Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking for input from Garmin users

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Looking for input from Garmin users

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-11, 11:20 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Heavy coverage from branches and leaves block signals. The model doesn't make any difference.
Old 08-15-11, 12:28 PM
hhnngg1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JAJ0404
I looked into getting a Garmin a year or so back and decided against it because I read that it didn't work well in heavily wooded areas, and I ride through quite a few of those. Now I'm hearing that they might have cleared that up with the 500, any experiences you can lend? I'd be fine (not thrilled) if I just lost the ability to see a speed for a few hundred yards, but would I have that distance counted in my total distance? i.e., does it just not show you the data in wooded areas, or is not recording the data?
https://www.bikeforums.net/newreply.p...ply&p=13062506

For $125, you get get a Garmine Forerunner 305, and for another $40 the speed/cadence sensor. Works great on a bike.

Wooded areas not a problem. It might seem to be glitching for instantaneous tracking since cover does interfere with the GPS, but the Garmin does a great job in recapturing the signal often enough that your data points will be overall accurate when you go home and upload the data to computer and see the data points on the map. So it might not be perfect for 'instant' feedback, but it's extremely accurate for overall data - haven't had a single problem with screwy data points even after 2 years of riding in some heavy tree cover.
Old 08-15-11, 12:43 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MajorMantra
The 500 has been pretty much perfect as a recording device for me. However, it has crashed numerous times for me when using the 'Courses' feature to navigate. From googling it appears that this is a common problem, something to bear in mind if you want to upload routes.
Have you gone to the Garmin website and updated your firmware. If I'm not mistaken, that was a known issue and was supposed to have been fixed with an update.
Old 08-16-11, 06:39 AM
MajorMantra

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pallen
Have you gone to the Garmin website and updated your firmware. If I'm not mistaken, that was a known issue and was supposed to have been fixed with an update.
I have the latest firmware. And the issue has not gone away apparently, unless they've made a very recent update.

See this for example:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=5225&page=10
Old 08-16-11, 08:10 AM
JayC
Guadzilla

Bikes: Pinarello F4:13 W/Campy Reecord & Blue RC6 W/SRAM Force

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RecceDG
My 705 works fine in the woods.

The high-sensitivity antennae used on GPS starting about 5 years ago solved the "tree-cover" problem pretty much definitively.

DG

+1.. My 705 has been great except when it went flying off the top of my car at 60 MPH.
Old 08-16-11, 08:15 AM
Breal

Bikes: Tarmac S- Works; Cervelo S5; Lynskey Helix; Crux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I_Like_Bike
No issues with the 500 great device

No tree issues here. Rode the "Tunnel of Trees" in northern Michigan which has some pretty large stretches of thick canopy and never had a lost signal.
Old 08-16-11, 08:18 AM
atlas750

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been using my garmin 500 for over a year. I love it. not much tree cover here in Houston so that has never been an issue for me. I think the cadence/speed sensor is a must. I Have also used while skiing in Colorado and it worked great.
Old 08-16-11, 08:36 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

I have the latest firmware. And the issue has not gone away apparently, unless they've made a very recent update.

See this for example:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=5225&page=10
No, I think the latest version was a while back. I just remembered reading about that issue and saw that it was supposed to have been fixed. Guess not - bummer.
Old 08-16-11, 09:04 AM
MajorMantra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, I think the latest version was a while back. I just remembered reading about that issue and saw that it was supposed to have been fixed. Guess not - bummer.
It is. The 500 is a great computer but it has a critical bug that compromises one of its neatest functions, i.e. the ability to actually navigate.
Old 08-16-11, 09:06 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

It is. The 500 is a great computer but it has a critical bug that compromises one of its neatest functions, i.e. the ability to actually navigate.
does it happen with GPX files or just the TCX courses? or both? I've been using GPX with the 705 with no issues.
Old 08-16-11, 09:20 AM
RedC

Bikes: Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JAJ0404
that's perfect, i can just leave my wireless on the front for the first ride or two to see how the distances compare. I was considering picking up a new computer with cadence anyway (I've never had cadence) so this works out great.

