Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Struck with an object

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Struck with an object

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-11, 11:32 AM
DaCiscoKid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Struck with an object

I'm riding along minding my own business - I'm as far to the right as I can be, not obstructing traffic, and moving at a half decent pace (guessing around 18+) when there is suddenly a pretty hard thud off of the back of my right side rib cage. Knowing that I was hit with something, I look back to see an almost full large frozen plastic chocolate milkshake container skidding along behind me. Because I didn't see it coming, I had the thrower narrowed down to 2 possible vehicles - a Mustang and a white Van. Now pissed as hell and realizing that the cars will probably get stuck in traffic at a busy stop sign about a half mile away, I accelerated and pressed the bike as fast as I could go. I managed to catch up to the vehicles fairly winded but still out for blood just as the Mustang was hitting the stop sign. Still not knowing for sure who through it, I thought about trying to jump in front of the Mustang, blocking both cars, and then figuring out who did it. Looking over at the side of the van as I'm riding past, I noticed that milkshake drops were sprayed on the side of the van, and realized that this was confirmation of the vehicle that did it. I get up to the passenger side window as the Mustang pulls away, and am surprised to see a female, mid 20's, in the passenger seat. Loudly asking "you like to throw stuff?" as I'm dismounting, the "girl", after a slight pause (she didn't expect me to catch up...) says "Yea, and FU" with a big smile as the driver (who I never saw) runs through the stop sign. Nice! What totally wonderful people!!!

Knowing that there's no way I'm going to be able to catch them again and really pissed at myself now as well for not at least kicking the side of the van or having something to throw, I did look at the license plate before mumbling to myself "why, what's the point...". When I get home and tell the story to my wife (who's always much more levelheaded than myself) states that I should have never been looking to draw blood in the first place and I should have been only looking to get the plate and call the police.

So, I have to ask in the event something like this happens again - If I had gotten the plate, would calling the Police have done any good?
Old 07-19-11, 11:39 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Call the police and find out....
Then we will all know the answer.

Old 07-19-11, 11:41 AM
Squirrelli
GONE~

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaCiscoKid
If I had gotten the plate, would calling the Police have done any good?
The cops will pay a visit to the house if the person is a multiple offender.
Old 07-19-11, 11:47 AM
Gorden Gekko
White Bags + Red eggs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Female Mid 20's......Did you get her phone number???
Old 07-19-11, 11:50 AM
MDfive21

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaCiscoKid

So, I have to ask in the event something like this happens again - If I had gotten the plate, would calling the Police have done any good?
yes, probably. best thing to do is take the plate # to the police station (or sub-station if you're in a large city) and tell them you are prepared to ID your assailant immediately and that you will come back to testify in court. if you just call in the license plate you will probably get nowhere on something like this. if you go in and convince the cops it's worth their time to go find a perp, you may get some traction. ymmv

fwiw, i had a similar problem once. got soaked by some jerk that threw a full big gulp sized soft drink at me. i gave chase but turned off on a side street when i realized i would probably get shot at (not kidding) if i closed them down.
Old 07-19-11, 11:53 AM
JAJ0404

Bikes: 2004 Specialized Roubaix Comp 18

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I had stuff like that happen to me when I lived in DC so much I started carrying a small notebook and a golf pencil for license numbers. I lived in a condo building that happened to house two officers, one of which would take those plates, and when in the right mood, put the fear of God into the people. Without an inside source, I'd still say report it. I believe they keep track of those reports and if they start getting the same guy over and over they'd probably take action. Might not help you, but eventually it should thin out the herd a little for all of us.
Old 07-19-11, 11:55 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Cell phone picture and call to the cops FTW.
Old 07-19-11, 12:00 PM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there was a similar article in bicycling magazine...If i remember correctly...and i have the magazine out now..so im looking to confirm...the guy didn't get the license plate number (he had a slushy from Sonic thrown at him) but he got the cup and tried to get it printed or something but couldnt get anything worth while. But he stated that it's definitely an assault charge and could be even worse since he was on a bike in heavy traffic.
Old 07-19-11, 12:02 PM
Vicelord
Banned

