Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show off that Randonneur; and let's discuss the bike, the gear, the sport

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show off that Randonneur; and let's discuss the bike, the gear, the sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-09, 09:23 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by bibliobob
She's a beauty! Well done.

I've been keeping an eye out lately on ebay UK for a very reasonably priced English Reynolds bike (or frameset) that I could bring back here. Ideally, I'll find one by a local builder somewhere that has eyelets for full fenders and racks. I'm just looking for something for fast commuting or short day tours.
You should have seen it when he picked up the frame at Trexlertown. It looked kind of rough, and I had some doubts about how presentable it could become - but JYB has done a very creditable job with it.
Old 01-29-09, 09:26 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by bibliobob
That International is stunning. As is the Fay.

Would love to see photos of the Dawes when you get her presentable.
Those last two would be the best candidates for Rando, IMO.
Old 01-29-09, 09:42 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
Are tires noted/marketed as randonneur tires anything special compared to other tires, what sets them apart? I ran a search on ebay for randonneur and came up with some Vittoria tires with randonneur in their name. Are they just durable, flat resistant, do they have better rolling economy as opposed to stickier cornering, do they have better wet weather traction, what? This is just one of the questions when I look into randonneuring. Well, that and why couldn't they call it something with less letters in the name like audax.

Off and on over the years I've given thought to completing a series. The nearest series here in Wisconsin starts in the southern part of the state and heads west out towards Madison then back east to Lake Michigan, then back to the starting point for the longer distance. That's a long ways.

I've been thinking I might set up the World Voyager as a rando bike, seems like it could be well suited to it. Found an original 1973 World Voyager handlebar currently on ebay, got it bookmarked but may pass on it.

I kind of see randonneuring as a long ride or pseudo-tour without a lot of baggage, close to credit card touring but without sight seeing as a primary motivator. Where the ride for the sake of the ride is the primary motivator. Could be wrong, if there is a wrong, but maybe kind of sort of close as well.

Sitting here web surfing in front of the tv and channel surfing a bit as well, came across SoundStage on one of the PBS stations and BBKing is playing. I think I'll just stop this post here, sit back, relax, and head down to the Long Distance section of the site and lurk a bit.....
Old 01-29-09, 10:12 PM
poprad

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 191 Posts
So not sure if my Vanilla qualifies, but if you can stomach not having a built-in front rack then this is sort of a modern Rando. It's basically my "all-rounder" that I have ridden the one day StP, Crater Lake Century, and Cycle Oregon on. I was able to maintain a 17.5 mph avg sans draft for the whole 207 mi StP with no undue discomfort.

Oh, and with the discs it's also the only bike I own that looks just as cool from the non-drive side.

Old 01-29-09, 10:14 PM
rotharpunc
BEHOLD! THE MANTICORE!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
the vittorias are just a name I think, I use them on my fixed gear just because they are white and look cool, lol.

it seems a triple front is the way to go, but what is the prefered RD and cog arrangement? wide range or very tight?
Old 01-29-09, 10:16 PM
redxj
N+1

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
Hey Redxj, I thought about doing the same thing with my Nishiki International when I bought my LHT, but I needed money more as I was spending a lot to equipe my LHT with "THE BEST" including the surly front rack, Phil hubs, DT swiss Rims, WTB bars etc... so I sold it. In any case, my question is, are those 180mm rivals on your seral? I got em on my Cross bike, not the best cranks in the world but the most affordable 180mm option!
My Seral was my most ridden bike this past year even though I didn't finish it until a few months into the riding season. The LHT will remain almost bone stock with the exceptions of the Surly rear from the Nishiki, a matching front eventually, and the Brooks B17 and Nitto Noodles from my parts stash. I will be using the dyno front wheel on it for commuting purposes when I want to coast.

Yes, that is a set of 180mm Rival's on the Nishiki. A lot of the normal crank makers don't even make anything bigger than 175mm. They were purchased to put on my cross bike to match the rest of the mostly Rival drive train, but the inner ring hit the chainstay. So a early 90's square taper Shimano LX MTB crank with new ten speed rings was put on the cross bike. A lot of the Nishiki's current drivetrain might end up on the "other" cross bike I bought a few weeks ago.
Old 01-29-09, 10:40 PM
rotharpunc
BEHOLD! THE MANTICORE!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
heres a good link:
https://www.vintagebicyclepress.com/BQRandonneurBike.pdf
Old 01-30-09, 12:28 AM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by redxj
A lot of the normal crank makers don't even make anything bigger than 175mm.
yeah and campy and shimano only make 180mm in dura-ace and record (i'm not even 100% on the record anymore what with all the carbon and whatnot).

