Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Where Did You Ride or Walk Today?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Where Did You Ride or Walk Today?

Old 10-21-17, 11:53 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Thanks for the encouragement! I was getting a little depressed about the darkness but this post cheered me up a bit. I work 12 hour shifts, so it's almost dark now both when I go to work and when I return.
I've been back to work the last couple of days and it is gloomy in the evening. I tend to work a bit late - to 600-630 pm, so it will be full-on dark soon, especially when the time changes. Actually, biking home a little after rush hour is preferable, and I don't mind the darkness.
Old 10-21-17, 02:04 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
Needless to say, I limit myself to enjoying wild animals now, which are wonderfully good at living independently from the natural resources of the surroundings.
+1

I love cats and dogs but I'm highly allergic to them. I had a feral cat in my house for about 3 months but my sinus were completly shut during that period. Eventually he escaped when I opened the door giving me the chance to breath again!

I feed the cats on the street but that's about it.

Last edited by Dahon.Steve; 12-17-17 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-21-17, 02:19 PM
Dahon.Steve

I went to work this afternoon in New York City taking my Xootr scooter. I take two buses to get there so there's very little walking right?

I found out years ago that when it comes to taking transit in the city, it's better to be on any bus that's heading in the direction your headed even if it leaves you 15 blocks from where you want to go. I found that waiting for the bus is one of the reasons people avoid transit. That's why I'll catch any bus at the depot since many are headed in the direction of where I want. I can do this when I'm using a kick scooter because even if alternate bus leave me 15 blocks from home, it will be a 10 minute kick scoot at best.

For example, I was at the terminal in the city waiting for the bus that would take me to the light rail. However, I noticed another bus that would leave me blocks from where I needed to go and ran for it! I simply kicked scootered to my second bus or I could have taken the light-rail. The kick scooter gives me options not really afforded to walkers.

I don't know how many steps a kick scooter takes but it gives your thighs a huge workout! The next day, your legs will feel 10 years younger. Seriously. Unfortunately, it wears off 2 days later. ;-(

https://www.xootr.com/

Last edited by Dahon.Steve; 12-17-17 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-22-17, 09:32 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
10.8 km of walking today. Not all at once, but it added up! And a lot of that was transportational with a heavy backpack.

Today was Day 1 of the step challenge I signed up for.
I can do that! I just take breaks wherever there is food.

Anyway, that's maybe 7 miles, or a trip on my bike to the end of town and back and I find myself doing that 1-3 times a good week.

Not a good week.

Last edited by Rollfast; 10-22-17 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-25-17, 09:25 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
I got in a nice 5.6 km walk this afternoon, up and around the cliffs next to "our" beach.
Old 10-25-17, 11:21 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Work and back...woohoo. Beautiful day for a ride, but I was buried in work, so nothing too fun happened.

My evening commutes now range from twilight to pitch black (I usually work until 6 or 7). It's about time to start up Wipekitty's Night Ride Adventures!
Old 10-29-17, 12:34 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Only two weeks ago it was shorts and a T-shirt. Today I wore a winter coat for the first time this season, and I got the longjohns out for later in the week.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-29-17, 12:36 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
... It's about time to start up Wipekitty's Night Ride Adventures!
Good topic! I hope you start a thread about your Adventures in Darkness soon.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 11-02-17, 09:26 AM
enes13mes

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i hate walking when you can spend the almost same energy and go 5x faster
Old 11-11-17, 01:54 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Last Sunday's walk ... or rather, hike ...

Sunday -- Although we were hoping to ride a local 100 km event, Rowan had to work today.

So instead of cycling, I decided to do a bit of a hike. Earlier in the week, something had come up on a Tasmanian tourist site on Facebook about a sea arch in our suburb. We've been here 3 years and I didn't know anything about it. So I looked it up and decided to go have a look.

First I walked along our beach, and then up into the cliffs along the ocean. From there I climbed to a road that took me quite close to the sea arch. I was puzzled for a moment because I was sure there was a way down to it, but at first all you can see are private drives. And then ... there it is! A rather camouflaged trail which descended right down the cliff with a long series of stairs.

The tiny cove with the sea arch was beautiful ... worth the hike! I took some photos which I'll post later.

And then I hiked up all those stairs and back.

Distance: 12.6 km
Elevation: 332 m
Moving Time: 2:15:45
Elapsed Time 2:43:19
Pace: 10:43/km
Photos from today ... lots more if you click the photos ...

Old 11-12-17, 11:05 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by enes13mes
i hate walking when you can spend the almost same energy and go 5x faster
My son and I debate this issue regularly. He usually wants to go the shortest/fastest route and go by bike to save time. My response is to ask him what's the use of saving time to play more video games. He understands it when I explain to him that the more he uses his muscles and pumps blood through his body, the better his health is going to be, but he argued the other day that he's not fat so he doesn't really need so much exercise. I told him that he's young so his pancreas and kidneys are still strong in filtering all the unused sugar out of his blood, but he'd still be better off burning that sugar instead of filtering out through his kidneys.

I also tried explaining to him that when a non-living machine, like a car or bike, gets used more, it causes wear and tear that have to be fixed by human labor; but when a living machine/body does exercise, it circulates blood and nutrients to repair damaged tissue; and that the exercise itself damages the tissue just enough to cause muscles to strengthen, joints to grow more protective lining, etc. So really the way we maintain and optimize our bodies is by using them during exercise.

