Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show off that Randonneur; and let's discuss the bike, the gear, the sport

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show off that Randonneur; and let's discuss the bike, the gear, the sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-19, 08:05 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by justinsdrake
Mountaindave - Your Stumpy is kind of what I was aiming for but maybe putting dirt drops on there. I have an 85 Schwinn Cimarron with fairly light tubing considering its vintage and original purpose. But as I am coming to understand, there is a tool (bike) for every job. N+1 right?

The MTB conversion is probably better to focus and build for more off pavement riding.
I met a retired guy who had that exact Cimarron and he had it set up for touring. He had full racks and would spend two or three days camping, following backroads over pavement and gravel to arrive at a local fundraiser century. Then he took the racks off, did the century, and started back home the next day. Very humble, unassuming old guy - I would never have guessed. I only recognized his repainted, undecaled bike from the uniquely brazed head tube. That guy flat out blew me away.

It certainly can be done. Just sayin’
Old 01-26-19, 08:45 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Originally Posted by Sir_Name
That’s a beauty. What are the hubs, Curtis Odom?
+1 and I can’t think of any other modern hub like that other than CO.
Old 01-26-19, 08:54 AM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by jan nikolajsen
Remember on this thread we will talk about FAST bikes, that the fit cyclist can keep riding fast after 350 miles and counting.

I also had a LHT (purpose built touring bike), and while I certainly could ride it for a long time, I couldn't ride it fast for a long time without hurting.
That is my understanding , and it's I do not think a loaded touring bike or even a Grand Touring bike like an Expedition, Miyata 1000, or Trek 720 are especially good choices for Randonneur bikes . From what I understand most of these bikes were really more like racing bikes with a bag on them and less like the American definition of touring bikes. I am probably wrong in more than one way but that's kinda my understanding.

I actually plan to build my Grand Jubile up in more of a Randonneur style versus an actual touring bike because its lighter than my 520 or my LHT and it has a distinct lack of braze ons to meet my litmus of a touring bike. I also have a Soma Stanyan frameset that would probably make a fine Randonneur
Old 01-26-19, 08:55 AM
SamSpade1941 

Originally Posted by mountaindave

+1 and I can’t think of any other modern hub like that other than CO.

Why not Phil Wood hubs ... Aren't they kinda considered the gold standard of bicycle hubs ?
Old 01-26-19, 09:06 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts

I need to rebuild the rear wheel but my 1993 Bridgestone XO 2 is the bike I keep going back to for long rides especially if the ride includes gravel. It has road geometry but it's built around 26 inch wheels and is an early example of what we would call today a gravel bike. I run it with 26 x 1.75 tires which are comfy on long rides. The bike is set up with generous gearing as well (3 x 8. 44/32/22 and 11-28)
Likes For bikemig:
Old 01-26-19, 11:59 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by SamSpade1941
I also have a Soma Stanyan frameset that would probably make a fine Randonneur
I have a 1st generation Stanyan that's been doing good service as my winter/wet bike for the last few seasons.
If a geometry very similar to the classic British club machines and clearance for 700X28 tires with mudguards suit your requirements: Good to Go.

-Bandera
Likes For Bandera:
Old 01-26-19, 12:02 PM
SamSpade1941 

Originally Posted by Bandera
I have a 1st generation Stanyan that's been doing good service as my winter/wet bike for the last few seasons.
If a geometry very similar to the classic British club machines and clearance for 700X28 tires with mudguards suit your requirements: Good to Go.

-Bandera
I have the 2018 version , I am under the impression it will accommodate 32's under the fenders and 35's without according to my friend who owns the same bike, Tire sizes that are advertised rarely match up to the actual width though so there is that.
Old 01-26-19, 02:06 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Why not Phil Wood hubs ... Aren't they kinda considered the gold standard of bicycle hubs ?
Not advocating for one hub over another, just trying to identify it. The hub sure looks like a Curtis Odom ‘Holey.’
Old 01-26-19, 02:29 PM
SamSpade1941 