I have a set of 185mm TA cranks on my main road bike. It's interesting, we have a fitting machine at work that will go up to 185mm crank size which I think it just great. I did a fitment, finally, yesterday and we found that at 180mm I was less efficient and produced less power than with 185mm. That was very interesting! I would love to run some tests on average sized riders and go from 165 up to 185 in 2.5mm increments to see if there is a bell shape to their efficiency and power. It's frustrating for us non-average sized people. I only have one bike with 185's which I am more efficient on than 180mm and I am stuck with 180s or 175s on my other bikes because I can't afford to buy a whole slew of custom 185mm cranks.. I wish I bought the NOS suntour CX pros that were on firstflight last year! Anyway I do have 180mm super record cranks on my gazelle, 180mm rival cranks on my cross bike and 180mm ritchey pro logic triple cranks on my LHT which are the important things, obviously I'm not going to run 180 on my fixed gear, though I wouldn't mind moving up to 172.5s from my 170s.

okay end rant...

this is exciting for me:
armsets up to 185!!!

https://www.surlybikes.com/new/crank_pop.html
Old 01-30-09, 04:11 AM
LWaB

Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
To most perhaps, but not for Ken. To him it's a race, even if he is only racing himself.
To the organiser, it isn't a race. Perhaps he might tackle some organised long-distance races more often, where finishing first actually means winning it.
Old 01-30-09, 06:25 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I have been spending lots of time searching Rando/Audax/Brevet info just reading and looking at pictures. I will be doing a sort of randonneur build of a different sort, 3 speed fixed. I was looking for a suitable vintage touring bike w/lots of braze ons, canti mounts, rack mounts, and room for bigger tires and fenders. My problem is so many have short top tubes for my size. But, then I ended up buying a brand new Surly Long Haul Trucker for my geared commuting and full on touring bike if I so choose. So that opened up my previous commuter bike, 83 Nishiki Seral to be the fixed Rando build, perfect! It already has a Generator front hub, but I bought another one and will lace that one up to a CR-18 and the Sturmey Archer S3X 3 speed fixed hub will get another CR18 rim. The build will be something single chainring square taper crankset, fenders, 700c x 32 tires, canti brakes, Nitto M12 front rack, generator front hub, S3X rear, generator light mounted under the top of the Nitto rack, big French style Handlebar bag (like Berthoud, but cheaper), bigger seat bag (my Acorn), and maybe a smaller rear rack. The entire drive train on it now will be changing. The tires, tubes, fenders, stem, bars, seat, seatpost, canti brakes, frame,fork, and headset will stay.

Anyone want to wast lots of time looking at Randonneur bikes/ride pics go here

And a few real Rando bikes, both from Coho cycles:
Nice build idea, and nice pics, Matt!

One thing I notice is that the Cohos both have longish chainstays and steep head tubes. I figure the long chainstay is to get the rider's weight forward, to meet the traditional 55% rear 45% front weight distribution when mounted and loaded.

So let us in on the secret - what front bag is like (I assume its as good as) a Berthoud but way less $$$? Curious cheapskates want to know ...

Road Fan
Old 01-30-09, 06:36 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

BF already has a resource that would help a lot with this thread: the Long Distance Forum. There's a Post Your Ride thread, several technical threads, and a sticky or two that define the rando form and its sibling forms, and a set of regular posters who really do it. Machka and Rowan have both done PBP at least once, and are experts. The flavor of it all is a lot more about "how do I do this ride?" than equipment-based, but there is some good hardware info there.
Old 01-30-09, 07:42 AM
treebound 

This builder has a list of how his Randonneur model is spec'd out.
https://www.pereiracycles.com/RandoForSale.php

I've got a pic of his touring bike as my pc wallpaper this week.
https://bikeportland.org/wp-content/p...ikedetail2.jpg
found here:
https://bikeportland.org/2006/11/06/i...htony-pereira/
Old 01-30-09, 08:11 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
he holds the world record for most kms covered in a year on a bicycle (documented anyway)
More than Tommy Godwin?
I was wondering the same thing. A web search turned up an entry that Mr. Ken Bonner had ridden some 31,440 miles in 2006, which is very impresive, but a bit shy of the 75,056 miles Mr. Godwin rode in 1939 and the 62,657 miles ridden by Mr. Ossie Nicholson in 1937 (both extensively documented).

If anyone has more information on this I'm sure we'd all enjoy hearing it.

Best,
tcs
Old 01-30-09, 08:54 AM
treebound 

Originally Posted by tcs
I was wondering the same thing. A web search turned up an entry that Mr. Ken Bonner had ridden some 31,440 miles in 2006, which is very impresive, but a bit shy of the 75,056 miles Mr. Godwin rode in 1939 and the 62,657 miles ridden by Mr. Ossie Nicholson in 1937 (both extensively documented).

If anyone has more information on this I'm sure we'd all enjoy hearing it.