So trying to save time/distance when biking/walking is really only good when you need the time for something productive. If you're just trying to save time to waste it on something that does you no good, like video games or media consumption, then I think you're better off taking the longer/slower route and getting more exercise in the process.
Old 11-15-17, 07:26 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Regarding walking ...

November 15, 2017 -- total to date for 2017: 1069 km

November 15, 2016 -- total to date for 2016: 936 km

November 15, 2015 -- total to date for 2015: 944 km

Still going ... even though I was slowed down recently with dental surgery. The stitches come out tomorrow!
Old 11-15-17, 08:12 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Regarding walking ...

Still going ... even though I was slowed down recently with dental surgery. The stitches come out tomorrow!
That is some serious walking!

I used to walk a lot more - but now I'm usually lazy and just hop on the bike. I walked on Saturday, though: my partner and I had to go to a training, and he kind of gave up biking and just walks everywhere. We hit around 5.2 miles for the day (and I was admittedly a bit sore the next day!)
Old 11-15-17, 11:00 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by wipekitty
That is some serious walking!

I used to walk a lot more - but now I'm usually lazy and just hop on the bike. I walked on Saturday, though: my partner and I had to go to a training, and he kind of gave up biking and just walks everywhere. We hit around 5.2 miles for the day (and I was admittedly a bit sore the next day!)
Thanks!

Because cycling into work is so much of a hassle here (and actually, cycling anywhere here is so much hassle), I do a combination of taking the bus and walking. So I get some distance in there.

Then I've got an hour for lunch, so mostly I walk. During the spring, summer, autumn I will often do a 5-5.5 km walk once or twice a week, and then slightly shorter walks the other days.

When I'm taking classes, I will walk the 3 km between work and university at least once each week, sometime more frequently. And then it's 1.7 km from the university to where I can catch the bus home. So a uni day is at least 4.7 km of walking, plus a bit extra because I've usually walked part of the way to work at the beginning of the day as well. Sometimes I walk in between classes too, if there's time.

And Rowan and I will often go for a walk after work down to the beach and back which is about 3 km, give or take a bit depending on how far along the beach we go. It's a chance to talk without the distractions of technology.

Weekends are usually for cycling (and we do cycle after work sometimes too), so those walking distances are mostly accomplished over 5 days during the week.
Old 11-23-17, 10:34 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Today, I walked the other direction at lunch, and hit the most km I've walked in a week this year (over 41 km ... I'll have to check the exact totals).

I've been going to the Botanical Gardens, and will again next week, but I thought I'd head to Salamanca today. Salamanca is a historic and artsy area. The buildings and little laneways are interesting, and they've often got interesting things to look at in the galleries and shops. I'm trying to get ideas of something small and light I can send to my North American family.

Because of a workplace health thing I've signed up for, I need to get some "green time" each day, so I walked through parks at either end of the "street" shown in the photos below.

The main "street" through Salamanca ... both are my photos taken a few years ago ...

Old 11-24-17, 01:50 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
15 miles round trip to the cousins' Thanksgiving lunch.

Old 12-11-17, 01:16 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Winter is coming - time to stock up on sidewalk de-icer! I walked to the gas station and then walked home with a 20lb. bag of sidewalk salt. The gas station is less than half a mile away, so it's a good exercise.

I also got in a bike ride - just riding around, though, rather than doing anything productive.
Old 12-13-17, 05:09 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Regarding walking ...

December 13, 2017 -- 1208 km

December 13, 2016 -- 1052 km

December 13, 2015 -- 1055 km

I've been doing a lot of hikes to the Botanical Gardens and back, including again today.

I've also started running!!
Old 12-13-17, 08:36 AM
HotdogLegend

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride my bike to school every day. It's a 6km ride downhill, so it's quite enjoyable.
Old 12-13-17, 08:42 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Yesterday at the jobsite in Northern Ontario I walked from the hotel to work 1.7 km in -17C weather but it was brutal with a strong headwind, so I took a cab back in the evening. However I had the cab drop me at a grocery store, so I did do the equivalent of about half the distance to work, schlepping the groceries home.

Today I wimped out and took the "free" hotel shuttle to work as it was -22C, but I'll try to walk back, as it is supposed to warm up a bit over the course of the day. I forgot to bring a scarf and I would have been much better off just with that one extra item.

Last edited by cooker; 12-13-17 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-15-17, 03:44 AM
DrNeville

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like a beautifull ride
Old 12-17-17, 06:21 PM
Dahon.Steve

I rode my bike to the laundromat today using a backpack. I'm the only person who does this as everyone either uses a car or takes uses a grandma shopping cart. I'm in and out real fast.

However, some people have large families and have more clothes that can't fit in a backpack. If I were in their shoes, I would still be using the bike but with some kind of trailer.
Old 12-18-17, 12:03 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Off the bike last Friday and today thanks to ice on the road, but I am walking the dog 2+ km every day about 1-2 km to and from public transit.
Old 12-22-17, 04:14 PM
khyricat

Bikes: hopefully a Sun Traditional Trike

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no bike yet (still not spring, and if I had one the snow/ice would have kept me off of it..)..

up to 1,111 miles for the year... ok- that was a pretty cool number to happen to catch it on when I checked!
Old 12-23-17, 09:50 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Having what looks to be a very white Christmas, so I might be on foot only, for the rest of this year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.