort of a bike shop in his garage 40 years ago but quit doing it after he got arthritis real bad. I asked if he was planning on putting any other wheels or parts out and he told me to hold on while he got his coat. We went out to his 3 car garage behind the house and he opened the door. The place is packed, basically a full bike shop as it sat 40 years ago. I asked him what he was looking to do with it all, and he told me I haven't seen it all yet, we went down the basement through a pair of Bilco doors and the basement is about half full too. The basement is full of complete bikes, some wheels hanging from the floor joists, and shelves all around the sides full of parts.
He grilled me on what I would do with all the parts, when I said I've been doing sort of the same thing for years, only with used junk, he said if I take the parts, he best not find them on for sale on eBay. He'd like to see them put to use.
The problem is most of the bikes are just plain bikes, nothing special, not department store junk, but most are all steel bikes, a lot of single speeds, mostly built from mismatched parts, a few dozen steel wheel road bikes, (Ross Europas, Columbia, Royce Union, Sears, Nishiki Sport, low end Gitanes, and similar bikes plus roughly 40 or so frames, all for the same type of bikes. The wheels are mostly new or in really nice shape, his truing stand was homemade from a pair of old Schwinn forks, and most of this tools are cheap junk from Taiwan.
He did have two vintage BB style VAR bike stands.
The garage is a mess of parts, handle bars and stems, cranksets, and wheels hanging everywhere, probably another 70 bikes or so lined up side by side in four or five rows with a few laying atop the mess, plus whatever is upstairs packed in the attic of the garage. He took me out to a tin shed, made from one of those carports you buy for $800 on CL, that had another 150 or so bikes packed in there plus a pile of used tires, used rear racks, frames, and forks hanging all over the place, and a few nicer bikes out by the plywood doors that look like they've been used more recently. There are tubs, cans, jars, and boxes of used parts all over the place, under benches, on shelves, and in Rubbermaid tubs marked with faded masking tape that's long since fallen off.
After I looked around a bit he asked me if I was interested in it all, not being sure what to say I asked what he had in mind? He told me that so long as I didn't plan to just sell it all on eBay or scrap it, and so long as I take it all, I can have it.

The issue is that most of it is low to mid end parts, much of it in really nice shape but nothing really desirable. The best bikes I saw were a few later Raleigh mountain bikes, a few steel wheel Nishiki sports, a couple Columbia three speeds, a few old 50's balloon tire bikes, but they were all repainted with a brush, but likely ridable and serviced from what I could tell. The few I grabbed from the pile in the basement were well adjusted and working bikes, those outside are not, those are waiting to be fixed or worked on. Those in the shed are a bit nicer but still, nothing high end, no Reynold 531, most likely nothing even Chromoly unless its just 4130. 70% of all the wheels are steel, on and off the bikes, there's a few nicer wheelsets, probably a few dozen new old stock 27" rims, not a 700c in the lot. Something that did catch my eye was a pair of Made in Italy internal hub 26" three speeds, I couldn't get around to the front of them but the seat post was clearly marked made in Italy, the rims were serrated edge chrome steel with wide Pirelli whitewall tires. The seat post decal reads Edoardo Bianchi, Milano.
I also found a couple pairs of new old stock steel rims, marked made in France, in 650B size but they're super wide, 50+ mm wide, as if they took a balloon tire. There's also see what I think is an early French three speed but with a three speed derailleur set up, its powder blue, with an ivory head tube, pretty ornate lugs, and steel serated sidewall rims in 650B size, but the tires are maybe 35mm wide.
I told the guy I'll take it, I'm not sure where I'll put it yet but I told him I want to load the parts first, then the bikes and frames. That way I get to pack the parts on shelves before getting jammed up with bikes. I suppose many of the frames and bikes are just junk, not worth messing with. Nice bikes don't sell well here, let alone old cheaper bikes. Price don't seem to matter, I've seen really nice bikes for cheap just sit unsold for years, its just not a bike area.
I loaded up my pickup taking what he had on the trash pile plus anything decent I could grab and toss in the bed without upsetting the whole place. I'll go back this weekend with my enclosed car trailer and see how much I can pack in there. I figure there's three trailer loads or more if I pack the trailer well.
The parts won't take up much room, and I already spotted a few new boxes of SA shifters, boxes of axles, pedals, chains, and such that I'll just put on my shelves here. I've got an upper storage area at my shop I can stash some stuff too, but the real low end frames and old bikes may just have to get donated or something. I can't figure anyone having much interest in a Columbia or Ross 10 speed, especially 24" and 26" models. If they won't bring $50 or better, I can't see storing them.
Its a borderline hoarder situation but I think he more or less was just buying up bikes, fixing them up and selling them cheap back in the day. He has a really good assortment of general parts, but its parts mostly for single speed bikes. The type of bikes the local kids likely rode in the 50's and 60's. It is organized, but just overflowing with unfixed bikes, as if he kept buying long after he stopped fixing. The prices on the fixed bikes range from $5 to $40, nothing higher, which gives a good idea of what he was selling. Most are under $15 on the tags.