Not advocating for one hub over another, just trying to identify it. The hub sure looks like a Curtis Odom ‘Holey.’
You missed my question .. . I wasn't asking if they were Wood hubs . I saying why would anyone if they were going the custom route not just buy Wood hubs they are from what I can see superior to any other hub . Even other sealed bearing hubs do not seem to their reputation . I know cost is a factor but I can't imagine Curtis Odom hubs being cheaper .. Then again were cost the issue its gonna be Deore hubs all the way .
Old 01-26-19, 02:37 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer

Greetings from a fellow Bob Jackson owner Yours is awesome!
Tell me about the wheels - what tire, what rim, what spokes, what hub, who built them?
Old 01-26-19, 02:59 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

You missed my question .. . I wasn't asking if they were Wood hubs . I saying why would anyone if they were going the custom route not just buy Wood hubs they are from what I can see superior to any other hub .
Ah. Well, you quoted me so I thought you were asking me. As to “why not choose PW?” only the OP can answer that. Aesthetically, it’s a no-brainer: Odom hubs FTW
Old 01-26-19, 03:00 PM
SamSpade1941 

Ah. Well, you quoted me so I thought you were asking me. As to “why not choose PW?” only the OP can answer that. Aesthetically, it’s a no-brainer: Odom hubs FTW
They are pretty .
Old 01-26-19, 03:29 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
Ca.
Hi mountaindave,
Yes, Curtis Odom "Holey" with stainless steel hub centers. California Bicycle in La Jolla Ca. built the wheels, the rims are Mavic A719. I had the pleasure of meeting Curtis at the shop the day I picked them up. Three years later and quite a few miles the wheel set is as true as the day I picked them up.
Old 01-26-19, 04:21 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bling!!!
Old 01-26-19, 05:33 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
You missed my question .. . I wasn't asking if they were Wood hubs . I saying why would anyone if they were going the custom route not just buy Wood hubs they are from what I can see superior to any other hub . Even other sealed bearing hubs do not seem to their reputation . I know cost is a factor but I can't imagine Curtis Odom hubs being cheaper .. Then again were cost the issue its gonna be Deore hubs all the way .
Hi Sam,
To answer your question, Phil Wood hubs are top line indestructible parts, I have an old set in a box somewhere, the styling doesn't talk to me, that's all. To me classic bikes are period pieces and there are certain items that define that narrow window of styling/function that define the period or set the tone for the build. For example the 1957 Raleigh Model 57 RRA was inspiration for the "visual feel" for the Bob Jackson, (actually the frame geometry is fairly close), The CO hubs were a natural fit for my bike.

Naturally fenders were always in the plan, Luck was on my side as Honjo made a small run of English pattern fenders that will clear 32 mm tires, I was lucky enough to find a set, a bit of a unicorn as I haven't seen them since.

So that was my thought process behind the selection of parts.
: Mike
Old 01-26-19, 05:59 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Ooooooh boy! Now we just need to see those fenders on the bike! Looks like you achieved your goal of matching the style of the Raleigh too!
Old 01-26-19, 06:07 PM
SamSpade1941 

Hi Sam,
To answer your question, Phil Wood hubs are top line indestructible parts, I have an old set in a box somewhere, the styling doesn't talk to me, that's all. To me classic bikes are period pieces and there are certain items that define that narrow window of styling/function that define the period or set the tone for the build. For example the 1957 Raleigh Model 57 RRA was inspiration for the "visual feel" for the Bob Jackson, (actually the frame geometry is fairly close), The CO hubs were a natural fit for my bike.

Naturally fenders were always in the plan, Luck was on my side as Honjo made a small run of English pattern fenders that will clear 32 mm tires, I was lucky enough to find a set, a bit of a unicorn as I haven't seen them since.

