Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike racks for carbon fiber bikes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bike racks for carbon fiber bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-11, 08:14 AM
BlueWilier

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by M_Wales
I'm using the Thule 517 Peloton fork mount with both my carbon bikes with no worries.

https://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._400005_400169

Along with the 450 crossroad railing feet.

And 50" load bars

Have the Pelotin 517 also. Great rack. Easy to use. On and off are about a minute each.
Old 06-13-11, 08:18 AM
chuckstyl5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for the Peloton -- I have 2 for my GF's bike and mine which is carbon and they are great!!
Old 06-13-11, 10:30 AM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JayC
Hey guys!

My very first hitch mount was in fact the Swagman. Its a decent rack, holds the bikes really sturdy and its made pretty well. My biggest problem with the Swagman, and that carries over to the Stick Up and whatever the other one is from Thule, they make contact with the top tube. The bikes will vibrate around enough in the rack that eventually you'll start to mar the top tube. You can put a microfiber rag between the hook and top tube and that does help but then you have rags you have to keep up with every time you're loading and unloading your bikes. It's also a real negative when you are carrying bikes with cables across the top tube like mountain bikes. You have to put the rag between the cables and the frame.

Thats really the only negative I can say about the Swagman. Its light, it can be locked and it does a good job of carrying the bikes. Just the whole top tube thing kind of stinks.

If I was buying today, I still would buy the Raxter. I have a Yakima Holdup right now and its alright but in the grand scheme of things, I still think the Raxter is better. Its lighter, its easier to load the bikes and with the adjustability in bike position on the rack, you can fit just about anything on it.

Im hoping to obtain a Kuat towards the end of the season to review. I emailed them and they were very receptive, they just said their stock was too low to do it at the time.

In conclusion, of all the racks I have owned, this is probably how I would rank them.

1 - Raxter
2 - CycleOn Pro
3 - Thule T2
4 - Yakima Hold Up
5 - Swagman
6 - Thelma

Id rank the Thelma lower if I could

Hope that helps you guys and Ill be happy to answer any more questions you may have. I'm trying to hang around here more now that Im actually riding again.
Did you ever hear back from 1UP on their Quik Rack? That is the rack that I am most impressed with. However, it is also the most expensive. For the money it would be hard to beat Raxter.
Old 06-13-11, 11:00 AM
JayC
Guadzilla

Bikes: Pinarello F4:13 W/Campy Reecord & Blue RC6 W/SRAM Force

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
Did you ever hear back from 1UP on their Quik Rack? That is the rack that I am most impressed with. However, it is also the most expensive. For the money it would be hard to beat Raxter.
I did.. they are also interested in me doing a review and Im planning to contact them again in August.

Ill probably do a review on the Yakima just to add it to the list. The only really bad thing I can say about Yakima is their packaging sucks. I got 2 Hold Ups and both were beat all to hell when I opened the box. Trays cracked, paint scraped off the racks, etc. I managed to disassemble one of them and with the other, make a functional unit.

I thought long and hard about going back to the Cycle On Pro. Its a great rack and the tool less hitch mount would have been great on my new car.
Old 06-13-11, 11:01 AM
JayC
Guadzilla

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jgjulio
+1
Love the Thelma.
Wait till you get caught up in some wind and see how much you love it. That rack DESTROYED a front wheel on my bike when I got caught up in a freak windstorm.
Old 06-13-11, 11:02 AM
JayC
Guadzilla

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueWilier
Have the Pelotin 517 also. Great rack. Easy to use. On and off are about a minute each.
LOL.. this is actually what I went to when I had my Mazda 3 with roof rack and yea, these are great racks.
Old 06-13-11, 05:11 PM
BigK75

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Jayc:

Thanks for the great reviews. I really want the Raxter as well but the Swagman is so much cheaper I cannot resist trying. I am going to see what happens with the Swagman. If the guy does not respond to me I will just order the Raxter. Thanks again for the advice.