Here's a few pics of the rims I grabbed in the dark last night,
1- Pair of Newsboy type balloon tire wheels, 105ga spokes.
2- Pair of unknown 27" alloy rims spoked with SS straight gauge spokes and Sunshine hubs
3- drum brake Rubbermaid/Skyway BMX wheels, new with new Carlisle knobby tires.
4- several dozen of these Made in Italy 26" rims, they appear to be 1 3/8" size but I haven't checked. (Marked only 26" but they're too big to be mtb. Note the $6.75 price he had on them. He said he doubled all prices from wholesale, so he paid half of that.
5- Pair of steel mountain bike or cruiser wheels with vintage CST tires and black chrome finish and Shimano 333 steel hubs.
6&7- Weinmann NOS 17x630 (27" wheelsets, with vintage red label IRC tires from the mid 70's)
8- Schwinn frame, Speedster? 26x1 3/8" style with stuck seat post?
9- Pile of steel frames, many more like this. I grabbed this pile because I saw the Trek frame, a tall Nishiki frame, and a couple of French frames. Plus what appears to be an old King Sting frame. Most have forks but those are in 5 gallon buckets all over the place.
10- DEA serrated sidewal steel rims made in France? Marked 32-630, (27", with a pair of mid 70's hard but surviving gumwall CST red label tires most likely from the same period as the rims.
Any idea on what this brand rim came on? (DEA Super Chrome) They have Simplex hubs and each rim is stamped 1974 as are the hubs. These hubs are identical to the standard Normandy hubs but with the Simplex flying wing logo. These have straight gauge spokes with very short unplated nipples with an 'R' between each flat. They look similar to Rigida rims but have a lesser serration on the sidewalls and have better chrome.
The skewers are also Simplex.
Attached Images
0110182256-00.jpg (182.0 KB, 374 views)
0110182243-00.jpg (166.0 KB, 367 views)
0110182306-01.jpg (138.5 KB, 372 views)
0110182333-01.jpg (204.1 KB, 372 views)
0110182321-01.jpg (227.8 KB, 375 views)
P1010636.JPG (238.8 KB, 368 views)
P1010637.JPG (241.8 KB, 369 views)
0110182336-00.jpg (190.9 KB, 371 views)
0110182339-00.jpg (182.1 KB, 364 views)
0110182232-00.jpg (179.0 KB, 372 views)
Old 01-11-18, 04:05 AM
oldlugs

Another pile I didn't get pics of yet is a pickup load of misc fenders, there has to be 100 pair, plus a few dozen vintage new old stock fender sets. There's at least 50 decent wheelsets, although most are steel. There's two 6ft tall drawer steel cabinets, (think library card file size drawers), full of misc new parts, ND hubs, kits, pedal parts, headsets, bb's, bearings, etc. He told me to just wheel the cabinets out whole, along with the tools and benches if I want. He want's his wife to be able to park in the garage when I'm done.
I'm trying to get the carport shed too, if that goes with the deal, then I'll have some immediate storage here right away. I think I can brace up the single car carport with wood and carry it slowly in one piece, its only a few miles or so down back roads. I'll do it in the wee hours of the morning so there's no traffic and park it in my yard once the sun comes up. Its 10' tall in the center, my trailer deck is 28" off the ground, it may just work if I rig it up right. If nothing else, I'll have a shady place to park my car in the driveway when I'm done.
Here's a few more pics:

1- New old stock Normandy Hubs
2- Ross dealer sign
3- 70's Schwinn Typhoon This is probably the best looking of the whole bikes, I grabbed it because it was by the door and it looked like someone was riding it at some point and parking it there. It also helped to hold down several bundles of tires I tossed in the truck that were hanging on the walls there.
4- 30+ year old Cycle Pro tires on Rigida steel rims
5- Park Stand head, (This is all I found so far. Plus a vintage Bendix hub
6&7- Araya 27" wheel single - odd rim with no mate, I'm sure there will be plenty more single wheels with no match.
8- Araya wheelset with Japanese 'Chair' brand steel hubs? Never heard of this brand hub before, its no doubt low end but what bikes used them? Maybe an old Ross? There seems to be quite a few Ross bikes in the lot, but they were popular around here back in the day. Ross, Columbia, Rollfast, and Peugeot were the most common brands around back in the 70's, with a few Schwinn, Raleigh, Motobecane, and Panasonic bikes here and there.
Attached Images
normandy brite.JPG (66.7 KB, 370 views)
P1000841.JPG (64.9 KB, 373 views)
P1020796.JPG (79.8 KB, 366 views)
0110182250-02.jpg (280.2 KB, 371 views)
Park clamp.JPG (81.5 KB, 368 views)
0110182324-00.jpg (138.6 KB, 370 views)
0110182324-01.jpg (213.9 KB, 377 views)
0110182313-00.jpg (219.4 KB, 369 views)
Old 01-11-18, 08:01 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
Wow, that's quite the stash you came upon.

