Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone up for a whole lot of pain in SW Wisconsin in August?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-12, 09:37 AM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Bump. Anyone?
Old 06-20-12, 10:17 AM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Al
Hey, Robbie:

Did your boyhood in Wisconsin also involve stuff like whitewashing fences, maybe a trip on a raft? The way you tell these little stories sometimes reminds me...
You considering this, Alan? I'm pretty tempted. But, it would probably mean two nights away from home?
Old 06-20-12, 11:48 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Mission control, we have lift off.

I've been cleared by the chief procurer.

I'm in, but you can't make me do more than the 150!

Anyone have a spare Campy triple crank on a workbench?

Are they Record or what?

Rear dr. and fr. dr. as well if needed.

Running 9 speed Chorus Ergos.

If any of you Campy geniuses could point out the path, I'll start spending to get ready!

Oh yeah, is anyone going to bring some oxygen tanks along?
Old 06-20-12, 12:19 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Ride with me on a double. Misery loves company.

I mean, after all, you have to be able to enjoy the scenery, too.
My sis is making Cornish tea biscuits, and I'm looking for some Cornish pasty for the night before.

Since Yuengling is not sold anywhere near the area, I'll probably have to make do with local ale, after.
OK, maybe during, but that's simply tradition, anyway.
Old 06-20-12, 12:24 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by photogravity
Has anyone here done the 50k? I'm mildly interested, but am sure I'll be pushing my bike up a lot of hills if I go.
I once pushed a bed up High Street on a 4th of July, with four others and one "driver" in a 1-mile event.
2 of us were NCAA wrestlers, and the others were dairy farmers, and it was, uh, memorable, not a bit funny.

You won't be alone in walking some hills, and you'll be surprised how many you actually do climb, since they're not all that tall and steep.
Old 06-20-12, 12:29 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Hey, Robbie:

Did your boyhood in Wisconsin also involve stuff like whitewashing fences, maybe a trip on a raft? The way you tell these little stories sometimes reminds me...
You have no idea...., but Thanks.... It was an ideal place to grow up. It was a blast, but could only support so many village idiots, so I had to enlist. When the local chief of police asked my mom where I'd been, she said Marine boot camp, and he about spit out his coffee.....

One kid who visited from Chicago ran away from home and ended up in my basement.....at the time, we thought we were so smart. His parents simply called my parents, and showed up to collect the kid. Still, it was fun as hell. Much shaking of heads at class reunions (which I'll have to skip because of this.)

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 07-02-12 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-20-12, 01:18 PM
gomango

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Ride with me on a double. Misery loves company.

I mean, after all, you have to be able to enjoy the scenery, too.
My sis is making Cornish tea biscuits, and I'm looking for some Cornish pasty for the night before.

Since Yuengling is not sold anywhere near the area, I'll probably have to make do with local ale, after.
OK, maybe during, but that's simply tradition, anyway.
Works for me.

This sounds awful, but the more I think of it, I may have a box of Campy Triple bits on the shelf anyway.

This is a little crazy around here with our building projects atm.
Old 06-20-12, 01:46 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by bibliobob
You considering this, Alan? I'm pretty tempted. But, it would probably mean two nights away from home?
I am considering it but the college dropoff in Ohio may knock it out. I would do the 50K I think as I am in no kind of shape.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 06-20-12, 05:24 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3012 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 1,406 Posts
Originally Posted by photogravity
Bump. Anyone?
Technically, the first 50k are the "easiest". But by no means easy.

Here is an elevation profile of the 200k.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/1339576
Old 06-20-12, 06:44 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

I am considering it but the college dropoff in Ohio may knock it out. I would do the 50K I think as I am in no kind of shape.
I just convinced my kid that he "can't afford" the early dropoff that would interfere with this. If you do the 50K, you can simply wait for us to finish, or maybe I'll try to plan something the night before. If I can get the church to cooperate, we may have a pre-ride dinner. They like me and those old ladies need any excuse to cook....and make a little money.