Bikes: BMC RoadRacer SL01, Kona Kula FrankensteinDeluxe, Schwinn Powerglide.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You have three options here:

1. get plate and call police immediately.
2. kick the van as hard as you can. I did this once in a similar situation. It can get you in a ton of trouble, but the chances of someone calling the cops over it is slim considering they just threw **** at you.
3. Attempt to pull the driver out of the vehicle and beat the living eff out of him/her. This may get you in more trouble as there would be lots of witnesses. This strategy is only recommended if you have a clean record and can prove you were hit with an object. It's also risky (where I live) because so many people have firearms.
Old 07-19-11, 12:05 PM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicelord
3. Attempt to pull the driver out of the vehicle and beat the living eff out of him/her. This may get you in more trouble as there would be lots of witnesses. This strategy is only recommended if you have a clean record and can prove you were hit with an object. It's also risky (where I live) because so many people have firearms.
This wins the dumb answer of the day award.
Old 07-19-11, 12:07 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don' think beating the **** out of a girl would fly regardless of what happened...I would have gotten the tag and called the cops immediately...wreck my bike as hard as possible against something hard....then sue the **** out of her (insurance)
Old 07-19-11, 12:07 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by sbxx1985
The most entertaining answer so far...

Old 07-19-11, 12:29 PM
Vicelord
Banned

Bikes: BMC RoadRacer SL01, Kona Kula FrankensteinDeluxe, Schwinn Powerglide.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sbxx1985
This wins dumbest answer to a facetious response of the day.
Old 07-19-11, 12:43 PM
zigmeister

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Get plate number, call police. Make them file a report for sure, and call the DA, and harass them to press charges.
Old 07-19-11, 12:51 PM
JayC
Guadzilla

Bikes: Pinarello F4:13 W/Campy Reecord & Blue RC6 W/SRAM Force

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
We reported an incident similar to this a couple of weeks ago. Police did nothing and what happened with us was way worse.

My girlfriend and I were out riding. People came by throwing stuff at us. They went up and turned around and threw more stuff at us. Turned around again and came by us throwing even more stuff. I saw them start to turn around to come back at us again and told her to get off her bike. I got off mine, took my shoes off because I was going to throw down if they stopped. She was standing about a foot and a half in the road in the opposite lane. They swerved the car across the center line and hit her and kept on going. I had the make and model of the car, probably was within a few years of the year of the car too and all but the last two digits of the plate. Reported it to the NC State Highway Patrol, they did nothing. The officer on duty that took the call's reponse? "Why would anyone do that unprovoked? You must have been doing something to instigate it."

Guess the guy has never been out on a bike before.
Old 07-19-11, 01:03 PM
JAJ0404

Bikes: 2004 Specialized Roubaix Comp 18

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DropDeadFred
I would have gotten the tag and called the cops immediately...wreck my bike as hard as possible against something hard....then sue the **** out of her (insurance)
Hmmmmm, I think you've just opened a market for wrecked $8,000 bikes. I buy one for $100 and keep it in my trunk just in case. "Look what they did to my beautiful $8,000 bike officer. Get plenty of pictures, sir."
Old 07-19-11, 01:33 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Helmet cam. It's hard to refute video. I wear one every time I ride, for exactly this reason.