If it were me, I'd take it all, assemble as many complete bikes as I could from all that, stash some wheelsets, have the local co-op take what they want, and scrap the rest.

The only thing I'd be concerned about is becoming this guy--in 20 years somebody knocking on my door to ask about the giant pile of parts I didn't know what to do with.

Have fun!
Old 01-11-18, 08:49 AM
tiredhands 
Sempiternal Newb

Bikes: '92 Trek 750, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '95 Stumpjumper,

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
@oldlugs That puts a new meaning on "catch of the day!"
Old 01-11-18, 09:05 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 961 Posts
Tomato time, couldn't let this one pass, I'm a Homegrown fan.

2000 Schwinn anodized frame, all the things I don't favor black, hubs, spokes, seat post, handlebars, combo brake shifter pods, color rims, color tires... xt pods cranks and fd, rd xtr, Avid brakes, hubs Hugi, mavic rims,Judy SID fork, titec stem bars and seat post. This looks to be stock minus the saddle.

With the saddle on it now makes me think someone thought they bought it as a comfort cruiser, and then barely used it. This was covered with dirt and had flat tires, no build or rebuilding needed on this one just clean up, and very minor rust on some Allen bolts.
Attached Images
IMG_0698.jpg (951.1 KB, 348 views)
IMG_0699.JPG (1.19 MB, 350 views)
Old 01-11-18, 09:54 AM
tiredhands 
Sempiternal Newb

Bikes: '92 Trek 750, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '95 Stumpjumper,

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Tomato time, couldn't let this one pass, I'm a Homegrown fan.

2000 Schwinn anodized frame, all the things I don't favor black, hubs, spokes, seat post, handlebars, combo brake shifter pods, color rims, color tires... xt pods cranks and fd, rd xtr, Avid brakes, hubs Hugi, mavic rims,Judy SID fork, titec stem bars and seat post. This looks to be stock minus the saddle.

With the saddle on it now makes me think someone thought they bought it as a comfort cruiser, and then barely used it. This was covered with dirt and had flat tires, no build or rebuilding needed on this one just clean up, and very minor rust on some Allen bolts.
Nice stuff! I had no idea Schwinn put anything out with that caliber of kit in 2000. Those Titec bars are pretty legit. Great catch!
Old 01-11-18, 11:12 AM
bnewberry

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Another pile I didn't get pics of yet is a pickup load of misc fenders, there has to be 100 pair, plus a few dozen vintage new old stock fender sets. There's at least 50 decent wheelsets, although most are steel. There's two 6ft tall drawer steel cabinets, (think library card file size drawers), full of misc new parts, ND hubs, kits, pedal parts, headsets, bb's, bearings, etc. He told me to just wheel the cabinets out whole, along with the tools and benches if I want. He want's his wife to be able to park in the garage when I'm done.
I'm trying to get the carport shed too, if that goes with the deal, then I'll have some immediate storage here right away. I think I can brace up the single car carport with wood and carry it slowly in one piece, its only a few miles or so down back roads. I'll do it in the wee hours of the morning so there's no traffic and park it in my yard once the sun comes up. Its 10' tall in the center, my trailer deck is 28" off the ground, it may just work if I rig it up right. If nothing else, I'll have a shady place to park my car in the driveway when I'm done.
Here's a few more pics:

1- New old stock Normandy Hubs
2- Ross dealer sign
3- 70's Schwinn Typhoon This is probably the best looking of the whole bikes, I grabbed it because it was by the door and it looked like someone was riding it at some point and parking it there. It also helped to hold down several bundles of tires I tossed in the truck that were hanging on the walls there.
4- 30+ year old Cycle Pro tires on Rigida steel rims
5- Park Stand head, (This is all I found so far. Plus a vintage Bendix hub
6&7- Araya 27" wheel single - odd rim with no mate, I'm sure there will be plenty more single wheels with no match.
8- Araya wheelset with Japanese 'Chair' brand steel hubs? Never heard of this brand hub before, its no doubt low end but what bikes used them? Maybe an old Ross? There seems to be quite a few Ross bikes in the lot, but they were popular around here back in the day. Ross, Columbia, Rollfast, and Peugeot were the most common brands around back in the 70's, with a few Schwinn, Raleigh, Motobecane, and Panasonic bikes here and there.
Oh my! I like the idea of building bikes and donating to a coop or through a church or charity. If you find any vintage 531 steel Trek frame in 21-23 inch that you don't want I know I would love a chance to buy.
Old 01-11-18, 02:32 PM
oldlugs

Originally Posted by PugRider
Wow, that's quite the stash you came upon.