Best,
tcs

75,056 miles is a hair over 205 miles a day, that's every day for a year, and on 1939 roads as well, with 1939 equipment. I wonder how many miles a year some of the top road racers ride in a year.

I've heard directly and indirectly from some "ride" organizers that they have to be very carefull that their ride doesn't become known as a race due to route use permissions and insurance liabilities and such.

I have questions and curiosities about the Washington rando racer but they would quickly put me into the realm of the A&S section and the RoadCycling section and the Racing sub section there, and I don't want to go there right now, so I won't.

(back to day dreaming of warmer weather and clear roads with no traffic.... )

edit: there's a short bio/blurb and pic of Ken Bonner on this page: https://www.ultracycling.com/about/aboutmag.html

Last edited by treebound; 01-30-09 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-30-09, 09:43 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Some of the British bike companies (Mercian, Bob Jackson) still make very nice rando frames, which they call audax over there. I recently ordered a Bob Jackson World Tour frame, after initially considering their Audax frame. I chose the touring frame because the geometry suited me better -- more relaxed angles, long chain stays, shorter top tube. The touring frame also uses canti brakes rather than calipers and has more clearance for larger tires and fenders. Both the Mercians and Jackson are excellent values right now due to the rising Dollar vs. the Pound.
Old 01-30-09, 09:53 AM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by treebound
This builder has a list of how his Randonneur model is spec'd out.
https://www.pereiracycles.com/RandoForSale.php

I've got a pic of his touring bike as my pc wallpaper this week.
https://bikeportland.org/wp-content/p...ikedetail2.jpg
found here:
https://bikeportland.org/2006/11/06/i...htony-pereira/
The geometry chart on the Pereira link shows fork rake of 65 mm, head angle 73 degrees, and I am assuming wheel radius of 335 mm (a guesstimate, but should be within 5 mm). So its trail works out to about 34 mm, which is definitely on the "low trail" side of things. I assume it's intended for a front load? It certainly contradicts what was stated by many of us early in this thread, that higher trail was desired for better stability over long distance. This was thought to help reduce fatigue and to improve the safety of a tired rider.

Road Fan
Old 01-30-09, 10:00 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
iI don't think I saw this link posted yet, it is a site from Japan where Randonneur trips are popular once again. Some of the photos are very nice: https://tamzortho.exblog.jp/blog.asp?...%3A56%3A38.000

Likes For jet sanchEz:
Old 01-30-09, 10:04 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
I'd always thought an RB-1 would make a sweet Randonneur and then a forum member posted this and I feel that it is perfect for the sport:

Old 01-30-09, 11:01 AM
StevePGN10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by -holiday76
I think this is why converting an 80's "sport" bike to 650b and rando type bars is a really nice way to get all of those things. That said, I havent done that yet, although I've come close with my Gitane, minus the 650b conversion.

What does the conversion from 27" to 650B gain for one?
Old 01-30-09, 11:06 AM
cyclotoine

Originally Posted by StevePGN10
What does the conversion from 27" to 650B gain for one?
More fender clearance and the ability to run fatter tires.
Old 01-30-09, 11:09 AM
cyclotoine

Originally Posted by LWaB
To the organiser, it isn't a race.
Nobody said it was.
Old 01-30-09, 11:09 AM
Road Fan

Ability to run fatter tires within the fender clearance of a 700c frame. A chubbish 650 B tire, say a 30 mm, has about the same radius as a 21 mm 700C, but a lot more tire cross section.

But you might need longer reach brake calipers.
Old 01-30-09, 11:29 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,705 Times in 2,613 Posts
I just came back from a trip to Berkeley, CA, and a visit to Jitensha Studios. Their Ebisu is designated as an "all rounder": canti brakes, lots of clearance for wide 700c tires, lots of fittings for lights, fenders, racks, etc., and drop-dead gorgeous in Moltini orange. I did a lot of drooling there.

https://www.jitensha.com/eng/frame_allrnside.html

Neal
Old 01-30-09, 11:48 AM
redxj
N+1

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
So let us in on the secret - what front bag is like (I assume its as good as) a Berthoud but way less $$$? Curious cheapskates want to know ...

Road Fan
It is no secret. The Ostrich and upcoming Velo Orange bags both from VO are more than half the price of a Berthoud. Jitensha studio link Neal just posted they have the Japanese made INUJIRUSHI bags for $185 or 165.
Old 01-30-09, 12:10 PM
Road Fan

It is no secret. The Ostrich and upcoming Velo Orange bags both from VO are more than half the price of a Berthoud. Jitensha studio link Neal just posted they have the Japanese made INUJIRUSHI bags for $185 or 165.

Thanks, I was kidding but I did want to know. Your fellow cheapskates are grateful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.