This pic came from a close call - truck was going about twice as fast as we were. Call to police meant little until I showed them the picture and the clip. The driver got a visit. No one got hurt.
Old 07-19-11, 01:43 PM
rkelley23

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
was she cute? : )
Old 07-19-11, 01:47 PM
turkey9186

Bikes: 2014 CDale EVO, 2007 System Six, 2004 Litespeed Solano, 2002 Burley Duet

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been hit by a full can of beer thrown by two soldiers from Ft Campbell KY. MPs attitude when given a vehicle description...So what is the problem?
A CHP officer deliberately runs cyclists off the road during a sanctioned century ride, and then threaten riders with arrest when they confront him.
Quote from a Solano county sheriff deputy after being hit by an individual leaning out of a car window. "I did not see it happen, I can not do anything about it." Yes I gave them a full plate number, description of the car and the individual.
Just like protecting your home, you are on your own on the road.
Old 07-19-11, 01:50 PM
Brimstone_
noob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The police are too busy trying to generate revenue and making sure people aren't smoking pot to track down someone harassing a cyclist. They seem to have plenty of time to pull me over and check to see if my window tint is too dark or set up speed traps at the bottom of steep 15 mph hills, but instances like this only provide them with paperwork and hassles.

Chalk it up to experience. Some people are just *******s.
Old 07-19-11, 01:50 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by turkey9186
I have been hit by a full can of beer thrown by two shoulders from Ft Campbell KY. MPs attitude when given a vehicle description...So what is the problem?
A CHP officer deliberately runs cyclists off the road during a sanctioned century ride, and then threaten riders with arrest when they confront him.
Quote from a Solano county sheriff deputy after being hit by an individual leaning out of a car window. "I did not see it happen, I can not do anything about it." Yes I gave them a full plate number, description of the car and the individual.
Just like protecting your home, you are on your own on the road.
Shoulders? wut?
Old 07-19-11, 01:51 PM
nixternal
Fat man in a little coat

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX, Trek 1.2T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess you are probably more level headed than I am, because you asked questions first. When I get the chance, I never ask questions first, and thus far has cost a couple hundred in fines. I have since chilled and reverted back to calling them names, flipping them off, you name it, so they start the issue, not me, though that hasn't worked yet either. Here, the police won't even come to a call unless I know where the vehicle is and know who the driver is. Now I just go out and smile at them, wave, and tell everyone they are my fans
Old 07-19-11, 01:51 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Helmet cam. It's hard to refute video. I wear one every time I ride, for exactly this reason.

This pic came from a close call - truck was going about twice as fast as we were. Call to police meant little until I showed them the picture and the clip. The driver got a visit. No one got hurt.
What helmet cam are you using?
Old 07-19-11, 02:00 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JayC
We reported an incident similar to this a couple of weeks ago. Police did nothing and what happened with us was way worse.

My girlfriend and I were out riding. People came by throwing stuff at us. They went up and turned around and threw more stuff at us. Turned around again and came by us throwing even more stuff. I saw them start to turn around to come back at us again and told her to get off her bike. I got off mine, took my shoes off because I was going to throw down if they stopped. She was standing about a foot and a half in the road in the opposite lane. They swerved the car across the center line and hit her and kept on going. I had the make and model of the car, probably was within a few years of the year of the car too and all but the last two digits of the plate. Reported it to the NC State Highway Patrol, they did nothing. The officer on duty that took the call's reponse? "Why would anyone do that unprovoked? You must have been doing something to instigate it."

wow im appalled...i bet your best bet would be to make the report and then contact a local bike patrol officer...usually they will be more understanding...or at least I would hope so...this stuff it out of hand
Old 07-19-11, 02:52 PM
vandalarchitect
Vandalized since 2002

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
As much as it sucks, I'm not surprised the police did nothing about this.

Originally Posted by JayC

Police can't arrest a car, nor can it be charged with assault. If this ever happens to you, get the plate number and a description of the driver. If the officer on duty claims you must have provoked then insist that they write up a report and shrug it off. The next time it happens to you or someone else, they might start to put the pieces together. Finally, don't ever take no for an answer when calling it in to the police. You pay your taxes, you're a law-abiding citizen, you deserve service and protection by the men and women who are sworn to serve and protect.

Last edited by vandalarchitect; 07-19-11 at 03:23 PM. Reason: typo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.