Thanks again everyone for the input.
Don't be surprised if there is some difference because your wireless varies with tire pressure. Anything measured off your wheel is less accurate than GPS technology
Old 08-16-11, 09:29 AM
RedC

Bikes: Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by c_mack9
ebay has the garmin edge 305 refurb with cadence sensor and HR monitor for about $160. i do not have a computer at all at the moment, i normally use an android app called cardio trainer. it does great but i want real time stats and casence so i considered a cateye double wireless for the speed/cadence real time read outs and run the cardio trainer in my saddle bag like always then i saw the ebay 305. can i upload my stats from the 305 to my pc and it gives me all the ride data like cardio trainer? i see the more expensize garmins do but im not sure about the 305, does anyone have a link to their rides they tract with their 305?
Either to Garmin Connect or Map My Rides. I download to both routinely. Garmin Connect gives speed, heart rate, cadence and altitude plus a map of where you went and reports of week, month, any time frame you want to compare results. I've had my 305 for over 2 years now and love it.
Old 08-16-11, 10:05 AM
c_mack9

Bikes: 2013 Tarmac Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedC
Either to Garmin Connect or Map My Rides. I download to both routinely. Garmin Connect gives speed, heart rate, cadence and altitude plus a map of where you went and reports of week, month, any time frame you want to compare results. I've had my 305 for over 2 years now and love it.
awesome, thank you. i may have to spring for one of those when i get paid.
Old 08-16-11, 06:47 PM
NotZeroSix

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac S-Works SL3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Garmin 800 bundle and its the biggest waste of money I have ever spent on a cycling product. Ive had random shut-offs, failed uploads, slow processing speed, mediocre battery life, and lost data. The list just goes on. I bought mine at $450+tax, almost $200 off the retail price and it still wasnt worth it. I dont recommend it to anyone because its down-right expensive and unreliable.

Also, if you look at the Garmin Forums theres tons of information where users are having the same problems. Its sad to say but Garmin needs to spend money on making reliable products than to sponsor teams.
Old 08-16-11, 10:24 PM
Jandro 

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NotZeroSix
I have the Garmin 800 bundle and its the biggest waste of money I have ever spent on a cycling product. Ive had random shut-offs, failed uploads, slow processing speed, mediocre battery life, and lost data. The list just goes on. I bought mine at $450+tax, almost $200 off the retail price and it still wasnt worth it. I dont recommend it to anyone because its down-right expensive and unreliable.

Also, if you look at the Garmin Forums theres tons of information where users are having the same problems. Its sad to say but Garmin needs to spend money on making reliable products than to sponsor teams.
Funny, I have the complete oposite experience. I have the 800 and have never once had a problem. It has surprisingly awesome battery life, and none of the other issues you mentioned. /shrug

I have recommended it to anyone who asked. None of them have had any problems to my knowledge.
Old 08-18-11, 05:48 AM
MajorMantra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
does it happen with GPX files or just the TCX courses? or both? I've been using GPX with the 705 with no issues.
I think I've only used TCX but I'm struggling to remember right now. From what I've read this problem is unique to the 500 so I'm not surprised if the 705 works fine. I vaguely remember one suggestion being that having too many course points overloaded the system - there is some scope for experimentation to try and reduce crashes. As it stands, my 500 has frozen and/or shut down every single time I've used it to navigate for 60+ miles, and sometimes for shorter distances too IIRC.
Old 08-26-11, 11:43 AM
lopek77
Banned

Bikes: With round 700c & 26" wheels

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have Garmin 305...no problems in wooded areas at all. From my and my friends experience using garmin 305 is problems with signal around high rise buildings ( downtown of big city ) and another problem is with battery life. My battery can last around 10-13 hours only, meaning that you need to find the way to recharge it for longer trips. I found a solution to this problem here: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post13088993
Old 08-26-11, 08:55 PM
c_mack9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok i just rode with my used 305 i got from ebay. the battery is almost dead at 5 hours and it will not send the data to garmin connect. is there a fix for this or should i just get a refund?
Old 08-27-11, 12:21 AM
Watchdog

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Blizzard (stolen), Haro Roscoe (sold), Giant TCX Rabobank, Cervelo RS, Rocky Mountain Altitude

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
Been using a 500 since early Spring. No issues. Use it with two bikes. The 500 can support up to three. I have the chainstay mounted Garmin pickup on one bike and a Trek DuoTrap in-frame sensor for the other bike. Sometimes the unit does not pick up cadence ... and it is because I forgot to re-set the bicycle in the settings.
My computer has not been picking up cadence for a while. I changed the battery to ensure I have a new one and it still does not read cadence now. I'm wondering if there's a setting I changed by mistake. Could you please let me know what you meanby forgetting to reset the bicycle in the settings? Is this specific to the DuoTrap?
Old 08-27-11, 01:38 AM
lopek77
Banned

Bikes: With round 700c & 26" wheels

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Refund!, unless it was stated in the listing that this garmin was half dead :-) U can find 305 for around $120 or less, brand new with hart rate monitor. Good luck.

Originally Posted by c_mack9
ok i just rode with my used 305 i got from ebay. the battery is almost dead at 5 hours and it will not send the data to garmin connect. is there a fix for this or should i just get a refund?
Old 08-27-11, 07:21 AM
c_mack9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i updated the firmware and it is working just fine now. it hadnt been used in a little over a year so it needed it. all is good now but thanks.