Claude
Old 06-13-11, 05:31 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
Inside the car is better than any rack.
Yea, I transport one of my bikes nearly every day (as does my wife) and it is exclusively inside the car.

OP: What sort of hassle is taking off the wheel? Certainly you dont' think properly attaching it to any carrier rack, no matter what the style, is easier or quicker? By the way, if I can fit my bike inside a Subaru Forster or Outback wagon without taking off the wheel, surely you can do the same with a Forerunner, no?

The only reasons to have an exterior carrier rack of any sort are (1) if you just can't fit it inside the car (my wife and I both drive Subarus; I also have a Suburban with a fork mount inside) - like if you have stuff in the back or (2) you have to carry more than one bike.

We have a Yakima tray type, not hanging type for when we need it, but we use it very rarely.

By the way, I really don't understand the worry about using this type with a carbon frame. The downward pressure on the top tube is very low. Certainly a small fraction of one's body weight as you can't possibly push down on it with that much force, plus you never would because it's just not required. As for scuffing - which is a potential issue for the bike whether it's steel, alloy or cf - that's easily prevented by putting a piece of clear frame protector tape on the tube and/or some temporary duct tape or such.

Last edited by Camilo; 06-13-11 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-13-11, 08:50 PM
jgjulio

Bikes: 2020 Veego 750, 2011 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 08 Trek 7200, Very Old Schwinn Cruiser

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JayC
Wait till you get caught up in some wind and see how much you love it. That rack DESTROYED a front wheel on my bike when I got caught up in a freak windstorm.
OK I will run my life on "freak" events.
Old 06-14-11, 06:26 AM
hamsey

Bikes: Trek Series 6 P1 & Cronux CX Flatbar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got one of these last week: https://www.kuatinnovations.com/index.php?page=sherpa Love it. Does not touch the frame. Very well built. And it's weights 33 lb. vs the 60 for the Thule and Yakima. Only problem is the security cable is too short to lock 2 bikes so I ordered another cable. I bought the rack at: www.etrailer.com
Old 06-14-11, 06:41 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
I have used Thule roof racks for eons.

I have traveled thousands of km on highways, up and over major mountains, in wind, rain, hail (once) and typhoons all with 4 carbon bikes on the roof.

Not one problem.

I don't like putting a bike inside the car because the chain gets grease in places where I don't want grease to be.

I don't understand this thinking that a bike (regardless of material) needs to e constantly babied or it will crumble into a smoldering pile. Think of what you do to it when you ride it.

Roof racks are how GOD intended bikes to be carried.

Old 06-14-11, 07:52 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd rather get grease in my car (truck) than bugs & road dirt and rocks hitting my bike, and getting ground in there by rain and 65+ mph wind. 3 weeks ago I was traveling back from Moab over Vail Pass in a blizzard and one of the bikes got blown part way out of the yakima steelhead fork clamp. Luckily it leaned on the other bike up there and we were able to pull over and fix it before it was damaged. The bike didn't have lawyer tabs on the fork.
Old 06-14-11, 08:16 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
I'd rather get grease in my car (truck) than bugs & road dirt and rocks hitting my bike, and getting ground in there by rain and 65+ mph wind. 3 weeks ago I was traveling back from Moab over Vail Pass in a blizzard and one of the bikes got blown part way out of the yakima steelhead fork clamp. Luckily it leaned on the other bike up there and we were able to pull over and fix it before it was damaged. The bike didn't have lawyer tabs on the fork.
1. The same thing happens when you ride, Soap and water fix that.

2. User error.

Old 06-14-11, 10:33 AM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is a concern of mine with roof racks. My bike doesn't have lawyer tables on the fork and I have this fear of it coming off the roof. There is a roof racks that grabs the frame at the down tube with rubber jaws and if it didn't scratch the frame, I would be more confident that the bike was secure with this rack.
Old 06-14-11, 10:42 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Draft master. Expensive, but very well engineered, and very customizeable.

OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-14-11, 12:06 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I found this roof mounted bike rack doing a Google search. The bike is attached by the crank. The rack is called the Crankster.