So that was my thought process behind the selection of parts.
: Mike
Makes perfect sense especially if you are trying to go with the period correct appearance. Nice bike by the way .
Likes For SamSpade1941:
Old 01-26-19, 08:39 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
To me classic bikes are period pieces and there are certain items that define that narrow window of styling/function that define the period or set the tone for the build. For example the 1957 Raleigh Model 57 RRA was inspiration for the "visual feel" for the Bob Jackson, (actually the frame geometry is fairly close), ...
Funny that you mention the RRA! I had a1948 RRA frame/fork that I loved, but I found myself continually looking for the"correct" parts for it. Lest I become completely OCD about it I decide to sell it. I really liked the way it rode, though. So i carefully measured all the frame angles etc and when the bike was gone I had a frame builder build me an exact copy, but with clearance for much fatter tires. It's a modern bike, 10 speed cassette, cantilever brakes, etc, but the geometry is classic. And I do like the way it rides, put several thousand miles on it last year.
Old 12-31-19, 11:14 AM
macbobster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Picchio Special
That's the deal - some folks go for time and ride carbon fiber with clip-on fenders and lights; some folks ride full custom randonneuring bikes. Even if you're not riding for a time and just trying to make the cutoff, you still have the dilemma of whether that's best achieved by going faster and sleeping less, or by going slower but being more comfortable.
I'm gearing up for my first 200K Brevet. My main priority is having fun, Lord willing!
Old 01-01-20, 07:47 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by macbobster
I'm gearing up for my first 200K Brevet. My main priority is having fun, Lord willing!
That's the spirit! You're out riding a bike for the better part of the day.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 01-01-20, 08:07 PM
macbobster

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
That's the spirit! You're out riding a bike for the better part of the day.
Thanks for the encouragement! I'm re-working my '91 Cannondale ST600 for the job. Of interest is the 3 X 7 BioPace / Hyperglide tranny. I'll post some pics soon.

God bless you all,
MAC
Old 01-03-20, 11:29 AM
macbobster

Originally Posted by jan nikolajsen

Given that the French originators of this type of bike are world renowned for their craftsmanship, innovative design and riding quality, AND have influenced scores of contemporary and modern builders, we ought to have a little more focus on this here at C&V (classic rendezvous' mailing list has a bit more, but our user interface is so much better).

So no fully loaded touring bikes. Go here to show off those (another of our great and inspiring threads). And no Italian steeds with a handlebar bag and compact crank disguised as a rando-ride.

Jan
/
The Italians might have something to say about that, LOL.
Old 01-03-20, 06:20 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by macbobster
The Italians might have something to say about that, LOL.
Well, we haven't heard from Jan in a few years now, so he probably won't come back to explain himself... But I think he was taking a jab at neither Italians nor Italian bikes, but at internet posers ("poseurs").

But just cuz, here's my Bottecchia beater 650b rando fixie. I planned to ride it a lot last year but I ended up not riding so much and riding other bikes when I did. Maybe this year!

https://flic.kr/p/2aZ3dxZ

All best wishes on your first 200k! Sometimes a ride like that will kick you hard. It don't mean nothing.
Old 01-08-22, 12:44 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Pretty Perfect

A few years ago, I did a few 200s and a 300 on a Waterford built Milwaukee road with a Carradice Barley. It might be fun to complete a series on this bike with a real Rando Bag-- Probably not this year because the nearby 600s conflict with EroicaCA but next year, it will be my focus.

This is a 23" 1978 Motobecane Grand Jubile in pretty stock configuration. The changes as pictured are the TB-14s on 7400 hubs and the Brooks on a V.O. seat post. The stock seat post was not quite long enough and I don't have nice tires for the 27" hooked alloy Rigidas on Normandy Sport hubs. The bike rides very nicely. I've been commuting and running errands on it. Today, was a nice ride on my usual 30 mile 2500 feet loop with 4.3 lbs. in the front bag. This is a winner. According to my measurements, it has 45mm of trail, 440mm chain stays, wheelbase of 107cm and a front center of 67cm.

The G.J. come in 21, 23, and 25 inches. The 25 is likely too big but I would like to swing my leg over one sometime. Less seat post and a shorter stem to make more room for the front bag would be a plus.

EDIT: my Swift Tire Sand Canyons showed up and I mounted them on the original wheels and freewheel. 52/42 with 14/32 should be plenty.

Last edited by Classtime; 01-09-22 at 03:58 PM. Reason: added details
Likes For Classtime:
Old 02-01-22, 06:56 PM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
Any Chicagoland folks join in the Great Lakes Randonneur rides? Thinking about going on a few brevets this year and wondering if I might see some vintage steel while I'm out. I'll probably be on a Moto Le Champion, or a Gitane Tour de France. Egalite! Fraternite!
Likes For Sedgemop:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.