I'm thinking photo op. I sincerely wish I could get the group from NAHBS 2011. bigbossman and Marko Polo would surely enjoy this area. The women would scoop up Scooper.

Originally Posted by gomango
Works for me.

This sounds awful, but the more I think of it, I may have a box of Campy Triple bits on the shelf anyway.

This is a little crazy around here with our building projects atm.
I guarantee if your wife comes, she'll spend more than you in Mineral Point. On one part of the route, we'll be going within a couple miles of the home of the late Svetlana Stalin Peters. Yes, his daughter. She married one of Frank Lloyd Wright's students.

Remember, climbing is for conversation, descents are for whooping.

Originally Posted by iab
Technically, the first 50k are the "easiest". But by no means easy.

Here is an elevation profile of the 200k.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/1339576
I'm going to check with Tony and see if we can have a dinner at his place the night before. We have to get up early the next day, though, and I'm going to remain ale-less until at least the 100K mark.

For me, 200K means "lunch" at 11 am or earlier, and then another 100k in the afternoon, leisurely. You kind of want to get off the road before the mosquitos come out. 150K means I don't break for lunch as long, and then ride rest stop-to-rest stop until we're done.

I also know an awesome redhead named Patty who knows these roads blindfolded....

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 06-20-12 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-20-12, 07:58 PM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Post ride beer is essential....
Old 06-20-12, 08:09 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

A true Chicagoan, and not a FIB.
One of my old friends from Chicago... his dad came up with "goodoldBlatzisbest"
My kinda guy.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 06-20-12 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-20-12, 08:16 PM
bibliobob

Ha!
Old 06-21-12, 05:33 AM
iab

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
A true Chicagoan, and not a FIB.

One of my old friends from Chicago... his dad came up with "goodoldBlatzisbest"
My kinda guy.
When I lived in Bucktown, before it became hip, the corner bar sported a Blatz sign in front. Most patrons typically were missing teeth.

just sayin'
Old 06-21-12, 05:34 AM
iab

And I thought meeting at Tony's after the ride was a given.
Old 06-21-12, 06:19 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by iab
When I lived in Bucktown, before it became hip, the corner bar sported a Blatz sign in front. Most patrons typically were missing teeth.

just sayin'
Even the men? Tony's sounds good.
Old 06-21-12, 08:44 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 1,930 Posts
Blatz = "Milwaukee gatorade"
Old 06-21-12, 12:40 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

I've notified Tony (well, his very intelligent wife, anyway. I'm not sure Tony uses a computer)
We'll see what shakes out. I've asked about a Cornish dish called pasty, which is a good night-before meal.
I don't know if any restaurants serve it much, and the last time I was home, the Methodist Church's was still the best.
Old 06-21-12, 12:55 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Hey, Robbie:

Back before dinosaurs, there were explorers trying to find the source of the Mississippi River. They came across the Great Lakes, turned Left onto Lake Michigan, and ended up in a small inlet, so they came ashore. It was very pretty, and very lush, so they called it Green Bay, and left some folks there. It became the Wisconsin territory's oldest city, and those left behind were bored, so they invented football.

As the explorers meandered their way across Wisconsin on rivers they thought would lead them to the source of the Big Muddy, they came to a dead end of sorts. Sending out patrols, they found an even bigger river about a mile away. "Must be the Mississippi," they thought, and they left some folks there, too. This became the 2nd oldest city in the territory, aptly named Portage.

To their dismay, they'd taken a wrong turn again, and ended up on a little stream called the Pecatonica. While they were sitting around wondering what to do, one of them looked at the very interesting rock formations (being in the driftless area) and spied lead ore shining from an outcropping. They knew "money," when they saw it, and left a group there, which grew into Mineral Point, the 3rd oldest city. Eventually, they made their way to the Wisconsin River, and to the 4th oldest town, Prairie du Chien, where the Wisconsin meets the Mississippi. They even found the source of the Mississippi, way up near gomango's stomping grounds....