I haven't found much about it but looks like a good solution.

https://www.discount-trailers.com/bike_roof_rack.htm
Old 07-08-11, 01:40 PM
JayC
Guadzilla

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quick update to this thread.. Kuat is sending me out a rack to review. I should be able ot hopefully post something week after next. 1UP is not interested in having a review done. They said their rack was selling well enough it wasnt worth it to them to have someone review it.

Truthfully the Kuat NV looks like it could be the ultimate hitch rack. I hope it performs as well as it sounds. Built in repair stand??!! Thats awesome! We shall see in about a week.
Old 07-15-11, 03:01 PM
Flying Foot Doc

Bikes: Giant eStance2, raised carbon handlebars , dropper post & Raceface Ride pedals

Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Has anyone used the Kuat Sherpa or NV with a road bike? What concerns me is damage to the front brake from the hold down bar. Any experience - good or bad would be appreciated. Andy
Old 07-15-11, 04:14 PM
grwoolf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just went through this decision and decided to try the Swagman (link below). I normally put my bike in my truck, but we've got a family trip planned and will have the truck filled with luggage and will be hauling 4 or 5 bikes up to Colorado. I wanted something to support the wheels, the price was right, and very few bad reviews.

I ordered it through amazon and it arrived today (came with a cable lock and locking hitch thing which were supposed to be extras, so nice suprise). Seems very well made. It's sitting in my dining room waiting for assembly, so far it's the best bike rack I've ever owned (first). Possible review to follow after I've actually used the thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Cross-.../dp/B000GKN45C
Old 07-15-11, 04:41 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Joey Li

4) If the bike is on the roof it can hit bridges or tunnels.
....or garage doors!

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/438652-Bike-vs-Garage-Door?highlight=garage+door

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ht=garage+door
Old 07-15-11, 04:46 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
+1
Love the Thelma.
I have one too and like it. I greatly prefer a hitch rack to a roof rack. However, though it works very well, lately I've taken to laying two bikes on their sides inside the SUV with a doubled moving blanket between them. With the rear seats folded down they fit assembled, one facing forward and one back. They're out of the dirt and rain, and more secure from theft and damage. I can fit the car in the garage with the bikes in it whereas it won't easily fit with the bikes on the hitch rack.
Old 07-15-11, 05:02 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not sure where you live, but right after I read this thread, I came across this:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...496391629.html

Thule Bike Rack for rear tow hitch ...holds a total of 4 bikes. Good condition. Fits a Chev Suburban/Tahoe Ford Expedition OEM hitch. ***$75.00****

Don't know the model, but thought I would post in case it helped you in any way. Good luck!
Old 07-15-11, 09:07 PM
jgjulio

Bikes: 2020 Veego 750, 2011 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 08 Trek 7200, Very Old Schwinn Cruiser

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dpeters11
We have a Saris Thelma 2 bike, one of ours is a carbon Ruby. Works great if you have a hitch. Nice thing is nothing touches the frame.
+1
I love my Thelma rack!
Old 08-14-11, 01:42 PM
JayC
Guadzilla

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
OK I will run my life on "freak" events.
The point it, every other rack would have laughed at the wind and kept right on going. The Thelma, because of the way its made wont do that. Its a good rack for what it is but given the cost versus other things out there like the StickUp, I dont know why people would use it other than its really light.
Old 08-14-11, 01:44 PM
JayC
Guadzilla

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Finally got a Kuat NV. They were redesigning the rack and wanted to send me the latest one to review. I assembled it out in the laboratory this morning, took about 40 minutes or so. A complete review is forthcoming however I have to say, if you're in the market for a rack and you can afford this one, its the one to have. The workmanship and design blow away everything Ive ever seen. If there was ever a fitting item for the "over engineered" moniker, this rack is it. So many subtle touches on this rack that to a regular person, they probably wouldnt even notice it but to anyone that's seen a zillion racks, this is one nice piece.

There's a lot of places they could have cut corners and didnt. Looks like my Yakima isnt going to be seeing much use from here on out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.