If it were me, I'd take it all, assemble as many complete bikes as I could from all that, stash some wheelsets, have the local co-op take what they want, and scrap the rest.

The only thing I'd be concerned about is becoming this guy--in 20 years somebody knocking on my door to ask about the giant pile of parts I didn't know what to do with.

Have fun!
I wish we had bike coops here, until I signed up here I never heard of them. Around here bikes get trashed or end up in a hoarders pile somewhere I guess.
I suppose more than three quarters of the lot is 'undesirable' parts. I don't see much of a market for Columbia 10 speeds and cheap Japanese bikes from the 70's. We used to have a few guys that gathered parts and built bikes to give to kids who didn't have a bike but I haven't seen anyone like that around in 10 or more years. The local police auctions are usually loaded with bikes like this or worse too.

I found a few more new old stock wheelsets today I missed in the pile last night, and a few boxes of nos derailleurs, axles, and bar tape. Lots of pink and mustard brown bar tape too. The guy had to be buying in bulk from a wholesaler at some point, a lot of the boxes are from Joannou Cycle in NY. The cabinets seem to be where the gold is, lots of hard to find bolts and brackets. (Plus bags of Cat Eye brand plastic reflectors and brake bolt brackets, along with wheel reflectors and cheap helmets, the kind that are just white polystyrene with a glossy shell and chin strap. several of the large tubs which were pretty heavy turned out to have cranksets in them, complete SR cranksets, scripted in various manufacturers names. Lots of Raleigh, Motobecane, and a few first generation Shimano 600. sets along with a few dozen new old stock hubs, both Normandy and Shimano high flange, plus a dozen or so Maillard low flange models. There's enough parts to build another 100 or more bikes, I just don't see them being worth the labor as low end models just don't bring enough in the end.
Old 01-11-18, 02:53 PM
bnewberry

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I wish we had bike coops here, until I signed up here I never heard of them. Around here bikes get trashed or end up in a hoarders pile somewhere I guess.
I suppose more than three quarters of the lot is 'undesirable' parts. I don't see much of a market for Columbia 10 speeds and cheap Japanese bikes from the 70's. We used to have a few guys that gathered parts and built bikes to give to kids who didn't have a bike but I haven't seen anyone like that around in 10 or more years. The local police auctions are usually loaded with bikes like this or worse too.

I found a few more new old stock wheelsets today I missed in the pile last night, and a few boxes of nos derailleurs, axles, and bar tape. Lots of pink and mustard brown bar tape too. The guy had to be buying in bulk from a wholesaler at some point, a lot of the boxes are from Joannou Cycle in NY. The cabinets seem to be where the gold is, lots of hard to find bolts and brackets. (Plus bags of Cat Eye brand plastic reflectors and brake bolt brackets, along with wheel reflectors and cheap helmets, the kind that are just white polystyrene with a glossy shell and chin strap. several of the large tubs which were pretty heavy turned out to have cranksets in them, complete SR cranksets, scripted in various manufacturers names. Lots of Raleigh, Motobecane, and a few first generation Shimano 600. sets along with a few dozen new old stock hubs, both Normandy and Shimano high flange, plus a dozen or so Maillard low flange models. There's enough parts to build another 100 or more bikes, I just don't see them being worth the labor as low end models just don't bring enough in the end.
We don't have a coop near here either. If you have the time a lot of the better parts will sell on eBay or here etc. If I had access to parts like this I would teach a bike repair class or build a kid a bike at a local church, sell parts and scrap the very low end stuff.
Old 01-11-18, 03:01 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts

-----

"AND its belt drive!"

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 01-11-18, 04:34 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

"AND its belt drive!"

-----
Yes! But as you can see, it really needs horizontal dropouts for getting the tension correct. Perhaps a framer builder with very small hands ...

Old 01-11-18, 04:52 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts
Yes! But as you can see, it really needs horizontal dropouts for getting the tension correct. Perhaps a framer builder with very small hands ...
-----

Either that or perhaps the owner could place the belt in the clothes dryer for a few minuti to diminish it a scoche.

-----

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.