Mineral Point became a mining town, and was soon invaded by Cornish miners, excellent stonemasons in their own right. While they waited for their families to arrive, they staked their claims in mines they dug out of the local hills. They lived in these mines, and ferociously defended their claims during the lawlessness time. They came out of their holes only to eat and fight for their claim. This earned them the nickname "Badgers."

When their families arrived, these same miners cut stones from the local hills and put them together, without mortar, because they were cut so precisely. They built homes of this stone and lined them up along a street below and along the valley, across from the mines. At lunchtime, the women would wave colored cloths to get the miners' attention and get them to come and eat. Shakerag Street is still one of the finest examples of hand-cut, mortarless stone homes you can find. The state flag bears a "Cousin Jack and Cousin Jill" which are meant to represent the miners and their wives. One of the churches they built, with flying buttresses and all, is still there, and the German organ they installed in 1835 is still played in it, having just undergone a 10-year restoration, including polishing of every single intricately engraved pipe.

I imagine the dairy stuff started when the Swiss and Germans showed up, with the beer.
As the Cornish were Methodists, this was just fine with them.

I'm working on something the night before....haven't been in the Brew Pub since it was the Walker House, soaking up money from every investor, but sounds good.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 06-21-12 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-21-12, 04:54 PM
iab

My mom has a 19th century stone farmhouse between Mineral Point and Hollendale. Closer to Hollendale. Tiny, but neat.

I really like the idea of dinner before the ride. I'm not a huge fan of pasties, but I won't say no.

I'm not opposed to the Brew Pub, we don't need to impose on Tony twice. Other than the onion rings at the Red Rooster, I don't know much of the greater Mineral Point/Dodgeville cuisine. So I am definitely open to suggestions.

Madison is another matter. Lots of good food there. I know of a place that has the best homemade pita you have ever eaten. The falafel isn't bad either.
Old 06-22-12, 04:58 PM
iab

The good news:

About a month go I caught bronchitis. It got bad enough that last week when I'd cough, it constricted the airway to the point where I couldn't breathe for about 10 seconds. That seems to be subsiding.

The bad news:

My fresh lungs were put to the test riding to work. I don't have a speedometer on the commuter, but judging by the gear and cadence, I'd say I was doing about 22 mph when turning into the parking lot. Put my knee into it and the tires slipped out from underneath me. Lots of road rash on most of my side. Sore shoulder and ribs. Quite difficult to raise my arm.

I'll bounce back but this ride will be a bit more difficult.
Old 06-22-12, 11:20 PM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mishap... heal up quickly!
Old 06-22-12, 11:53 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
This sounds like a really fun ride... I will be in Oregon chasing my wife and daughters all over the place but will look for pictures and reports.

But one day... an old French girl and I would like to try this ride and more than this, meet up with some of the equally crazy folks.
Old 06-23-12, 03:27 AM
gomango

Originally Posted by iab
The good news:

About a month go I caught bronchitis. It got bad enough that last week when I'd cough, it constricted the airway to the point where I couldn't breathe for about 10 seconds. That seems to be subsiding.

The bad news:

My fresh lungs were put to the test riding to work. I don't have a speedometer on the commuter, but judging by the gear and cadence, I'd say I was doing about 22 mph when turning into the parking lot. Put my knee into it and the tires slipped out from underneath me. Lots of road rash on most of my side. Sore shoulder and ribs. Quite difficult to raise my arm.

I'll bounce back but this ride will be a bit more difficult.
Ouch!

So painful, no doubt.

Hang in there.
Old 06-23-12, 06:22 AM
bibliobob

How are you feeling today? Better, or worse?

Dr. Bibliobob prescribes an afternoon of sipping margaritas for the pain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.